Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I guess it’s full steam ahead with Galveston but this has race week cancellation written all over it. While the most severe COVID situation is on the opposite side of the state in the El Paso area, the rest of Texas isn’t doing all that great either with almost 12,000 cases yesterday and a positivity rate at 11%. The saving grace could be the redneck, business first politics of Galveston County. Nevertheless, positivity rates have increased and Galveston’s cases are up 50% from two weeks ago. So not sure what data metrics they’d use to justify approving the race given the supposed policies and protocols in place. 🤷‍♂️

No chance the race would happen if it was in neighboring Harris County (Houston).

Always nice to read racist descriptions of an entire county. Keep being you GMAN.

Disparaging and derogatory? Sure. That was my point, Einstein.

Racist? Puh-lease.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Just so people are clear on distances, Galveston is closer to Atlanta than to El Paso.

Actually not true according to Google maps. 793 to El Paso and 813 to Atlanta.

What was your point?

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I already have Galveston 2021 rolled over from this year.

Anyone else registered?

Since I'm not trained and experienced enough to do in three weeks, I did not register.

I couldn't find a 2021 race on the schedule (could be because it won't show until after this race). I would love to have it scheduled around the "normal" time of early April. Do you have a date on your rollover?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe April 4th is the date next year.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AchillesHeal wrote:
This race is happening and I’ll be there. Don’t care if 10% of them have covid. Can’t be worse than my job where I am guaranteed to see 1-2 cover people daily.

I see from other posts that you work in the medical field. Do you get tested for C19 regularly? How confident will you be when you attend the race that you won't potentially spread C19? Not trying to troll. I think this is a valid question to ask given your post. Thanks for your work!

From the Ironman Group's response to COVID-19:

Self-care and Risk Minimization
Athletes who are sick or have been potentially exposed to an infectious agent must not compete or attend events, as this puts others at risk. As a community, we each have a personal responsibility to protect each other by complying with this rule.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Nov 17, 20 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Texas, especially in Houston area, outdoor gathering of 10 people and more needs approval. Not sure what's going to happen to this race. If it gets cancelled, they might announce it tomorrow like Lubbock. If not, good luck everyone racing. Weather looks great for this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
In Texas...

I not sure that this is true. I’m pretty sure the governor said his statements are recommendations and that each area of the state can decide (by county, I believe). So Harris count can decide what they want, Galveston what they want and Montgomery what they want.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I believe April 4th is the date next year.

I hope that’s the schedule! I’ve started a new training plan and picked that day as my A race.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to a deferral entry the 2021 date for Galveston is 4/11/21.

I could be wrong but 4/4 might be Easter.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Schrute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schrute wrote:
According to a deferral entry the 2021 date for Galveston is 4/11/21.

I could be wrong but 4/4 might be Easter.

Yep, Easter is the 4th.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its listed as being on 11 April - as does the confirmation email from one of my deferrements.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inside word... it's cancelled
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's cancelled, the race in 4 days? And by whose word? They held the pro pre-race meeting (virtually) pretty much at the time you posted that and not a word was said about there even being a chance of cancellation.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the Civic Alert posted today it's going down!

https://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1198

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:
What's cancelled, the race in 4 days? And by whose word? They held the pro pre-race meeting (virtually) pretty much at the time you posted that and not a word was said about there even being a chance of cancellation.
Sorry guys. IM officials communicated it right before 8PM this evening. I was hoping this event would happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
⚠️ URGENT RACE UPDATE ⚠️

We regret to inform you that the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Texas triathlon cannot take place on November 22 due to the elevated public safety alert that is in effect for Harris County, in addition to the stay at home orders and recommendations for Dallas, Travis, and other surrounding counties based upon the continued acceleration of COVID-19 infections in Texas. The IRONMAN 70.3 Texas triathlon will now return on April 11, 2021.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Texas triathlon will be receiving an email with further information. If you have additional questions or do not receive the email with further information, please contact texas70.3@ironman.com. While we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we thank our athletes for their understanding at this late juncture and look forward to providing them with an exceptional race experience in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I guess they tried to hold out as long as possible

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeti racer wrote:
Inside word... it's cancelled

Yesterday I reached out to a contact I have in Galveston and that person stated permits had not been approved as of noon yesterday. That person stated there was logistically no way the race was happening if the permits were not yet approved by that time. That person said that while Galveston County was okay-ish from a COVID perspective, they knew the vast majority of athletes were coming from the Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio areas which are not doing well from a COVID perspective. Ironman’s press release more or less says the same.

I didn’t want to post anything here because it was conjecture at that point.

Canceling the race on four days notice is pretty shitty. Sorry for those of you getting hosed here. Ironman knew the state of Texas was having 10,000+ cases per day and that Houston is a problem area. Didn’t take Nostradamus to figure this one out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this their shittiest cancel yet? Plenty of friends of mine are already there.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Is this their shittiest cancel yet? Plenty of friends of mine are already there.

Wasn't Lubbock 70.3 also cancelled just days before the race?
It would be interesting to know how they decide how long to wait. The three WTC events in Canada this year were cancelled literally months in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:

It’s probably the worst. The Lubbock cancellation is right up there though. Lubbock was possibly worse because it’s in the middle of nowhere and further to drive from the major Texas metro areas than Galveston. Flip side is the Galveston race is far more popular and likely affected way more people. I bet the majority of athletes are just learning about it this morning and probably had hotels/VRBOs/AirBnBs booked for tomorrow. Best of luck getting out of those on one day notice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:

I think Puerto Rico 70.3 will hold that title indefinitely (one or two days before, after everyone had already traveled). These last minute cancellations are pretty terrible.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

I think Puerto Rico 70.3 will hold that title indefinitely (one or two days before, after everyone had already traveled). These last minute cancellations are pretty terrible.

Forgot about that one. Agreed, Eric.

That was the beginning of the pandemic and folks were already there. Way worse since nobody can drive to Puerto Rico. My guess is that almost zero people were flying to race Lubbock or Galveston. That stated, it was easy to see where the data was heading in Texas in late November 2020 than Puerto Rico in the spring. Ironman should have canceled this race a couple of weeks ago at a minimum.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 19, 20 5:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Maybe not as bad as PR, but WOW!

I really feel for the folks already on their way or already there, and for those packed and ready to leave today.

When they cancelled the early event in April, I defended their position of only allowing reschedules to other events. But really, I see no defense for this late action. Not wanting to cancel until the "last minute" is fine, but the "last minute" in my mind is a week's notice, not four days.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:
This race is happening and I’ll be there. Don’t care if 10% of them have covid. Can’t be worse than my job where I am guaranteed to see 1-2 cover people daily.

I see from other posts that you work in the medical field. Do you get tested for C19 regularly? How confident will you be when you attend the race that you won't potentially spread C19? Not trying to troll. I think this is a valid question to ask given your post. Thanks for your work!

I don’t get tested unless I have symptoms. And if I have symptoms I don’t go to work. Therefore I don’t get tested. I’m pretty sure I won’t spread it since most likely I’ve had it and am immune to it.

At any rate, there is no stopping covid unless vaccine really works. And anyone who is worried about getting it should not be at the race.

But that is all moot since the race is cancelled.
Quote Reply

Prev Next