Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone!

Just thought I would introduce myself - my name is Keith and I am part of the Field Marketing Team at Form (and also have been on Slowtwitch for about a year, although I am more of a reader than active poster). I did attend and help out at the Kona Slowtwitch gathering last year though (you may recognize me from the sign-in table!).

It looks like the last time our goggles came up in the forum here was when Lionel started wearing them in his videos, but I just wanted to give everyone the update that we have just announced that open water features will be coming to our goggles later this summer! These features will simply be an update to the existing goggles, so if you already have them you definitely won't be left out. You can learn more at our website here:

https://www.formswim.com/openwater

And here's a youtube video featuring them in open water-mode as well:

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

I'm also happy to answer any questions, either here or via PM.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!
Mine arrived just prior to lockdown starting so have not been able to use them yet.
Very keen to see what they can do in the open water as well!
Thanks for the update and for making this backwards compatible!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have to wear a watch to have this functionality? I'll give it some thought and get back to you.
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool! Please let me know if you have any questions for setting them up once you are able to get back into a pool.
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In order to use the GPS features, the goggles will need to be linked to a watch. Our current list of supported watches is: Garmin 945, Fenix 5 Plus, Fenix 6 Pro, or the Apple Watch Series 5/4/3, although our goal is to eventually make this feature available on many other compatible watches.

I will say that for pool swimming, the FORM goggles definitely do not need to be paired to a watch (I come from a competitive swimming background, so I have never wore a watch in the pool even before getting a pair of FORM goggles). Our goggles will automatically (and independently) track and display metrics including splits, stroke rate, stroke count, pace, distance, and heart rate. They can then push this data to a variety of locations for post-swim analysis including our internal FORM app, Strava, and Training Peaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race legal?
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [bigsas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For triathlon events for sure (imagine it like using a watch for running or a computer for biking during a race)! For pool swimming events they are not Fina-legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When it's compatible with the 935xt I'll get one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't really look at your watch during the swim portion.
Has this been officially USAT sanctioned?
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [bigsas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe USAT has an official list of sanctioned devices (the only rule regarding devices I was able to find in their rule book was:

"5.8 Illegal Equipment. Any participants who any time uses wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, personal audio device, or any other item described in Section 3.4(i) shall be assessed a variable time penalty.").

Generally, bike computers and running GPS watches are allowed, so I don't see any reason that goggles displaying your distance would not be allowed. I will definitely investigate this further for you though and return with a concrete answer (either from one of my colleagues or directly from USAT).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

I am very interested in getting a pair, but I wanted to make sure before I buy that I would be able to race in Ironman and USAT sanctioned races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the Fenix 5 (no plus)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is about open water events.
FINA?
USA Swimming?
US Masters Swimming?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our goggles are not FINA-approved for pool swimming, and I believe this also applies to OWS events. The following statement is in their rulebook:

"OWS 6.10 No swimmer shall be permitted to use or wear any device which may be an aid to their speed, endurance or buoyancy. Approved swimsuit, goggles, a maximum of two (2) caps, nose clip and earplugs may be used."

The second section sets out exactly what is permitted to be on the swimmers competing and GPS devices are not listed.

For USA Swimming, they have the following statement that would rule out being able to use our goggles:

".1 No swimmer shall be allowed to use or wear any device that may be an aid to his/her speed, endurance, or buoyancy. A maximum of two (2) caps may be used."

For USA Masters Swimming OWS Events, they have the following statement that would rule out being able to use our goggles:

"D Swimmers are not permitted to wear or use any device or substance to help their speed, pace, navigation, buoyancy, or endurance during a swim (such as wetsuits, webbed gloves, fins, snorkels, buoyant armbands, audio players, etc.). Medical identification items may be worn. Any kind of tape on the body or flat armband is not permitted unless approved by the referee. Any devices used to maintain body heat are not permitted, except for those listed in article 303.4.2A"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I have each a pair of FORM goggles, and we love them for the pool.
Now, being that I can pair mine to my 945 for OWS, that is way cool. Guess I will loan my 945 to the misses when she goes to OWS training.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is great to hear, I'm so happy you both like them! Stay tuned for the official open water launch coming later this summer, and you will be all set to swim with GPS distance in your display (I'll admit that I've been lucky enough to help out with testing and its an unreal experience!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When they work with 935 I’ll get a paid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any plans on opening up a distribution based in Europe?
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [Swutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Swutch,

Where in Europe are you located? We are actually on the local amazon website for a few extra countries (beyond North America). If you give me details on which country though, I can advise the best way to purchase a pair!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m interested in these goggles.
I have a few questions.

Do they have an internal battery or are they rechargeable what is the charging cycle time?

Can you replace items, like the actual goggle plastic, or bands? I’m wondering about durability, seems I replace my goggles reasonably often as they end up hard to see through and stop fogging.

What is the best way to purchase from Japan and what’s your returns policy?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [TB2019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TB2019,

Thanks for your interest in our goggles! So to answer your questions:

Battery: they have a rechargeable battery and you get 16 hours of swimming time per charge. They also fully charge in 45 minutes. This is great for when you forget to charge them before a swim as you can simply plug them in for 10 minutes and still be able to get enough of a charge for a full swim session!

Replaceable Items: all components (gaskets, strap, non-display side lens) are fully replaceable. The only component that isn't replaceable is the display-side lens.

Purchase from Japan: the best way to buy in Japan is through our US website (https://www.formswim.com/). And we have a 45-day fit guarantee - within the first 45 days you can send them back and you will be fully refunded.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just thought I would bump this thread with Lionel's latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUkIKrfMys

He does an in-depth review of our goggles and how he views them as a training tool. I will note he mentions open water as being available, but it hasn't quite been launched yet! The best update I can provide is that it will be launching later this summer!

Again, I'm happy to answer any questions (either here or via direct message)
Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used FORM for several months, and love the features... particularly the lap counter for long swims! Former sprint freestylers always benefit from feedback to help with “impulse control” early in a set of 10 x 200’s! I’ve been opening my triathlons with an OWS for forty years, and am not sure that I will focus on my pace. There is significant variation in temperature and conditions, and I am getting pretty dialed-in to using HR during my longer pool swims...available with a POLAR add-on. Recently, I have been increasing my long (pool) swim pace by focusing on “relaxing” my stroke, something potentially reflected in HR. Adrenalin is not my friend at the gun... unless its a 50 Free ;-) Easing my HR to a proven level is my strategy out of T1 and T2 as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you... Once the open water is available I will be looking to purchase this product. Lionel did a great job with his review yesterday.

I have a Garmin 920 and will be upgrading my watch in the coming weeks to a Fenix...

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: FORM Smart Swim Goggles Announces Open Water [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome to hear and I'm really happy you enjoyed his video! I agree, he did a fantastic job with his review - I'm part of the field team for FORM and I'll definitely be stealing some of his lines to reuse when I'm at events.

And that is perfectly timed for an upgrade to your watch too - open water will be launching later this summer and will immediately be compatible with both the fenix 5 Plus and fenix 6 Pro model lines. Feel free to direct message me if you would like me to confirm compatibility before purchasing your new watch (I've found the fenix series slightly confusing with the number of different models)
Quote Reply

Prev Next