Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you... fyi.. I tried to signup for updates and it's not working correctly. I put in my email address from gmail and it's greyed out.

If we have IMCHOO in September this would be ideal to use it at this race.

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Just thought I would introduce myself - my name is Keith and I am part of the Field Marketing Team at Form (and also have been on Slowtwitch for about a year, although I am more of a reader than active poster). I did attend and help out at the Kona Slowtwitch gathering last year though (you may recognize me from the sign-in table!).

It looks like the last time our goggles came up in the forum here was when Lionel started wearing them in his videos, but I just wanted to give everyone the update that we have just announced that open water features will be coming to our goggles later this summer! These features will simply be an update to the existing goggles, so if you already have them you definitely won't be left out. You can learn more at our website here:

https://www.formswim.com/openwater

And here's a youtube video featuring them in open water-mode as well:

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

I'm also happy to answer any questions, either here or via PM.

Thanks!

I am perfectly comfortable with swearing. I don't do it around my kids too often mostly because I want them to learn to express themselves without resorting to swearing. But the idea that they don't hear swear words, come on, that ship has sailed.

So: you advertise on Practice with Pancakes. Cool. I am glad they have a sponsor. I don't have the demographic data of who watches that, but I assume it is mostly kids. Why the do you have a commercial that ends in "holy shit" playing to a target audience of kids? I am not trying to play "gotcha." I really am asking. It seems weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Sorry for the late reply. I am based in Sweden
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [Swutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries! From Sweden, the best place to buy our goggles currently is directly from our website (https://www.formswim.com/). I believe international shipping to Sweden is usually about $27 USD. Right now we are having a promotion (in conjunction with Lionel Sander's latest video review of our goggles) for $30 USD off the goggles though, which evens out the cost of international shipping!

Feel free to private message me if you have any questions.
Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there!

Got a pair of googles for open water swimming, but am having a hard time figuring out how to best use them now, and since it isn't compatible with my watch, it may be a permanent workaround. I put the goggles into "unknown" pool length to try to just get interval times. Any advice on this?

Thanks,

Meg
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [MeggieB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Meg!

Thanks for your question, I would be happy to provide some tips for this! That's exactly how we would currently recommend setting your goggles up - with an unknown pool length, you'll be able to have a running timer within your display so you can do interval-type swimming (eg. 5 minutes at pace, 2 minutes easy). If you turn around/stop after each interval, you should be able to reset the timer for your next interval as well (ie. trick your goggles into thinking you turned/rested to trigger a change in display).

The ideal set-up for doing this would be to additionally pair your goggles with a Polar OH1 Heart Rate Pod, as this would allow you to also display your real-time heart rate while you are swimming.

I will say that this won't have to be a permanent work around though, as there will be a mode for open-water swimming specifically designed for users without a compatible watch (that's all I'm allowed to say about that though, the rest you will have to stay tuned until release later this summer!)

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Keith
Last edited by: kerikstri: Jun 30, 20 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there!

Just came across this thread and wanted to ask something particular to pool swimming: Do these goggles display pace per 100 in real time or will this pace just be updated when reaching the end of a pool lane?

Thank you :)
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [CerveloP5-Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Thanks for your question! The later is correct - currently for pool swimming, the goggles will only update the pace/100m when you reach the end of each length. You could, for example, program the goggles to display your pace/100m from the last 25m as soon as you turn (ie. in the middle of an interval it will update every turn). You can also program the goggles to display your average pace/100m over an entire interval when you are at the wall resting (ie. at the end of each interval).

Currently, the only real-time metric that you can monitor is your heart rate when the goggles are paired with a Polar OH1 monitor.

Although I will say that our design team is always hard at work with updating our algorithms and real time stroke analysis is definitely on their radar!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Everyone (again!)

Rather than starting a new thread for this, I thought I would just add it to this one. We at Form are hosting a Webinar series! This will be the first one of a number of webinars covering a range of swimming-related topics. The format will be a brief introduction/presentation followed by an opportunity for a Q&A where we will be answering your questions live.

Here's some information about it and you are able to sign up at the link below:

Join the FORM team for the first in what will be an ongoing series featuring an introduction to FORM's groundbreaking technology in swimming. We will highlight how introducing relevant metrics in real time can improve the swim experience and allow you to swim smarter and faster. This webinar will include a live Q&A session where we will answer questions from the audience.
When: July 9th at 10am PST
Webinar Link: https://www.bigmarker.com/...M-Smart-Swim-Goggles

Hope to see some of you there!

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that the host for this webinar will be 2-time Olympian (2004, 2012), Scott Dickens! So he definitely knows a thing or two about how to swim fast!!
Last edited by: kerikstri: Jul 1, 20 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Keith,
my new Form goggles arrived yesterday; thanks for the discount code. The initial setup / pairing was trouble free. I haven't been able to try it out yet and have a few questions.

1) The limit on the number of data fields is 2? Any plans to expand that to maybe 3 or 4?

2) This one may have some interaction with any watch it's paired with. For the pool, if I have a workout defined is there a way for the goggles to display or step me through it?

3) Can you say if there are any plans for an SDK for this device (roughly similar to what Garmin has done for their devices) ? Alternatively, if I write a new swim data field for a Garmin 945, can I get that displayed on the Form HMD?

4) for your open water functionality, can you say if there will be any displayable data comparing my current location to a defined course (similar to what iolite did)?

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by: chrisesposito: Jul 3, 20 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

Awesome, I'm glad to hear you were able to get set-up trouble free! Here are my answers to your questions (from my understanding of your questions, let me know if I missed anything you were hoping to get answered):

1) Yes, the limit on the number of fields you can see at one time is two - it will always be time on the top of the display (either interval time or rest time) plus another metric of your choosing (shown on the bottom of the display). However, this chosen metric can be varied depending on where you are in the pool (eg. in the middle of the length vs turning at a wall vs resting at a wall). In addition, during the rest screen you are able to cycle through up to 3 metrics along the bottom of the display.

I believe the reason for the display having only two data fields at a time is from our user testing early in product development. With too many data fields being displayed, most users found it to be overwhelming. However, I will take that feedback back to the development team as a potential optional user customization to look into including.

2) Currently, no there is no way to have your goggles step you through a pre-set workout (I'm a paper+ziploc bag guy to bring my workout poolside). However, I will say our design team is always hard at work looking at adding new features.

3) From my knowledge, I don't believe we have plans for an SDK, but I'll double check with the design team if that is something that is on our radar.

4) I can't give too many details about the open water functionality until we officially launch, but I can say this has been a common feature requested by triathletes/open water swimmers (ie. course routing) (and our design team always likes to do their best to try to make user requested features come to life if they can!)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair after watching Lionel and reading this thread.

They arrived fedex in Hong Kong in less than a week and shipping was under ten dollars. Bravo guys. Lots of US companies rape you on the shipping.

Review after one usage:

Mode: Interval
Pool: 25m
Workout 2500m Pyramid Swim 100-200-300 etc with pull buoy. No flip turns because I had recently had PRP and wasn’t pushing off with left leg.
Setup:
Swim: Interval time and interval distance
Turn: Interval time and time/100m this interval
Rest: Rest timer and total distance

First off the gear is high quality as expected with a nice case and lots of nose bridges (Standard fit me)

I can see why Lionel likes them so much - having all the data is really great. Not having to push the rest button on the watch is also super. I worked harder knowing my pace and distance constantly.

It will be an easy choice to always bring them. I think it may the most game changing gadget since Varia Bike rader.

There was one issue I want to see If it repeats. Twice during an interval it reset. I didn’t do anything different it just started a new interval. My turn was the same, not longer.

I imagine this will happen occasionally and here is my suggestion - for the first lap of an interval it only shows time in the interval and no second data field. Make the second data field for the first lap be “last Interval Distance” so if I’m doing a 500m interval and it drops at 175 I can just look and know I have to do 325 more for this interval.

I ran my 945 at the same time to track it and did manual rests so I was able to recover but yeah, that’s annoying.

One thing that worked right is that during rests i sometimes take my goggles up on my forehead and it didn’t start the interval so that was good.

Amusing thing, after a while I had a bunch of pool employees scrutinizing me (this being hong kong and all) and finally at a rest one pointed at me and said “you have camera!!!! Not allowed!!!!” Luckily my coach was there and she straightened things out.

Then I immediately hade 10 junior swim kids around me ages 8-12 who all had to see them and I imagine if you make kid size ones you will have a prestige christmas stocking stuffer this year. They even came up to me in the locker room and said “cool goggles”
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting that! im a back of the pack swimmer and i am really considering picking some of these up for open water swims to help me know how slow im going. :)

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks so much for the great review! We always love hearing back from our customers, especially when they come with a fantastic possible improvement! I will definitely be stealing that feedback and giving it as a suggestion to our product development team (don't worry, I'll give you credit though!).

Regarding it triggering an accidental rest during an interval, this can happen occasionally (especially with touch-turns, I essentially never have it happen with flip turns). I think you may find that over time (as you get more and more familiar with the goggles), you may identify specific movement patterns on the turns that can trigger it and, in turn, specific ways to turn that avoid triggering rest.

And I always enjoy hearing how people set up their "dashboards" for swim/turn/rest. I like your set-up - one thing I'll note just in case you weren't aware, is that you can set up to three metrics to scroll during rest (just seeing that you chose to display one, so wanted to make sure you knew you weren't limited to one there). The turn and swim screens you are limited to just one metric though (plus time).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, that is a great story about the comments you got at the pool! You should see the other swimmers reactions when the office heads to our local public pool on Wednesdays for our lunchtime swim session - typically 10 or so of us show up with our goggles and all jump in around the same time (we must look a lot like a group of cyborgs/aliens to people who have never seen our goggles before).
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome to hear, I think (I may be biased...) that you won't be a BOP swimmer for long with our goggles! Feel free to PM me before you buy them, and I can offer you a discount!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Although I will say that our design team is always hard at work with updating our algorithms and real time stroke analysis is definitely on their radar!

Thanks for your answer!

Regarding real time data: Are there any metrics coming this year via firmware update? Would be pleased to be informed about anything new here :)
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [CerveloP5-Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi again,

I can't give any comments regarding the timeline for new updates, but I can say that new features like this would be simple firmware updates (so no need to worry about missing out on new features if you are an existing owner).

As soon as I get confirmation on new features being released though, I'll definitely update everyone on here immediately!

I believe the next release will be open water, which is coming very soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my goggles in and I've gone from very excited about the open water feature to potentially very disappointed.. the Garmin 935 is one of the most popular models out there right now and I have no plans on upgrading soon. I'd imagine the vast majority of 935 owners would agree.

Will this be compatible at launch? Very cool update. I hope I can use it.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Jul 4, 20 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MrRabbit!

Its great to hear you got your pair!

Unfortunately, the reason we don’t support the Forerunner 935 is that despite it supporting ConnectIQ data fields, the 935 currently doesn't allow data fields to use BLE and that’s how our connection between the watch and goggles works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Hi MrRabbit!

Its great to hear you got your pair!

Unfortunately, the reason we don’t support the Forerunner 935 is that despite it supporting ConnectIQ data fields, the 935 currently doesn't allow data fields to use BLE and that’s how our connection between the watch and goggles works.

ya... well i wont be getting a form goggle then. im a 935 user and not interested in changing watches.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Jul 4, 20 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well crap.. not sure I can really use these then. Got 'em thinking this update would work for me. Not opened yet so they will have to be returned unfortunately. Very cool for the group of 945 users though. I'll be jealous.

Thanks for reply.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Jul 4, 20 19:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any deals coming up (Black Friday?)
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [soslow1387] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I PMed you! I haven't heard of any widespread deals coming up, but I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear anything!

Edit: I just realized that Lionel Sander's review launch code is still active for 15% off. The code is lionel through our website!
Last edited by: kerikstri: Jul 5, 20 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I understood correctly, the goggles will show you the average speed each lap in the pool as opposed to a 'real-time' speed? If so, how will this translate to open water?
Quote Reply

Prev Next