Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion
Quote | Reply
Quebec Govt announced their reopening plan. They are talking about 2500 NHL fans at live games in June assuming certain percent single shot vaccinated. Quebec will gradually gauge what will happen over the summer.

• Tremblant 70.3 moved to 12 Sep, same weekend as Esprit half Ironman, sprint, Olympic (Sep 10-12).
  • No announcement yet as of 19 May for full 140.6 still slated for 22 Aug

Canadian govt still requires 2 week quarantine upon arrivel to Canada. Not sure when and if that changes for those double vaccinated.

Let's see where this goes. Quebec govt is being proactive on their reopening steps, so it is looking more possible than previously.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure which is more realistic, the full happening in August, or Les Habs having games to play in June.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Not sure which is more realistic, the full happening in August, or Les Habs having games to play in June.

Kind of need Habs to have games in front of fans in June and then 3 weeks to see if that was super spreader event or ideally not due to all the vaccines. If Habs play multiple games in front of fans with X percent of single shot vaccinated and things stay low (as they have in some parts of the world), then a 2000 person outdoor Ironman in August should be not much of a problem. Quebec is talking about opening restaurants etc (the second challenge of an IM event), so there will be plenty of time to see continued downward trend or uptick.

Lets see, but Les Habs playing the Leafs in front of 2500 live fans in a closed arena will be a test if nothing else.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was more implying that it more likely the Leafs will sweep the Canadians (and therefore no NHL games in June)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 4 clear milestones May 28th, June 11, June 28 and end of August
The end of August is tied to sporting events
It depends on 75% with 2 vaccines.

I suspect the 70.3 will be tied to this milestone and nothing will happen before that date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed the Full happens 8/22 (or at least some time this year). Obviously have some time till the race, but for travel/planning reasons, would like to know asap if it's on or not, especially if there are deferral options to other races.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for both and only have to contend with a provincial border crossing, so I suspect there's a decent chance for me. That's good news for me, because I'm currently in the bike/run shape of my life. I wish I could say the same for swimming though.

If anyone's following the Facebook group discussion, everyone seems to be still worried about the border crossing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a call from Tremblant reservations about the (new) reservation I booked for the 70.3 weekend. They were calling to make sure I was ok with it being on Ironman weekend.

I suspect it's because I booked quickly at a low rate after the announcement and they're keen to get in triathletes at a new higher rate. (Also because you might not want to be around that weekend if triathlon isn't your thing).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that Ironman in Tampa is going to hold tight on Aug 22 140.6 as the rough trajectory on govt reopening would tend to support it. It may still be tough for US competitors to get across the border, but that has a chance to change too.

Sitting here today, I would say by August the Feds allow for double vaccinated people to cross border. Part of the reason is family reunifications too even if you don't want to let it happen for biz. Lots of families spread across borders have been cut off from one another and if double vax data shows it is safe, having citizens being able to re unite with loved ones overseas will be a larger vote getting reason to allow some flexibility before big business drives any agenda. On the biz side having been on calls with politicians it seems that there is an appetite to replicate EU double vaccinated entry if public health trajectory continues in the right direction and worldwide data shows it is low risk. There is an entire tourism and export sector patiently waiting for a chance to do some form of semi normal biz again.

So all these stack up in favour of Americans also being able to do IM Tremblant too. First thing is the race has to happen, second thing for Americans entering is the Feds will have to change policy for quarantines for double vaccinated. Both are not impossible"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that's some encouraging news.

Now we speculate about the implications for that other IM race out west =)

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
I was more implying that it more likely the Leafs will sweep the Canadians (and therefore no NHL games in June)

Crazy stuff in Canada...Covid cases coming down, talk of us coming out of hiding from our igloos and do real things with real people and suddenly Montreal wins game 1 against the Leafs. What's the odds of Game 6 in Montreal in front of 2500 fans? 50/50?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

Crazy stuff in Canada...Covid cases coming down, talk of us coming out of hiding from our igloos and do real things with real people and suddenly Montreal wins game 1 against the Leafs. What's the odds of Game 6 in Montreal in front of 2500 fans? 50/50?

Why is Canada so far behind the US w/ regards to Covid restrictions? It had been a shit show here in the US up until February or so, but even ultra liberal placed like CA are fully opening soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Why is Canada so far behind the US w/ regards to Covid restrictions?

1) Late arrival of vaccines. I consider ourselves lucky Europe was a fair trading partner.
2) Late surge of cases due to variants. Many blame poor border control.
3) We are way more conservative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

Game 6 ? That's a certainity

The bigger question is will Legault allow a Stanley cup parade ?

Will Montreal fans follow social distancing guidelines while rioting ?

Ca sent la coupe !!
Last edited by: marcag: May 21, 21 3:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Quebec Govt announced their reopening plan. They are talking about 2500 NHL fans at live games in June assuming certain percent single shot vaccinated. Quebec will gradually gauge what will happen over the summer.

• Tremblant 70.3 moved to 12 Sep, same weekend as Esprit half Ironman, sprint, Olympic (Sep 10-12).
  • No announcement yet as of 19 May for full 140.6 still slated for 22 Aug

Canadian govt still requires 2 week quarantine upon arrivel to Canada. Not sure when and if that changes for those double vaccinated.

Let's see where this goes. Quebec govt is being proactive on their reopening steps, so it is looking more possible than previously.

That’s to bad they moved it to the esprit weekend. Will they blame COVID for esprit’s death? Always wanted to head north and try that race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I just got a call from Tremblant reservations about the (new) reservation I booked for the 70.3 weekend. They were calling to make sure I was ok with it being on Ironman weekend.

I suspect it's because I booked quickly at a low rate after the announcement and they're keen to get in triathletes at a new higher rate. (Also because you might not want to be around that weekend if triathlon isn't your thing).

When I checked into the hotel for Ironman Muskoka the guy looked at my confirmation paperwork and said "Holy cow! When did you book this?" I got the room for $75/night on Ironman weekend. I told him I booked it 5 minutes after the race was formally announced.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first thought as well, but my guess is Esprit will still thrive. It's cheaper, you don't need to spend hundreds on a chalet or hotel to race, and people are desperate to race. And I know a lot of people who do Esprit just ride their bikes or subway to the event. The barriers to entry are pretty low.

Still a dick move by IM , although I guess we've come to expect that from them.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
timbasile wrote:

When I checked into the hotel for Ironman Muskoka the guy looked at my confirmation paperwork and said "Holy cow! When did you book this?" I got the room for $75/night on Ironman weekend. I told him I booked it 5 minutes after the race was formally announced.

I tried that trick for IM Lake Placid 2000. In 1999 the race was Aug 15, and the next year they moved to last week of July. But it backfired on me....by mistake I booked a hotel in Lake Placid Florida LOL!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
This was my first thought as well, but my guess is Esprit will still thrive. It's cheaper, you don't need to spend hundreds on a chalet or hotel to race, and people are desperate to race. And I know a lot of people who do Esprit just ride their bikes or subway to the event. The barriers to entry are pretty low.

IM did cancel the sprint and Oly at Tremblant and this is the bread and butter of Esprit.

As well there is far more demand for HIM than Tremblant can supply so I suspect there will be no impact on Esprit.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
M----n wrote:

IM did cancel the sprint and Oly at Tremblant and this is the bread and butter of Esprit.

As well there is far more demand for HIM than Tremblant can supply so I suspect there will be no impact on Esprit.

My Esprit event entry for half IM is rolled over from 2020, so no impact to Esprit revenue in general since Tremblant70.3 is sold out already and anyone who wants to race that weekend can only go over to Esprit for now unless they reopen registrattions due to American cancellations but hopefully by then border is open with double vaccination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several "hard" dates that make things very difficult before August 30th which is why I don't think the full in Aug is an option.

Word on the street is the pride parade won't take place and that is typically the weekend of IMMT. That's an event to watch for indication if IMMT has a chance

I believe the air border has the best option of opening before Aug 30.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant 70.3 (Sep 12) and 140.6 (Aug 22) discussion [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

Why is Canada so far behind the US w/ regards to Covid restrictions?

1) Late arrival of vaccines. I consider ourselves lucky Europe was a fair trading partner.
2) Late surge of cases due to variants. Many blame poor border control.
3) We are way more conservative.

I agree with this but I was also in constant contact with friends in Texas and California and my province had much more relaxed restrictions for most of the year. I had far less restrictions that any of them. It is only in the last month that we moved back to much stronger restrictions because of an outbreak. It is the worst we have had since this began and it is due to variants.
The vast majority of our cases were due to travel and we were fortunate that most people followed the travel rules. Our current outbreak has been traced back to a case of a group not following them.

I think another factor is that in many places (not all) we did not have widespread infection the first two waves as we saw in some places in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how you can have 2500 single vaxxed people indoors at an NHL game in June, but having 2500 mostly double vaxxed triathletes outdoors in August is still in question.

All bow before the gods of Hockey I suppose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I'm not sure how you can have 2500 single vaxxed people indoors at an NHL game in June, but having 2500 mostly double vaxxed triathletes outdoors in August is still in question.

All bow before the gods of Hockey I suppose?

My hope is they invite 2500 double vaxxed, front line workers as a big thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God

Bless

America
Quote Reply

Prev Next