Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. Considering all the comments I've heard about it looking like a skate/hockey helmet (some truth to that) they are flying off the shelves. I think it is just going to be nice to have one go-to helmet for racing or training. Can't wait to take mine out for a spin.

Only in terms of aesthetics, since you then have these 3 magnet holes. Should really not be a big deal though.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quickguru wrote:
Just curious, is there any draw back to buy the visor model then remove it? Is it only a $$ problem?

I remember reading some thread (couldn't find it) on how the AA Shield without the visor left some holes that could produce a small aero penalty, and perhaps should taped or plugged. I will know more when I get mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After riding w/shield i could not see a reason for not using it,,, other than it being too HOT and so far I don't think any of us know what that threshold is.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics of my Giro Attack.... http://allanthisted.blogspot.dk/
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Thisted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quite like it with the visor but I bought without as I never use sunglasses when riding so didnt require a visor.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [Spongebob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My black/silver and white came today. Not sure which one to keep. The white has a different look but there is a little dent at the crown. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if Giro or anyone else will be making other colored lenses or shields like some of the pro's have been wearing. It appears they have a jade iridium or positive red iridium color on some of the riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A rose tint would be nice for race day when conditions are changing. I think its a smart design. Can't wait to get mine.

The fact you can't afford it doesn't make bad. The fact you can doesn't make it good.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has three funny little magnet attachement points on the front rim. It would look a little ugly (uglier depending on your opinion of the helmet) and add a bit of weight.

I did my maiden voyage with my visor-ed model today and I thought it was great. Comfortable and I am not looking over the tops of sunglasses when I get aero. I wouldn't get the non-visor model unless you have perscription glasses.

All in all it is faster, safer, and more comfortable than my regular road helmet. I don't care what anybody thinks about the looks because I am so used to being told how embarrassing I already am (teen-agers are good for making you no longer care how crappy you look).

Two big thumbs up from me!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the Giro Air Attack helmet with the shield for a week and several rides. It is the best helmet I ever had. I find it extremely comfortable. The helmet adjustments allow for a perfect fit. Air flows well thought the helmet keeping my head very comfortable. I have the dark shield and find it wonderful for daytime riding. I find that just before twilight I need to take off the shield because the view is very dark and it affects my vision. Flipping the shield up on the helmet works very well; I can not tell it is on my helmet. My glasses fit well behind the shield, but it is something you should check to make sure it works for your glasses. Bottom line I do not notice that I have the helmet on. It is a keeper.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [geno55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my quick review and a word of advice, in case there are others out there who are as big an idiot as me.

I got the AA Shield on Friday and raced an Oly tri in it today. I really like the helmet. It fits my head great and I love the visor. It's out away from your face which adds to the race comfort.

Race temps today were mid/upper 40s, so it was hard to gauge the ventilation. But the helmet sits up off your head a bit, and so I really think it'll vent just fine.

I remember reading some reports about the Kask Bambino and how the shield would occasionally fly off in strong winds. I can see how this could possibly happen with the AA Shield as well. Winds were moderate today (10-12mph) but when going into a headwind and turning my head to blow a snot rocket, I felt the side magnet break contact and then snap back on as I turned my head back forwards. This happened 2 times. Just a word of caution.

Now the bad news, which is no fault of Giro. I did not get home with the visor, and can only assume it fell off on the walk from transition to my car. I have a habit of hanging my helmet from my backpack (I don't have a huge gear bag). The shield stayed on during a race, but didn't make it to the car (!!!), and I didn't notice until I got home. I have an email into the RD and also to Giro (to see if they offer replacement shields yet, although it does not look like they do yet). In hindsight, I should have taken the shield off and put it in my backpack. I am just not used to having a two piece helmet, and thus thought I'd pass along this embarrassing story so that it doesn't happen to anybody else. I hope I can get a replacement shield and wear it again for my next race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought of the shield snapping off as well then I take the helmet off...its real easy for my brow to catch the bottom on the shield knocking it slightly off the magnets. I can see in the rush of T2 it popping off. I hope Giro offers replacement shields at a semi-reasonable price.
Last edited by: waupaca11: May 5, 13 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking whether it would be a good idea to run a little electrical tape along the edge to make sure it does not come off if windy. At least until spares become available.

The guy I bought it from says replacement shields are available for $40 + shipping, I just don't see them available online anywhere. The only website which mentions them says they are not available until August. I will call Giro on Monday and update the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an update...replacement shields are available but currently back-ordered until the end of May. Giro will be sending me one free of charge when they are available, despite my offer to pay. Excellent customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to an LBS yesterday and asked if they could order it for me as they have some MTB GIRO models in stock. The guy said that he is hesitant to order more from GIRO because he cannot offer a proper guarantee for the helmets. He mentioned that they come back with the inside cushion worn out and torn after a short period. Mails to the vendor come back with response that this is because of salt in sweat and that the users need to take better care: not covered. I've had helmets for years without any of those issues and I will probably still get the AA anyways, but just letting you know. I take good care of my stuff, so my stuff can take good care of me.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
After riding w/shield i could not see a reason for not using it,,, other than it being too HOT and so far I don't think any of us know what that threshold is.

I raced mine at St Croix. If there is a hotter more humid and hillier test, I would be surprised. The helmet was comfortable the whole ride. In fact the testament is it was my third ride with the helmet and I didn't think about it at all. Was I hot? Hell yes! Did the helmet contribute? Not much.

I would definitely purchase again.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used mine last nigth for the first time. It was on a training ride. My first impression was it was heavy compared to my other helmet. Put it on and started riding. I had no problem with the heat, it seemed to cool very nicely. One unexpected thing, I purpusly did not wear a sweat band to see if the sweat would get on the shield. I found at least for this ride the air moving through the vents in the top of the shield pushed the sweat around my forehead past the side of my eyes. I didn't expect that but will see if that happens again tonight. No seat dripped onto the shield.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a 45 mile hard tempo ride on my TT bike today in 78 degree heat and bright sunshine. First ride with the GAA w/shield. I didn't find it to be heavy. As a training helmet for the TT bike I thought it was darned near perfect. I have a very low head position and, even with frameless sunglasses, I'm always having to look through the break at the edge of the lenses. That's why I prefer visors when I race and it's one reason why this helmet was excellent on my training ride today. Though I had the impression that my head up inside the lid was probably a little on the warm side, I was surprised at how much air circulated around my face, eyes and ears and kept them quite cool and comfortable. This seemed like a nice offset to any extra warmth there may have been higher up. In particular, that circulation around the eyes was really nice. And there's a lot of space between my face and the shield so, sweat has room to drop without dropping on the visor.

I rode with a couple of guys who were wearing them at our Tuesday Night World Championship last night. It sure looks like there's a lot more protection for the back side of the head than with other helmets.

At 78 degrees, we've got a lot warmer weather to come and the heat thing may become more of an issue later on. But for now, I'd give this helmet at least 4 1/2 stars out of 5. My only tiny niggle is with the straps which seem kinda wimpy and, once I had them adjusted like I needed them, they didn't want to lay very smoothly against the sides of my face. But once the lid was on and I snapped the buckle, no complaints about the fit. I've never had a helmet that I thought fit the shape of my head as well as this one does. I think I have a bit of a Charlie Brown-shaped head. I think this helmet is more round than most.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack aero road helmet [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey ... question everybody who's bought the shield version. I thought I'd read in a couple of reviews that the helmet comes with both a clear and a tinted shield. Mine only came with one tinted shield. Were the reviews wrong or did I miss out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got mine earlier this week, only came with the tinted lense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only got the tinted shield.

Finally saw the Air Attack (and visor) on the ITU circuit worn by Denis Vasiliev yesterday in Yokohama. Denis didn't make the lead pack and wasn't really a factor in the race, but brother Ivan placed 4th. Impressively, the Vasiliev brothers both did very well last weekend at St. George.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got mine today (from Labicicletta, Toronto), only came with the tinted lens.
Tried it on, love the way it feels, and so much easier to put on than other aero helmets, IMHO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next