Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport?
Quote | Reply
What lengths do you go to keep your skin covered? Do you still wear the standard singlet or have you gone to short sleeves and even long-sleeves for additional coverage? Do you put sun screen on multiple times during a race or training ride/run? Just curious to see what people do. I live in MI so this time of the year I look albino. I enjoy having some color to my skin but want to be safe.

Quote | Reply
not enough to put on a shirt, hat, or sun block.
I do feel guilty about it when I get a little burn.
I hate having it ride the sweat into my eyes and mouth or having it on my hands when riding (cant seem to ever get them clean enough).
All excuses, of course.
Nothing is as inconvenient as cancer, I suppose.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about as pale as they come. I just use sunscreen, really strong sunscreen. Neutrogena spray on 50. It is awesome and keeps my pale skin from getting burnt with one application for 5 hour rides I don't wear long sleeves or hats or anything to keep the sun off me. I know some people that go to extremes but what I have been doing works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it very seriously, and use sunscreen rain or shine. No long sleeves, but I wear a cap running.

I have noticed in the hot summer that some sunscreen inhibits sweat cooling. On a hot day, try the super waterproof spray-on on one leg, and Neutragena or Coppertone oil-free on the other. You can feel the temperature difference if you touch your legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since i've had skin cancer I use sunscreen for every workout that I'm doing after ~ 9am. Always on the bike no matter what. Always on the face/hands/arms if going to the pool.

never train in sleeveless jersey, always cycling kit, almost always run with a shirt on.

if I could find a hat I like I'd run in that as well. But to me those hats they give out (headsweats I think) are too hot for running in.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm moderately concerned about it, especially since I'm still young and would like to have longevity in the sport. Also, I don't want to look like a leather lizard lady when I'm 50. I wear short sleeves for most training, but a standard tri kit for racing. I apply sunscreen to the upper body, face, and back of ears/neck for anything over 30 minutes, add sunscreen to the lower body for anything over 3 hours, and re-apply every 2 hours. I use a travel-sized sunscreen that has a roll-on applicator like deodorant, so I don't get it all over my hands. I don't bother with a hat, though; my head gets too hot. I have a headband that I wear sometimes, if it's really hot and I'm worried about sweating sunscreen into my eyes. That's the worst.

I haven't figured out a good way to handle the problem during races, though. My last half IM, I neglected to re-apply in T2 and came out looking like a ginger tomato.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take it pretty seriously. I'm in my late 20s but I have a family history and have already had plenty of stuff cut off of me (all benign thus far thankfully). I wear sunscreen religiously if my workout is outdoors or if I'm racing.

Edit: and I'm really looking forward to Kiwami's long sleeved top.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Apr 12, 15 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 10 basil cell cancers removed in the last 10-12 years. My doc said most of this goes back to my younger years.
I swim with a wetsuit or early in the pool so I don't wear sunscreen for that.
Biking and tris over oly distance I always go with a bike jersey, never sleeveless anymore. On most bike training days I wear DeSoto skincooler long sleeve bace layer under my bike jersey. Always with sunscreen.

Running I always wear a hat and short or long sleeve shirt. Depending on the time of day/distance sunscreen too.

For hiking and surfing hat and sunscreen always.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 15, 15 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [trihardist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't figured out a good way to handle the problem during races, though. My last half IM, I neglected to re-apply in T2 and came out looking like a ginger tomato.
----------
What I do on race day is first thing when I get up, apply my sunscreen. I started doing this years ago for skiing and it works well for tris too.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 13, 15 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunscreen and use of those arm sleeves during biking and most runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it feels good af not being white!!! never had any skin damage from sun !!
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

Please report back to us in 30 years with an update!

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We on the Rev3 staff all got the newer Headsweats trucker hats to start last year off. We loved 'em so much we wound up getting a round made up to sell at retail. I found that they were a great mix of keeping sweat out of my eyes, shade on my neck (I always wear my hat backwards), and being well-ventilated. Can't recommend those enough.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Sunscreen and use of those arm sleeves during biking and most runs.

I just bought those arm sleeves. Hopefully they are not too hot when temps finally hit mid 80's.

Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos. The reason given is that a person is more likely to use skin protection if they are prone to burn than those who don't burn. Melanin in the skin protects against sunburn but does little to reduce UV damage at the cellular level, leading to dna damage.

To the OP- I should buy stock in sun screen. For training, I try to out before 10 am and after 6 pm, when the sun's rays do less damage. Even then, I'm slathered in spf 30 or more, pick shady routes, and use a hat.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very. I have gone to a short sleeved race kit and, while I believe It is faster, the extra coverage for protection is important. I always wear sunscreen, though I don't stop to reapply during a race. But I am sure to use good stuff that is extremely water resistant when racing. Unless it's insanely hot I always wear a shirt when running and if I don't I make sure to sunscreen up.

I'm 31 years old and my dermatologist just took two moles of because they didn't look right. Biopsies showed one atypical and one severely atypical, so she had to cut out more around the areas to get clean margins. I hope to continue in this sport for a long time, and that will amount to many more hours in the sun. There's no point in taking chances on something like that when there are easy preventative measures that can be taken.

Quote | Reply
I'm still in my early twenties but this is the first season where I've actually thought about sun protection and what I can do to prevent my time outdoors from damaging my skin. I've been wearing long sleeves on my bike/runs as well as sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never bought or owned sunscreen. The only times I've worn it are when volunteers slathered it on, which would be IMTX twice and Gulf Coast Tri 2 or 3 times. I've run shirtless in Texas and Louisiana for over 25 years (I'm 57). I'm white with an average complexion. I've always enjoyed training and racing in hot weather. Just telling it like it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, fellow Michigander. I spent plenty of time in my teens soaking up the sun wearing accelerator (do they even make that anymore?) from May to September, but I've gotten more serious about skin protection as I've gotten older. Plus, I've found I now burn a lot easier. Plus plus, like the poster upthread I am also trying to avoid becoming a lizard lady by age 50.

For training I reapply as necessary. I find that having spray sunscreen on hand just makes my life a lot easier when I try to squeeze in a run between work and dinner time, or halfway through a long training day. Then I can hit the spots on my back exposed by a tank top if it's hot and muggy. For sprints and Olympics I lather up with waterproof sunscreen beforehand and just go -- it lasts 'til I'm done. I've only done one 70.3 but I did lather on lotion sunscreen beforehand, and spray myself in both T1 and T2. It may have cost me a few seconds but I'm not in the running for the podium anyway and I didn't burn one bit even though it was full sun by the end.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The risk of skin cancer from damage from the sun is highly publicised in Australia. Ironman Western Australia and the Busselton 70.3 are sponsored by Sunsmart, the government agency promoting the sun smart message.

In training on the bike I wear arm coolers all the time and leg coolers if the temperature is going to be over 33 C. I put 50+ suncreen on and zinc on my nose and back of my neck. I also wear an ear wrap to stop my ears getting sun burnt. I stop half way through long rides to reapply sun screen. Most of my cycling gear is high vis flouro. I am probably the worlds least "cool" looking cyclist, but at least I am highly visible and do not get sun burnt.

For run training I run early or late to avoid the sun. I wear a hat and 50+ sunscreen and zinc.

For an IM I put on sunscreen in T1, when I stop mid cycle to use the toilet, T2 and mid run. I wear arm coolers on the bike and have a Desoto long sleeve running top for the run.

Skin cancer is a preventable cancer. Look after yourself. Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek & Slide.

http://www.sunsmart.com.au/tools/videos/current-tv-campaigns/slip-slop-slap-seek-slide-sid-seagull.html

Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos. The reason given is that a person is more likely to use skin protection if they are prone to burn than those who don't burn. Melanin in the skin protects against sunburn but does little to reduce UV damage at the cellular level, leading to dna damage.

To the OP- I should buy stock in sun screen. For training, I try to out before 10 am and after 6 pm, when the sun's rays do less damage. Even then, I'm slathered in spf 30 or more, pick shady routes, and use a hat.

sciguy wrote:

Please report back to us in 30 years with an update!

nope.... definitely makes me way less susceptible to skin cancer, never had sunburn or anything either
http://www.cdc.gov/.../statistics/race.htm
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Apr 12, 15 21:51
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how IMWA is sponsored by Sunsmart, and the run is a 10k loop with ~300m of sun protection
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was in the UK, and I had several applications of factor 50 24hr P20 (don't know if you guys get that over in the States) and then I applied aerosol surfers sunblock before the swim and in T1/T2. I had it even worse the year before in Austria, that hottest year they had in 2012. I don't care what you put on, if you are racing long course you are out there with your shoulder blades facing sun-up for ~5hrs. So I'm wearing a sleeved aero tri top for everything from now on, with the added advantage that it is (might be!) more aero.

Last edited by: knighty76: Apr 13, 15 1:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than consistently wearing a hat over my thinning hair, I don't do much from a clothing perspective. I'll wear enough sunscreen to keep from getting burned, but obviously I could do better than that. Ironically the worst burn I've had in the last couple of years was at the Gran Fondo for skin cancer in your signature line.

I was a sailor before getting into triathlon, got way too much sun back in those days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race in either a one piece sleeveless, or singlet (sleeveless) and shorts. If it's hot I'll put some P20 on but I generally don't think about it.

I split my training time pretty evenly between waterproofs, long sleeves (or short sleeves and arm warmers), and short sleeves.
Again, if it's hot I'll throw some sun cream on and try not to think about it.

The UK doesn't get too much "proper" sun though, so the dangers are less here.

Not too much of a concern where I am, but I totally get that it plays on the mind of those from much warmer places.
Quote Reply

Prev Next