Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Dear god KZ totally F’d up that transition she lost a ton of time to leaders. Benefit GJ although her T was slow but wow KZ totally messed that up

That was horrible to watch. All that work on the bike down the drain.

This not aging particularly well? just caught the front.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I just say that it really annoys me when I see people race like Godoy? I get it that it’s the best strategy for her, but it’s incredibly annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Dear god KZ totally F’d up that transition she lost a ton of time to leaders. Benefit GJ although her T was slow but wow KZ totally messed that up

That was horrible to watch. All that work on the bike down the drain.

This not aging particularly well? just caught the front.

I mean, I didn’t say she was going to lose, only that she made a huge effort on the bike and lost half of that gap putting on her shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kz and grpup of 3 who now may be giving time penalty for going longer way around transition.

Wow just wow

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That fucking run is gaining time in front 4 now. Holy smokes

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone seems to be closing on the front group of 4.....

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
That fucking run is gaining time in front 4 now. Holy smokes

That was some good racing. I’m glad I woke up for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KZ 1
GJ 3
GS 6

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Protests now against KZ and 2nd, which likely means GJ wins by their rules.

The big issue is DQ would mean 0 points for Kz.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
KZ 1
GJ 3
GS 6

Gwen asking for a review. Looks like leaders ran through the finish line on the first lap. She’s probably asking for KZ to be DQ’ed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every World Tri course should be like this. Just put all the races in Karlovy Vary, Vina del Mar, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Yikes!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

It would be horrible if the protest was accepted. Bad for triathlon, bad for the top two, bad for Gwen's image - certainly in my eyes. I get that she's hustled to race in the Paris Olympics and made unimaginable sacrifices, but if you lose a race to athletes who were superior on the day and then manage to overturn the result on a technicality like this, I hope that if you qualify for Paris, you'll come last.

Last edited by: kajet: Nov 12, 23 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought all the drama was over when KZ finished the race. That was super exciting. But more excitement to come with the judges ruling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they will rule because it’s a longer route and because the camera bike rode that way that all will be forgiven. (Even though athletes have to “know the course” )

A few years back Luis rode through transition (and crashed) into barrier, then went backwards through transition to get to his rack and wasn’t given a penalty. They don’t *always* have to penalize.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

It would be horrible if the protest was accepted. Bad for triathlon, bad for the top two, bad for Gwen's image - certainly in my eyes. I get that she's hustled to race in the Paris Olympics and made unimaginable sacrifices, but if you lose a race to athletes who were superior on the day and then manage to overturn the result on a technicality like this, I hope that if you qualify for Paris, you'll come last.

Yeah, imo this is a bad look for Gwen. Doesn’t seem like they cut the course, and maybe they ran a bit more because of this mistake.

I wonder what the atmosphere within USAT is going to be after this, especially if she wins the protest and gets KZ DQ’ed.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just can’t have courses that are confusing for the athletes. They’re completely on the limit and shouldn’t be expected to be navigating. I was rooting for Gwen to catch KZ but not like this. Getting 0 points based on poor course design would be terrible
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it normal for these protests to take this long?

Edit: men are about to start without a women podium defined.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Nov 12, 23 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes this is normal likely due to the number of athletes who protested and who is affected by the DQ. (4 potential DQ athletes so likely a bunch have filed protest to improve spots, likely GS as well….or she should have)

This move by GJ would have been done by anyone in her spot knowing the front group went the wrong way.

At the end of the day this isn’t about looking good or bad. This is 100% a points race. Protest is 100% the correct call and 100 out of 100 athletes would have protested this in her shoes.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 12, 23 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for stating this. I was about to chime in on a similar tangent. Everyone is jumping to some conclusion that GJ pulled some sort of jerk move protest. ANYONE and any federation in the top 10 besides the top 2 would benefit from a protest and could have initiated the protest. All of these girls needs points, money, federation nods, etc. Going from 5th to 3rd may really help someone. Incredibly interesting everyone is so mad at GJ. I get, no one wants to "lose" on something like this, but no one wants to lose a World Cup soccer game on a PK either, yet it is a rule and happens all of the time. It is part of the sport.

But I digress. Backing you to say this protest could have come from any number or multiple federations. It is in the interest of all of the other athletes to move up 2 spots.
Last edited by: detr: Nov 12, 23 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [detr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
detr wrote:
Thank you for stating this. I was about to chime in on a similar tangent. Everyone is jumping to some conclusion that GJ pulled some sort of jerk move protest. ANYONE and any federation in the top 10 besides the top 2 would benefit from a protest and could have initiated the protest. All of these girls needs points, money, federation nods, etc. Going from 5th to 3rd may really help someone. Incredibly interesting everyone is so mad at GJ. I get, no one wants to "lose" on something like this, but no one wants to lose a World Cup soccer game on a PK either, yet it is a rule and happens all of the time. It is part of the sport.

But I digress. Backing you to say this protest could have come from any number or multiple federations. It is in the interest of all of the other athletes to move up 2 spots.

Yeah, I get it. It’s just “odd” to protest your own countrywoman. But if it’s normal then I guess KZ will be OK with it.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Nov 12, 23 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
detr wrote:
I get, no one wants to "lose" on something like this, but no one wants to lose a World Cup soccer game on a PK either, yet it is a rule and happens all of the time. It is part of the sport.

By "PK" do you mean penalty contest? If my guess is right, you can't possibly be serious comparing the two... a penalty contest would be more of a photo finish. Not a slower athlete being handed "victory" over a faster athlete because the faster athlete was led off course by the lead moto.

detr wrote:

How you're framing this is probably correct but it reminds of what is wrong with this World Triathlon business. Sport, to me, is not about random unrelated events distorting the result of competition. If something goes against the concept of fairness as most would understand it, and gives an athlete (Gwen) a bad look, but athletes don't care, because the fans or the sponsors that listen to the fans are not the ones paying them, then this whole setup is broken. Athletes should have to care. This shouldn't be normal.

Last edited by: kajet: Nov 12, 23 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My point was, where did everyone come to the conclusion that GJ pulled the protest? She might have, so so might have 10 other women/federations behind her that would benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
detr wrote:
My point was, where did everyone come to the conclusion that GJ pulled the protest? She might have, so so might have 10 other women/federations behind her that would benefit.

They said it live on the stream: “Gwen Jorgensen has protested”.
Quote Reply

Prev Next