Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course the integrity of triathlon suffers. The average sports fan will see the coverage the race generates and think that is it cool that Lance can still race triathlon, given that he is banned from cycling. They will not see the nuance regarding USAT sanctioning or not. There cannot be many sports that have loopholes whereby banned athletes can still compete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Let's face it Rev3 obviously feels that they have more to gain than lose."

What should upset everybody who gives a crap about getting drugs out of sports is that they might be right.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
In my countries of origin, I can say pretty much anything I want to. But thanks. A superiority complex? Hmmm...you start playing the 'foreign card' with me, yet
your English isn't very good.

I threw the cancer research in because I know what I'm talking about when it comes to cancer research. Since the usual argument of those who think Lance should
be allowed to do whatever he wants is: you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to cancer, I threw that in. I thought it would shorten the discussion, but
I guess I wrongly assumed that most could read. By the way, why did you throw in that you lost both parents to cancer (all my condolences, sincerely)? For the same
reason. To tell me that you know how it affects people. Given the current cancer rates, you can be sure that pretty much every single person on the forum has been
affected by cancer. So, maybe we can stop playing the emotional card here. We're ALL affected. My whole point is that:
1. There are many ways to raise funding against cancer (be it research, screening, prevention, awareness)
2. Lance is banned from racing
3. If he has 4hrs to spare, I'm sure he can spend it far more constructively to raise funding and awareness.

As far as my parents that was inserted to counter your cancer research comment. thanks for your condolences (but why the ?) sure there are several ways to raise funding and this is one of the ways he chose to. also, lance is not banned from ALL racing and yet you and others keeping insisting that is the case. and then when that is pointed out then its about the integrity of the sport. truth be told most people do not look at it as all or nothing, they just don't
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ? is outside the ( ) and was used to end the sentence starting with why. It was not ending my condolences.

As for Lance, he is banned from racing any WADA signatory race. So why backdoor into a USAT sanctioned event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But that is the point. Lance should be banned from all races. It is a loophole that allows him to race those that are not sanctioned by a governing body.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanaki wrote:
Now you are going way off track..

<Alan Shearer - Convicted thief>

Just because I went from A to D without mentioning steps B and C doesn't mean they aren't there. Trust me.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philb wrote:
But that is the point. Lance should be banned from all races. It is a loophole that allows him to race those that are not sanctioned by a governing body.

Right, but USADA cant do that, they dont have that kind of authority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Itds not a usat race, and giving back the USAT one day fees plus not charging yearly usat members insurance has got to cost REV 3 a lot. I don't know how many members entrants but figure $10 or so per entrant minus LAs entrance fee ;-) is the cost to REV 3 to allow him to race.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The ? is outside the ( ) and was used to end the sentence starting with why. It was not ending my condolences.

As for Lance, he is banned from racing any WADA signatory race. So why backdoor into a USAT sanctioned event?

wait, I thought this was not USAT sanctioned event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rev3 events are usat sanctioned. They just found a way to add lance and a side event...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Rev3 events are usat sanctioned. They just found a way to add lance and a side event...

This race is NOT USAT sanctioned. It wasn't Charlie's call but I was told Charlie was convinced it was "the right thing to do" by whoever approached him with it. Im assuming it was Mr. Satola the race director who is on UCF staff.
Last edited by: pick6: Sep 20, 12 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was a Douche to the people who treated him in the hospital in Indiana when he first got sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
Francois wrote:

This race is NOT Rev3 sanctioned. It wasn't Charlie's call but I was told Charlie was convinced it was "the right thing to do" by whoever approached him with it. Im assuming it was Mr. Satola the race director who is on UCF staff.

I don't understand. OK, so the decision to allow Lance to race and give up USAT sanctioning may not have been Rev3's, but they have unequivocally endorsed this decision. What do you mean by Rev3 hasn't sanctioned it? Seems to me they have. if they had any anti-doping principles they would have withdrawn their support for the race, but no, they are singing about it on their website. And it's sad to see most comments on their website supporting this move. At least some of the pros have spoken out against it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
Francois wrote:

This race is NOT Rev3 sanctioned. It wasn't Charlie's call but I was told Charlie was convinced it was "the right thing to do" by whoever approached him with it. Im assuming it was Mr. Satola the race director who is on UCF staff.

Just out of curiosity but how can you reconcile that comment with this:

http://rev3tri.com/...half-full-triathlon/

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your bedside manner like?

Maybe he wasn't feeling good and couldn't play nice, nice at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's probably not the only cancer survivor to take illegal drugs. Have a good race for a good cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
pick6 wrote:
Francois wrote:

Just out of curiosity but how can you reconcile that comment with this:

http://rev3tri.com/...half-full-triathlon/

Sorry that was supposed to say not USAT sanctioned, not Rev3. too much going on.

Because it says right on it that Brian Satola is the race director, the staffer from UCF. There's not one word on this that says Charlie agreed with this initially. I was told by a pro triathlete who is on their team and who has spoken with Charlie directly that UCF approached him and convinced him it was the right thing to do. The fact that Rev3 is now advertising what is indeed fact, that Lance is racing, doesn't surprise me at all. They're doing a lot of work to put on a race for UCF. A successful sold out event looks good.

It's funny that the present tense of sold out is sell out.
Last edited by: pick6: Sep 20, 12 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
pick6 wrote:
Francois wrote:

I don't understand. OK, so the decision to allow Lance to race and give up USAT sanctioning may not have been Rev3's, but they have unequivocally endorsed this decision. What do you mean by Rev3 hasn't sanctioned it? Seems to me they have. if they had any anti-doping principles they would have withdrawn their support for the race, but no, they are singing about it on their website. And it's sad to see most comments on their website supporting this move. At least some of the pros have spoken out against it.

Sorry too many messages while working at the same time. It should say its not USAT sanctioned
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking back at this situation, to me shines the light on exactly what the sport of triathlon is, and will probaly always be: participation, pat yourself on the back sport.

Here we have one of the leading professional run organizations (Rev3) balking at the national federation's and world doping standards in order to make more money for an foundation. Which, hey if that's what it's about, great. Just dont talk to me about how the sport continues to fail at getting professional credit, when we have moves like this. I think it simply really shows what it's really about. We really arent any closer in getting the "professional" side of the sport any closer to legitimacy with moves like this.

So good for Rev3 and the race organization for taking a step in the direction to really show how serious they are with raising awareness/money for this cause. I'm not saying what they did was wrong, I'm simply looking at this and objectively saying, they essentially balked at the clean racing standards that national federations have to race by in order to raise money for cancer. Which I'm in no way saying is right or wrong, just looking at how this is playing out, that to me is the take away message I get from this situation.

And again, please dont think I'm trying to be anti-cancer. I applaud that they have this race and the money they are raising for this foundation. I guess I'm just saddened at the steps that it took in order for it to occur.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the bitching was done by Brett Sutton coached athletes. I don't know how that convicted child rapist should be complaining - I'm not even sure why he is still allowed to be coaching or involved in the sport anyway.
Saw this the other day
http://news.yahoo.com/...-144907004--spt.html

The similarity of the offense is similar - the punishment not even close.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because he is coaching adults and being convicted of his crime is less offensive to richie rich and the other no name pros trying to make a name for themselves than Lance doing what every other pro cyclist did
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It is a loophole that allows him to race those that are not sanctioned by a governing body."

While the idea of LA continuing to compete outside of worldwide sporting bodies' jurisdiction is unpalatable to many of us can we please refrain from calling the situation a "loophole", as if it is something we should work to close by further regulation? That is a case where we should be very careful what we wish for. In our zeal to see athletic justice done in LA's case, we ought not invite USADA/WADA outside their current scope.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [kennyDalglish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a warped world I guess. Condone child rape to earn a buck, but get pissed off when a doper might steal a win from you. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NOBODY is "condoning" child rape. Please.
Hyperbole, much?

I got a DWI a zillion years ago, right after college.
(no accident, no injuries)
Does that mean I can't have a moral opinion on the actions of others, now?
Or, that anyone who associates with me, is also now not allowed to voice a similar opinion?

And NO, I'm not equating DWI w child rape either.
It's a shame I need to spell this part out, otherwise somebody would get their righteous indignation up.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
Most of the bitching was done by Brett Sutton coached athletes. I don't know how that convicted child rapist should be complaining - I'm not even sure why he is still allowed to be coaching or involved in the sport anyway.
Saw this the other day
http://news.yahoo.com/...-144907004--spt.html

The similarity of the offense is similar - the punishment not even close.

Couple things:

1. Carfrae & Cunningham, neither of whom have ever been coached by Sutton as far as I can tell have been two of the most vocal on this issue. Cunningham has spoken out about Lance long before today, and IMO has been the most vocal about this. So, I think your statement is invalid.

2. Sutton isnt complaining, athletes coached by him are. As disgusting as his actions are (and I agree, he shouldnt be in coaching) unless you think his interaction with a teenage girl back in the day would cause his athletes to test positive, then his prior actions do not reflect on his athlete's abilities to make a judgement call on the sanctity of sport. I wouldnt want their coach doing the same. If you're going to slam people for Sutton being their coach because of his ethics, you need to start slamming the long list of folks both professionally and here at ST who use Carmichael's coaching service, because he actually did break the rules of his sport. (Not that I havent slammed them for it, Im just saying there's a line there, and either youre over it or youre not).
Quote Reply

Prev Next