Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IM W Aus in 2014. Awesome race. Best Ironman race I've done. Loved Busso, loved the race, loved the Aussies.
However, what I found was weird was although sunsmart are the sponsors, I couldn't find any sunsmart lotion at the expo. No stand or anything. In fact, I had to go to a chemist in Busso to get a small sun lotion tube to carry with me on the bike. Just found it a bit odd.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had basal cell carcinoma unrelated to sun exposure although I do have a ton of sun damage to my arms and legs, but no sun damage to where my cancer was cut out. It's also going to be recurring through life so.....yeah me!

I go through 8-10 bottles of sun creme per year. Mix of TiO2 and regular. Sunscreen is a daily habit

Hat when running almost year round, still looking for the ultimate running hat but nothing on the market is as well ventilated as I'd like nor is the bill as wide/long. Maybe I'll branch into hat design for a 3rd business.

Typically run in a short sleeve shirt here in Tucson and shirtless in the summer when I run in NC. The summer sun in NC is ~ = to the intensity of winter sun in Tucson plus more shade in NC. I also know I can spend about 1:15 here in the sun before burning during that Feb-may and 3-3.5h in NC in the summer before burning in May-Sept.

more and more of my cycling jerseys have longer arm sleeves and I don't wear sleeveless. I typically race in a Kiwami Spider Aero LD suit which has sleeves. As much as I hate tall socks bc they are lame, I now own 2 pair & am looking to double that. But seriously, they are so lame

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe New Zealand has the dubious honour of recently having surpassed Australia as the skin cancer capital of the world. Skin cancer is A) very common here B) lotsa TV adds about it C) in the minds of most people, not just tirathletes.

I take all reasonable precautions when training or indeed, just being outside. I haven't worn a singlet in years. I wear T-Shirt type tops. I lather up with sunscreen every ride or run over 30, minutes (or 15 minutes if it's between 10 and 2pm) I wear hats and wear UV protecting sunnies as well.

I have a good life and I want to keep it going for a while yet. Based on the truly miserable melanoma deaths a couple of friends suffered through, I have no intention of joining them.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
I did IM W Aus in 2014. Awesome race. Best Ironman race I've done. Loved Busso, loved the race, loved the Aussies.
However, what I found was weird was although sunsmart are the sponsors, I couldn't find any sunsmart lotion at the expo. No stand or anything. In fact, I had to go to a chemist in Busso to get a small sun lotion tube to carry with me on the bike. Just found it a bit odd.

Sunsmart normally have a big tent with plenty of sunscreen for people to use. At the Busso 70.3 they were handing out water bottles that change colour depending on the UV level. As you say there is no where to buy sunscreen at the expo though. Sunsmart is a government department and do not make or sell sunscreen, however they could encourage one of the expo stands to sell it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having lived in San Diego then Phoenix for the past 7 years i've had skin surgery a few times. They recommended Blue Lizard Sunblock. Its expensive but I buy a gallon at a time for $200. Also I've paid $1500 for surgery which is a lot more than sunscreen costs. As a bike commuter, physical education teacher, and triathlete I go through a lot. It is thick because it has zinc but doesn't feel as oily as some sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [gnarshredderSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the prevalence of skin cancer in our sport how hard would it be for Garmin or some other company to add a UV metric to their watches? Would be way cool to be able to set a alert on your watch when exposed to a harmful level of UV. Also would be nice to be able to track total exposure on Strava or Garmin. Would this be possible and a price point that would not be prohibitive?
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ignore it in your youth you may live to regret it in your latter years (if you make it that far).

It may look dorkish but when I go for long rides in summer I attach a plastic nose guard to my sunglasses, wear a flap to protect my neck and try to wear long sleeves if it is not too hot. Natually, this is in addition to sunscreen. I also wear a legionnaires cap when running in summer.

Too many riders are concerned about how they look on the bike. They should be more worried about how they are going to look when they are 60+ years of age.
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos.

On skin cancer (all causes, not just sun), black people have it much less than white people.

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/race.htm

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racism..that]s not so cool, but I just have a little question:

Do you want to live forever?

Well, You can't!!

The scare crows of the American Conspiracy Society of Dermatology make sure their members are high and dry.
Their members sure get something out of the society membership fees.
Scare tactics.
Most (!) people (even fair skinned) don't have to worry about dying from skin cancer, something else will get them first!

jt10000 wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
IIRC- non-white people were at a greater risk for sun/ skin damage than us near-albinos.

On skin cancer (all causes, not just sun), black people have it much less than white people.

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/race.htm
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
With the prevalence of skin cancer in our sport how hard would it be for Garmin or some other company to add a UV metric to their watches? Would be way cool to be able to set a alert on your watch when exposed to a harmful level of UV. Also would be nice to be able to track total exposure on Strava or Garmin. Would this be possible and a price point that would not be prohibitive?

There is a Garmin IQ widget called UV Index. It uses your GPS location and Internet connection to display the current UV index and the predicted max UV index for the day. I am going to download it and try it out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Sweden, so for most of the year I'll be covered due to the temperature rather than to avoid a sunburn. Come spring/summer, I'll get a tan, but seldom a burn.

However, does a (natural) tan increase the risk of cancer? I've always ben wold that a tan without a burn will protect you from getting a sunburn, and it's when you get burned that you increase the risk of cancer. I tried to google, but most articles I found seemed to focus on sunburn or artificial tans. Can someone give me the 101?
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The infamous Outlaw 2013. Hotter than the sun apparently.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought about it until i got cancer. Then i did. Two surgeries later the squamous cell in my lip was removed.

So please put on SPF with UVA & UVV protection lip balm.

http://rhysspencer.blogspot.ca

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having had multiple Mohs surgeries I take it pretty seriously. Last one involved plastic surgery. Supposed to be a small spot near my eye. I knew I was in trouble when it was done and the nurse said close your eye so I can put a bandage on. Tried closing it and said wait a minute I'm having trouble, I can see your hand still. I was then informed they removed a third of my eyelid. Yeah

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to thank you for this post, I had been meaning to get in for a skin cancer screening for a few years now and it's just slipped by. This post spurred me to get it done.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I'm in Sweden, so for most of the year I'll be covered due to the temperature rather than to avoid a sunburn. Come spring/summer, I'll get a tan, but seldom a burn.

However, does a (natural) tan increase the risk of cancer? I've always ben wold that a tan without a burn will protect you from getting a sunburn, and it's when you get burned that you increase the risk of cancer. I tried to google, but most articles I found seemed to focus on sunburn or artificial tans. Can someone give me the 101?

http://www.skincancer.org/...an-ever-a-good-thing
Quote Reply
Re: How Serious Do You Take The Skin Cancer Threat In Our Sport? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For everyone relying on 50+ SPV all day, you should read this and the studies it links to: http://www.cnn.com/...uidelines/index.html

Also, watch out for sunscreens containing oxybenzone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next