Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kickr Climb [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget it's also going to simultaneously add resistance to the trainer. Your bike angles upwards and your pedaling becomes harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [jsfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I'm having a hard time with in the picture is, if the rotational axis is the rear axle, then the picture's angled straight line on the climb device is going to force the fork further and further away from the trainer as it slides up... This would be bad for the bike, or move the trainer. Maybe not all of the details are apparent in the picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpquick wrote:
What I'm having a hard time with in the picture is, if the rotational axis is the rear axle, then the picture's angled straight line on the climb device is going to force the fork further and further away from the trainer as it slides up... This would be bad for the bike, or move the trainer. Maybe not all of the details are apparent in the picture.

Looks like the entire sumbitch rocks to account for that rotational axis and the different fork rakes, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All major brands are trying to accurately simulating ascents/descents. Wahoo also going for the feel here
Looks like they going for a cheaper version of the Tacx magnum trainer, also safer than the big treadmill
Also do not see any benefit for this little elevator but we have yet to see reviews and test.
Nice find this will cause some noise in the industry
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Biggrub_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I understand it, the big downside to the Magnum is that it *needs* incline to produce any sort of meaningful resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hope somebody can crack it...so it works with a neo, which already had road feel.

Hope zwift or other trainer software would just see it an another device and run it separately from a kickr somehow.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Aug 26, 17 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the InsideRide treadmill had a tether to simulate air resistance. Most riders opted not to use it. Why not just increase the angle of inclination slightly to compensate for the lack of air resistance? I think it was because they wanted it to actually be inclined at 5% when simulating a 5% grade and not, say, 6.5% while reporting it as 5%.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I've thought about the physics, and I don't know what searches I'm supposed to do.

What's wrong with simulating climbing by raising the front wheel (while simultaneously adjusting pedaling torque)?

Keep in mind that this is just a simulation. Every simulator has a degree of fidelity. A trainer is already very different in a lot of ways from actually riding on a road.

But I only see changing the pitch angle of the bike during "climbs" as slightly increasing the fidelity of the overall simulation.

BIOMECHANICS AND ENERGETICS OF UPHILL CYCLING: A REVIEW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This paper supports the idea that uphill positioning is different and this device could therefore help simulate that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I hope Wahoo are reading this thread and plan on supporting people like me, who have supported them by purchasing 12 of these just before August and they neglected to mention they were planning updates which we wouldn't have the choice to use.

Merchant Bankers comes to mind......

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
This paper supports the idea that uphill positioning is different and this device could therefore help simulate that

Which study supports that conclusion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one you just linked
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
The one you just linked

It's not a study but a review of ~40 studies. Which one(s) supports your conclusion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So they are going to release a new Kickr Model, when the current version was released 11 months ago? Not making a backwards compatible accessory is a pretty lame thing to do.....although I doubt I would buy this climbing thing anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My impression is that it will be compatible with Kickr 2 but not Kickr 1. I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
iamuwere wrote:
The one you just linked

It's not a study but a review of ~40 studies. Which one(s) supports your conclusion?

Stop being obtuse. Just state plainly state your issue with the Cimb. Have some basic respect for those you're trying to argue with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! thanks for posting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was looking to order a trainer this weekend. Guess I'd better hold out through the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found another pic I forgot to post. Good view of the rounded bottom that would allow rotation. And it appears to be matched up with a Kickr2.

--------------------------

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Last edited by: jsfarmer: Aug 27, 17 21:06
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:
Wow, that's awesome. I honestly thought about doing something like this myself and looked at using a small motorcycle lift for the front wheel paired with a pc-controller motor to actuate it. But a combination of thinking it wouldn't respond quick enough, zwift not having an public api, and laziness, kept me from doing much other than dreaming.

As a kickr gen 1 owner, I don't know why this couldn't work with us, could simulate another trainer and receive ant+ commands from the computer or even use WiFi and talk to the zwift servers directly.

I got as far as buying an actuator, and decoding the ant packets, but never got further.
When zwift talks to the kickr, it sends over ant data packets containing current slope gradient to simulate (as an aside for negative slopes zwift currently sends half the true value, i.e. if zwift says it's 10% down hill, it sends 5% down to the kickr - as it can't simulate down hill very well).
Presumably it's relaying this information to the Climb unit. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a spare channel to do this on the orginal kickr, so there might be a firmware upgrade in the future.
And like you say there shouldn't be anything stopping a software simulating another trainer to then relay the data. Just needs an extra ant dongle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've done any serious climbing on the bike, you've realized that what is hard is not having the front wheel higher. What's hard is having to use your back muscles etc. to stabilize your bike and fight gravity. You really don't have to do this with the new device.
You can try riding for 1h at 280w with your front wheel level, and then 1h with your wheel on top of a thick book and will not see any difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More will come out Wednesday when the media embargo lifts, but to answer why this isn't retrofittable, consider the basic physics of your existing Wahoo Kickr; the front lifts, but the back is locked into the trainer. Considering there is no pivot point, imagine what that will do to your frame's dropouts: just tear them up. The two new trainers have dropout plug-ins that can rotate, meaning the frame can move freely without damage to your frame.

I've just been on it, tied to Zwift, and it's pretty rad. More soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Climb [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The fighting gravity simulation is done by the resistance unit. Never noticed issues stabilizing the bike.

Doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm sure there's something valid there. Though that's true with non-roller trainers generally.

The Climb does seem like it'd help simulate the change in use of contact points. I think if you did an hour at 280W with three thick books and told me no difference you'd be lying. At a minimum it'd be way less comfortable I'd think. I think you'd have to work to stabilize your body. One book much less so. O
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the thing is that I've tried several times already and lifting your front wheel just does not simulate what you experience in the mountains.
I can raise my front wheel by 20cm and even after an hour at somewhat high wattage, you don't experience what you experience on steep mountains, or even long steady climbs at 7-8% for that matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The older kickrs don't allow for the bike to independantly move up or down. The new one does .
Quote Reply

Prev Next