Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport?
Quote | Reply
What lengths do you go to keep your skin covered? Do you still wear the standard singlet or have you gone to short sleeves and even long-sleeves for additional coverage? Do you put sun screen on multiple times during a race or training ride/run? Just curious to see what people do. I live in MI so this time of the year I look albino. I enjoy having some color to my skin but want to be safe.

Quote | Reply
not enough to put on a shirt, hat, or sun block.
I do feel guilty about it when I get a little burn.
I hate having it ride the sweat into my eyes and mouth or having it on my hands when riding (cant seem to ever get them clean enough).
All excuses, of course.
Nothing is as inconvenient as cancer, I suppose.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about as pale as they come. I just use sunscreen, really strong sunscreen. Neutrogena spray on 50. It is awesome and keeps my pale skin from getting burnt with one application for 5 hour rides I don't wear long sleeves or hats or anything to keep the sun off me. I know some people that go to extremes but what I have been doing works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it very seriously, and use sunscreen rain or shine. No long sleeves, but I wear a cap running.

I have noticed in the hot summer that some sunscreen inhibits sweat cooling. On a hot day, try the super waterproof spray-on on one leg, and Neutragena or Coppertone oil-free on the other. You can feel the temperature difference if you touch your legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since i've had skin cancer I use sunscreen for every workout that I'm doing after ~ 9am. Always on the bike no matter what. Always on the face/hands/arms if going to the pool.

never train in sleeveless jersey, always cycling kit, almost always run with a shirt on.

if I could find a hat I like I'd run in that as well. But to me those hats they give out (headsweats I think) are too hot for running in.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm moderately concerned about it, especially since I'm still young and would like to have longevity in the sport. Also, I don't want to look like a leather lizard lady when I'm 50. I wear short sleeves for most training, but a standard tri kit for racing. I apply sunscreen to the upper body, face, and back of ears/neck for anything over 30 minutes, add sunscreen to the lower body for anything over 3 hours, and re-apply every 2 hours. I use a travel-sized sunscreen that has a roll-on applicator like deodorant, so I don't get it all over my hands. I don't bother with a hat, though; my head gets too hot. I have a headband that I wear sometimes, if it's really hot and I'm worried about sweating sunscreen into my eyes. That's the worst.

I haven't figured out a good way to handle the problem during races, though. My last half IM, I neglected to re-apply in T2 and came out looking like a ginger tomato.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take it pretty seriously. I'm in my late 20s but I have a family history and have already had plenty of stuff cut off of me (all benign thus far thankfully). I wear sunscreen religiously if my workout is outdoors or if I'm racing.

Edit: and I'm really looking forward to Kiwami's long sleeved top.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Apr 12, 15 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 10 basil cell cancers removed in the last 10-12 years. My doc said most of this goes back to my younger years.
I swim with a wetsuit or early in the pool so I don't wear sunscreen for that.
Biking and tris over oly distance I always go with a bike jersey, never sleeveless anymore. On most bike training days I wear DeSoto skincooler long sleeve bace layer under my bike jersey. Always with sunscreen.

Running I always wear a hat and short or long sleeve shirt. Depending on the time of day/distance sunscreen too.

For hiking and surfing hat and sunscreen always.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 15, 15 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [trihardist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't figured out a good way to handle the problem during races, though. My last half IM, I neglected to re-apply in T2 and came out looking like a ginger tomato.
----------
What I do on race day is first thing when I get up, apply my sunscreen. I started doing this years ago for skiing and it works well for tris too.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 13, 15 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunscreen and use of those arm sleeves during biking and most runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it feels good af not being white!!! never had any skin damage from sun !!
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

Please report back to us in 30 years with an update!

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We on the Rev3 staff all got the newer Headsweats trucker hats to start last year off. We loved 'em so much we wound up getting a round made up to sell at retail. I found that they were a great mix of keeping sweat out of my eyes, shade on my neck (I always wear my hat backwards), and being well-ventilated. Can't recommend those enough.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:

I just bought those arm sleeves. Hopefully they are not too hot when temps finally hit mid 80's.

Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos. The reason given is that a person is more likely to use skin protection if they are prone to burn than those who don't burn. Melanin in the skin protects against sunburn but does little to reduce UV damage at the cellular level, leading to dna damage.

To the OP- I should buy stock in sun screen. For training, I try to out before 10 am and after 6 pm, when the sun's rays do less damage. Even then, I'm slathered in spf 30 or more, pick shady routes, and use a hat.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very. I have gone to a short sleeved race kit and, while I believe It is faster, the extra coverage for protection is important. I always wear sunscreen, though I don't stop to reapply during a race. But I am sure to use good stuff that is extremely water resistant when racing. Unless it's insanely hot I always wear a shirt when running and if I don't I make sure to sunscreen up.

I'm 31 years old and my dermatologist just took two moles of because they didn't look right. Biopsies showed one atypical and one severely atypical, so she had to cut out more around the areas to get clean margins. I hope to continue in this sport for a long time, and that will amount to many more hours in the sun. There's no point in taking chances on something like that when there are easy preventative measures that can be taken.

Quote | Reply
I'm still in my early twenties but this is the first season where I've actually thought about sun protection and what I can do to prevent my time outdoors from damaging my skin. I've been wearing long sleeves on my bike/runs as well as sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never bought or owned sunscreen. The only times I've worn it are when volunteers slathered it on, which would be IMTX twice and Gulf Coast Tri 2 or 3 times. I've run shirtless in Texas and Louisiana for over 25 years (I'm 57). I'm white with an average complexion. I've always enjoyed training and racing in hot weather. Just telling it like it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, fellow Michigander. I spent plenty of time in my teens soaking up the sun wearing accelerator (do they even make that anymore?) from May to September, but I've gotten more serious about skin protection as I've gotten older. Plus, I've found I now burn a lot easier. Plus plus, like the poster upthread I am also trying to avoid becoming a lizard lady by age 50.

For training I reapply as necessary. I find that having spray sunscreen on hand just makes my life a lot easier when I try to squeeze in a run between work and dinner time, or halfway through a long training day. Then I can hit the spots on my back exposed by a tank top if it's hot and muggy. For sprints and Olympics I lather up with waterproof sunscreen beforehand and just go -- it lasts 'til I'm done. I've only done one 70.3 but I did lather on lotion sunscreen beforehand, and spray myself in both T1 and T2. It may have cost me a few seconds but I'm not in the running for the podium anyway and I didn't burn one bit even though it was full sun by the end.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The risk of skin cancer from damage from the sun is highly publicised in Australia. Ironman Western Australia and the Busselton 70.3 are sponsored by Sunsmart, the government agency promoting the sun smart message.

In training on the bike I wear arm coolers all the time and leg coolers if the temperature is going to be over 33 C. I put 50+ suncreen on and zinc on my nose and back of my neck. I also wear an ear wrap to stop my ears getting sun burnt. I stop half way through long rides to reapply sun screen. Most of my cycling gear is high vis flouro. I am probably the worlds least "cool" looking cyclist, but at least I am highly visible and do not get sun burnt.

For run training I run early or late to avoid the sun. I wear a hat and 50+ sunscreen and zinc.

For an IM I put on sunscreen in T1, when I stop mid cycle to use the toilet, T2 and mid run. I wear arm coolers on the bike and have a Desoto long sleeve running top for the run.

Skin cancer is a preventable cancer. Look after yourself. Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek & Slide.

http://www.sunsmart.com.au/tools/videos/current-tv-campaigns/slip-slop-slap-seek-slide-sid-seagull.html

Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos. The reason given is that a person is more likely to use skin protection if they are prone to burn than those who don't burn. Melanin in the skin protects against sunburn but does little to reduce UV damage at the cellular level, leading to dna damage.

To the OP- I should buy stock in sun screen. For training, I try to out before 10 am and after 6 pm, when the sun's rays do less damage. Even then, I'm slathered in spf 30 or more, pick shady routes, and use a hat.

sciguy wrote:

Please report back to us in 30 years with an update!

nope.... definitely makes me way less susceptible to skin cancer, never had sunburn or anything either
http://www.cdc.gov/.../statistics/race.htm
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Apr 12, 15 21:51
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how IMWA is sponsored by Sunsmart, and the run is a 10k loop with ~300m of sun protection
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was in the UK, and I had several applications of factor 50 24hr P20 (don't know if you guys get that over in the States) and then I applied aerosol surfers sunblock before the swim and in T1/T2. I had it even worse the year before in Austria, that hottest year they had in 2012. I don't care what you put on, if you are racing long course you are out there with your shoulder blades facing sun-up for ~5hrs. So I'm wearing a sleeved aero tri top for everything from now on, with the added advantage that it is (might be!) more aero.

Last edited by: knighty76: Apr 13, 15 1:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than consistently wearing a hat over my thinning hair, I don't do much from a clothing perspective. I'll wear enough sunscreen to keep from getting burned, but obviously I could do better than that. Ironically the worst burn I've had in the last couple of years was at the Gran Fondo for skin cancer in your signature line.

I was a sailor before getting into triathlon, got way too much sun back in those days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race in either a one piece sleeveless, or singlet (sleeveless) and shorts. If it's hot I'll put some P20 on but I generally don't think about it.

I split my training time pretty evenly between waterproofs, long sleeves (or short sleeves and arm warmers), and short sleeves.
Again, if it's hot I'll throw some sun cream on and try not to think about it.

The UK doesn't get too much "proper" sun though, so the dangers are less here.

Not too much of a concern where I am, but I totally get that it plays on the mind of those from much warmer places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm extremely paranoid about it. I use Nivea kids waterproof factor 50 whenever I'm out. I wear a hat, glasses and usually a collar.

I've no interest in finding out what having it is like and it seems completely daft to me that one would not take precautions when they're readily available, especially given how unpleasant a diagnosis can be.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked about as burnt as you after my last couple of half ironman. But as per another post I recently put up about sleeved Tri tops, Triathlon Australia have now made it legal to wear sleeved Tri tops in the swim where it's a no wetsuit swim. It's only in Australia that I'm aware of. I reckon that's a great move and out to buy a de Soto short sleeve this week. Reckon it's only a period of time before other regions do the same.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
The UK doesn't get too much "proper" sun though, so the dangers are less here.

You can't have raced Outlaw in 2013 then!! Admittedly the hottest day of the year, as it was destiny bound to be after I entered a full distance race on that date. I did the same to Austria the year before, first time they ever had a no wetsuit swim. I seem to have a talent for attracting hot weather based on my race schedule. If you want to know when to holiday in the UK, ask me when I'm next going long.

But I am delighted about the emergence of sleeved aero tri suits!
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that article. I'm not sure where my brain got it's information on that one. Enjoy your skin cancer/ sunburn free life!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unlucky!
Although I bet your wife/family/etc don't mind if they going to watch you :)

I've never raced when it's been super hot, so I'm lucky in that respect so far. But I have been caught out on the odd weekend ride where I set off early when it was cool, only for it to be red hot by 11:00am.

You'll know as well as I do that our summers last about 2 weeks and come from nowhere (except for the inevitable Daily Mail headline), so our pasty arms are always unprepared!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really fair skinned and at 51 have been severely burned many times especially as a kid when the attention toward skin cancer wasn't a common conversation. I started going for a annual checkup a few years ago and the doctor typically sprays random spots, but so far no biopsy needed for anything. But it is a continual thought that something is going to appear. I seem to get sun poisoning much faster now than I did when I was younger as well.

I am not sure how well it really works for protection since being burned is probably not the best indicator, but I can use Coppertone Sport 30+ SPF and it seems to hold up under the sweatiest 5+ hour August ride. This year I may try to wear the arm coolers through the summer and I would like to find something like a lightweight neck collar and may ask my mother-in-law (seamstress) to just make me something. I wear a typical cycling kit for training in the summer training.

The most impactful moment that changed my attitude was seeing an elderly guy at a store that I believed was a victim of sun damage. His nose was gone and portions of both ears. Just seeing the two holes where his nose was missing made my heart sink. It could have been something else that caused that, but it sure made a lifetime impact seeing how he was disfigured.

I always wished I was darker skinned, but I am kind of glad being fair skinned has made me more cautious. I have a friend (former triathlete) who is a naturally darker brown and had a lot of spots removed in surgery. He told me that some of the places he had redone by a plastic surgeon because the scars on his face were not clean by the dermatologist's work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
What lengths do you go to keep your skin covered? Do you still wear the standard singlet or have you gone to short sleeves and even long-sleeves for additional coverage? Do you put sun screen on multiple times during a race or training ride/run? Just curious to see what people do. I live in MI so this time of the year I look albino. I enjoy having some color to my skin but want to be safe.

I don't do enough, but I am way more aware of it now than I have ever been before in my life.

As a kid I was a swimmer and lifeguard, so burning was a daily occurrence that I am sure that I will pay for someday.

Nowadays, I try to avoid getting any burn at all. Usually I will get an unexpected burn early in the season, when I am just not used to being out/uncovered/sunny/etc.

I usually also get one at IM, though sometimes I have been able to avoid it. At Kona, I managed to do OK except for wrists, quads and tramp stamp area. Even doing that well took some above average efforts.

When I ride outdoors on long rides, I try to cover everything but legs and hands (and face of course), even in the heat. Sometimes my neck is out, sometimes my hands are covered. I have found that no product works nearly as well as clothing.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

I just bought those arm sleeves. Hopefully they are not too hot when temps finally hit mid 80's.

I got some of the white arm sleeves when I lived in Hawaii, all rides were in the mid-upper 80's, and they made a big difference, felt noticeably cooler, and no arm sunburn to deal with.

To the OP, I always use sunscreen, usually Neutrogena. When racing anything longer than Oly distance, I reapply in T2, it really only takes a few seconds, and is so much better than dealing with a nasty sunburn for the next week. I am very fair skinned BTW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:

pretty fucking seriously.

wear more clothes in summer than winter (opposite of you guys i guess) so run summer is short sleeved shirts with full chest coverage. winter is sleeveless or just bra. cycling in summer is jersey and winter singlet or sleeveless. in summer only ride/run at lower light (early am or pm). wear rash guard (I only OWS) always in summer and not always in winter. sunscreen each and every time i go out on my face. sunscreen for hour swim. sunscreen on face and arms always unless leaving at 4pm or later on bike. sunscreen if longer than a hour on the bike on legs. i live just below the 20th parallel.

i also can't remember the last time i got a sunburn - many many years ago. i've very brown, however.

in a race i have never burnt from sprint to IM and just apply sunscreen before the swim but i am totally covered - no sleeveless unless it is cold or after the sun goes down (IM). i also wear a hat ALWAYS, even just going to the line to hang up laundry.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Apr 13, 15 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had stage 3 melanoma, which means it found my way to the lymph note. Another words, that will probably be what eventually takes me out of this world. Fortunately, everything has been clear on CT scans for the last 3 years, but there is still no cure.

I train when it's dark, or under the shade of trees. If I am in the sun, it's long sleeves and lot's of sunscreen. We live in Florida, so we average spending $8-$10 a week on sunscreen. Within the next year or two, we are leaving Florida, being that the conditions are not good for someone in my situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to pretty great lengths at this point. Long sleeve when training outdoors, aiming usually for morning/evening. SPF 50 sunscreen when outside in the sun. Racing, I've moved to the PI Octane mostly for coverage (b/c I'm not fast enough for the free speed to matter), and I'm happy to say it works. I wish it had a LS option. Still have issues with sunscreen not lasting on face/neck/legs/arms during the bike and run due to sweat. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking this topic more seriously now.... My wife insisted that I have a skin check. well, 4 biopsies later, 1 mole is on watch, and the 3 others are scheduled for removal in May. The skin check was performed in late February and results returned mid March. The first available time for removal was end of April, but I elected to wait a couple of extra weeks so I can enjoy the family vacation (Disney Cruise) without worry of infection at the sites due to swimming (and of course the first race of the year is next weekend - so early April was out). They did not see them as immediate danger, but sufficient grounds for removal had been made, and as long as I had them removed within 6 months, they were happy.

I saw one person indicate the PI Octane top.

What other options are there for race kits that are long sleeve?

I have a recommended sunscreen from the dermatologist, but does anyone here have a preference from experience - one that allows cooling but still provides adequate protection? I am competing in OLY distances, so, a single application should manage through the bulk of the race, provided waterproof properties are strong enough.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blue Lizard is a great brand to use and recommend by my dermo. Not cheap but we are talking about preventing melanoma so I say it is worth the bills.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobragolf79 wrote:
Blue Lizard is a great brand to use and recommend by my dermo. Not cheap but we are talking about preventing melanoma so I say it is worth the bills.

Same stuff that was recommended to me. I did not find the price too high as it is completely beneficial and if it keeps you in the sport longer, and out of the doctors offices - money well spent.

How does it react post swim? does it warrant a new application at T1?

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything warrants a new application unfortunately. If your not applying every 3-4 hours your getting burned. Wetsuits take some of your lotion off too so it is a constant battle no matter how expensive or the claims to be a sport sunblock. I am not a dermo but when I follow that rule of thumb I come out on the better end exposure wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm medium complexion and am a moley body so I look after my spots. 58yo and no issues yet. I settled on SPF 30 Sport (Banana boat/Life Brand etc) Spray. My derm gave me SPF 50 and I just cooked from the inside out. I spray it on before putting on the wetsuit and its usually good for the day. In Kona I put it on in T1. Always put some on your lower back above your shorts. For training I wear no sleeve bike jerseys and tanks for running, just spray it on but I wear liquid SPF 30 on my face and gob it on my nose and ears and always wear a hat and sunglasses. For races like Musselman and Lake Placid its hot and humid and the 30 seems to work very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The PI octane is still short sleeves. Many of the new aerosuits have sleeves on them (short):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=aerosuit;#5417199

Long sleeves are pretty much arm coolers (Desoto), and Kona Wings. And IIRC they aren't SPF 30, but someone probably has the #s; so I'd put some Blue Lizard on first.

I actually find the chemical+physical blocks work best. And for me one application isn't enough even for the OLY. Between the water & wetsuit and an hour+ on the bike, alot of the block is gone so I try to reapply at T2. Grab a small tube and apply on the run.

-J

Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take it extremely seriously. I still get burned from time to time, mostly where cycle sleeve meets the arm and sometimes on my lower back, though I am better now about remembering to sunscreen that area. Whenever I go on a group ride I always toss my sunscreen at my training partners, whether they want it or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not as diligent as I should be. I will relay a point I read in Science magazine recently- recent research has revealed the importance of sunscreen application up to the moment that sun exposure ceases. The reason for this is that the cell multiplication/damage that occurs from sun exposure continues for a period of time even after exposure ends- I think it was 30 minutes or more. So it is important to ensure that the 4 hour sunscreen you wear when on a 5 hour bike ride is reapplied sometime before the end of the ride.

It is really common sense that the damage would continue but reading it in Science made it make more "real" sense.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the cancer risk doesn't scare you than vanity ought to (sun prematurely ages your skin.) I'm fair skinned and freckled which I means I start to burn within 20-30 minutes. Strong sunscreen is a necessity for my long bike rides in SoCal. These are my two favorite sunscreens for my neck/face. They have very high UVA protection which prevents aging of the skin and are photo stable meaning they don't break down from exposure to sunlight. I wear sun sleeves on my arms 90% of the time. Don't forget to protect your lips and top of your head. I still can't believe in 2015 how many endurance athletes can have such a cavalier attitude about sun exposure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good read about Melanoma, by American Olympic swimmer, Summer Sanders:
https://medium.com/...-to-you-89323b3b31a0

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: Apr 13, 15 17:31
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had every brand of skin cancer they make. Lucked out catching the Melanoma early.

Even with all the precautions, get checked closely every year, if not every 6 months. Melanoma is sometimes no more than a freckle. The sun is killer these days. No joke. There's a Melanoma epidemic in Australia.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Here's a good read about Melanoma, by American Olympic swimmer, Summer Sanders:
https://medium.com/...-to-you-89323b3b31a0

Wow! thanks for that. i have been meaning to make a derm apt forever and am going to call right now. okay hubbie and i have apts for Saturday at 930 and 10am. We could have gone on Thursday but this way it is easier. Thank you!

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Apr 14, 15 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Basal Cell Carcinoma removed from top of scalp 5 years ago (49yo). Predictably, the only place I neglected sunscreen over course of adulthood. Three different derm docs state BCC not a real problem if excised early; however, BCC are direct indication of sufficient UV exposure to watch for Melanoma. Now I don't miss a derm appt. (every 6 mos.) Derm doc and I ride together too. Cool guy!

For the past 5 years - outdoor swim/run complete before 9AM, or start after 6PM. Swim Cap.
Hat for everything winter,spring,summer,fall for anything longer than a walk across a parking lot. Wide brim hat for golf/yard work.
Arm sleeves and sometimes knees too for 10AM-4PM group rides.
Headsweat bandana (UPF 20) under bike helmet.

I use variety of SPF 30/50 sunscreens, but prefer Trader Joe's SPF 30 as general precaution. When I know sun danger is certain, I use Sawyer "Stay Put" SPF 50 found at REI. Goes on heavy, absorbs well.
Takes a wash cloth scrub to remove even after 2-3 hrs. of sun training. I love the fact that I can scrape it off with fingernails in the shower. "Stay Put" has veracity!

I also have/use UV index site on phone that's pretty cool too.... (uvawareness.com) Type in zip code, and watch sun danger pattern move throughout your day.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had malignant melanoma at age 40. Very lucky to catch it early. Grew up in FL playing tennis, way too much exposure as a teen. My standard routine for training is Blue Lizard every 2-3 hours on exposed areas. I still train in sleeveless tri tops. When kicking around and going to be in the sun, it's long sleeves and pants with a hat, even in the heat of the summer. Lots of companies now making UV protective clothing that is light and comfy.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [vomer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses and the Blue Lizard recommendation. I may also schedule a derm appointment. It's been 20+ years since I was in a derm office.

Quote | Reply
I've had close friends and athletes have stuff carved out of them as well as a sunbathing momma from the 70s have stuff carved out too. I had my moments of "enh, i'll be fine" for a couple years while racing professionally, but now i'm terrified to go out without screened up. Looking at friends that have continued to go without they have aged sooooooo fast in just a few years from the sun damage. While i'm not pale by any means i much prefer pale to tan nowadays.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was younger, I did not take the skin cancer threat seriously at all. However, I am now 6 years removed from surgery to remove melanoma from my left calf and I take it very seriously. I apply sunblock before training and re-apply on longer training days. I have also been very happy with the DeSoto skin cooler arm sleeves and leg sleeves. Combined with sunblock they offer good sun protection and they really do work to keep you cooler on hot days, especially if you wet them.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG that is THE COOLEST site on the interwebs! Thank you!!!

at the bottom there is information and advice for teh numbers. LOVE IT! (although I just got out of the water, prime time...)

Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about if you train after 5pm? Would you still put on sunscreen? Someone had told me since the sun is not as strong 5pm on up he doesn't bother (here in Montreal). I kind of just went with that as well. The season is starting again so I might have to reevaluate.

From time to time I'll run at lunch (45 minute run) but since I'm at work and have to get changed back into work clothes I don't put sunscreen. :(
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had SO MUCH fun with that website! :) i tried a few towns in eastern Brazil, western Peru, Ecuador, Oz, Singapore, Manila (PH), and found the biggest bang of continuous extreme temperature is in neastern and ncentral honduras. i got 4 bars of extreme (hitting 14 to 15). So much fun! :) thanks again.

Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [SpecializedMok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpecializedMok wrote:
What about if you train after 5pm? Would you still put on sunscreen? Someone had told me since the sun is not as strong 5pm on up he doesn't bother (here in Montreal). I kind of just went with that as well. The season is starting again so I might have to reevaluate.

From time to time I'll run at lunch (45 minute run) but since I'm at work and have to get changed back into work clothes I don't put sunscreen. :(

The problem is that while UVB exposure peaks around the middle of the day it is now understood that UVA exposure it pretty much constant throughout the day. Actually, UVA exposure can be worse early/late because as the sun is near the horizon it's like standing in front of a flood light. However, early/late in the day you get more shade so it depends on the activity and your local conditions. Think of sun exposure as cumulative over a lifetime. Those 45 minute runs at lunch w/o sunscreen will add up. The only time I don't wear sunscreen is if the sun is below the horizon when I head out (in the PM, I'm not a morning person.)
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
SpecializedMok wrote:

The problem is that while UVB exposure peaks around the middle of the day it is now understood that UVA exposure it pretty much constant throughout the day. Actually, UVA exposure can be worse early/late because as the sun is near the horizon it's like standing in front of a flood light. However, early/late in the day you get more shade so it depends on the activity and your local conditions. Think of sun exposure as cumulative over a lifetime. Those 45 minute runs at lunch w/o sunscreen will add up. The only time I don't wear sunscreen is if the sun is below the horizon when I head out (in the PM, I'm not a morning person.)

*SIGH* Thanks. I kind of knew that was the answer. So if I train in the evening 5pm on up or even if I take my kids to the park after work I'll put sunscreen...
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [SpecializedMok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from that super fun website referenced above (have you looked at it yet? the question of when would be covered there as it differs daily)

"UVA[/url]
At the surface of the Earth roughly 95% of solar UV radiation is comprised of UVA, which has a wavelength of 315-400 nm. UVA penetrates deeper into the skin than UVB, and exposure to high doses of UVA can cause indirect DNA damage, age your skin, cause skin cancer and damages your eyes. UVA does not cause sunburn, and since SPF only indicates a level of protection against sunburn, it is important to use broad spectrum sun lotions, which will offer protection against both UVA and UVB.
Sunbeds give off mainly UVA radiation, and have been classified as carcinogenic in some countries, with minors being banned from using them.
UVB[/url]
UVB radiation does not enter as deeply into the skin as UVA, and is mostly absorbed by the outermost layer of the skin (the epidermis). UVB is more likely to cause sunburns and is primarily responsible for causing skin cancer. UVB is associated with the development of malignant melanoma, which can be fatal if left undiagnosed and untreated.
Approximately 90% of UVB radiation is absorbed by ozone, water vapor, oxygen and carbon dioxide. However, as ozone is the main absorber of UVB radiation, the UVB intensity at the Earths surface depends strongly on the total amount of ozone in the atmosphere, and thus on the thickness of the ozone layer. UVB has a wavelength between 280-315 nm.
UVC[/url]
UVC is the most damaging of all three types of UV radiation but is removed by the ozone layer, so it does not reach the Earth's surface. However, continued damage to the ozone layer by CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) and halon gases may allow UVC radiation to reach the Earths surface.
This is a a potential problem in Australia as the Ozone layer there can be relatively thin. UVC has a wavelength between 100-280 nm."

and... from http://www.uvawareness.com/...ngth.php#uv_strength

and more...http://www.skincancer.org/...standing-uva-and-uvb

you may notice teh chart at teh bottom of the last link - zinc oxide blocks all 3 and is the primary ingredient in diaper rash cream (likely you all in teh US and Canada can get it as just zinc cream) but super cheap and one of the most effective UV blocks.

http://www.smartskincare.com/...lock_zinc-oxide.html

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Apr 15, 15 15:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpecializedMok wrote:
Dunbar wrote:
SpecializedMok wrote:

*SIGH* Thanks. I kind of knew that was the answer. So if I train in the evening 5pm on up or even if I take my kids to the park after work I'll put sunscreen...

^^^^This.

Since it's lifetime exposure that matters, skin cancer is much more about what you do in training. Race day is more about avoiding a nasty burn.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in the cancer capital globally (Queensland Australia), its factor 30 on all rides over an hour...
it also features in the number of cancer related charity events i get involved in..

you take it even more seriously when your best mate gets lymphatic and renal cancer... all from melanoma

so in short... seriously....
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
SpecializedMok wrote:

??Really??...I'm 47 and cautious -for the most part- but I have never heard it recommended by health experts that one needs to wear sunscreen before 9am or after 5pm during the summer up here in the North?

Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
??Really??...I'm 47 and cautious -for the most part- but I have never heard it recommended by health experts that one needs to wear sunscreen before 9am or after 5pm during the summer up here in the North?

You likely won't get a sunburn (which comes from UVB) but you can get plenty of UVA exposure as long as you are in direct sunlight even if the sun is low on the horizon. I don't think a dermatologist would give somebody the green light to skip sunscreen if they're exercising outside unless it's shaded. Dermatologists want us wearing sunscreen just for daily incidental exposure (walking to/from your car, the train etc.) Also, those times are overly general. In Michigan it doesn't get dark until 9pm in June/July.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Apr 15, 15 20:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in NZ, skin cancer without consistent use of sunscreen is not quite a cast iron guarantee, but it's not far off it....and often even with consistent use. I haven't been as careful this year as I should have been, but I've got arm screens ready for next summer. Outdoor swimming might well also be done in a tri suit from now on too. A guy I ride with sometimes has had so many things chopped out he rides covered top to toe year round, long fingered gloves in summer included. We're paranoid about it here and rightly so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very seriously. Just scheduled my 4th MOH's surgery. I am 51. Others on face and lips, and this one on neck. Nothing to mess around with, but knock on wood, all basal and squamous, but no melanoma yet, thank goodness. Go to dermatologist every 4 months for full body scan for cancers.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was searching for sun blocking creams/clothing when I came across this old thread. I wasn't a believer in the melanoma scare and never wore sunscreen. Well, I'm a believer now. Hope these pictures help others become one without having to be diagnosed. The small spot on my calf was about the size of a pencil eraser. The first pic is the biopsy and the second is the excision. Fortunately for me it was only a Stage 1. This thread should be a sticky for all to see and read.

Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I take skin cancer very seriously. If I'm outside for more than 15 min, I put on sunscreen and wear a hat. I'm a redhead, with a family history of cancer (not just skin cancer), and a three year survivor (hodgkin's lymphoma). I'm probably at the extreme end of the spectrum though. Everything wants to kill me apparently :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty seriously. I apply once The temp gets over 50, and reapply every two hours. Before and after a race. I'm not one to burn but I figure we spend a lot of time outside so it's cumulative over time.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always found it kind of peculiar that cyclists use tan-lines as a badge of honor of some sort.

If I'm out and it is daytime, I'm putting sunscreen on. When I was still running I usually planned my runs early morning or late evening to minimize exposure. Now that I'm just cycling I'm really only outside on the weekends and sunscreen is an auto-include for any of my rides.

edit:
Jloewe wrote:
I'm not one to burn but I figure we spend a lot of time outside so it's cumulative over time.

This describes me as well.
Last edited by: racehd: May 9, 17 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a spot removed from my nose. I take it very serious now. Always keep sunscreen in my race bag. Cancer killed both of my parents, hate the f&$:ing disease. Take it all serious, even basal.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting place to get cancer from the sun. I usually think of it being more prevalent on the head and upper body. For me it's not a case of if I'll get it it's a case of when I get it. I have the same skin type as my grandparents and they had so much removed that they kept the dermatologist really busy. Lucky for them it was always Basal or Squamous cell.

I always slather on the sunblock as soon as it's warm enough to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this sunscreen made by two pro triathletes:

http://www.enduranceshield.com/sunscreen

It is expensive, but not full of junk, feels good, smells good, and works well.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 53 and with skin so fair that it will burn under a full moon :-), I had my first precancerous spot treated on my head last summer with liquid nitrogen. I've been taking it serious for a while, but I am still not totally consistent in protecting at all times. Training I am fairly consistent. Where I am not consistent is stepping outside to do yard work with the thought that I will just be there for a moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the kind of zombie thread I approve of!

I'm half Polish, and the rest is a mix of Scottish, Irish and English, so I'm fairly doomed to get skin cancer at some point during my life. For short stuff I slather up in Blue Lizzard (and have had great results), for longer rides/full IM stuff I'll do my best to coat myself head-to-toe in anything with a decent UPF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a current cancer patient (not skin cancer, plasma myeloma), take any type of cancer threat seriously. Really. Really. Seriously. The treatment is not fun, at all. Chemo sucks, end of line.

My particular brand of cancer, along with my fitness level (I ran 100 miles the month before my diagnosis), gives me a better than 90% chance of long term survival after chemo/stem cell replacement treatments, but that journey is not for the faint of heart. I was hoping to be able to keep up some activities like swimming and biking when I was diagnosed, but so far the best I can hope for is very light activities (walking, short rides), during the breaks and early chemo cycle periods, but after a week of chemo everything goes downhill quickly and just walking up stairs can be a challenge.

Take this disease seriously or it will hand you your sit on the couch in pain card when you would rather be out training. The only thing worse than being out on a long slogging run is to see someone else on that run when you are not physically able to get out of your car without moaning in pain.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IM W Aus in 2014. Awesome race. Best Ironman race I've done. Loved Busso, loved the race, loved the Aussies.
However, what I found was weird was although sunsmart are the sponsors, I couldn't find any sunsmart lotion at the expo. No stand or anything. In fact, I had to go to a chemist in Busso to get a small sun lotion tube to carry with me on the bike. Just found it a bit odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had basal cell carcinoma unrelated to sun exposure although I do have a ton of sun damage to my arms and legs, but no sun damage to where my cancer was cut out. It's also going to be recurring through life so.....yeah me!

I go through 8-10 bottles of sun creme per year. Mix of TiO2 and regular. Sunscreen is a daily habit

Hat when running almost year round, still looking for the ultimate running hat but nothing on the market is as well ventilated as I'd like nor is the bill as wide/long. Maybe I'll branch into hat design for a 3rd business.

Typically run in a short sleeve shirt here in Tucson and shirtless in the summer when I run in NC. The summer sun in NC is ~ = to the intensity of winter sun in Tucson plus more shade in NC. I also know I can spend about 1:15 here in the sun before burning during that Feb-may and 3-3.5h in NC in the summer before burning in May-Sept.

more and more of my cycling jerseys have longer arm sleeves and I don't wear sleeveless. I typically race in a Kiwami Spider Aero LD suit which has sleeves. As much as I hate tall socks bc they are lame, I now own 2 pair & am looking to double that. But seriously, they are so lame

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe New Zealand has the dubious honour of recently having surpassed Australia as the skin cancer capital of the world. Skin cancer is A) very common here B) lotsa TV adds about it C) in the minds of most people, not just tirathletes.

I take all reasonable precautions when training or indeed, just being outside. I haven't worn a singlet in years. I wear T-Shirt type tops. I lather up with sunscreen every ride or run over 30, minutes (or 15 minutes if it's between 10 and 2pm) I wear hats and wear UV protecting sunnies as well.

I have a good life and I want to keep it going for a while yet. Based on the truly miserable melanoma deaths a couple of friends suffered through, I have no intention of joining them.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
I did IM W Aus in 2014. Awesome race. Best Ironman race I've done. Loved Busso, loved the race, loved the Aussies.
However, what I found was weird was although sunsmart are the sponsors, I couldn't find any sunsmart lotion at the expo. No stand or anything. In fact, I had to go to a chemist in Busso to get a small sun lotion tube to carry with me on the bike. Just found it a bit odd.

Sunsmart normally have a big tent with plenty of sunscreen for people to use. At the Busso 70.3 they were handing out water bottles that change colour depending on the UV level. As you say there is no where to buy sunscreen at the expo though. Sunsmart is a government department and do not make or sell sunscreen, however they could encourage one of the expo stands to sell it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having lived in San Diego then Phoenix for the past 7 years i've had skin surgery a few times. They recommended Blue Lizard Sunblock. Its expensive but I buy a gallon at a time for $200. Also I've paid $1500 for surgery which is a lot more than sunscreen costs. As a bike commuter, physical education teacher, and triathlete I go through a lot. It is thick because it has zinc but doesn't feel as oily as some sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [gnarshredderSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the prevalence of skin cancer in our sport how hard would it be for Garmin or some other company to add a UV metric to their watches? Would be way cool to be able to set a alert on your watch when exposed to a harmful level of UV. Also would be nice to be able to track total exposure on Strava or Garmin. Would this be possible and a price point that would not be prohibitive?
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ignore it in your youth you may live to regret it in your latter years (if you make it that far).

It may look dorkish but when I go for long rides in summer I attach a plastic nose guard to my sunglasses, wear a flap to protect my neck and try to wear long sleeves if it is not too hot. Natually, this is in addition to sunscreen. I also wear a legionnaires cap when running in summer.

Too many riders are concerned about how they look on the bike. They should be more worried about how they are going to look when they are 60+ years of age.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos.

On skin cancer (all causes, not just sun), black people have it much less than white people.

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/race.htm

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racism..that]s not so cool, but I just have a little question:

Do you want to live forever?

Well, You can't!!

The scare crows of the American Conspiracy Society of Dermatology make sure their members are high and dry.
Their members sure get something out of the society membership fees.
Scare tactics.
Most (!) people (even fair skinned) don't have to worry about dying from skin cancer, something else will get them first!

jt10000 wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos.

On skin cancer (all causes, not just sun), black people have it much less than white people.

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/race.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
With the prevalence of skin cancer in our sport how hard would it be for Garmin or some other company to add a UV metric to their watches? Would be way cool to be able to set a alert on your watch when exposed to a harmful level of UV. Also would be nice to be able to track total exposure on Strava or Garmin. Would this be possible and a price point that would not be prohibitive?

There is a Garmin IQ widget called UV Index. It uses your GPS location and Internet connection to display the current UV index and the predicted max UV index for the day. I am going to download it and try it out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Sweden, so for most of the year I'll be covered due to the temperature rather than to avoid a sunburn. Come spring/summer, I'll get a tan, but seldom a burn.

However, does a (natural) tan increase the risk of cancer? I've always ben wold that a tan without a burn will protect you from getting a sunburn, and it's when you get burned that you increase the risk of cancer. I tried to google, but most articles I found seemed to focus on sunburn or artificial tans. Can someone give me the 101?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The infamous Outlaw 2013. Hotter than the sun apparently.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought about it until i got cancer. Then i did. Two surgeries later the squamous cell in my lip was removed.

So please put on SPF with UVA & UVV protection lip balm.

http://rhysspencer.blogspot.ca

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having had multiple Mohs surgeries I take it pretty seriously. Last one involved plastic surgery. Supposed to be a small spot near my eye. I knew I was in trouble when it was done and the nurse said close your eye so I can put a bandage on. Tried closing it and said wait a minute I'm having trouble, I can see your hand still. I was then informed they removed a third of my eyelid. Yeah

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to thank you for this post, I had been meaning to get in for a skin cancer screening for a few years now and it's just slipped by. This post spurred me to get it done.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I'm in Sweden, so for most of the year I'll be covered due to the temperature rather than to avoid a sunburn. Come spring/summer, I'll get a tan, but seldom a burn.

However, does a (natural) tan increase the risk of cancer? I've always ben wold that a tan without a burn will protect you from getting a sunburn, and it's when you get burned that you increase the risk of cancer. I tried to google, but most articles I found seemed to focus on sunburn or artificial tans. Can someone give me the 101?

http://www.skincancer.org/...an-ever-a-good-thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For everyone relying on 50+ SPV all day, you should read this and the studies it links to: http://www.cnn.com/...uidelines/index.html

Also, watch out for sunscreens containing oxybenzone.
Quote Reply