Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Don't forget to boycott Mathew Mconaughey movies too
http://www.looktothestars.org/...ng-on-livestrong-day
Quote:

Matthew McConaughey has put his name to an email sent to supporters of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, calling his friend and fellow Texan “one tough hombre.”

I do that because he's a lousy actor, not because he's Lance's friend. That's just a bonus.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but Coyle wrote LAs War, which cast LA in a pretty flattering light, also. I've only read excerpts of the Hamilton book, don't want to give him any money, so I'll read it all when i can borrow it.

Its possible that both book are in sync, LAs War didn't equivocally say LA didn't do drugs, but it certainly gave the view of LA as a flawed but decent guy.

Frankly I dont see LAs story vs TH story as separate sides of a coin. Both really bad guys on the doping front, IMO. The other side would be all the junior champions that basically disappeared when they got to Senior age . Matt Kelly has been mentioned but many other, male and female tore up the racing scene in the 80/80s then basically dissappeared.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Trifecta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, well we already know that he was to some people, so don't need to read it,thanks for the summary. And one could argue some people deserve to be treated a certain way. He didn't have to be a kiss ass to everyone he knew.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Yeah but Coyle wrote LAs War, which cast LA in a pretty flattering light, also. I've only read excerpts of the Hamilton book, don't want to give him any money, so I'll read it all when i can borrow it.

Its possible that both book are in sync, LAs War didn't equivocally say LA didn't do drugs, but it certainly gave the view of LA as a flawed but decent guy.

Frankly I dont see LAs story vs TH story as separate sides of a coin. Both really bad guys on the doping front, IMO. The other side would be all the junior champions that basically disappeared when they got to Senior age . Matt Kelly has been mentioned but many other, male and female tore up the racing scene in the 80/80s then basically dissappeared.

Coyle spoke to the fact that he didnt have enough info to so more both doping or personality wise he could verify when writing the first book.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am completely not understanding the (in MY mind) desire to back out of a race and eat $1K of travel money JUST because Lance is showing up.

I can understand not liking dopers, drafters, course cutters, but....would you bail on a race because you have to toe the line with somebody that got tagged for drafting at his/her last 5 events? (or, say, served a 2 year doping offence)

Probably not. So, why the vitriol at Lance?

Why should the USAT / USADA give a rats-ass if Lance shows up to do an event as long as it's understood he's ineligible for awards (pro or otherwise). Is it just about insurance?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [jvanistri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theoretically yeah, but no race is actually going to deal with 2 insurance providers, and I wouldn't be surprised if 2 providers would balk at covering the same race.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I do that because he's a lousy actor" (pick6)

Now, you've gone too far!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [CharlesYTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CharlesYTri wrote:
I am completely not understanding the (in MY mind) desire to back out of a race and eat $1K of travel money JUST because Lance is showing up.

I can understand not liking dopers, drafters, course cutters, but....would you bail on a race because you have to toe the line with somebody that got tagged for drafting at his/her last 5 events? (or, say, served a 2 year doping offence)

Probably not. So, why the vitriol at Lance?

Why should the USAT / USADA give a rats-ass if Lance shows up to do an event as long as it's understood he's ineligible for awards (pro or otherwise). Is it just about insurance?

Because rules are rules and if theyre just going to be ignored, why have them? hes not illeligible for awards, hes almost guaranteed to win the cancer survivor division.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Coyle spoke to the fact that he didnt have enough info to so more both doping or personality wise he could verify when writing the first book. " (pick6)

Give it a rest. You're not making sense now.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Trifecta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trifecta wrote:
I just finished the book and came away with the impression that it was not so much about LA's drug use, but that LA is a complete and total dick and that if he might not be in his predicament if he had been less of a dick to many of his former friends and teammates.

I think that's a very valuable all of us should remember as we go through life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he cheated, I agree with him being banned for sanctioned races, and I'd prefer he not race in races even were allowed.

That said what rule is being ignored and by whom?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not Tyler Hamilton (I'm a guy from Toronto). If you've followed the Armstrong story as long and as closely as I have (it was part of my work for quite a while) you come to realize that it seems to be Lance against everyone. So is everyone lying or is it just Lance? I've even cycled with people who were some of Livestrong's top fundraisers until they had personal contact with Lance. After that, they decided to fundraise for another cyclist-led charity (not Tyler's) because they didn't like Lance as a person. But you go on thinking that Lance is a good clean guy if it makes you feel better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Pick6, interesting your obsession with Lance bashing. Did a ST search and your last 10 pages of posts are all related to Lance, Im sure it went on but I stopped clicking next. Might want to contribute something else to the ST forum, would add to your credibility here. Maybe talk about wheels or swimming?

EDIT: I admit to Lance posting on here too, but dude, literally every single post from you is Lance, doping or Hamiltons book.

Maybe that's what interests him the most. Maybe that's what he cares about the most.

I'm not sure how posting about wheels or swimming would add to his credibility when he posts aboiut Lance/doping/hamilton/etc. (Not saying that he's an expert on Lance or that he doesn't know anything about wheels or swimming, but I don't see how posting on topics that you might not know anything about would lend any credibility to posts on topics that you might be an expert on.)

I'm not even sure why you would care enough to research what else he might have posted about. And I'm not even sure why I care that you care.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
"Coyle spoke to the fact that he didnt have enough info to so more both doping or personality wise he could verify when writing the first book. " (pick6)

Give it a rest. You're not making sense now.

Sorry phone issues. Coyle stated during his press appearances for the hamilton book that he couldnt provide more during the 1st book because he couldnt get more corroborated. He'd heard more things about lances doping, including a few of the things that were corroborated for tylers book, but there wasnt evidence at the time (due to Omerta) to back it enough to put it in print.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I think he cheated, I agree with him being banned for sanctioned races, and I'd prefer he not race in races even were allowed.

That said what rule is being ignored and by whom?

He asked why USAT/USADA would have a problem with Lance doing a sanctioned race if he wasnt going to win any awards, interfere with the pro race or make any money. I explained why they might care.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"(it was part of my work for quite a while)" (Toronto)

How was Lance's story a part of your work?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by anitan1 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the part about a USAT race.

As far as Coyle's LA book, he wrote it and a lot was about drugs. If you can't or don't have time to get confirmation then leave that part out or its poor journalism.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Toronto wrote:
Up until last weekend, I was happy to see the USADA ban Armstrong for life but at the same time disappointed that he wouldn't be competing in triathlon anymore. However, since reading The Secret Race, I'm quite happy that he isn't able to compete in any sanctioned sporting event ever again. I could care less about the doping; he just seems like a bad guy.

Since you just joined, are you Tyler Hamilton? Regardless of him doping , that book is a piece of crap. I can't believe anyone would read that trash.

Have you read it? If not, then how do you know it's crap?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
pick6 wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
pick6 wrote:
ZackC. wrote:
Lance Armstrong to Race at Rev3 Half Full, MACTC Championship

I confirmed with the race director a few minutes ago. Ulman Cancer Fun was founded by Doug Ulman now Livestrong CEO. The race will not be USAT sanctioned, but have private insurer. I'm fairly confident after a quick call to USAT that the collegiate championship will be invalidated because the race isnt sanctioned.

Im racing still, because Ive already committed a year to fundraising, and paid for travel and lodging. Were that not the case I wouldnt be.

Hahahahahahah, pick6 lined up at the start shoulder to shoulder with Lance. Get us some pics!!!!

He's racing in the cancer survivor wave, which at least has one other fast person in it, the Wassner twin who is a survivor (who Im guessing didnt develop her cancer due to doping.)

It was hard not to call and cancel everything, as I spent the morning thinking about it. It was hinted at weeks ago, and I almost got enough info ahead of time to cancel before committing to hotel. Yes, I do think financially it will benefit UCF in the short term, and from the financials I see no way Lance gets anything out of this unless UCF is paying him an appearance fee (which Ive asked and havent heard back about). Their pro field wasnt full, but since he's not racing that wave im not sure it will make a difference. A couple of pros who have committed have been outspoken about Lance, so this whole thing will be interesting to say the least.

Ok, way to stick with factual info. As outspoken as you are about this subject if you had any credibility at all you'd be skipping this race and standing up for your convictions.

Exactly what I thought when I read his post. Thanks for beating me to the punch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Francois wrote:
I read this trash. Very enlightening, even if you already know pro cycling well. You should give it a try instead of bashing it without reading.

I would if I could 100% trust the source and know they were not biased. Maybe trash is a strong word, maybe there are some half truths in there as well, but there is a huge bias from this author.

Is that your standard for determining what to read? If so, you must never read anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easy to talk a lot about something but the real proof is when you back that up with actions. I'm interested to see if Richie is still racing after all he's said today. If he races he's still supporting an event and sponsor that apparently diverges with what he believes in. Money talks though.