Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled?
Quote | Reply
I had a member of my facility just push their trip to Kauai up a month as they were booking trips while on the island and they were getting word that they were expecting to lockdown again soon.

We are 2 months out of Kona, cases are rising and Kona is on an island that really cannot afford to have another outbreak.

Where are we at with Ironman putting on this race this year?

[Moderator edited misleading thread title.}
Last edited by: Slowman: Aug 5, 21 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Kona cancelled [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice click bait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona cancelled?? That title is misleading at best . . . I'd say dishonest the way it is worded.

EDIT - Thank you for changing the subject.

Now, since it is not cancelled, I can tell you (with some inside scoop - see disclaimer) that they will do everything possible to make the race happen. The odds are extremely high the race will go.

PS - I still think I was wise deferring to 2022.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Aug 5, 21 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
I had a member of my facility just push their trip to Kauai up a month as they were booking trips while on the island and they were getting word that they were expecting to lockdown again soon.
. . . cases are rising and Kona is on an island that really cannot afford to have another outbreak./quote]
Of what facility are you a member? (Sorry - English is my first language.)
If cases are rising, should the member not cancel their trips rather than bringing them forward (I assume that's what you mean by 'up')?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please change the title of this thread to something like "Will Kona be cancelled due to rising COVID cases?"

Anything else is just stirring a pot that doesn't need to be stirred.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if it was the right thing to do with cases increasing, I can't see an appetite amongst the general public to lockdown again. I feel like the most that will happen is you might have to present a vaccine card to participate.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
Even if it was the right thing to do with cases increasing, I can't see an appetite amongst the general public to lockdown again. I feel like the most that will happen is you might have to present a vaccine card to participate.

If Ironman goes to a vaccine card to participate, they would never get a dime from me or a million others again.

50 and getting back to racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More importantā€¦maybe ask GMan if this race should be held or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [soretaint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

If Ironman goes to a vaccine card to participate, they would never get a dime from me or a million others again.

Really? Afraid of needles?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [soretaint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

Lol, yeah you would. It might take a little while to gain their consumers back, but they hold a virtual monopoly on IM/HIM and the last thing Ironman wants is some study linking hundreds of COVID cases directly back to their event, that likely would cost them more in the long run then a few temper tantrums regarding a vaccine card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:

What a courageous stance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

A million? At least you are very realistic and don't exgarate at all. Or is this a talking point number from Fox ir OAN?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

assuming you think it's ok to run redlights, stopsigns and drive drunk. Damn be everyone else!

seems Lake Placid had no problem attracting people with this requirement
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

Lol, yeah you would. It might take a little while to gain their consumers back, but they hold a virtual monopoly on IM/HIM and the last thing Ironman wants is some study linking hundreds of COVID cases directly back to their event, that likely would cost them more in the long run then a few temper tantrums regarding a vaccine card.

IM clients tend to be more educated than the average... in my part of the world, there is a strong correlation between education, income and vaccination.

Thus willing to bet that they will gain more client that hey will loose by requiring vaccination (have you see what an aid station look like)... actually a no brainer.
Last edited by: benleg: Aug 5, 21 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Oh Boo! So they sell out in 6 hours instead of 4?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

A million? At least you are very realistic and don't exgarate at all. Or is this a talking point number from Fox ir OAN?

LOL, that was my reaction..... Talk about hyperbole.

in reality as with a LOT of things, once people realize they need to be vaxxed to do fun stuff, they will be
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NickMa [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

You sound like one of those people that said they would leave the USA if trump got elected and then didnā€™t.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

Darwinism 101? Why take a vaccine that has a very very very remote chance of having any adverse side effects and can protect yourself and others when you can avoid it and increase you chance of catching a virus that has a very very very high chance of severely effing you and your loved ones up...

Brilliant...
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickMa wrote:
Well, it can be true considering that 1) foreign vaccines aren't recognized by US

That's interesting - "foreign vaccines aren't recognized by US" is an oversimplification, but indeed, I didn't realize the AstraZeneca shot wasn't FDA-approved (I checked and you're right, it's not). The other three "big ones" (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) do have emergency authorization, but they're "American" vaccines in terms of the companies being American (notwithstanding the fact that the Moderna shot I received was produced in Belgium).

Astra is common enough in Europe to cause problems if vaccination with an FDA-approved vaccine is required. The company recently said it would apply for regular approval (not emergency) by the FDA, which I assume will take a while.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Aug 6, 21 1:04
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickMa wrote:
Well, it can be true considering that 1) foreign vaccines aren't recognized by US , and 2) vaccinated will be going back to 'unvaccinated' pretty soon (masks mandates among vaccinated/ CDC 'boosters' talks, evidence that cases & hospitalizations are up even among vaccinated).

Negative covid test seems sufficient.

(I'm vaccinated)

I think there are individual country specific issues, for example J&J not being approved in Canada. Hopefully there will eventually be reciprocal recognition etc.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

18 posts since 2008 and you bring this one out. Strong workā€¦.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

Nice!! Passports are becoming an increasingly efficient and simple method for organizations to weed out the crazies from their ranks.
Donā€™t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

you're possibly going to save a lot of money also on flights, gyms, pools, restaurants, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
soretaint wrote:
jhammond wrote:

You sound like one of those people that said they would leave the USA if trump got elected and then didnā€™t.

We can probably figure out who he voted for by his post. So not sure using Trump as an example was appropriate. šŸ˜

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next