Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aquaman, you really need to grow up....really "winy little bitches" ?....and who said I wouldn't particpate in one of their races?....obviously you are making things up, I've finished 4 WTC races so far, and entered one ynext year

My post was factual......yours made entirely from your arse....try pulling your head out next time before you type.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
TriTrev wrote:
The WTC is contracting in Europe, 1x full, 2x halfs, are gone next year,

Sure, and how many do they still have? How many of those sell out? The answer is that they currently have 11 HIM and 8 full distance, 4 of which have already sold out. Challenge? How many of their events sell out? Scrolling through their web page shows only 11 events in total, many with barely 1000 participants.

TriTrev wrote:
isa is a wtc desert, they have now pulled the asia pacific 70.3 championship from Phuket, and moved it to NZ,

So? They've got 10 HIM on their website, and their 5 full distance have one in NZ and the rest in Australia. Didn't Challenge have a race in Australia, what ever happened to that? Who else has races in Asia? Maybe some day Challenge will try in Thailand.

TriTrev wrote:
n North America IM St George is now a70.3, IMNY is gone.....

Again, so what? And what is wrong with your keyboard.........are you on your period.........? If you are trying to write an ellipsis you just need three dots. WTC still has 13 full distance races in NA, Challenge has yet to put on 1. Why is that? Hey, maybe Challenge can try to run a race in St George, and use their super magic abilities to change the weather.

TriTrev wrote:
IM in San Diego ?...you would think that would be a slam dunk but it has never happened, and never will (politics, and course problems), and now Challenge has arrived in North America,

Have they? IMC sold out every year for how many of the past years. Challenge Penticton barely has 1000 participants and that was before WTC announced Whistler.

TriTrev wrote:
ith less demands placed on host cities

Do you mean from fewer participants?

TriTrev wrote:
(in fact the cites have a huge say in what happens), decision time is coming for the WTC, they are near to saturation point especially in the 140.6 market...competitors are moving in (rev3 & Hits in addition to Challenge) all offering promises of a better athlete experience.......

They can make all kinds of promises, but it seems no one cares. HITS races don't sell out either. If "better athlete experience" was important you'd think those races would be more popular. And again, you bring up this absurd notion of market saturation, which seems to be based on not selling out. If the new IMC has 2900 participants instead of 3000 is that a failure? If the market was so close to saturation that this tipped the balance, why would Challenge show up in an already tapped out market? Why not expand into Asia, Africa, or South America?

TriTrev wrote:
Can WTC change, do they think they need to change ?......a lot of people think they have already jumped the shark, there is certainly more criticism of WTC and their events than ever before.......

Jumped the shark? Are they a low budget tv show or an organization hosting races? I'm glad you've found a little cause to rally against, but frankly it doesn't matter how many losers on the internet like to bitch and moan. Thousands of people are willing to fork over $700 or more for Ironman branded races, Challenge can't say the same thing, at most they might get 1000--even with relays. Challenge doesn't have people criticizing them because no one gives a shit.

TriTrev wrote:
time will tell, but all is not "fine" in the WTC world.....Still have a lot of great events, still have Kona, but this is a corporation that needs to make serious money for its investors, and like most business things can go sour in a real hurry if you lose track of what your customers actually want.

Looks like they have a pretty firm grasp on what customers want and continue to provide it. Also looks like they don't give a shit about winy little bitches that aren't going to participate in their races. If you want wave starts, relays, and someone to hold your hand going up a hill don't bother with Ironman, someone else is willing to take your spot.

So you cannot delete this crap !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll get a better picture of IMC vs Challenge in 2014 and 15 when. Whistler moves to its new date in July. Lots of Canadians like having the whole summer to train outside for a 140.6.

For 2013 if Challenge wants to sell more slots they need to negotiate better accommodation pricing than IMC.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAlbertan: Nov 3, 12 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua-man you sound like an Aqua child........
To me it's not what brand but rather the city and surrounding area that makes the race.
In our case it's "Penticton & Area" that have made IMC; the surroundings & what it has to offer in entertainment, food, amenities & the volunteers that really care that the athlete has a good race.
I speculate WTC recognized this long ago and started homogenizing the IM races.
This effectively removed some of the local flavour & individuality of events, nothing new it's what franchises do.

Penticton has a long history with 140.6 and wanted more than WTC was willing to offer, no big deal really. Rather living a lie why not divorce and move on?

Penticton and area will once again start something new and once more foster an event that many think will never amount to a hill of beans.
The volunteers, race office etc know how to stage a 140.6 and our collective brains were not sucked out with the divorce.

Whistler is a world class place and knows how to stage world class events no doubt it was a great & right choice for the WTC.
With any luck western Canada will have two events that others will be judged by.

Belittling the Challenge is childish at best.

Watching Kona this year I felt saddened that Penticton is no longer part of the IM but Penticton & area will move on and do what we've been doing for three decades.
And just like the Boston or NY Marathons many folks will want to come to Penticton and race an iconic course.

Every corporation has room to improve WTC included. TriTrev had some valid points.
I thought he expressed them in a constructive way.

Last edited by: Ray Canuck: Nov 3, 12 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:
Looks like lots of people signed up for pre-registration based on the number of names on the drop-down list.

I predict a November sell out.

Gosh I hate to unhijack the thread, but now that its well into November, and we still have not had the Sportstats "Its selling out soon" (which generally means in about a week or two), what is the prediction? And what I would like to know from anyone else who DOES sign up from this date forward...in all seriousness...is what took you? Why did you wait? Were you always planning on doing it, but did not see the need to sign up early? Did you suddenly become inspired? Bored? What triggered it?

I think part of the WTC business model has always been to create instantaneous demand. Get people to sign up immediately when emotions run high. If you give people time to think about it, passions cool, and decisions change. This could hurt them on the margins. Not huge, but it could cost some entries. I speak from personal experience. My second and third IM races were definately due to "caught up in the moment" moments. My decision to do no more is based, in part, on rational deliberation, removed from the excitement of the event. I do not go to IM, soI no longer want to do IM. Best way to break an addiction.

So, does IMC sell out at all? If not....what?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it really that big of a deal? You guys are coming off as overly sensitive, imho. 19 of the 27 IMs out outside the US. I'm sorry but what more do you want from such a small sport?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but now that its well into November, and we still have not had the Sportstats "Its selling out soon" (which generally means in about a week or two), what is the prediction? "

Actually we did get that from Sportstats, on Oct 19, back at the top of page 5.

So based on that, I'll stick with my November prediction, although like you I'm curious why someone would have waited until now to sign up, and I don't expect there are many people still waiting...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if me saying that there is something wrong about 1000 usa participant in a 2000-2500ish field for a world championship is overly sensistive...then yes, i m !!!!

:)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad...missed the sportstats 10/19 call.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the OP question, WTC announced that there are 100 general entry slots available for the new Ironman Canada. Based on that I'll say within a week :)

https://twitter.com/...s/265462377137467392

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That will motivate people to make a decision and sell out soon. Selling now will drive others to Challenge maybe not a stampede but a steady trickle until race day.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I would think that most people who can take a shot at Kona would have 2013 planned well in advance and are already signed up for their qualifying race, be it IMC or something else. I do agree though it will sell out soon. Lots of good word of mouth going around.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
That will motivate people to make a decision and sell out soon. Selling now will drive others to Challenge maybe not a stampede but a steady trickle until race day.
_______

Once IMCanada is sold out .... along with IMMT, IMTahoe, IMCDA and any other reasonably accessible IM event .... a few who were born under rocks may stumble into CP.
Why do we have to talk about CP on the IMC thread .... can't CP people post on a CP thread?????

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See page 1-8 lots of banter. Lots of fence sitting around here and I figure lots of folks will pull the trigger later after they see how winter training goes.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the spring it will likely be to late and those sitting on the fence will have to divert to (I'm sorry Dave) CP.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [dstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC says there are only 100 slots left. Kudos to the OP who is clairvoyant!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dstu wrote:
By the spring it will likely be to late and those sitting on the fence will have to divert to (I'm sorry Dave) CP.
_____

No one who waits until spring has ever had much choice ..... what have you been signing up for in the spring????? Well, OK you could do IMStLouis or IMTexas(maybe) .... but not much else unless you really like loneliness in your events ;-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, very little choice in "Ironman" events but CP will not sell out so there's always that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dstu wrote:
I agree, very little choice in "Ironman" events but CP will not sell out so there's always that.

Challenge Penticton = the fat girl at the end of the bar at 2:30AM
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [miner1098] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miner1098 wrote:
dstu wrote:

Douche comment of the evening

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [miner1098] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps people were sitting in the bar waiting for a supermodel to walk in past midnight. As triathletes love to draft to T2, I believe the Ironman Florida supermodel just walked in and a hoard of guys jumped all over each other to be the first to go home with her in under a minute.

Meanwhile, the girls whose qualities are not so superficial are still in the bar (Whistler and Penticton) and no doubt those who go home with them will have very satsifying experiences, while the guys that went with the Ironman Florida supermodel will whine and complain about all the drafting and how high maintenance that choice ended up being.

OK, carry on with this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miner1098 wrote:
dstu wrote:

------

Supermodels tend to just lie there thinking they are so special that they just need to show up while fat chicks do as much as they can to please in order to have them coming back for more..

This has been tried and tested over time...
--
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Nov 5, 12 22:06
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Perhaps people were sitting in the bar waiting for a supermodel to walk in past midnight. As triathletes love to draft to T2, I believe the Ironman Florida supermodel just walked in and a hoard of guys jumped all over each other to be the first to go home with her in under a minute.

Meanwhile, the girls whose qualities are not so superficial are still in the bar (Whistler and Penticton) and no doubt those who go home with them will have very satsifying experiences, while the guys that went with the Ironman Florida supermodel will whine and complain about all the drafting and how high maintenance that choice ended up being.

I was going to say the only thing worth mentioning that the guys who took home the super model would get is a burning sensation when they pee =).

I've never done, or heard much about IMF... why is it so popular? I hear the course is just flat and boring, and that heat must suck. Penticton is a seriously magical place in the summer, and the bike course is one of the best rides out there. Whistler, I'm sure, will have an equal sense of epic-ness about it. What the heck does Florida offer? Aside from great drafting opportunities?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that we a dealing with human nature, many derive self actualization based on validation from others. Key to this is bragging rights and getting praise from peers rather than deriving satisfaction from personal metrics...as such, there are more bragging rights associated with the bagging of the supermodel in the aforementioned bar and there are more bragging rights associated with a fast time with a tow to T2. So, no surprise that guys are jumping all over themselves to grab the supermodel and the IM Florida ticket in under 1 minute.

At least if we got to talk philosophy with Plato or Aristotle, they might converge towards similar conclusions!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I was going to say the only thing worth mentioning that the guys who took home the super model would get is a burning sensation when they pee =).

I've never done, or heard much about IMF... why is it so popular? I hear the course is just flat and boring, and that heat must suck. Penticton is a seriously magical place in the summer, and the bike course is one of the best rides out there. Whistler, I'm sure, will have an equal sense of epic-ness about it. What the heck does Florida offer? Aside from great drafting opportunities?

The reality is for those of us who have moved on .... is that Penticton is only magical in the minds of a few who haven't moved on and those who live there. That's fine by me if you feel that .... but you can see most are showing they don't agree with you.
Hard as it is for WTC haters, they have many fine races that sell out quickly for many reasons ... and always have. IMAZ will sell out quickly in 2 weeks as well .... you need to pay attention to market reality rather than just being derisive of those who don't agree with you.
Let me say again after doing the moved on from IMC course in Penticton many times that it really isn't that special by itself ... NO, Penticton is not magical compared to many other WTC sites and the bike course is just like many others ... frankly many others are better. You really ought to try some of these other races rather than being so one dimensional .... it might be an eye opener for you. I've done IMF twice and I hate drafting .... but its a fun course and has great and inexpensive accomodations... plus it's easy to get to and fun for family.
CP is learning some reality already with a lot more to come .... I have moved on .... you guys need to open your eyes.

Dave
Quote Reply

Prev Next