Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Can you post a link to the course?

https://www.ironman.com/im703-new-york
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect the timing and location means AC won't be renewed beyond it's current contract. WTC's now slightly oversaturated in the market for that time of year.

Note: pure speculation on my part. Zero information beyond gut feeling.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now do Toughman & Westchester.
Last edited by: dcpinsonn: Jan 26, 23 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Now do Toughman & Westchester.

Toughman only had 125 in the 1/2 distance and Westchester doesn't even offer one. Not sure how WTC can be accused of killing an event that doesn't even exist.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I suspect the timing and location means AC won't be renewed beyond it's current contract. WTC's now slightly oversaturated in the market for that time of year.

That’s interesting. What’s the hunch based on?AC is great for a lot of reasons; accessible logistics, other stuff to do, novice friendly swim and I like running on the boardwalk. I won’t argue with anyone that thinks the bike on the partially open highway is less than ideal. But for a newer athlete, it’s a great first 1/2.

Jones beach might be a slightly better race location for the bike (if it’s really all closed) but LI for anyone not on the island is a PITA and will have less to do in the immediate area. I agree NYC is great but that’s like saying do eagleman and then go to the Smithsonian.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jones beach is not hard to get to from anywhere in the tri state area especially on an early fall weekend. Plenty of parking. And the best RD in the business
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't think that they're going to keep an East Coast calendar as saturated as they are. You've got Mont Tremblant, AC, Maryland, Jones Beach all in a five week stretch right now.

Factor that against somewhat challenging logistics (and I'd assume cost) regarding both Bader Field, the AC Expressway, and the Boardwalk, and I wouldn't be shocked to see movement on that front after 2023.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I just don't think that they're going to keep an East Coast calendar as saturated as they are. You've got Mont Tremblant, AC, Maryland, Jones Beach all in a five week stretch right now.

Factor that against somewhat challenging logistics (and I'd assume cost) regarding both Bader Field, the AC Expressway, and the Boardwalk, and I wouldn't be shocked to see movement on that front after 2023.

I think Jones Beach will blow AC out of the water. Also it will be !extremely! spectator friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
klorene wrote:
The bike course is posted and its a out and back

Twice :)

with a really weird exit, re-entry at Old Country road
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does one get into this priority registry?

Bryce MK Hudson
https://instagram.com/bmkh.sports.photo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

That’s interesting. What’s the hunch based on?AC is great for a lot of reasons; accessible logistics, other stuff to do, novice friendly swim and I like running on the boardwalk. I won’t argue with anyone that thinks the bike on the partially open highway is less than ideal. But for a newer athlete, it’s a great first 1/2.

Jones beach might be a slightly better race location for the bike (if it’s really all closed) but LI for anyone not on the island is a PITA and will have less to do in the immediate area. I agree NYC is great but that’s like saying do eagleman and then go to the Smithsonian.

You could stay in Long Beach and take the A train to Penn Station, it takes about 45 minutes. You could stay in Times Sq and rent a car on race day morning and drive to Jones Beach in a half hour. If I remember correctly, any hotels around Eagleman at at least 20 minutes away from the race.

But that's not the reason to be excited about this race. Jones Beach is a beautiful place and the course they've laid out is going to be fast and fun, and the views on the run will keep you going.

This is something that the triathletes in the area have been waiting a long time for. This is going to be a great hometown race!

I'll be there handing you all your water!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Bmkh67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmkh67 wrote:
How does one get into this priority registry?
belong to a registered tri club
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:
klorene wrote:

I know. But this will be the only real turnaround for the whole race, the rest is straight up and fast. Comparing to other races, no cars on the road, this ain't so bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:
Why do you think IM put this in such close proximity to 70.3 Atlantic City? seems two events right next to each other in terms of date and relatively proximity is going to take away from either one.

Because they want to kill MightyMan, Toughman, and Westchester. Once they do that they'll space it out with AC.

I always love those comments. If the events actually drew, WTC wouldn't be able to kill them off. MightyMan didn't even have 70 people finish the 1/2 last year. It's already dead.

The reality is that those events don’t draw because they aren’t WTC events. There’s plenty of examples were an independent race like MightyMan might draw 250, gets purchased and rebranded by WTC and then draws 2500 the next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Westchester is an Olympic & one of the bigger AG races out there -- it's back this year after covid shut it down the last few years. If you can't see what IM is doing idk what to tell you. They put 70.3 MA right next to a longstanding, locally owned/operated, race. They do this everywhere. IM still does plenty of good. I don't think it's controversial to point out that this is a part of their business model. Not sure I understand what would drive someone to defend it.
Last edited by: dcpinsonn: Jan 26, 23 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
TriNSki wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:
klorene wrote:

I know. But this will be the only real turnaround for the whole race, the rest is straight up and fast. Comparing to other races, no cars on the road, this ain't so bad.

I think the reason they did this is that there is no way to turnaround and use the SB lanes for the return trip. I think it's great that they are giving the whole roadway to the race. I'd have thought they would do similar to the NY Tri that used the pallisades and only close the road in one direction. So they loop you over to the southbound side, have you continue north for a mile, turnaround and head south..
the exit ramp for OCR will be the biggest "climb" on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How concerned would you be swimming in the bay? I know boaters dump bio-waste in there. Pretty gross
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
How concerned would you be swimming in the bay? I know boaters dump bio-waste in there. Pretty gross
I think of it like the hudson in the NY Tri a few years back, all are tidal estuaries that get flushed out 2x a day with tides, plus you are 4 weeks past prime boating season in late september..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:

I heard that's where they dump covid PPE's also :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:

I don't know how responsible boaters are with their bi-waste, but Zachs Bay, where they all anchor on nice days and for the concerts, with the other boats around, doesn't seem like the most likely place for them to pump out their crap tanks. They only have to go about a mile to be in the open water of the L I Sound to do their dirty deeds.

I've never swam at that end of Zach's bay by the amphitheater, but I've swam at Tobay beach in the center and there's always a current, in or out and it's never seemed dirty or smelly.

But even with that, triathletes have been swimming in some of the crummiest water that race directors could find since the sport was invented. Triathlon was founded at Fiesta Island in San Diego. Before the found it, Fiesta was an industial waste dump.

Don't even mention the Hudson, it's a super-fund site. When the open water swim races in NYC were cancelled because of sewage run-off, NYC Triathlon went on. We've all swam in bed, dirty water. Zach's bay will not be one of those places.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registered!!!! Can't wait!
Corey Roberts - Race Director - is one of the best in the industry. This inaugural race will be one to remember (and continue!)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
Registered!!!! Can't wait!
Corey Roberts - Race Director - is one of the best in the industry. This inaugural race will be one to remember (and continue!)

Did you get a priority email from IM? I normally get these but didn't get a priority reg. email for this event. Last one I got was for IMAZ this past Nov. Wondering if I'm off the list. I did make AWA from the two 70.3s I did this year.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the pavement? I remember the roads to be in pretty terrible shape in the area but that was almost a decade ago.
Is the water generally choppy?

Sad to hear that Toughman is struggling... I volunteered for that event and it looked amazing (minus the million of yellow jackets).
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaliB wrote:
How is the pavement? I remember the roads to be in pretty terrible shape in the area but that was almost a decade ago.
Is the water generally choppy?

Sad to hear that Toughman is struggling... I volunteered for that event and it looked amazing (minus the million of yellow jackets).

Wantagh is good. Should be fine for the bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next