Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally like the Kid n Play/kick and play reference as much as the thread title :-)

Getting back in the pool, so this is a guppy workout. Do my shoulders and lungs still work?
About 1100 scy, about 25 minutes.

50/200/50/200/50 on 1:00/50 pace.

5x100s (swim/im kick/im/fr kick/drills).

EDIT: To folks getting and being thankful for advice: searching for 'swim advice' on Slowtwitch will yield so much excellent and generous input. In the past few years (maybe since Slowman's guppy series?) the swim community on here has really taken off. It's a goldmine -- listen to these folks. Thanks from me, too! That said, this advice -- " Look up grant Hackett mid season speed set" -- I am just going to 100% ignore to preserve my ego :-).
Last edited by: apmoss: Jan 4, 24 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I personally like the Kid n Play/kick and play reference as much as the thread title :-)

that was unintentional. I just like to goof around in water, always have

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first wet in the new year, winter swimming is fine but winter getting-into-the-cold-pool oh how I hate that part..
usually swim at the E rec center which keeps the water at 84deg for the bluehair crowd. Some days from work the N rec center is closer, that is kept at 77deg for the HS swim teams. 77 feels cold in winter.. ugh

4x400IM with the usual cheat, fly is only 50yds then 50 breast to fill in. 7:50-8:05, grinding today.

recently had a sleep study done which found my blood oxygenation goes down to 80% during sleep, not healthy. I used to go down to about 88-90 during hard run efforts, tested with a pulse oximeter on a 5k and found levels at about 82-3 on the longer hills. That tracks very well with perceived exertion, below 84 is exactly when I feel the need to walk. Mostly anything sustained under 88 is considered time to go to the ER..
So there's something going on there, might account for the last year of unusually sluggish performances.. my 50 time is unchanged, can still get 30sec or better with a push, longer sets slow to a crawl..
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try it and adjust the send offs. It’s a good one

Just lots of low effort swimming today. Holding 10 plus seconds over 1500 pace just keeping things ticking over. 6km long course.
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks!
Got back in again yesterday too. another 3200.
Was able to do a 120 send off.. but im SCY not LCM haha.. Ill get back.

Feels so good tho.. that tiredness from swimming is like a warm blanket. I love it.

More to come!

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I like that feeling too. Makes you want to just sit on the lounge or have a nap

Short course meters. Going to a potentially surprise wedding today and staying away from home
so shortened my swim.

Short course meters
250 back 250 free 500 free 300 free 4x50 fast 15m
8x100 on 115
1234 easy freestyle 4x100 easy im 4321 easy free
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also a fan of warm blanket feeling of post swim tiredness

yesterday 9.33 mi run, 3 mi walk
today 3100 yds free and enough kick to get to at least 4k

12 x 50 on 55
50 kick
10 x 100 on 140
50 kick
8 x 50 on 50
50 kick
6 x 100 on 140
50 kick
4 x 50 on 50
50 kick
3 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
more kicking and goofing off

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ate some Wahlburgers last night. went down really well and woke up keen to swim

360 units of rotator cuff band work
2215151155 back / FRIM 10x50 mix of different types of freestyle warming up
1234 6x100 6x150 (all on 125 cycle so far hold 119-121 pace) 5x200 (as 228,229,230,229,229) on 3
100 easy
Just wanted to set up the main set with getting HR steady then spike at end
600 3x200 3x150 3x100 3x50 easy
4x10 5kg arm raises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thinking "get that post swim tired" helped me push today
(9.54 mi run + 2.7 mi walk yesterday)
3000 ish free - what I'm going to write will add up to 3200 but I miscounted something I think (not the 100s), goofed off a bit so probably 4000 total with the kicking goof off fun

first time actually looking at a split in awhile. These are scy. I'm working so hard to get breathing on the R to be more natural, and almost all the breaths I took today were on the R side. I've decided these are not sucky splits for having just really picked up R side breathing.

6 x 50 on :55
6 x (100 fast, 25 kick) 1:22, 19, 20, the rest 18-19
6 x 50 on :50
6 x (100 fast, 25 kick) 1:20, rest 18s
6 x 50 on :50
150 + 200 + 250 swim, 25 kick between them
5 x 100 on 1:40
aforementioned playing around

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you bilateral Breathe or you just doing right side at the moment? Rolled over last night and gave myself a huge right lat cramp. Cramped up first strokes in the pool so 200m today and then go home :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dammit - only 3 sessions done during week 1 of this year due to an effing cold. But I returned this afternoon and felt ok on a short (1275m total) session.

I hope to swim 6x this week.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you bilateral Breathe or you just doing right side at the moment? Rolled over last night and gave myself a huge right lat cramp. Cramped up first strokes in the pool so 200m today and then go home :)

wow, I don't think my lats have ever cramped. Well done!

Right now just R side unless I am super super desperate for oxygen and absolutely have to sneak in a L breath. I might've done that maybe 3 times total today. The R side breathing seems to allow me to swim more than I can - shoulder wise - if I bilateral breathe. Plus I think it's good to develop anyway and now is a good time.

I intend to have a comeback in which I have an awesomely symmetric stroke with beautiful bilateral breathing. It will be a highly underappreciated party trick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I intend to have a comeback in which I have an awesomely symmetric stroke with beautiful bilateral breathing. It will be a highly underappreciated party trick.

ha excellent.. I've been trying to motivate myself to get to work on R breathing, never have managed it in over fifty years ;-)
can swim bilateral comfortably, swimming R only is just unnatural..
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
can swim bilateral comfortably, swimming R only is just unnatural..

that's about where I am with it, I guess

the thing I need to work on on R side breathing is being able to do it every stroke instead of every other; I can do it every other comfortably and oxygen wise that'll let me do 100s but longer than that it's not so hot
also need to work on rotating my R hip "down" more (IDK if that makes sense to anyone else)

yesterday 9.6 mi run + 5k walk
today 3300 yd free + 70 min or so kicking/goofing off. Later start than usual due to the storm in ME - thought I might be stuck in the house all day, so very grateful I got to swim

2 x (12 x 50 swim, 50 kick) on :55, :50
6 x 100 on 140
50 kick
6 x 150 on 230
50 kick
12 x 50 on 50
aforementioned goofing off

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third swim! and ahhhhh the feels...

2800 total

mymainset:
5 x through...
5 x 75 on 1:00
1 x 25 easy on 1:00

Gotta say, I didnt think much of this but by the end I was smoked. I know I am coming off a big layoff so I need to be kind to myself but wow, I was worn out. Ha. All good. did over 500 yards kicking too.
Back in the drink tomorrow!

daved

Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
ahhhhh the feels...

I know, right?
I'm very aware of how precious it is to be able to swim and have it feel good (my own stroke feeling like it is getting better. Feels ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha.. SO good. More of the same today

4100 total SCY... and some fatigue from tuesday. But my 4th swim and just loving it.

MyMainSet:
500 swim mod -- 6:00 (112s!!)
100 ez
5x100 on 1:50 -- 106s and 107s (very happy w this)
100 ez
10 x 50 on :45 -- 32s on all of them. (thought i might not hold it on #6 and 7 but got it done)
100 ez
12 x 25 on :30 4fly, 4bk, 4 br
12 x 25 Free 4on :20, 4 on :25 4 on :30
-----
wd

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's set (all SCM)

WARM Up:
400 swim or pull
200 Fin Kick

Main set - ALL FREE Roller coaster - NO Breaks - on X/100

100 - 200 - 400 - 200 -100 - 200 - 400 - 200 - 100
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the roller coaster!
Yesterday 8.9 mi run, half a mile walk
Today 3100 scy free and enough kick and goofing off to get to over 4000. Had to remind self over and over the goal isn’t fitness, it is pain free technique (hence the increased rest on 100s)

12 x 50 on 50
100 swim on 130
50 kick
12 x 50 on 50
2 x 100 swim on 130
50 kick
12 x 50 on 50
3 x 100 swim on 150
50 kick
12 x 50 on 50
100 swim
Kicked / goofed off

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2km TT effort for me today, was proper grim 😬
Finshed up in 27:18 so avg 1:22/100m pace (25m pool).
Happy and not happy with that at the same time.
Better than I have done before in a TT by a long way.
But need to be hitting 1:18-1:20 to make main groups in 70.3 Pro races I reckon.
Do think I am a better OW swimmer than short course as turns are so bad and not the tallest at 1.75m

https://www.strava.com/activities/10541808577/overview

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Last edited by: BenwGoodfellow: Jan 12, 24 5:14
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been delinquent in posting anything this month. Here's what I've done in the pool so far:

1/3: 3800scy
1000 warmup
4x ( 400 pull, 100 kick, 200 swim). No real interval, just a short rest between each.

1/4: 3500scy
2x[200 swim, 4x50 drill]
5x500 pull om 6:00. Started at 5:29 and descended down to 5:21
4x50 cruise

1/9: 3400scy
2x[200 swim, 4x50 drill]

800-600-400-200 tempo on 1:15 interval (held ~1:09/100 pace)
16x25 fast turnover on :30
4x50 easy

1/12: 5000scy
50x100
10 warmup as 3 swim/ 2 drill
10 swim, 10 pull x2 all on 1:25
round 1 swims ~1:07
round 1 pull ~ 1:04
round 2 swims 1:06-1:04
round 2 pull 1:03-1:01

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Dry January Is For Other People: The Fish Thread [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll be able to drop to 18-20 in a few years if you work at it

Would suggest swimming with people who can do that (and can be at or sub 1230 for a 1km scm ) or a coach who knows what they are doing. Height makes no difference at these speeds. It’s too slow where height makes any real difference. Swim with some older beasts who whip you. Motivating.

I was about 121-122 for a 2km scm in 2019. And I was absolutely fucked at the end. I can remember the time trial well. Now I could do that as a quick warm up or
Warm down.

Not trying to brag just saying what a few years could progress to as I’ve been exactly where you are. I’m now probably 7-8kg heavier so weight probably doesn’t matter. At around 10x100 on 1,15 in short course meters at the moment and that was on a very bad day with junk food the day before and too much fried food

Next stop on the bench mark is 10 x 100 on 120 for you. Good luck buddy

Pool was 29.3 today so just swam easy a bit. Didn’t really count or do anything hard for 1 hour 20 minutes. Want to do some more fist drill to get more forearm in the stroke

Tips for turns. Just make the rotation and spin over fast. Do it closer to the wall. That makes a big difference for sure. A fast spin and rotation can give you 1 second per 100. Maybe more if you’re quite bad at he moment. Under waters for distance swimmers is not a thing to worry about
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday - 2500 yd free + 750 or whatever kick

first time in awhile I've swum two days in a row, v happy that it felt ok. No-ego swim (which have been doing anyway) on account of second day in a row and really the goal is pain free and figure out the technique. I think the thing I figured out lately in relation to shoulder is timing of breathing on the R.

10 x 50 on 1
50 kick
4 x (100 swim, 25 kick)
2 x (150 swim, 25 kick)
200 swim
50 kick
100 swim
50 kick
4 x 50 on 1
50 kick
4 x (75 swim, 25 kick)
4 x (100 swim + 25 kick)
2 x 50 on 1
kicked a bit more

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice stringing a few together. Are you still doing a bit of fist drill? Finding that it makes me work the forearm more. Also do you try to do one goggle out of the water for a breath?

Did an ocean race today and took fourth overall. Beaten up the sand by a former nutri grain man and then some kids were 30 secs in front of us. Pretty tough going today, not easy to view the buoys or get in a rhythm. Keen for a nice flat one soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the fourth! IDK what "former nutri grain man" means?

I haven't done fist drill in awhile but I do think the amount of it I did really helped my stroke.

The goal is one goggle in, one out for a breath but I'm not sure how much I accomplish it. I'll have to see if I can actually notice that in the water or if I need to video to see it. (do others know if they manage one in, one out while swimming? A breath is so quick)

Quote Reply

Prev Next