Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything.
Quote | Reply
So now that it's official, I am starting an ask me anything thread about the race venue.
I am very local to where the race is going to take place, and 90% of my training is there as well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding anything in the area, travel, hotels, and whatever else.
Vlad.

P.S. the race director is AWESOME, puts on a great event, I have done many of his races.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
So now that it's official, I am starting an ask me anything thread about the race venue.
I am very local to where the race is going to take place, and 90% of my training is there as well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding anything in the area, travel, hotels, and whatever else.
Vlad.

P.S. the race director is AWESOME, puts on a great event, I have done many of his races.

Is Corey the RD? I've volunteered with his company for some races in the past and he is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:

Vlad.

Is Corey the RD? I've volunteered with his company for some races in the past and he is fantastic.
yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you expect for the wind on the bike course. Out and back courses could be interesting to say the least. ðŸ˜
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
What would you expect for the wind on the bike course. Out and back courses could be interesting to say the least. ðŸ˜

most of the time the wind is in one direction north or south (from the beach or to the beach), crosswinds are rare. happens but rare.
usually it's anyone's guess which direction the wind is blowing but you can expect a tailwind at least in one direction (you'll be flying on wantagh parkway with a tailwind),
going back against the wind would be a bit tough. My hope is to catch a tailwind on way back to T2 the day of the race and start the run with fresh legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
depends on the Weather.. if you get a hot sunny day, look for the onshore breeze to pick up late morning, which may be too late for it to affect most on the bike, save the last southbound leg... so that would be 10-12 out of the south. Otherwise you are dealing with flukey september winds unless a classic fall storm passes through..
assuming a hot sunny day, will be an onshore breeze for the run..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you guess the water temp will be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think IM put this in such close proximity to 70.3 Atlantic City? seems two events right next to each other in terms of date and relatively proximity is going to take away from either one.

Quote | Reply
I have to stay at the Marriott in Uniondale (next to Islanders old home) 5-10x/yr as my company has a subsidiary in Great Neck and another in Rockville Centre I have to visit frequently. Is that the best Marriott option for race weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
I have to stay at the Marriott in Uniondale (next to Islanders old home) 5-10x/yr as my company has a subsidiary in Great Neck and another in Rockville Centre I have to visit frequently. Is that the best Marriott option for race weekend?

yes, it's super close to race start.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

warmer than Maine 70.3 in OOB :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super stoked about this race. Will one side of Wantagh Parkway remain open for traffic or will both north and southbound lanes be closed?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Super stoked about this race. Will one side of Wantagh Parkway remain open for traffic or will both north and southbound lanes be closed?

looks like completely closed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well since you knew the RD.. do they know if there is going to be a pro field at the race? I really hope so. Still a little bitter they took it away from Eagleman, but hopefully it was too move it here.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Well since you knew the RD.. do they know if there is going to be a pro field at the race? I really hope so. Still a little bitter they took it away from Eagleman, but hopefully it was to move it here.
No pros this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:
Well since you knew the RD.. do they know if there is going to be a pro field at the race? I really hope so. Still a little bitter they took it away from Eagleman, but hopefully it was to move it here.
No pros this year

Son of a bench.. thanks for the info!

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a link to the course?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

The swim is in Zach's Bay, a small bay on the back side of the island, not the ocean. There has been a small swim/run race there for years at the same time, where wetsuits are allowed but most years it's probably over the limit. I guess that race is now gone.

For places to stay, the Marriott in Uniondale is probably closest, but the hotels at Kennedy airport aren't far away and they are an easy drive on a weekend morning. Also, check for VRBO's in Long Beach. It's very close and a good place to stay.

This race has me wishing I wasn't a has-been. I still run and swim, and I've been doing that JCC Swim/Run most years, but my days on the bike are over. Good luck everyone, this is going to be a great race!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Why do you think IM put this in such close proximity to 70.3 Atlantic City? seems two events right next to each other in terms of date and relatively proximity is going to take away from either one.

Because they want to kill MightyMan, Toughman, and Westchester. Once they do that they'll space it out with AC.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:

Because they want to kill MightyMan, Toughman, and Westchester. Once they do that they'll space it out with AC.

I always love those comments. If the events actually drew, WTC wouldn't be able to kill them off. MightyMan didn't even have 70 people finish the 1/2 last year. It's already dead.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really a small window for Jones Beach. You're not getting over there before Labor Day or maybe the next weekend. Then you have to get in before the water is too warm and the air is too cold. They didn't have much choice about the date.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:

If the bike course takes in the Meadowbrook up to the Southern State Pkwy and all of the
Ocean Pkwy, it could be a wickedly fast one lap course for riding a disc in the wind!

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 New York Jones Beach. Ask me anything. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike course is posted and its a out and back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
The bike course is posted and its a out and back
Twice :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't pick up on that. Man that could get VERY crowded the second half.

But I guess being a closed course helps a little.
Last edited by: klorene: Jan 26, 23 7:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next