Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC Whistler - Altitude [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockfish wrote:
I saw the elevation from the base to the peak went from 2K feet to over 5K feet? Will altitude be an issue in Whistler?

Thanks,
GS

The IM course will not go up the mountain.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - Altitude [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
rockfish wrote:
I saw the elevation from the base to the peak went from 2K feet to over 5K feet? Will altitude be an issue in Whistler?

Thanks,
GS

The IM course will not go up the mountain.

BORING!!!!

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that Whistler will be using the world's best timing company (Sportstats).

As far as the Tremblant/Whistler comparision, I think they'll both go down as epic courses. But Tremblant has the advantage of near-perfect pavement whereas I hear that the sea-to-sky to Pemberton is not that great.

No sign of a sellout yet!

sportstats wrote:
We will be involved on the timing side for sure for Whislter, looking forward to this new Ironman event.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The highway past Whistler up to Pemberton and beyond isn't all that fantastic, but I hear there's a possibility of improving the road before the event.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Squeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super surprised we haven't seen anything regarding spots left from WTC. Would have expected some sort of "only 500 spots left" message on their facebook if they got there today. Did expect them to reach a near sell-out by Saturday so I guess we will see.

Then again maybe there are a bunch of people like me who signed up thinking they may sign-up but are sticking with Penticton.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [pgeary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whistler is a great destination and will for sure be the next full I sign up for. I was already eyeing Can Pend and was bummed when they canceled it, though hear dot was hard to sign up for... When they announced whistler I was practically gitty. Great place in the summer for the family. Plenty to do. And you could bring the Mtn bikes along and ride trails after. I hope it doesn't sell out and the course is hard as hell so it doesn't sell out fast!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Dont you have to apply to get your hst back? I am annoyed about 12% since Gst is only 5% here.

Trust me, we're annoyed about the HST too =)

Don't let that 12% scare ya, come join us! Just signed up today. Officially in pant shitting mode.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [caveAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caveAllen wrote:
I signed up yesterday for Ironman Canada. I loved the Penticton course but the monopoly the town has on the event is far over reaching. For all those that say WTC is greedy I couldn't disagree more. It was the businesses in Penticton that were greedy wanting a 7 day event vs a 5 day event. Last time I did Ironman Canada I stayed at the days in. You can rent the room I was in for $65 a night any day of the week. But we had to pay $259 a night. I just booked my whistler room it is 2 bedroom with kitchen 625 sqft for $179 a night. Nice job WTC.

As for the sell out I believe it will be wrapped up by this weekend.

You obviously haven't been following many threads not just about the WTC farce in Penticton, or others about such things as "have the WTC jumped the shark"........Its your opinion that the WTC doesn't stand the sniff test.....they are a corporation concerned with one thing the $$, to argue against that is like arguing that they are all about the "athlete experience"....I hope you enjoy "Whistler"....I hope the event is a success, but don't sugarcoat the WTC, they don't care about anything other than the profit line, if they did IMC would still be in Penticton, but that was "our business decision" to quote Andrew Messick the WTC ceo when asked to confirm that IMC would stay in Penticton long term, at the same time as wanting a yearly $125,000 payment from the city for "rights" to hold the event.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:
Dont you have to apply to get your hst back? I am annoyed about 12% since Gst is only 5% here.

Trust me, we're annoyed about the HST too =)

Don't let that 12% scare ya, come join us! Just signed up today. Officially in pant shitting mode.

By Race day, we will hopefully have a new Government, the HST which we the people voted down in August 2011, will finally be repealed, and the good ol' PST/GST will be back....as for claiming it back....well you will have to wait just like us, to see how that will work, as the BC Liberals still won't tell anyone what is happening.......Please ignore their requests to send more Albertan oil, they are trying to con you on that one too.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Squeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squeak wrote:
The highway past Whistler up to Pemberton and beyond isn't all that fantastic, but I hear there's a possibility of improving the road before the event.

I rode Whistler to Pemberton & back this past summer and the highway was just fine. Not sure about the flat section through the Pemberton valley though but looking forward to checking it out. Of greater concern will be the headwind that almost always rolls up the Whistler valley on summer afternoons as you ride back to Whistler from Pemberton.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [dstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pemberton Flats is ok, not fantastic, but no omg sections, its a bit better than the road surface along the Cawston out & back on then old IMC course..........if the winds get up, even though that is dead flat, the ride back to Whistler from the end of the valley will be one looong slog, with a couple of lovely sharp hills on the main Pemberton/whistler section just to kill the legs a bit more.......Beating bike cut off is going to be more of a concern for a lot more athletes

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB PC gov is dreaming that Northern Gateway is a slam dunk done deal.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't usually weigh in on this stuff. What is it about people in this forum that think that those who put on races have to do it as a benefit function rather than as a way to make a living? Race organizers aren't here to give us a venue to compete in without the right to make a profit on our participation. Companies like WTC are organized for the purpose of making a profit, and if I was an investor in WTC (which I am not), I would insist that their behavior be driven by the bottom line. In order to provide a return to their investors, however, they must deliver a product that the consumer (in this case triathletes) want to buy. So that means they have to deliver a great race experience, including great venues, course managment, and appurtenances that make the event have a "bling" factor. Having done more than a dozen WTC events at various distances, I think they do a solid job of delivering a great race experience. If that impacts hotel rates, restaurant menus, or taxi fares, that's just the market at work. We all have a choice as to whether or not we want to participate.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a note, Challenge Family is a NPO. Discuss ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squeak wrote:

Is it worth discussing? I'm more interested in seeing whether they can deliver a competitive product and service to WTC. In addition, as an American, until they prove they can, I'm more interested in supporting an American company than a German company.
Last edited by: lakerfan: Oct 18, 12 23:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dstu wrote:
Squeak wrote:

I rode Whistler to Pemberton & back this past summer and the highway was just fine. Not sure about the flat section through the Pemberton valley though but looking forward to checking it out. Of greater concern will be the headwind that almost always rolls up the Whistler valley on summer afternoons as you ride back to Whistler from Pemberton.

I do W to P and back as regular training ride when we're there in the summer, and I'd say that if you come from pretty much any metropolitan area you will find the road surface fine.

You're right about the wind. Often starts to kick up from 11.30/noon. I can't see anyone avoiding it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [pgeary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pgeary wrote:
Super surprised we haven't seen anything regarding spots left from WTC. Would have expected some sort of "only 500 spots left" message on their facebook if they got there today. Did expect them to reach a near sell-out by Saturday so I guess we will see.

Then again maybe there are a bunch of people like me who signed up thinking they may sign-up but are sticking with Penticton.

What if...and I know this is crazy talk...but what if everyone who wanted to do an ironman next year already signed up for one? What if....and I know this will be impossible to believe...but what if the rest of the world is not as interested in ironman as Slowtwitchers? What if....again a ridiculous thought...the buckets are filling up and Ironman is just not what it used to be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you do for a living Mr. TriTrev? Do you make money?

Why is it so bad to think WTC makes a buck? Good for them, I want to make a crap load of money too....and if you don't want it, I'll take it..let me know and I will give you wiring instructions.

Old.Tired.Argument.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squeak wrote:

NPO's still turn profits. They have to make money off the event. They don't purposely put on a race at a loss.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
Squeak wrote:

Is it worth discussing? I'm more interested in seeing whether they can deliver a competitive product and service to WTC. In addition, as an American, until they prove they can, I'm more interested in supporting an American company than a German company.

Really??? Other than Syria, who cares what country they are based in? The point is, both companies are doing business all over the world and both are bringing athletes together from all around the world. I'm more interested in things like destination, course, volunteer support, community support etc. If nothing else the competition from Challenge will force the WTC to keep prices down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dstu wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
Squeak wrote:

Really??? Other than Syria, who cares what country they are based in? The point is, both companies are doing business all over the world and both are bringing athletes together from all around the world. I'm more interested in things like destination, course, volunteer support, community support etc. If nothing else the competition from Challenge will force the WTC to keep prices down.

I believe that just happened. Tremblant entry fee was $700, Whistler is $625 so the Challenge presence seems to have kept the price down a touch.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dstu wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
Squeak wrote:

I believe that just happened. Tremblant entry fee was $700, Whistler is $625 so the Challenge presence seems to have kept the price down a touch.

Agreed. Whistler is totally on at a sale price and only because of challenge....rev 3 season pass might have something to do with it but challenge is the real player at this point IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

$625 sounds like a steal but by the time you are done with all the stupid additional fees the cost is $742 (US not CAN).

http://www.frostyjunction.com/
https://twitter.com/FrostyJunction
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Squeak wrote:

NPO's still turn profits. They have to make money off the event. They don't purposely put on a race at a loss.

I've been corrected in that Challenge Family is not an NPO, but the Challenge Penticton people (organizers) are. I misinterpreted something I had read earlier in a different area.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [FrostyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FrostyJ wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

$625 sounds like a steal but by the time you are done with all the stupid additional fees the cost is $742 (US not CAN).

$736 Canadian. Not often Canada wins the exchange rate battle.
Quote Reply

Prev Next