Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After spending a couple hundred miles in my Air Attack, I'd get the visor. At least then you have the option to use it or not. This morning I could have used it as I was alone anyway so the weird look wouldn't have mattered. Nevertheless I'm still very happy with the AA.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Lederman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This is what I am thinking. I am really only concerned that sweat might drip off my face and run inside the visor making it difficult or at least annoying to see through.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Reverb helmet first and then the Air Attack, felt the same but the former is $100 cheaper and more aero (they said)...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [pinoyako] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if you're kidding or not about the Reverb, but I'm intrigued.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
Don't know if you're kidding or not about the Reverb, but I'm intrigued.

The best thing about the Reverb is it comes with the classic "3 panel" color schemes like the original Air Attack ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just did my first 80k with my new Air Attack. Shieldless version. Here are my thoughts.

I love it. I had a specialized s3 which was excellent as well. I got the Giro looking for marginal gains but they are, in fact, excellent bang for buck gains (based on published claims) when I factor in my s3 sale.

Got Black with silver/white and it looks awesome.
And that's the crux -- I love the way this helmet looks. I'd love to say to all the "it looks like a kid's bmx helmet" crowd -- yeah! and I grew up on BMX!! - But that would be revisionist cause it was the 80s and we didn't wear helmets. (I have the three day gap in my life from a concussion to prove it) So there's no real nostalgic revel there for me. I just think it looks better than full tri helmets or standard roadie fare. I think it's the best looking helmet on the road. Have thought that since the day it was announced. And my s3 was a looker as far as I was concerned

Did I go faster. Yes - - I PR'd every segment including ones at the end of 70 k that I usually ride fresh but I have been training hard and am newer to this sport so my gains are still significant almost each week. I will say I felt much less wind dragging thru the vents the way I did on my s3 and that's of course the point of the helmet.

I am so glad I bought it and recommend it to anyone in the market. Also -- it was 10 degrees centigrade so cooling is something I can't speak to.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Lederman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my visored Air Attack on Thursday. Maybe first and only one in Dallas from what they said, accidentally shipped one out and I snagged it.

First Impression: most comfortable helmet I have and ez to put on. Feels like its floating on the head. Definitely my IM helmet no matter the conditions.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone comment on the wind noise? I'm tired of the noise of my current helmet and hope this aero design has the additional benefit of being quieter. That, and cooling abilities in the heat are my primary concerns. Thank you.
Last edited by: Tkkbberg: Apr 28, 13 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you say they accidentally shipped one out? Is this helmet not being released now with the visor??? I thought they were due to be released at the end of April anyways.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what the shop said, they had 9 more reserved on order but only got the one in ahead of the others. I was expecting this next week anyways...

2016:
IMFL #12
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Tkkbberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tkkbberg wrote:
Can anyone comment on the wind noise? I'm tired of the noise of my current helmet and hope this aero design has the additional benefit of being quieter. That, and cooling abilities in the heat are my primary concerns. Thank you.

There is NO wind noise (even during an hour crit at 27.7 mph avg). Sounds no different than any other road helmet. Not sure why a TTer/ triathlete would use one since a true aero helmet is faster, but whatever. I've done 4 races with one (1 crit, 3 road races) now (no visor). Only one race was warm. A little warmer than an open road helmet, but not bad. Certainly cooler than my Giro Selector that I use for TTs.

Hope that helps.

Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [RobWesson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any info on how the air attack compares to the Advantage2? I read that the drag of the Air Attack is right between the Aeon and Selector. I also read that the Advantage is slower than the Selector by a little. I assume the Advantage2 is somewhere between the Air Attack and Selector, but I'm wondering just where it sits between the two.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Popped into The Bike Barn yesterday to pick one up only to find out I was premature, looking forward to snagging one when they arrive though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Got my visored Air Attack on Thursday. Maybe first and only one in Dallas from what they said, accidentally shipped one out and I snagged it.

First Impression: most comfortable helmet I have and ez to put on. Feels like its floating on the head. Definitely my IM helmet no matter the conditions.

I'm in Plano. Which shop did you snag yours at? I went to bicycle's plus, by smu, they only had the non-visor model.

Pm me.

Socks
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Shortsocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone please post some pics of you guys wearing the actual helmet? Add size bought and head size or maybe just pics of the helmets. I don't get to see the helmet in real life before purchasing, as our LBS does not carry it or will. I'm trying to get a peek before and most of the pics I see online are of the Air attack before it was available to the public. Thanks. Cheers.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
That's what the shop said, they had 9 more reserved on order but only got the one in ahead of the others. I was expecting this next week anyways...
The Tri Shop? I have one on order with them. Went by and talked to the guys today. Said they were supposed to be shipping out today and hopefully will have them by end of week. I hope they are right. Would really like tog et a long ride in with the new helmet before IMTX in a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
se7930 wrote:
DFWTri wrote:
The Tri Shop? I have one on order with them. Went by and talked to the guys today. Said they were supposed to be shipping out today and hopefully will have them by end of week. I hope they are right. Would really like tog et a long ride in with the new helmet before IMTX in a few weeks.

Yeap, the TriShop. They told me the same thing today. By Friday.
I'm super curious as to how they will handle in the TX heat. When it comes to 110 degrees 7 days a week, having a well ventilated helmet is super important.

What I don't like about The TriShop is their proximity to the WindHaven hill. I'm on that hill ALL the time and I am always urged to stop there on the way home. Some days it's just a protein bar, but someways it's something that's way too much, like a wheelset or shoes......

I'll be riding by their on Friday for a "Cliff Bar". Damn it.

Socks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work 5 minutes from there and the wife thinks I spend more time at their shop than I do at work!

This will onyl be a race helmet for me, but it will be interesting to see how it feels in July and August at some of the local races around here that tend to be pretty hot!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, TriShop.
I only did a short ride with it, decided to try the Giro Selector for a Sprint on Sunday with a 24mile bike leg since it was cool out.

One BIG difference i find is the same size S/M in Air Attack fits much easier and more adjustable than the Selector S/M. Keeping Selector but only for Short distance and cooler bike legs.

Taking AirAttack to Shiner 100 on Saturday.

2016:
IMFL #12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Yes, TriShop.
I only did a short ride with it, decided to try the Giro Selector for a Sprint on Sunday with a 24mile bike leg since it was cool out.

One BIG difference i find is the same size S/M in Air Attack fits much easier and more adjustable than the Selector S/M. Keeping Selector but only for Short distance and cooler bike legs.

Take some pics and write a review for us. As you will prob be one of the first to do a 100 mile stretch with it on...oh. Also tell us how easy it is to have a long cold one with the visor on. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been interested in this helmet for awhile now. It just so happens that I crunched my Specialized S3 into the concrete yesterday at 21mph. Unfortunately my head was inside it at the time. Me and all my contusions are now cheerfully anticipating the new helmet.

That's my second wreck this year. The first was over the bars when attacked by 3 dogs. I will say this: safety has become my #1 concern. I want a helmet that hugs my head and doesn't stick out. In my wreck earlier this year my head wouldn't have hit the pavement but for the duck tail on the back of my last helmet. The air attack appeals to me for several reasons:

1. It is rounded and hard-surfaced with no extremities so nothing to grab the pavement with.
2. It appears to be relatively tight-fitting.
3. The visor appears to solve my biggest visibility problem: looking around the frames of sunglasses when tucked low. Also, no fiddling with glasses required. One less distraction.
4. It looks cool as hell. I'm old punk-rock skater guy and this looks like a skater helmet. Skaters are cooler than road cyclists :-)

Interested to hear the answer RE fogging and sweat pooling.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go:

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Apr 29, 13 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Yes, TriShop.

The air attack is available in small, medium and large. I know the selector was avaailable in small/medium and medium/large (not sure if that has changed).

Anyway, the small air attack (rated to 55cm) fits my 56+ cm oval head.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if there's plans to add a shield to the matte versions?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [jfolks259] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked my shield version up from Richardson Bike Mart a few minutes ago (ordered it 6 weeks ago).

Looks - Honestly i have not been real impressed with the pictures I have seen online or the non-shield model I saw in person. BUT the shield model gloss black & silver looks really good and more importantly FAST ;). The shield is dark tinted.

Venting - As it been stated the helmet is suspended above your head and it actually looks like a great design. There is a small cutout in the top of the shield so when it’s on it will (in theory) allow airflow into the vent system. In reality I’m not sure how well that would work and especially in the Texas heat. (I'll make my 1st run at it today with it being in the mid 80's)

Visibility- While I have not ridden this yet or seen others comment on this I am specifically interested in the ability to stay in an very head down aero position but be able to see a further distance away as compared to my traditional helmet and glasses. I say this because the traditional setup causes me to raise my head to see above the glasses frame and the nose slip makes the problem worse.

Like I mentioned before I will be riding this tonight so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to help where i can.
Last edited by: dannyh: Apr 30, 13 13:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next