Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve been thinking about this thread more than I should. I check into updates daily.
Iā€™ve came to realize years ago that many of us in this sport have contentment issues. You could call it a mental health issue.

I, for one, have contentment issues. I needed to do something impossible and climb ā€˜myā€™ Everest. After I climbed it, I wasnā€™t content. As Bono said ā€˜I still havenā€™t found what Iā€™m looking forā€™.
So I tried again and said ā€˜if I finish in under 12 hours, then I will have found what Iā€™ve longed for and Iā€™ll feel content. I finished sub 12 but it didnā€™t help.

My guess is that itā€™s a common challenge for many of us. James, in my opinion, has contentment issues. He seems lost and ā€˜needsā€™ this to be all he can be. But heā€™s chasing something that he canā€™t attain through sport.

Before we only look to him and see his faults, my guess is that we all have elements of contentment issues in ourselves, with many of us locked into our own discontentment with the need to do more. Only a guess.

But his addiction to this endeavor seems similar to my addiction to trying to do the next impossible thing as I was chasing my demons through the IM brand.
Last edited by: CanUsa: Mar 15, 21 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CanUsa wrote:
Iā€™ve been thinking about this thread more than I should. I check into updates daily.
Iā€™ve came to realize years ago that many of us in this sport have contentment issues. You could call it a mental health issue.

I, for one, have contentment issues. I needed to do something impossible and climb ā€˜myā€™ Everest. After I climbed it, I wasnā€™t content. As Bono said ā€˜I still havenā€™t found what Iā€™m looking forā€™.
So I tried again and said ā€˜if I finish in under 12 hours, then I will have found what Iā€™ve longed for and Iā€™ll feel content. I finished sub 12 but it didnā€™t help.

My guess is that itā€™s a common challenge for many of us. James, in my opinion, has contentment issues. He seems lost and ā€˜needsā€™ this to be all he can be. But heā€™s chasing something that he canā€™t attain through sport.

Before we only look to him and see his faults, my guess is that we all have elements of contentment issues in ourselves, with many of us locked into our own discontentment with the need to do more. Only a guess.

But his addiction to this endeavor seems similar to my addiction to trying to do the next impossible thing as I was chasing my demons through the IM brand.
Great post..

Over the almost 30 years that I have been part of the Ultra-tri community I have run out of fingers and toes to count the number of athletes I know who "Medicate" themselves out of the many and varied mental health issues that they suffer from.I am at the top of the list and my personal experiences have enabled me to spot the signs in others. Some of the folks I know have suffered through and survived terrible experiences and the pain of training and racing these extreme events is easier to deal with than the pain of what they suffered in the past.That masks the demons of their past and it drives them. Just ask Goggins

Others find some sort of "identity" in what they are doing and that identity ends up taking over their entire life and they don't feel that they have a purpose outside of their new and often lauded persona. Enter people like IronCowboy.

Fascinating stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its starting to look rough. In the latest IG video the IC posted right now he is being held up by one of his wingmen to help him walk. Literally being held up by the arms and helped along his marathon walk. Its fine if you want to walk, but if you need someone to help hold you up while you walk i think thats a bit much. I draw the line of having something count as a marathon the moment you dont complete it under your own power.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the posts in this topic make it abundantly clear there are a number of people with mental health issues. They seem overly concerned that what IJ is doing somehow reduces the validity of what they have done, and have taken it as a personal hit to their self esteem..

How anyone can think what he is doing is 'easy' as many have alluded to is mind boggling. I guess his body breaking down is just for the Netflix dramatic effect...
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I think the posts in this topic make it abundantly clear there are a number of people with mental health issues. They seem overly concerned that what IJ is doing somehow reduces the validity of what they have done, and have taken it as a personal hit to their self esteem..

How anyone can think what he is doing is 'easy' as many have alluded to is mind boggling. I guess his body breaking down is just for the Netflix dramatic effect...
When you have the huge background in Ironman events and multi-day challenges you should not be breaking down the way he has early into the first week, especially when you have trained for this very high profile challenge for over a year. There is something off about the whole thing because he should be making a much easier deal of it than he is especially as he is walking the marathons and getting assisted during the swim and bike.

Something isn't right.Now whether he became so full of bravado over the success of his 50x50x50 and actually neglected to put the real effort required to train for this huge undertaking or is actually just plain unlucky and got injured early we don't really know.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I think the posts in this topic make it abundantly clear there are a number of people with mental health issues. They seem overly concerned that what IJ is doing somehow reduces the validity of what they have done, and have taken it as a personal hit to their self esteem.

so, all those people who trained many years of their life to make an Olympic team or win an Olympic medal only to be beaten by somebody on PEDs should just suck it up and stop whining?

the guy is perpetuating a lie of massive proportion.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Vegaskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vegaskid wrote:
dunno wrote:
I think the posts in this topic make it abundantly clear there are a number of people with mental health issues. They seem overly concerned that what IJ is doing somehow reduces the validity of what they have done, and have taken it as a personal hit to their self esteem.

so, all those people who trained many years of their life to make an Olympic team or win an Olympic medal only to be beaten by somebody on PEDs should just suck it up and stop whining?

And around and around in circles we go...

So..

1) What is he lying about?
2) How is he cheating?
3) What event is he competing in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Vegaskid wrote:
dunno wrote:

So..

2) How is he cheating?

1. Initially he branded this as 100 ironmans in 100 days. After he got all the attention, he changed the name and came up with some more detailed rules.
2. A guy is helping him walk the marathon, or is that in the fine print between IVs and drafting.
3.never said he was competing in an event.

also, why doesn't he just get a big box truck to draft off? gotta be easier and it's ok per the rules
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
dunno wrote:

When you have the huge background in Ironman events and multi-day challenges you should not be breaking down the way he has early into the first week, especially when you have trained for this very high profile challenge for over a year. There is something off about the whole thing because he should be making a much easier deal of it than he is especially as he is walking the marathons and getting assisted during the swim and bike.

Something isn't right.Now whether he became so full of bravado over the success of his 50x50x50 and actually neglected to put the real effort required to train for this huge undertaking or is actually just plain unlucky and got injured early we don't really know.

Mid-Marathon chiropractic adjustment...back to wearing shoes today. But not Hokas...hmmm

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
Its starting to look rough. In the latest IG video the IC posted right now he is being held up by one of his wingmen to help him walk. Literally being held up by the arms and helped along his marathon walk. Its fine if you want to walk, but if you need someone to help hold you up while you walk i think thats a bit much. I draw the line of having something count as a marathon the moment you dont complete it under your own power.

Heā€™s retaining fluid like a mofo (per IG) and his body is breaking down.
He can barely walk. Again.

This is hard to watch. Itā€™s not like heā€™s on 75 of 100 with 25 to go. Heā€™s only a couple weeks into this thing. Heā€™s getting absolutely pummeled and you just wish someone would call the fight.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomdefietsbom wrote:
Makes a massive difference, so after 10 of them saying "this is what a deca looks like" is fully retarded and an insult to the people actually doing a deca.
Seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
chuy wrote:

This is hard to watch. Itā€™s not like heā€™s on 75 of 100 with 25 to go. Heā€™s only a couple weeks into this thing. Heā€™s getting absolutely pummeled and you just wish someone would call the fight.

Week 1: average 15:26 (comprising 14:xx two days, 15:xx three days, 16:xx two days)

Week 2: average 16:01 (comprising 15:xx three days, 16:xx four days)

Even ignoring James' original goal of 14 hour/day, the numbers aren't looking pretty. Even more so considering the condition he's in. James should have the experience to know how to look after his feet. When it comes to foot maintenance, 26 miles/day isn't that much.

If you require being physically supported during the run, that's when you're no longer progressing under your own power. That's been outside the spirit of athletic achievement since 1908 when Dorando Pietri was DQed in the marathon at the London Olympics.

He's having too many problems, way too early. This has DNF written all over it.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:
chuy wrote:

Week 1: average 15:26 (comprising 14:xx two days, 15:xx three days, 16:xx two days)

Week 2: average 16:01 (comprising 15:xx three days, 16:xx four days)

Even ignoring James' original goal of 14 hour/day, the numbers aren't looking pretty. Even more so considering the condition he's in. James should have the experience to know how to look after his feet. When it comes to foot maintenance, 26 miles/day isn't that much.

If you require being physically supported during the run, that's when you're no longer progressing under your own power. That's been outside the spirit of athletic achievement since 1908 when Dorando Pietri was DQed in the marathon at the London Olympics.

He's having too many problems, way too early. This has DNF written all over it.

The above times and averages include transitions. Unfortunately, I can't but be bothered to add his daily splits for a proper comparison with his 50/50/50 attempt from 2015, but here's his times from then:

SayHey Kid wrote:
Updated splits (no T1 or T2 times are included in the overall total)
from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 1 - Hawaii - 1:07/6:21/5:23 = 12:51
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08 (Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12. He swim an additional 400 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Day 4 - Oregon - 1:23/6:30/5:04 = 12:58
Day 5 - California - 1:26/6:46/5:30 = 13:43
Day 6 - Nevada - 1:34/7:31/6:19 = 15:24
Day 7 - Arizona - 1:44/7:39/6:39 = 15:02
Day 8 - New Mexico - 1:33/9:17 (6:20 moving)/ ~6:30 = ~17:30
Day 9 - Colorado - 1:38/7:38/6:23 = 15:39
Day 10 - Kansas - 1:32/7:37/6:38 = 15:48
Day 11 - Oklahoma - 1:35/7:30/7:17 = 16:22
Day 12 - Texas (indoors) - 1:21/6:26/5:55 = 13:43
Day 13 - Louisana (indoors) - 1:19/6:34/5:27 = 14:20
Day 14 - Arkansas - 1:16/6:47 (1:47 indoors)/6:09 = 14:11
Day 15 - Missouri - 1:22/6:38/5:23 = 13:23
Day 16 - Illinois - 1:22/6:59/6:58 = 15:19
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's really experienced, I wonder why this event started so differently to the 50 50. Thought the approach to 100 100 was more to train as you go but even with the walking his body is reacting differently. If he is retaining water that could be oedema from inflammation but is there any chance the saline is too high? I guess he's got a medical person onboard that would know.

Soaking your feet for an hour and half then frictioning for 12 hours is already a tough combo. Does he do anything to keep his feet dry in the water? Vaseline or booties? Talcum powder post swim?
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
He's really experienced, I wonder why this event started so differently to the 50 50. Thought the approach to 100 100 was more to train as you go but even with the walking his body is reacting differently. If he is retaining water that could be oedema from inflammation but is there any chance the saline is too high? I guess he's got a medical person onboard that would know.

Soaking your feet for an hour and half then frictioning for 12 hours is already a tough combo. Does he do anything to keep his feet dry in the water? Vaseline or booties? Talcum powder post swim?
Adrian Kosteras,who is an experienced Ultra-endurance tri-geek who did 100 marathons in 100 days and is aiming at 100 Iron's next year posted on IronCowboys FB page just under my post when they first showed the huge swelling in both ankles. His message,"Stop consuming so much salt !" .
If James is doing what I think he is doing which is consuming the appropriate amount of electrolytes for a guy doing an Ironman while at the same time eating corn dogs,burritos and pizza then he is indeed consuming too much salt.
In Ultraman Australia 2018 I made the stupid mistake of consuming waaaaaaaay too much salt water during the 10k swim and then topped it up with electrolytes from my paddler and then road crew on the 145k ride on Day One. By 10am on Day Two I was in the Emergency Ward of the Noosa Hospital totally bloated and suffering from Pulmonary Oedema. Not much fun at all.
James needs to be very careful from this point on,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
If you require being physically supported during the run, that's when you're no longer progressing under your own power. That's been outside the spirit of athletic achievement .

Now this comment I agree with. If he has had to be carried then it's game over, DNF.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
tomdefietsbom wrote:

Makes a massive difference, so after 10 of them saying "this is what a deca looks like" is fully censored and an insult to the people actually doing a deca.

Seriously?

Yes. A deca is an actual event with rules where the participants do not have the luxury of getting in a bunch of wheels during the bike. I can respect that he does this exercise for 10 days, but it is no way the same as doing a deca. I can go ride my bike slowly around France for a few weeks and say this is what a Tour de France looks like (have done the biking, did not make that silly statement). A sane person knows the statement is bullshit. A narcissist will say it anyway because they need to perpetuate the belief they are amazing.

Again, not saying he isn't doing a respectable amount of exercise, just that it has nothing to do with a deca or an ironman, because those are actual events where the rules make it a lot harder. Without bending the rules this attempt at 100 would have failed after what, 2 days? A pro winning in Frankfurt was pulled out 1k from the finish due to them not being able to keep upright during the run so in any real event this would be stopped.
Last edited by: tomdefietsbom: Mar 17, 21 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a video on Facebook from late last night, he said he had a very sharp pain at mile 11 on the marathon. He was holding himself up with poles, and when he "walked" away, it was a hobble. It will be interesting to see what he's able to do today.

March 15th numbers:
Swim: 1:25
T1: 23:04
Bike: 6:48
T2: 57:57
Run: 8:23
=17:58
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
In a video on Facebook from late last night, he said he had a very sharp pain at mile 11 on the marathon. He was holding himself up with poles, and when he "walked" away, it was a hobble. It will be interesting to see what he's able to do today.

March 15th numbers:

poor bloke looks out on his feet ,not sure about the use of poles on the walk

guess the 17 hr limit does not apply to this challenge
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stivrunning wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:

March 15th numbers:

poor bloke looks out on his feet ,not sure about the use of poles on the walk

guess the 17 hr limit does not apply to this challenge
To be fair the 17hr limit doesn't apply in International Ultra Triathlon Association 1 x Day races either..There is a start time every day and if you complete the previous day and make it to the start line it is all good. Historically the 1xDay multi-Iron's are more difficult to finish than the straight distance multi-Iron events because there is the 24 hr time limit hanging over everybody's head.If you have a bad day you are fucked.Let's take the Deca for example. In the 1x10 you have 10 days to cover the distance at 24 hrs a day for each event.In the straight distance Deca you have 14 days to complete the distance giving an extra 4 days for the same distance.That is why the DNF rate is so much higher in the 1x Day events.I am surprised that IronCowboy has gone under 17hrs for ever day except today. Then again the fact that he is getting so much assistance out there is the ONLY THING that is keeping him going.That doesn't happen in the IUTA races and without the literal assistance of drafting and the morale boosting of the Posse pacing him I would imagine he would have DNF'ed a few days ago.Then again,his party,his rules,his results.
IUTA | Deca Ultra Triathlon (Day) in New Orleans 2018 (iutasport.com)
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:

March 15th numbers:

gonna throw in the towel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:

March 15th numbers:

Ouch!

If you take away the transitions for sake of comparison to his 50*/50/50, that's a 16:36. Slower than any day in the first few weeks of the 50. More significantly, his run is over an hour slower than a comparable point in the 50.

Constantly exacerbated injury and declining performance is exactly what foreshadows many DNFs in long ultra events.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Vegaskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vegaskid wrote:
dunno wrote:
Vegaskid wrote:
dunno wrote:

So..

2) How is he cheating?

1. Initially he branded this as 100 ironmans in 100 days. After he got all the attention, he changed the name and came up with some more detailed rules.
2. A guy is helping him walk the marathon, or is that in the fine print between IVs and drafting.
3.never said he was competing in an event.

also, why doesn't he just get a big box truck to draft off? gotta be easier and it's ok per the rules

Perhaps it was called 100 ā€œironmansā€ because, as it is, IM is still foreign to most of the general population, so it at least gave people some idea of what he was doing. Then all the ā€œackshuallyā€ triathletes came out to give all the reasons why this doesnā€™t ā€œcountā€ as an IM, so they had to clarify.

ā€œIronmanā€ has become synonymous with long distance triathlon. Itā€™s more recognizable, and heā€™s trying to garner more attention for this feat which helps himself, and the charity heā€™s supporting. Which is why it was originally labeled that way. Iā€™ve only been doing the sport for about 6 years, but one of the best parts is how supportive the fellow athletes are. So I shake my head when I read all the negative comments and people constantly putting him and his event down.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Vegaskid wrote:

Perhaps it was called 100 ā€œironmansā€ because, as it is, IM is still foreign to most of the general population, so it at least gave people some idea of what he was doing. Then all the ā€œackshuallyā€ triathletes came out to give all the reasons why this doesnā€™t ā€œcountā€ as an IM, so they had to clarify.

ā€œIronmanā€ has become synonymous with long distance triathlon. Itā€™s more recognizable, and heā€™s trying to garner more attention for this feat which helps himself, and the charity heā€™s supporting. Which is why it was originally labeled that way. Iā€™ve only been doing the sport for about 6 years, but one of the best parts is how supportive the fellow athletes are. So I shake my head when I read all the negative comments and people constantly putting him and his event down.

In the first paragraph of the first page of his 100/100 website he says the 50/50 was "50 Ironmans". He is definitely pitching it as Ironmans, although he's backed down in some spots.

For the record, I don't care if he does pitch it as "Ironmans". The "I ran a marathon but you didn't run it because you were slower" people drive me nuts. I don't want to be one of those. My only problem with him is that he has given a big middle finger to the tri community and he still claims that he completed the 50/50, which he did not.

He says "look at me, look at me, what I'm doing is so awesome" but when people look at him and try to assess how awesome it is, he gets pissy and angry. Making big claims invites scrutiny, which is totally appropriate. I guess my problem isn't so much what he's doing, it's that he is such a dick about it. If he was like "How lucky am I that I get to do this cool thing!" instead of "if you don't worship me as a hero you're evil" I might be more supportive.

I think he'd get just as far with "aw shucks, I didn't quite make it last time, but I tried my best" and have people come back with "what you did was amazing, James, don't be so hard on yourself".
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep seeing posts with this same sentiment, talking about all the 'negativity'.

Questioning rules isn't negativity. Most of the folks who have been critical of the rules have also constantly said what he's doing is incredibly difficult. I haven't seen anyone actively rooting against him, maybe a few gleeful 'called it' posts when he started walking the marathon.

I personally think he's doing something incredibly difficult, would love to see him succeed, and know that I wouldn't have made it anywhere near as far as IC has. But I also think if he could get away with doing the swim floating downstream on an inner tube without the broader public turning on him, he'd make that his rule. Those two thoughts aren't in conflict.
Quote Reply

Prev Next