Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
On a somewhat related note indoor crowd size at Montreal Canadiens playoff games got upped to 3500. Let's see what shakes out. It is only 16 June. A lot can happen in roughly 70 days.

3500 but each section can only have 250 people in it, and each section has to have a seperate entrance and bathrooms etc. Seems another way for hockey to get around the rules for everybody else.

Still, I'm hopeful that the full goes off in August or Sept, will be number 12 for me and 4 time at Tremblant. I'd better start swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
On a somewhat related note indoor crowd size at Montreal Canadiens playoff games got upped to 3500. Let's see what shakes out. It is only 16 June. A lot can happen in roughly 70 days.

Agree a lot can happen, but out of towners need to make decisions now and it's irresponsible for organizers to not be giving them the state of decision making.

Well it is technically on until the govt tells them they cannot have it on that date. We are in a pandemic (still), so everyone gets what they get. It may be cancelled later but for now, it is not cancelled. For whatever reason you're coming across like you want organizers to just cancell it to be responsible to out of towners. Technically almost everyone is from out of town (from tremblant). Canadians are allowed to go to Quebec (no limitations going into Quebec). Its just foreigners who cannot go YET. But plenty of Ironman events have happened aroudn the world where foreigners cannot go. But that's just a pandemic
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 16, 21 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

3500 but each section can only have 250 people in it, and each section has to have a seperate entrance and bathrooms etc. Seems another way for hockey to get around the rules for everybody else.

Still, I'm hopeful that the full goes off in August or Sept, will be number 12 for me and 4 time at Tremblant. I'd better start swimming.

It does not matter how hockey slices and dices 3500 into groups of 250. The precedent is now there for all other types of cultural activities to slice and dice theirs into groups of 250 (not just triathlon). And numbers will be dramatically better by early July on all fronts. This is plenty of time for everyone to get set and go (6 weeks).

Sorry for the doom and gloom crowd, but there is actually a chance now. You can doom and glooom it all we want but there were only 820 CASES IN ALL OF CANADA yesterday (just for American friends reading)

https://www.worldometers.info/...irus/country/canada/

At some point its proven that vaccinations are working in Canada (as if magically they would not work here as they did in the UK, Israel, USA, UAE). 60 percent plus single dosages, the virus it is hitting a wall of resistance and off 70+ percent is on the path to dead

Eventually as these numbers stare Canadian politicians in the face, there won't be a logical reason to limit many things. Least of all outdoors.

We can say that "based on today's reopening plan XYZ will not happen" but you have to wait for the revised reopening plan from July 10th, not June 10th.

IM Tremblant is ONLY going to be a 2000ish person event....that is 8x250 if you want to play that game.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
For whatever reason you're coming across like you want organizers to just cancell it to be responsible to out of towners.

No I do not want them to cancel it. I want clarity as to what the criteria is for holding it or for cancelling it so people can make decisions. Hell, if they hold it, maybe I'll go volunteer. I had a blast doing this in the past/

I see people (3 posts up) that have to make a decision on accommodations, travel and training. I wish the organizers would be honest with them so they can defer to another race, get refunds on rentals and possibly re-organize their race schedule to a more realistic date.

Technically it is still on. Technically it can't occur under current conditions. Technically the roadmap for re-opening places a milestone beyond the date of the event.

They didn't pull the Sept 70.3 date out of their ass. It came a few days after Legault announced the Aug 30th milestone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

It does not matter how hockey slices and dices 3500 into groups of 250. The precedent is now there for all other types of cultural activities to slice and dice theirs into groups of 250 (not just triathlon). And numbers will be dramatically better by early July on all fronts. This is plenty of time for everyone to get set and go (6 weeks).

Sorry for the doom and gloom crowd, but there is actually a chance now. You can doom and glooom it all we want but there were only 820 CASES IN ALL OF CANADA yesterday (just for American friends reading)

https://www.worldometers.info/...irus/country/canada/

At some point its proven that vaccinations are working in Canada (as if magically they would not work here as they did in the UK, Israel, USA, UAE). 60 percent plus single dosages, the virus it is hitting a wall of resistance and off 70+ percent is on the path to dead

Eventually as these numbers stare Canadian politicians in the face, there won't be a logical reason to limit many things. Least of all outdoors.

We can say that "based on today's reopening plan XYZ will not happen" but you have to wait for the revised reopening plan from July 10th, not June 10th.

IM Tremblant is ONLY going to be a 2000ish person event....that is 8x250 if you want to play that game.

IM Tremblant could limit each wave to 250 people
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there are lots of games that could be played to make things work around re opening frameworks, but everyone is bogged down at today's reopening plan.

That plan will change. As I said, Canada overall is down to 800 cases yesterday nationwide. In a few weeks given all the vaccination this will be sub 500 (and probably lower given trajectory). Quebec new cases were 105...7 day average 158...and that's in the face of plenty of people being "Covidiots" since the reopening (and its still going down).

So, let's see what the reopening plan is in early July! Early July and early June reopening plans are likely very different animmals.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Agree a lot can happen, but out of towners need to make decisions now and it's irresponsible for organizers to not be giving them the state of decision making.

I think its a lot of mixed signals that makes it confusing. As Dev said, they allow big crowds indoors for hockey, and they even said that shortly they will allow outdoor gatherings of 3500 indoors and outdoors as long as there is some sort of distancing between groups of 250 or something like that:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/...500-people-1.5471739

But at the same time other large events in September have cancelled, and folks on the IMMT FB page have mentioned that there has been no arrangements made yet to get volunteers or medical staff.....so who knows. I'm still leaning towards it not happening, but not as certain as I was before. Same for the 70.3 they delayed until September......far from a sure thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Yeah, there are lots of games that could be played to make things work around re opening frameworks, but everyone is bogged down at today's reopening plan.

That plan will change. As I said, Canada overall is down to 800 cases yesterday nationwide. In a few weeks given all the vaccination this will be sub 500 (and probably lower given trajectory). Quebec new cases were 105...7 day average 158...and that's in the face of plenty of people being "Covidiots" since the reopening (and its still going down).

So, let's see what the reopening plan is in early July! Early July and early June reopening plans are likely very different animmals.

The one thing I'm worried about is the situation in Britain where cases are going up and their government has delayed opening plans even though it appears that death (and maybe hospitalization) rates are not increasing like they did in the previous waves. If the Quebec government only uses case rates, I think the race is in trouble as we will likely see some increase again, due to re-opening, the 10-30% of the population who refuse to get vaccinated, and the rare cases who get 'sick' after one dose. However, if they look at hospitalization rates and death rates, then hopefully the race can go ahead this autumn.

Like you said, in another three weeks we'll have a much better idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:

The one thing I'm worried about is the situation in Britain where cases are going up and their government has delayed opening plans even though it appears that death (and maybe hospitalization) rates are not increasing like they did in the previous waves. If the Quebec government only uses case rates, I think the race is in trouble as we will likely see some increase again, due to re-opening, the 10-30% of the population who refuse to get vaccinated, and the rare cases who get 'sick' after one dose. However, if they look at hospitalization rates and death rates, then hopefully the race can go ahead this autumn.

Like you said, in another three weeks we'll have a much better idea.

Christian Dubé, the minister of health is a great communicator. The head doctor, Dr Arruda is also very media savvy.

They have made it very clear their primary metric is double doses of vaccine, because a single dose is not very effective against the Delta variant (previously known as the Indian variant). Dubé was crystal clear on this yesterday. It's all about double doses.

So if double vaccination is the main criteria and 75% of people 12 and up is the metric, then you can easily figure out the odds of that being done by August 22.
Last edited by: marcag: Jun 16, 21 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an out of towner (Los Angeles), I do not want them to cancel, I just want options like Penticton did for their athletes. Defer to a later date, defer to 2022, or transfer to another American IM race this year.

At this point, depending on what races they possibly offer, I would likely do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There should be alot of people getting their second dose soon:

Dupuis confirmed Quebec should receive more than 654,000 Moderna doses next week and nearly 951,000 the week after. The province will also receive more than 546,000 Pfizer doses in each of the next two weeks and an unspecified number of AstraZeneca doses.

edited to add this link:

https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=QC

Last edited by: Tri Bread: Jun 16, 21 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:

Dupuis confirmed Quebec should receive more than 654,000 Moderna doses next week and nearly 951,000 the week after. The province will also receive more than 546,000 Pfizer doses in each of the next two weeks and an unspecified number of AstraZeneca doses.

edited to add this link:

yes, and they are doing an amazing job of accelerating things. They are moving up a lot of appointments.
But the 12 to 17 year olds will be between Aug 15 and 30th on their return to school. Hard to move this up.
Their August 31target is very achievable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

edited to add this link:

yes, and they are doing an amazing job of accelerating things. They are moving up a lot of appointments.
But the 12 to 17 year olds will be between Aug 15 and 30th on their return to school. Hard to move this up.
Their August 31target is very achievable.

Today I (age group 45-49) was able to move my 2nd dose Moderna appointment from Aug.23 to July 2nd (earliest available due to shortage of Moderna)....so in theory in Quebec most aged 18+ should be double vaccinated by the end of July.

As you say though, vaccinating that 12-17 crowd is more tricky and could be the show stopper. IMMT 70.3 should be a go in Sept., the Full distance is another story. I think it will also depend on how quick Ontario can get 2nd doses deployed as I'm sure a large percentage of those signed up for IMMT are from Ontario.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need to remember that full immunity cannot be assumed until 14 days or so after the second dose- so its not like everything can be greenlit to go the minute the double dose thresohold is reached.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is easy to get overwhelmed with the guidelines of the day. They won't be static forever, so hold out hope that they will change.

We kind of know that waiting to do everything based on X% of second dosages is a red herring based on 6, 4, 3 weeks ago when hospitals were at capacity.

You will see these guidelines change rapidly simply because risk is declining as 70% plus now have a large amount of immunity from shot number 1 and hospital pressure is decompresing rapidly.

Then reopening guidelines will dramatically changed. They already are. The world does not need for such a high percentage of second dosage to do low risk things outdooors. We already saw that in nations ahead of Canada on dose 1 and then dose 2.

If we are patient and wait we will see new guildelines for reopening as it is all rapidly changing. Take for example the Kentucky Derby in May. That place was packed with maskless people, but with the USA waaay ahead of Canada, this did turn to super spreader. Baseball stadiums are packed in USA. No superspreader. Hockey and basketball arenas packed, no superspeader.

Yes, Canada is a different country, but the virus works the same here. Once cases are at the floor, hospitals are decompressed and politicians and health care folks see successes overseas (and here), the guidelines for reopening will rapidly change. The medical world does not exactly know how effective these vaccines are, so they have pushed politicians with over caution. Now in the real world we are seeing both overseas and here how good they are.

Politicians will feel more comfortable that they are accountable for people's lives going back to normal activities vs protecting deaths that are no longer a concern.

It still may be too little too late for IM Tremblant to happen, but from a public health angle, it will be a dramatically low risk thing by end of Aug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think it is easy to get overwhelmed with the guidelines of the day. They won't be static forever, so hold out hope that they will change.

We kind of know that waiting to do everything based on X% of second dosages is a red herring based on 6, 4, 3 weeks ago when hospitals were at capacity.

You will see these guidelines change rapidly simply because risk is declining as 70% plus now have a large amount of immunity from shot number 1 and hospital pressure is decompresing rapidly.

Then reopening guidelines will dramatically changed. They already are. The world does not need for such a high percentage of second dosage to do low risk things outdooors. We already saw that in nations ahead of Canada on dose 1 and then dose 2.

If we are patient and wait we will see new guildelines for reopening as it is all rapidly changing. Take for example the Kentucky Derby in May. That place was packed with maskless people, but with the USA waaay ahead of Canada, this did turn to super spreader. Baseball stadiums are packed in USA. No superspreader. Hockey and basketball arenas packed, no superspeader.

Yes, Canada is a different country, but the virus works the same here. Once cases are at the floor, hospitals are decompressed and politicians and health care folks see successes overseas (and here), the guidelines for reopening will rapidly change. The medical world does not exactly know how effective these vaccines are, so they have pushed politicians with over caution. Now in the real world we are seeing both overseas and here how good they are.

Politicians will feel more comfortable that they are accountable for people's lives going back to normal activities vs protecting deaths that are no longer a concern.

It still may be too little too late for IM Tremblant to happen, but from a public health angle, it will be a dramatically low risk thing by end of Aug.

You need to look at the data coming out of the UK. There is a reason the UK is delaying re-opening and the smart people here are trying to avoid the same thing.

The delta variant is what is scaring health professionals. A single dose of vaccine is only 30% effective against the delta variant (preventing symptomatic disease). This is what is justifying the urgency for the 2nd dose.

The delta variant is in Quebec and it's in Ontario. It's also doubling every 2 weeks in the US.

Quebec will take until 2023 to catch up with it's backlog of surgery. While unlikely, a 4th wave would be devastating. Maybe we need to look at that before dreaming of 2000 immuno compromised people huffing and puffing along the petit train du Nord.
Last edited by: marcag: Jun 17, 21 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a FB post yesterday from Xterra Tremblant, seems their event is -supposedly- a go for end of August.
That said, obviously it is a much smaller field than an ironman, probably 200-400 people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can cherry pick, but we're not seeing that in the USA, nor Israel, nor UAE and much of continental Europe. However, you are right politicians may err on side of worrying about 70% single vaccination is not strong enough against Delta variant.

As for backlog of surgeries, this is not a reason to keep society limited. That's another discussion. its a fair discussion, but that is grasping at other reasons for not allowing for events. This has nothing to do with virus propagation. With that logic pro hockey playofffs should not happen due to injuries and potential impact on hospital system

Edit: UK's much higher flow of humans with India, versus Canada and India may be the root of this more than percent of single vax in either country. It MAY have more to do with percent unvaxed and intra country human flow volumes but who knows.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 17, 21 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You can cherry pick, but we're not seeing that in the USA, nor Israel, nor UAE and much of continental Europe. However, you are right politicians may err on side of worrying about 70% single vaccination is not strong enough against Delta variant.

The US ? Wait for it. Let's talk about it in the fall

devashish_paul wrote:
As for backlog of surgeries, this is not a reason to keep society limited. That's another discussion. its a fair discussion, but that is grasping at other reasons for not allowing for events. This has nothing to do with virus propagation. With that logic pro hockey playofffs should not happen due to injuries and potential impact on hospital system

The health system cannot handle a fourth wave. It's simple.

The fact the Quebec health system is so vulnerable is another discussion. But it is in bad shape.

Double vaccination, with the variant in play right now is the only way to prevent a fourth wave. So until it's done, we will have to make some sacrifices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

The US ? Wait for it. Let's talk about it in the fall

devashish_paul wrote:

The health system cannot handle a fourth wave. It's simple.

The fact the Quebec health system is so vulnerable is another discussion. But it is in bad shape.

Double vaccination, with the variant in play right now is the only way to prevent a fourth wave. So until it's done, we will have to make some sacrifices.

Double vaccination may prevent a fourth wave, or maybe its not needed to prevent a fourth wave. No one knows exactly and I think we all get that. The question is what tolerance there is for societies to have large curbs when hospitals are decompressed "just in case" of a potential 4th wave.

You are saying politicians won't waver from the stance of today, I am wagering that things on restrictions will lessen. Either of us could be right. It is likely that you are more right than me, but not for any data driven reasons, but because politicians will lean towards emotional reasons (and that is understandable).

I personally have supported all govt restrictions to the letter (have not even been in a restaurant since March 2020, been in the house of no one other than my own and my parents' when we were allowed). I am far from the Covidiot crew, however, I would minimally like to hold out hope given outdoor risk at this point has gone to close to nothing.

We can both approach this from different angles. You are coming off like coming from the debbie doomsday angle (at least the way I read it), I am looking at this based on what data has evolved in other geos where covid19 spread has dropped to the floor and resultant political actions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

You are saying politicians won't waver from the stance of today, I am wagering that things on restrictions will lessen. ....

That seems to be happening here in the maritimes. Opening is moving a little faster than anticipated. The Atlantic bubble has essentially opened again, meaning we can travel around the maritimes for the most part. And in fact New Brunswick I believe has opened up to all of Canada (which kind of destroys the whole bubble anyway) as well as Maine once feds say OK.

I give IMMT a 25% chance, and the 70.3 in Sept a 50% chance..... :)
and I give my swimming about a 10% chance..................
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jun 17, 21 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In any case I better get on with making my hotel reservations for the Tremblant 12km lake crossing swim the weekend before the 140.6. Worst case, I do a mega training weekend with 12km personal swimming 300km riding and a marathon of running (split between many workouts over entire weekend). I am on for Demi Esprit on 11 Sept weekend and will likely register for the Gatineau Olympic Tri (also in Quebec) on July 31. I am pretty sure nothing will stop the Olympic tri, lake crossing and Demi Esprit half IMs who have all announced that they are on in Quebec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice.
My thinking is that if both WTC races happen to be cancelled, but the Xterra still is being held and still open for registration, I'll go do that, Aug 28.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just announced that the US is donating an additional 1 million Moderna to Canada that will arrive today. I wonder if there were strings attached regarding the current border closure that expires in 4 days?

We now have 10.5 million Moderna and Pfizer arriving this week. Vaccine procurement is no longer an issue, it all comes down to how fast we can get it into arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You are coming off like coming from the debbie doomsday angle (at least the way I read it), I am looking at this based on what data has evolved in other geos where covid19 spread has dropped to the floor and resultant political actions.

Sometimes a little debbie doomsday is to counter the irrational exuberance, at least the way I read it
Quote Reply

Prev Next