Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a beautiful new bike. I may give it a look.

Assuming this bike has some nice improvements in technology which do you think will happen next?

A. All of it's technology will be proven to be a marketing ruse

B. On proving this bike has actual technology that makes a rider faster the UCI will declare it illegal.

-Jeff

--------------------------

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [jsfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsfarmer wrote:
This is a beautiful new bike. I may give it a look.

Assuming this bike has some nice improvements in technology which do you think will happen next?

A. All of it's technology will be proven to be a marketing ruse

B. On proving this bike has actual technology that makes a rider faster the UCI will declare it illegal.

-Jeff

Neither.

C. Just as with the Specialized Soloist, which created the category, or the Felt AR, or Scott's new aero road bike, or the Ridley Noah, the bike will be legal under current UCI rules AND it will make your faster.

As much as the UCI might wish for everyone to go back to wool jerseys and shorts and 32 spoke box section rims and leather "helmets," those aren't the rules. You can use equipment to gain a competitive advantage. Teams do it all the time. Your proposed A or B totally disregards the reality of the UCI rules and all of the technologically advantageous equipment in use today.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Seat Post is WAY too high, and what the heck is up with that ceramic tile. That must be a lab or something.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for it because I am in the market for a new Specialized and just put in a order for the Tarmac but may change that after seeing this beauty. Any hints on how much this machine is going to cost me?Rappstar?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ceramic tile on the floor is in the McLaren F1 Garage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, that is one sexy bike! I see one replacing my old Talon in the hopefully not too distant future.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
C. Just as with the Specialized Soloist

Ummm, really?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't really do it for me. For a large company that is a little later to the aero road game than most I would have expected something that looked like an advancement over the competition. This bike to me looks like one of the open mold frames from Asia - a dime a dozen.

Of course this is based off one side on shot with no further details, but I still.

I find it underwhelming.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
C. Just as with the Specialized Soloist, which created the category, or the Felt AR, or Scott's new aero road bike, or the Ridley Noah, the bike will be legal under current UCI rules AND it will make your faster.

As has already been pointed out, I think you might have gotten the producer of the Soloist wrong ;-)

Secondly, although the Soloist models brought the "acceptability" of the concept of an aero road bike to "the masses"...I don't know if I'd say that they "created the category". There have been MANY predecessors to the Soloist that could be considered "aero road bikes"...the LOOK KG models, or the Hooker Cat 1 from the '90s for example.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very excited for the release of this bike. Am looking forward to seeing a few numbers regarding drag, etc. Now I will have to decided if I'm going to upgrade my current Tarmac to the SL3 or this bike next year....

http://flexthatframe.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [Bana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well if they made it all neato looking just for the sake of it, it wouldn't be aero.

Bana wrote:
It doesn't really do it for me. For a large company that is a little later to the aero road game than most I would have expected something that looked like an advancement over the competition. This bike to me looks like one of the open mold frames from Asia - a dime a dozen.

Of course this is based off one side on shot with no further details, but I still.

I find it underwhelming.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [Bana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bana wrote:

I find it underwhelming.

From this first glance, about the only thing I'm disappointed in is the shifter cable entry to the frame...and it also looks like they may have been able to take a little more advantage of the frame fillet rule at the top tube/head tube/down tube junction...but, maybe they gave a little for "styling" (or weight?) on that front.

I'm very interested in seeing the data on this bike myself...looks are one thing...performance is another ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of the issues Felt had with the DA. It was legal, it was illegal and then it was redesigned. All because of a little curve in the downtube.

It's interesting that F1 tends toward being pro-technology to the point of whoever is winning this year is the one who read therule book most creatively. Versus the UCI which seems bent on not stopping the progress of technology so much as trying to slow it as much as possible. And what we have here is a F1 team working on a UCI legal bike.

-Jeff

--------------------------

TEAM HONEY BADGER
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JollyRogers wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Ummm, really?

I'm claiming jetlag...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
JollyRogers wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Ummm, really?

I'm claiming jetlag...

Any word from Mark yet? :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I agree with you on that. I guess I was just expecting some part of the frame to sport an aero feature that we haven't seen a dozen times before. When the transition came out it looked different and new, same with the Shiv. With the Venge, I find it just looks like every other "aero" road frame out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well there is one, look at the head tube!

Bana wrote:
Oh I agree with you on that. I guess I was just expecting some part of the frame to sport an aero feature that we haven't seen a dozen times before. When the transition came out it looked different and new, same with the Shiv. With the Venge, I find it just looks like every other "aero" road frame out there.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bana wrote:

Perhaps the designers at the Big "S" have learned their lesson about being too "different and new" in respect to dealing with the UCI for models that require their approval? I'm sure they don't want to re-live the Shiv experience any time soon...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like that Specialized venge link is now live! hurry!!!!!! go look!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the link:

http://www.specialized.com/...1001&scname=Road

2 complete bikes and a frameset.....as expected a bit pricey too....

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
Looks like that Specialized venge link is now live! hurry!!!!!! go look!!!!!

Thanks!

I'll take one of these please (although from the timeline it appears that the UCI didn't like some of the initial design concepts):

As hot as the Venge looks...that above is REALLY hot! <drool>...

BTW, I love how Chris D'A. explains that his first ideas on the subject occurred after he'd setup a Transition with drop bars just to test out the brakes...and then realized: Shit...this makes for a FAST road bike! ;-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 17, 11 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So when can we expect these to be available?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep saying this, a few years ago I would have never considered riding a Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Scott or Giant and now I certainly clearly would.

The world has gone mad. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Finally...Specialized enters the aero road bike fray. [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wait? so the DA model that is NOT electronic is $1200 more than the SRAM RED?

granted $8k for the RED.........vs $9.2k for the DA has me out of the market....... but still?

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Thought the same thing Herbert when I looked through the timeline.

It's like my transition, but with road geometry. Drool.
Quote Reply

Prev Next