Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right so I just think the 1 length = hypoxic work is the very reason why ppl are drowning of shallow water blackout. Thus why I’m saying I your already past your normal breath hold and your not there yet....fucking breath over worrying about getting that final 5m to he wall, especially or your in a bit of a panic.

1 full length, no breath (or 1 breath at the start technically) doesn’t need to be the “standard” hypoxic set thus for athletes I tell them breath when needed, they already have held their breath longer than normal, and accomplished the goal.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 11, 21 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea if I was an actual swim coach I would never, ever give hypoxic sets. The liability is just not worth the [completely hypothetical] benefit.

To the OP - I used to not breathe directly into the turn near the beginning of the set, but as I got tired or was sustaining a higher HR I usually would take that extra breath. Same thing with coming out of the turn; near the beginning of the set I would not immediately breathe on first stroke (because it's faster out of the turn to not take a breakout breath), but later in the set I would.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At many Y’s across the country true “hypoxic” (1 lap no inhale) swimming isn’t even technically allowed. The policy I Master’s swim coach under is zero no breath sets (if that’s worded poorly it means we can’t give sets where they swim 1 length without breathing......now I have about 5 college swimmers turned master swimmers that will go no breath or can do it more easily then others....I just can’t coach them too).

Our traditional “allowed” BC set is:

4 x 50 on 60
Odd- 2 breaths per 25 each way
Even- 1 breath per 25 way way

4 allows you to push the swimmer’s comfort level but not overwhelming where they can get in a bad spot with having to do it over and over in a short time frame like the previous mentioned 10 x 25 no breath .

ETA: But again my policy is always "breath if you need to". Worrying about 1 extra breath in a 1 breath hold set is the stupid shit that gets athlete's in a spot of bother in the first place. So I always give the athlete's an out. 2 breaths in a 25yard period is in my professional opinion fine for working water comfort / emotion control / breath control.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 11, 21 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [TriMeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First I would listen to Mony and or Slowman. Both are darn good swimmers.

Skills in all three sports are good to learn. The flip turn and push off - glide is one of those skills. It simply makes you a better swimmer. The Master’s group I swim with does a great bit of skill work.

The other day we had a set 3 x 1000. The 1000 was broken into lot’s of smaller bits. But at the end there were 6 X 50. On each 50 you lost a breath and the goal is to get to one breath per length on the last 50. The way to swim it is push off and swim to the other end with no breath, breath going into the wall then take a breath half way across the pool.

A standard pull with paddles buoy and band is 300 with 3-5-7 breathing per 100. If it’s a 400 it’s 3-5-7-9.

Again ask Monty and Slowman they will attest that I’m not a natural born swimmer. It’s learning all the swimming skills that have gotten me to the swimmer that I am.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [TriMeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always take a breath on the last stroke into the wall (not after the last stroke, where both hands would be at my side before the flip); the only exception would be if I were really racing a 100 or less. So to make sure you can do this, you need to be able to breathe to both sides.

A couple things you can try to get used to longer periods without breathing:
-do 25's where you go longer off the wall than normal (like do 6 fly kicks before starting your breakout stroke).
-do some breath control work. This would be something like breathing every 5 rather than whatever your normal pattern is. Do it with a pull buoy and/or paddles to make it easier.
-kick with a board, and put your face down in the water and count X kicks before picking up your head to breathe again (this is same as above, just with kicking instead of pulling)
-Alternative is like doing 50's where you get X number of breaths (like 3) for the whole 50. Start higher and come down.

I don't recommend doing things like 25's underwater or seeing how far you can go without breathing. Just push your comfort zone a little at a time.

Off the wall, it is taught almost universally not to take a breath on the first (breakout) stroke. The only high level swimmer I can think of that has done that is Sun Yang and well, he's not a good example. If you currently take a heaping breath on your first arm recovery off the wall, practice not doing that with 25's to start.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At my club one of the swim club kids had to pull a dead lap swimmer out of the pool 2 years ago. It was probably a heart attack as opposed to shallow water blackout but I always think of this when I do any breath holding stuff. I do my underwaters to practice underwaters and not directly for hypoxic training. The prime focus is the burst off the wall which simulates a race flip turn. I try to maintain a regular breathing pattern just like swimming on the surface hence I usually go a little past half a lap and then take a breath and then another at around the flags and sometimes a third one when I need it. Sometimes I see a college kid practicing underwaters and they are like fish and I usually wait until another day to do them to not embarrass myself.
Last edited by: Abergili: Feb 11, 21 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:

Off the wall, it is taught almost universally not to take a breath on the first (breakout) stroke. The only high level swimmer I can think of that has done that is Sun Yang and well, he's not a good example. If you currently take a heaping breath on your first arm recovery off the wall, practice not doing that with 25's to start.

taking a breath on the first stroke feels like throwing a ball lefthanded. It is THAT ingrained in me, I am sure you are the same way. This lead me to an interesting observation:

I am right arm dominant. I also breath almost exclusively to my right. So coming off the wall the first stroke is a left stroke, followed by a right stroke/breath. The problem is that any lap that has an odd number of strokes is going to end up having 1 more left (non-dominant) pull than right. I suspect if I were able to retrain myself: first stroke RIGHT then breath LEFT I would chop off .2 or so per 50 because I am then using my dominant arm more than my non-dominant.

I of course will not actually do anything about this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep at it. You’ll get there. Took me about a month before I could do it especially on harder sets. The key is just man up and don’t cheat when you’re getting tired because the adaptations happen when you’re on the brink of giving up.

I also did a hypoxic warm up set every swim for a couple months until no longer needed it. I’d swim 8x 50 breathing as 3/5/7/9 strokes 2x through. It took a while to work up to the 9. Then eventually 4x100s as 3/5/7/9.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And note, on the hypoxia sets, I was doing them at the Y. I didn’t blackout or drown. And felt pretty safe with 2 lifeguards on deck. And worked up to it gradually. But proceed at your own risk.

It’s improved my swim confidence a lot. I no longer panic when I miss a breath in races, etc.
Last edited by: wintershade: Feb 11, 21 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There isn't a race scenario that I can think of that you need to hold your breath for probaly more than 10ish seconds. Sure you go to breath and get hit by a wave, and you simply regroup, and breath next stroke or next stroke after that. That's at most 3-4s time frame. Or you get swam over, but that happens so quickly that unless you truly get knocked out or 8 people swim over top of you, you dont really need "extended" breath holding to get comfortable at it. Another BC set I like to give is 3 / 5 / 7 strokes per breath. This is a sweet spot almost open water specific imo because this truly does work that sensation of holding your breath for just "1 more stoke", etc. 7 strokes equates to about 2 breaths per 25 and if you do that over a few 100's you really start to figure it out. So I think there are certainly some ways to work it without going to steps that in our industry has had some deadly consequences. I believe it was an Ivy League swimmer most recently in '19 that went home for holidays and died while doing breath holding work (he was swimming alone) w/ LG support on deck, etc.

I always tell people start with flip turns in the warm up and cool down. Nail that and then begin to work it into the main set. What you don't want to do is have the flip turn throw you off so badly that the swimming is compromised. But if your doing it in the w/u w/d, you'll likely being doing 500yd-1k of flip turns and that's a lot of turns to get practice on.

As far as the breakout stroke- simply follow the rule.....Every time you breath on the 1st stroke off the wall, you owe yourself a push up. So either you'll get good at it finally or you'll have great arm muscle definition.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 11, 21 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most LG's likely wouldn't even know your doing "breath holding" sets when your on top of water swimming free and breathing 1-2 times every 25. Unless your the only person in the pool, you swimming freestyle on top of the water isn't going to be out of the ordinary. It's when your doing underwater's the whole time without air that's when it's likely easier to spot from a LG standpoint.

I'm not sure what the old school swim coaches did for true no breath hypoxic sets, whether it was freestyle on top of water or underwater efforts. Underwater efforts will def draw more attention from the LG, or should, if they are vigilant and doing their job properly. But you swimming laps of 2 breaths per 25, nah you likely aint even a "concern".

ETA: I would guess old school coaches wouldn't even consider a 3/5/7/9 or 1/2 breaths per 25 type as "hypoxic" work would be my take. Those guys and gals seemed to be on "no breathing" for lengths of pool as their standard, and if you breathed, you had to do it all over again, etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 11, 21 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that the OP said his problem with flip turns is that he can't breathe, I don't see why he would do any hypoxic drills and just make swimming more miserable. I say breathe more; take as many breaths as you need to feel comfortable. Sneak a breath coming into the turn and don't feel like you have to dolphin kick or take a couple of strokes before breathing as you come out of the turn. Breathing more might slow your turn, but it will still be faster than open turns and way less miserable than trying to mimic the experts. For me, anyway, the key early on was learning the basics in terms of distance from the wall to start the turn, the timing of the last stroke, and hand/ arm position. After I no longer had to think about those things and so was more relaxed during the actual flip, I gradually lengthened my non-breathing distance heading into and out of the turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said the pool and workouts are often about skill in the water including breath work and even turns.
Today was no different.

Warm up 10 minutes
750 of Skill work with fins It included fast kicking as well as doing butterfly and breast stroke with a flutter kick. The idea was to keep the motion moving forward.

Main set was 3 times through
150 at base
2 X 100 IM at Base + 15
3 X 50 at Base +20
Each round the 50’s changed.
Round 1 25 fast into the turn then 25 easy
Round 2 25 easy then push hard off the wall into 25 fast
Round 3 50 Fast

Final
5 X 50 Pull lose a breath each 50
5 X 50 Pull Lose a stroke each 50
5 X 50 Pull Descend 1-5.

If you can’t flip turn it’s going to be really challenging to do this in the allotted time of 1:15. There was one IM that I did my flip turn off back stroke, pulled for breast stroke and had to basically stop to catch my breath. I am grateful every day that we have pools open and that two pools within 15 minutes of home offer Master’s Swimming with a coach on deck to help out. I am constantly asking them for help with my skill.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as the breakout stroke- simply follow the rule.....Every time you breath on the 1st stroke off the wall, you owe yourself a push up. So either you'll get good at it finally or you'll have great arm muscle definition.

So I looked at some Ledecky and a lot of other top mens videos, and for the life of me, I cannot see where folks are "not" taking a breath off the walls in the distance events. I know it has been taught for over 60/70 years that way, and has been ingrained into just about every generation going way back, except for the past couple. I also know a ton of coaches that are still stuck in this old paradigm too, but time to upgrade from the 1990s', no?

And over the years the old thought of breathing less off the walls was ok in the 200's and down, but I even see in the 100 a lot of guys breathing off the walls. About the last race left is the 50 short course where folks dont breath off the wall anymore, and pretty sure that race has nothing to do whatsoever with our type of swimming..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5oRo75BX0
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot see where folks are "not" taking a breath off the walls in the distance events.
---
I watched a few of the turns, focusing on the top 3 swimmers in the heat (lanes 1,2,5). What I see are that the first stroke is with the left arm and the breath is on the right side, which is their 2nd stroke. This is what I do in the pool and what AJ describes above. So, in a sense, it's not necessarily taking a breath right off the walls, but it's pretty darn close.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, in a sense, it's not necessarily taking a breath right off the walls, but it's pretty darn close. //

You are right, they would have to do an open turn to take an actual breath "off" the walls.. (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Once you learn the Gary Hall breathing pattern, it becomes easy to do a double breath into the wall, and out of it too. Those two things allow a good swimmer to get a much longer breakout without cost, and AOC swimmers enough air to just be able to do the dam things...

Who is this Gary Hall person?? What does he know about swimming? Is it Snr or Jnr? Do you know him monty?
Last edited by: Amnesia: Feb 11, 21 15:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We’d go 20x25 sprint no breath @ 30 at the end of a workout. The coach would time everyone to make sure you were actually sprinting. So most of the guys I swam with would typically have to go around 10-12 seconds for the 25 to not get dinged by the coach. Also, if anyone during the set took a breath, we’d have to start over.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We used to do what our coach called "Lung-busters" at the end of workouts. I think it was 6x75 as 25 underwater into a flip turn (no breath) into a 25 no breath swimming into a flip turn (no breath) into a 25 max sprint. On as much rest as you needed, but if you failed it didn't count as a rep. That 25 max was meant to simulate the last 25 of a 100 in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
monty wrote:
Once you learn the Gary Hall breathing pattern, it becomes easy to do a double breath into the wall, and out of it too. Those two things allow a good swimmer to get a much longer breakout without cost, and AOC swimmers enough air to just be able to do the dam things...

Who is this Gary Hall person?? What does he know about swimming? Is it Snr or Jnr? Do you know him monty?

What are his credentials?
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
monty wrote:

Does he even have any?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Right so I just think the 1 length = hypoxic work is the very reason why ppl are drowning of shallow water blackout. Thus why I’m saying I your already past your normal breath hold and your not there yet....fucking breath over worrying about getting that final 5m to he wall, especially or your in a bit of a panic.

1 full length, no breath (or 1 breath at the start technically) doesn’t need to be the “standard” hypoxic set thus for athletes I tell them breath when needed, they already have held their breath longer than normal, and accomplished the goal.

Ok gotcha :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

So I looked at some Ledecky and a lot of other top mens videos, and for the life of me, I cannot see where folks are "not" taking a breath off the walls in the distance events. I know it has been taught for over 60/70 years that way, and has been ingrained into just about every generation going way back, except for the past couple. I also know a ton of coaches that are still stuck in this old paradigm too, but time to upgrade from the 1990s', no?

And over the years the old thought of breathing less off the walls was ok in the 200's and down, but I even see in the 100 a lot of guys breathing off the walls. About the last race left is the 50 short course where folks dont breath off the wall anymore, and pretty sure that race has nothing to do whatsoever with our type of swimming..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5oRo75BX0

Yeah, back in the 80's, we were coached that the ideal was to breath only between the flags. In retrospect, it was a rather stupid idea. And it didn't really work for anything over a 200. Coach would get on me for "giving in" and breathing in and out of the wall on the back half of a 500 race, saying that's what slowed me down. Yeah, I doubt the oxygen deficit on the front half had anything to do with slowing down.

I still take one stroke before a breath off the wall in a 100. It's just a matter of an ingrained habit of pulling first with my right, while my 100 breathing pattern is 2/4 to the left. With better streamline technique and a dolphin kick, I'm close to the flags on the way out of a turn before the first stoke now anyway.

As for short-course 50's, it's still a no breath event for me.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 13, 21 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I doubt the oxygen deficit on the front half had anything to do with slowing down. //

It is a lot like how power is used in cycling now, just looking at one metric and thinking it is all that matters. Ya, in retrospect it is easy for most of us to see how silly not breathing at any race other than a 50 is just plain counterproductive. And of course the further you go, the more important all the breaths you can take become in a race. Of course taking no breaths is as streamlined and pretty as one can get, but folks just forget the cost of all that beauty.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turn Breathing - Breathing into the wall/ Breakout Stroke [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
monty wrote:

Does he even have any?

Classic thread, all with good grace
Quote Reply

Prev Next