Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hawaii's Covid-19 case rate hits all-time high
From CNN’s Andy Rose
Hawaii reached a new single-day record for Covid-19 cases Friday, the state announced.

“The fact is, 1,167 more people are now battling Covid-19, and the overwhelming majority of them are unvaccinated,” Gov. David Ige said in a news conference.

Although Ige acknowledged that part of Friday’s large number was due to lags in reporting, he says the overall trend is still at a level they have not previously seen, with "an average of 729 new Covid infections each day over the last three days.”

“I didn't expect it to spike to this degree, this fast,” said state health director Dr. Libby Char.

The Department of Health is now ramping up contact tracing, although Char said their efforts to avoid spread are not always met with a favorable response.

“My guys get yelled at on the phone,” Char said. “Please don't yell and scream at us when we call you, and please share the information that we request.”

Hawaii avoided a Covid-19 surge at the outset of the pandemic by cutting off virtually all outside travel to and between the islands. However, Ige said he does not plan to reinstitute a travel ban right away since tourists currently account for a very small percent of cases.

“The overwhelming majority of the cases tied to travel is with residents traveling and getting infected and returning to the islands,” said Ige.
Still, the state's health director encouraged Hawaiians to think twice about traveling right now – or, for that matter, doing anything unnecessary that could potentially spread infection.

“If you can go back to thinking of what we did before we had vaccines... that would work really well right now, you know?” said Char.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems to be the latest news on Kona situation, Ironman seems to offer athletes who qualified in the later part of the year, to defer to 2023 and above:

"We are also aware that entry into the United States is out of the question for some, and that is why we have developed a procedure for qualifying and postponing the Ironman World Championship, which takes into account the geographical conditions of our athletes, the security of the event and our obligation to allocate qualifying places for future Ironman events." The athletes will thus have a deadline of the 24th. September to postpone the starting place from 2021 optionally to one of the years 2023, 2024 and 2025."

Article with this quote is here - https://tri-mag.de/...b1gcuecNJ_FEyq0qqDDQ although in German, but easily can be translated through the web browser.

Seems like a good turn of the events to all of us who took the risk in the past 2-3 months and it gives a lot of time to arrange travels and money. Hope this helps to the rest of us as well!

http://www.triflections.com
https://www.instagram.com/triflections/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Kurinkuji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really starting to feel like bumping Kona out to early 2022 is a possibility based on that article. Pure speculation from me though and I've been guessing wrong on how IM was gonna handle this for a year straight. But training through the holidays..? fun fun.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Kurinkuji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has the option to defer to 2023 been confirmed? At the moment, anyone who qualified after April 10 this year has no deferral options
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is really not looking good. just google "covid global statistics" and change filter to united states > hawaii
the picture looks totally different than the rest of the world, there was hardly a blip on the graph until now.
Last edited by: dgutstadt: Aug 16, 21 2:29
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
Has the option to defer to 2023 been confirmed? At the moment, anyone who qualified after April 10 this year has no deferral options

I’m deferring Maryland and it listed all the IM events you can defer and Knoa has but dates.
Kind of stings for me. I let a slot roll when I qualified at Louisville in 2019 because I had a wedding in 2020 I already knew about.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

I’m deferring Maryland and it listed all the IM events you can defer and Knoa has but dates.
Kind of stings for me. I let a slot roll when I qualified at Louisville in 2019 because I had a wedding in 2020 I already knew about.

Haha, this is where you went wrong. If it is your wedding it should never be on the date of Kona. If it is the wedding of your kid you straighten them out to have it when its not Kona. Anyone else, they probably have a 50/50 chance of breaking up anyway before or after so you skip wedding and take your KQ. Weddings come and go, you get to keep the Kona experience for a lifetime (of course you could get divorced yourself on the path to Kona but that's another topic).

OK , lets go back to the topic at hand
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Haha, this is where you went wrong. If it is your wedding it should never be on the date of Kona. If it is the wedding of your kid you straighten them out to have it when its not Kona. Anyone else, they probably have a 50/50 chance of breaking up anyway before or after so you skip wedding and take your KQ. Weddings come and go, you get to keep the Kona experience for a lifetime (of course you could get divorced yourself on the path to Kona but that's another topic).

This may be as much about how I feel about weddings as it does about how I feel about Kona, but I would reschedule my wedding in a second to accept a Kona bid.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking a bit more grim for IM Worlds.

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/...d-coronavirus-spike/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Runout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runout wrote:
Looking a bit more grim for IM Worlds.

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/...d-coronavirus-spike/

Yeah, IM employees are passing this article between themselves as well. Obviously their guesses are only slightly better than ours but it doesn't sound like anyone is bursting with optimism.

At this point, just move it to Feb, hope it holds up, and let the usual whiners and complainers get all the whining and complaining out of the way sooner rather than later.

I'd just rather it not drag out and look for another race if I can ASAP (and get back whatever $$ I can from the cancelled trip).

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Aug 18, 21 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t even want another race, I would just like the uncertainty to go away. I qualified about as early as you could have in 2019, and at this point I just want to get the damn thing over with so I can move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, exactly the same feeling here. Training this week has been psychologically tough not knowing if there`s a race at the end of all this or how I`m going to get there. Unfortunately, I don`t trust Ironman to do what`s best for athletes - maybe the county will force their hand. At least if that happens soon there might be some travel and accomodation refunds to be clawed back.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bailed yesterday, doing Florida instead assuming it goes ahead !

I didn’t want to waste 5 K on accommodation , as I qualified before April 10 I think I can defer but even if not , I am OK with it

Field will be weak anyhow
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

This may be as much about how I feel about weddings as it does about how I feel about Kona, but I would reschedule my wedding in a second to accept a Kona bid.

No need to reschedule, you just move the wedding venue to Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
Yep, exactly the same feeling here. Training this week has been psychologically tough not knowing if there`s a race at the end of all this or how I`m going to get there. Unfortunately, I don`t trust Ironman to do what`s best for athletes - maybe the county will force their hand. At least if that happens soon there might be some travel and accommodation refunds to be clawed back.

Yup 2 years of prep to be taken down 6 weeks out would suck.

I just don't get the need to cancel the ironman race at this point yet still allow me to travel and do my normal vacation there, on the same date, road, beach.

They are worried about spectators adding to the numbers??? Only racers will be traveling right now ( likley half as many as normal) and even the expo will likely be nothing big.

https://www.triathlete.com/culture/news/triathlon-news-notes-im-alaska-moves-ahead-worlds-oldest-ironman-still-learning-and-more/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=triathlete%20magazine&utm_campaign=61baa582-512b-4eed-8e9e-1ec17df93866&fbclid=IwAR2RdorpnkJa36TzIFYJ0VNbddOzlWwGXbTaMlRovnW0y77j-MWilA3835E

this article from lake placid highlights no increase in Covid cases after Lake placid.

I know not everyone can get there from around the world, but thet have options for that.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as you. What was going to be a 2 year IM cycle is looking to be stretched out to 3.5 to 4 years, which is way more than I was planning on. Hopefully they make a go vs no go decision shortly.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This image posted on a fb group from someone watching local news.
Last edited by: CP78: Aug 18, 21 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who has be registered for this race for 2 yrs, I have a lot of skin in the game. But I also want to honor and respect the community, and if they don’t think it is safe to have a race in October then I can continue to wait. I hope IM makes a decision very, very soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
This image posted on a fb group from someone watching local news.

If the county is asking for that it means it's going to be rescheduled. If Ironman says no, the county just won't permit it.

Pretty sure an October Kona is now not happening.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just called Ironman (the Kona local office) and they said they plan on moving forward with the October 9 race....when asked about the news of the city/state requesting them to reschedule, I was told that they have not been made aware of any such request.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
I just called Ironman (the Kona local office) and they said they plan on moving forward with the October 9 race....when asked about the news of the city/state requesting them to reschedule, I was told that they have not been made aware of any such request.

Pretty sure you're not going to get anything but the party line from IM folks at this point, and I'd bet there is an internal email instructing folks not to make any statements otherwise
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:

Pretty sure you're not going to get anything but the party line from IM folks at this point, and I'd bet there is an internal email instructing folks not to make any statements otherwise

Agree 100%, but wanted to at least share.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a further piece in todays West Hawaii today calling for Ironman to e cancelled -

the readers responses are interesting with many saying they won't be volunteering if the race does go ahead

Clamping down: County could return to beach closures amid coronavirus spike | West Hawaii Today
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be more worried by the fact that this is a small and remote island with limited medical resources. Not the same as a mainland race. They need medical directors and medical staff for the full ICUs not a the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an increased chance Kona may be canceled? [alfonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they did cancel the race are those that have paid lodging able to be refunded? How does Vrbo Airbnb etc handle this?
Quote Reply

Prev Next