Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think?
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to decide about registering for Galveston 70.3 scheduled for Nov 22.

I was scheduled for the Apr 5 race, which was cancelled. Silly me, I thought the virus would be over by September and selected Augusta (sept. 27) as the substitute race. When Augusta was cancelled, my options didn't include Galveston next month. So, I selected Augusta 2021.

If I race Galveston, I'll have to pay the registration again. I guess if I register now I'll get an option for another event if it's cancelled, but don't really want to pay another registration only to be disappointed.

There's no other cost for me, as I live west of Houston and have friends I can stay with in Galveston.

I'm 90% sure it won't happen based on the recent cancellations and that the Houston Marathon (Jan) is cancelled already (although Houston/Harris County is a lot more strict than Galveston/Galveston County - which seems a lot like Montgomery County).

Without getting into politics, do you think it will happen Nov 22?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellow Houstonian here. I’ve given up on 2020, including trying to predict whether events will happen. I now have 4 events for 2020 that have been rolled to 2021 (Galveston, IMTX, Alcatraz, and an XTerra).

BUT if Galveston looks like it’s going forward, I’d be willing to go if I can register at the last minute. And I mean the laaaaast minute.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Fellow Houstonian here. I’ve given up on 2020, including trying to predict whether events will happen. I now have 4 events for 2020 that have been rolled to 2021 (Galveston, IMTX, Alcatraz, and an XTerra).

BUT if Galveston looks like it’s going forward, I’d be willing to go if I can register at the last minute. And I mean the laaaaast minute.
My only concern with the last minute is the additional $100 (assuming it goes to tier 4). Unfortunately no way to know anything - which is the biggest complaint I have with WTC.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s been 0 communication, so still seems very much up in the air. I’m signed up as a deferral from the April date, but hoping to be able to just move it to next year (anyone had success requesting a transfer out of the Nov date??)

There was talk in one of the TX 70.3 Facebook groups that someone spoke with someone with the city of Galveston (a director of special events?) that said the race was officially approved. Others saying there’s a city hall meeting on the 22nd where we may learn more. Also talk of construction on the bike course...no idea if this is still ongoing or the magnitude of it.

I’d at least wait until after that meeting to sign up...Its been in tier 3 forever, so doesn’t seem in danger of selling out, assuming they’ve already capped it at a certain number.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [pw10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know about the Oct 22nd meeting. I'll wait until Thursday to see if there's any additional information.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im over in beaumont. im headed to lake conroe for oilman on nov 1... come race that one. there are still openings.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. For some reason I thought that was a full IM. Since this is my first try, I'll have to consider if my training can be cut short by three weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
come race and have fun. my training has fallen apart pretty bad the last two months. i just did long run day (13.1) and i’m embarrassed how my legs are so not ready for a solid 70.3 effort.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [pw10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@pw10 or anyone.

Any updated news on this event. Oilman is Sunday and I need to schedule today if Galveston is off or unconfirmed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oilman is going to happen and is a better course anyways! If you're healthy, why not sign up and race?

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still no communication from the race. My guess is they’re hopeful since they haven’t canceled yet, but I suspect they’re still working on approvals/permits and don’t want to confirm that it’s happening until that’s all in place. Purely speculation though, don’t have any info other than what’s being talked about in one of the unofficial Facebook groups for the race.

If it were me, I’d probably go with the more sure bet this weekend. A month from now is an eternity, and with the way things are trending throughout the country, I would think there’s a decent chance of a close in cancel. Just me though...sorry can’t be of more help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm official registered for Oilman this Sunday.

It's my first triathlon, so, yes, I'm very nervous. Doing my tri at 60 years old is scary! I'm not worried about either specific discipline. I'm worried about doing all of them back to back to back. :0

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
horray!! come swim bike and run, misery loves company!! :-P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravel bike races have just started to pop back up

I hope the race goes on for you guys
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No talk on ST.

Is Galveston70.3 going off this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d guess yes. We keep pretending Covid isn’t happening in Texas
Last edited by: mvenneta: Nov 17, 20 6:02
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted above that I might sign up at the last minute, and went ahead and registered late last week. I haven’t been training for this specific event, so it’ll be a show up and do it kind of thing. I’ve been biking and swimming on a regular basis but not too much running.

I think there’s still a decent chance it gets cancelled but I was willing to risk it. Worst case is I’ll roll it over to Waco next year. I already have Galveston 2021 rolled over from this year.

Anyone else registered?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it’s full steam ahead with Galveston but this has race week cancellation written all over it. While the most severe COVID situation is on the opposite side of the state in the El Paso area, the rest of Texas isn’t doing all that great either with almost 12,000 cases yesterday and a positivity rate at 11%. The saving grace could be the redneck, business first politics of Galveston County. Nevertheless, positivity rates have increased and Galveston’s cases are up 50% from two weeks ago. So not sure what data metrics they’d use to justify approving the race given the supposed policies and protocols in place. 🤷‍♂️

No chance the race would happen if it was in neighboring Harris County (Houston).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 17, 20 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m waiting until Thursday to sign up

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:

Registration is already closed, unless you have some back door way of registering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Callin' wrote:

Registration is already closed, unless you have some back door way of registering.

I heard slowman is jacking up entrance fees at 100/100 but at least registration is still open and it is Covid19 safe
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on this new calculator out today, in Galveston County, in a group of 1,000 people, there is greater than 99% chance that someone in that group has COVID.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I guess it’s full steam ahead with Galveston but this has race week cancellation written all over it. While the most severe COVID situation is on the opposite side of the state in the El Paso area, the rest of Texas isn’t doing all that great either with almost 12,000 cases yesterday and a positivity rate at 11%. The saving grace could be the redneck, business first politics of Galveston County. Nevertheless, positivity rates have increased and Galveston’s cases are up 50% from two weeks ago. So not sure what data metrics they’d use to justify approving the race given the supposed policies and protocols in place. 🤷‍♂️

No chance the race would happen if it was in neighboring Harris County (Houston).

Always nice to read racist descriptions of an entire county. Keep being you GMAN.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so people are clear on distances, Galveston is closer to Atlanta than to El Paso.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race is happening and I’ll be there. Don’t care if 10% of them have covid. Can’t be worse than my job where I am guaranteed to see 1-2 covid people daily.
Quote Reply

Prev Next