Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
What about this from the michelin website:
Do you guys not use latex on carbon wheels?

Recommendations of use of LATEX Inner Tubes:
"Recommendations for use enabling you to take full advantage of the characteristics and high performance of MICHELIN latex inner tubes"
- Every time a tyre is changed or fitted, we recommend fitting a new latex inner tube.
- Each time a tyre is changed or fitted with a MICHELIN Latex inner tube, we recommend the use of a new MICHELIN rim tape.
- Do not use MICHELIN latex inner tubes with carbon fibre rims
- As the Latex inner tube is a very technical product, MICHELIN advise against repairing it.

I thought Michelin stopped producing latex tubes anyway?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I have installed latex tubes onto rims with Veloplugs, electrical tape, Stan's tape, standard plastic rim tape.... All were successful. I do not see the huge fear people have with latex tubes.

Have been using latex on some wheels with veloplugs, but no tape. No problems so far, so I am kind of curious, how important is the tape? How likely do you think the latex can be punctured by a veloplug? Or, is the tape to add insurance that the veloplugs don't fall out?

thanks,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my theories with latex tubes is that issues may arise when the tube is allowed to go completely flat, as might be the case with race only wheels. No air in the tube allows the bead to separate, giving the latex tube an opportunity to work it's way through upon reinflation.

Whenever one of my wheels sits long enough to lose all or most of its air, I like to I put a few lbs in first and then pinch all the way around to be sure the tube is not peeking out under the bead.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I've got ~40k miles riding nothing but latex tubes (Challenge, Michelin, Vredestein, Vittoria), and I've never experienced this.

I've only used michelin latex so far. Any comments/comparisons on the durability or ease of use or anything else on the other brands?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Only took me once, 5 bucks is a lot of money when you are 10 and have no job. Screwed up installing a tube dad said tough crap you screwed up walk until you can buy another one.. My dad wasn't even one of those mean ones it was just a common sense check your work kind of thing, that and at the time 5 bucks was probably a lot even to them.

Never had a bike in our day ... or a road. When I was a lad we 'ad to drag ourselves t' the mine with our tongues. --> Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh... I forgot Bontrager, too. Been buying Vittorias from Ribble for <$9ea and I'm very happy with them. Bontragers and Michelin are good. I haven't used Challenge in awhile. Didn't like them much. They came with some slimy stuff on them and the QC seemed poor. I have some 7 year old thick Vredestein tubes that are awesome for durability... but of course they are heavy...110g. They lose some pinch flat and puncture resistance I think, but you don't need to be as careful with installation and such. They also don't leak as fast, and the Crr is just as good. I wish they still made them because that's what I'd recommend "beginners" get. The thin superlite Vred tubes are fragile as you'd expect.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [shade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever one of my wheels sits long enough to lose all or most of its air, I like to I put a few lbs in first and then pinch all the way around to be sure the tube is not peeking out under the bead.

That sounds like a good practice.

Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes and spontaneous blowouts [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried Vittoria, Bontrager and Michelin. Out of those three if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Bontrager.
Quote Reply

Prev Next