Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
Nice work! How do you think your times compare to the half splits in a single standalone marathon. Does the overnight rest help or hurt?

I've mostly been doing 30-35 minute runs of around 4 miles with some hills. Without a lot of speed work or targeted training I was able to go within 5 minutes of a PR on the first day, and then within three minutes of that time the next day. Combined, it was around where I'd want to be for a marathon PR. The first day I held back a bit, and actually felt surprisingly good afterwards. I was a bit sore the next morning, but not too bad. I didn't warm up either day, whereas if I were trying to PR in a half, I would definitely run at least 2 miles beforehand. I ate smartly beforehand and after the first race, too, which I think helped (there's a nice Whole Foods 2 miles from the course, and loads of restaurants in the area). It was nice to not take it too seriously, but still to have a different kind of endurance challenge than I'm used to, and the atmosphere of the event was enjoyable.

The pain after the second race was a lot worse -- partly because I'm a bit under-trained for it (no taper, 5 lbs of winter weight (insulation)) and also because I really tried to build through the final three miles. But overall it was a blast. I also ran way more in two days than I would have without the races. The motivation of having the double also made me take a big bite out of the 100/100 in the opening weeks of that Challenge to prepare.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brrrrr ... ice and snow look cold. I don't miss that. Ran just under 7 mi today in some cool Hawaii rain.

I've pushed it a little in the past to hit the full 100, but this year I took my time recovering from the Honolulu Marathon. So far, so good, and I'll be happy with 80 runs in 100 days.

I'm building up both swimming and biking for my first 70.3 (Honu!), and if I'm lucky, a local lottery slot for the big dance in Konda. I figured the challenge will keep me honest with my running.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
back to back 30 min runs the past two days in sub -30c temps. Yowzers!!
Amazing how the body warms up though IF you dress for the conditions.

Anyone out running in +30c ??

it was cool here yesterday - around 26C. not sure we're getting up to the 30s this time of year but quite possible. I don't really notice until 32 or 33.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
shady wrote:
back to back 30 min runs the past two days in sub -30c temps. Yowzers!!
Amazing how the body warms up though IF you dress for the conditions.

Anyone out running in +30c ??

it was cool here yesterday - around 26C. not sure we're getting up to the 30s this time of year but quite possible. I don't really notice until 32 or 33.

It is cool here too......MINUS 26C (ambiant temp). I'm hitting the treadmill. No point having my lungs deal with this when I am planning to race in St. Croix and Texas in May.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-18f here with the wind chill. Tready for me as well. All though I refuse to break from my BarryP plan.. 2 miles just wont count today unless I want to run at a pace that will do me no good what so ever ;) Am able to log 3 runs a week. Will be interesting where I will end up in the standings in March doing it this way. I seem to move up a little bit each week anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took my first day off in 19 days today. It was a good call and probably a week overdue. I don't believe in streaks
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kept trying to get into the challenge but I have a pretty messed up knee that I'm breaking down and going to the Dr for. I avoid that route as long as I can because I have a high deductible but rest hasn't done squat to help and a short run on Tuesday has hobbled me for the rest of the week.

I'm joking with my manager that I'm getting my deductible out of the way early this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're into day 20 and depending on how many people have logged today's workout we have 80-100 athletes in the range of 20 run technically on pace for 100. However, as Joe pointed out, there is a place for days off running too, so listen to your bodies folks. The next 2-3 weeks is where we generally see the smarter athletes emerge quite nicely, and people going a bit overboard may have things catch up with them. Don't let the statistics of general runner progression catch up to you by ignoring things. If you're high on your mileage for 3 weeks in a row there is a reason why most builds ask us to wind it back on week 4.

As of today we have 600 people from around the world registered, of which around 500 seem to be active. Great to see so much interest in doing a run focus block, especially for those of us trapped in winter. Please share any pictures or interesting stories!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
26 runs, but 25 of them on the treadmill. Ugh! I decided to treat this like a competition and log in a lot of 30 minute treadmill runs. Given the weather, I have structured my weekend workouts to be 30 minute run, 1 hour indoor trainer, then 30 minute run. Moves you up the charts. Good luck to all. This is definitely helping with the winter motivation.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snyderman wrote:
26 runs, but 25 of them on the treadmill. Ugh! I decided to treat this like a competition and log in a lot of 30 minute treadmill runs. Given the weather, I have structured my weekend workouts to be 30 minute run, 1 hour indoor trainer, then 30 minute run. Moves you up the charts. Good luck to all. This is definitely helping with the winter motivation.

I feel your pain, live in maine...I have never run so many TM runs in my life (18 out of 20). But its better than slipping on ice or snow and busting your ass. Keep on, you are getting great fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking advantage of San Diego and Santa Cruz weather lately to build on late-season marathon prep. Ran a 15k race today and pushed warmup and cooldown to 30 min each to pick up extra frequency. Volume is paying off with a 3rd o/all and 5 min PR at the distance. Feeling pretty good heading into Carlsbad half!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
Taking advantage of San Diego and Santa Cruz weather lately to build on late-season marathon prep. Ran a 15k race today and pushed warmup and cooldown to 30 min each to pick up extra frequency. Volume is paying off with a 3rd o/all and 5 min PR at the distance. Feeling pretty good heading into Carlsbad half!

That is very impressive! Good luck in the upcoming race! I am definitely running a bit more than usual, but this time last year I was fighting plantar fasciitis -- glad to be PF free right now! Basically, I'm just psyched that it's January, it's zero degrees out as we enter the depths of winter, and yet I can still sorta see my abs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:

Good work. Were the warmup and cooldown runs each separated by 60 min each from the race...if less, then it counts as one really long run (not that it changes your overall volume which is what is more important). Congrats on the huge 5 min PR. How much lighter are you than when you were 5 min slower?

Today ended up like this: AM was 45 min speed skate then 2 hour classic ski, drive home, grab a sandwich, pick up my son, drive over to the XC ski club, then skied 90 min with the teenagers. Then came home. Usually I am frozen after skiing and get on the treadmill or spin bike for 10-15 min to just jack up my core temp before stretching and showering. I found myself "chasing the spreadsheet" as the clock inched past 10 min to 15, then 16, then 17....then it hit 20 and it was getting to easy to say, "may as well make it 30". But I was already above what i would normally do (keeping in mind that I'd already done 4;15 of exercise all on my legs). So I just stepped off the treadmill at 20 minutes. Today's run won't count, and it was probably more than I should have done (10 min would have been fine). I was actually feeling pretty good and gradually dialing up the speed to half marathon race pace, but rather than listen to my body that was feeling good, I listened to common sense which would say this was not the time to crank out 10 more minutes at high speed. So no official run for me today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. I felt a little weird calling it three separate runs. They were only separated by, at most, 15 minutes. I just like to have a clean data file for races, so I reset my Garmin. I'll edit my runs to show only one for the total 16 miles.

I think I'm about the same weight as my previous 15k, but it was about 5 years ago. Not many options to race the distance here. I ran 1:02 in 2009 just before a 3:03 Boston and ran a 56 today a few weeks after a 2:54 at CIM.

With respect to your workout today, what stopped you from doing an additional 10 minutes easy?

Regardless, kudos to you for getting out and putting in work in those conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on getting faster through better engine and better economy (not from being lighter)!

Yes, I could have done 10 more minutes, but realistically I was already 10 min more than what I would normally do. Keep in mind I had already done 4:15 of weight bearing exercise to start. I know what days after this feel like. 10 minute is about perfect to warm up my core temp and then do some stretching (after ending XC skiing, cold, getting into a car, being a "bus driver for teenagers" and finally arriving home cold and seized up). 30 min I consider a "full run" whereas 10-15 min is truly a short transition, warmup or cooldown. I didn't need another workout, I just needed something to get the legs moving before stretching. I am supposed to XC ski again tomorrow with my son and his friend and I don't want to be excess baggage on that workout and have them wait for me. Much more fun if I can keep in the same vicinity!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the sake of the spreadsheet, it sounds as if you can log two runs. As long as you have 60 minutes between the end of your warmup and beginning of your cool down, two runs can be counted. 15-20 minutes before and after the race for warmup/cool down means you would have to run the 15K in under 30' for that not to happen.

Oh, congrats on the great finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Xterra 20k race today in the White Tanks Mountains in Arizona. Had a good run, but bit it pretty hard trying to out run a guy wearing cosmic cat tights in the final 20 yards or so from the finish. The guy was nice enough to help me up. I hope when race photos are up, there is a good one of me on the ground with cat tights guy standing over me.

For reference, these are the tights.

Quote | Reply
BlueHen wrote:
For reference, these are the tights.
(picture mercifully not repeated)

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I'll leave it as one run. I didn't know about the one hour rule, but it makes sense. A true double should have some separation. I think there's another one that I need to edit (a warmup / preview before our New Year's Day hill climb run).

Got in another 2 legit separate runs today, totaling about 20 miles, but I forgot my Garmin for the first one with the group this morning. Traumatizing for sure, but fortunately the world did not end. I got the duration and mileage from a friend and I'm hoping he'll send me the tcx file.

Keep it up everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev - not sure if it's possible to edit, but it appears that the challenge is currently set to expire at midnight on 3/24. The fact that it indicates there are only 99 total days in the challenge makes me think we will not be able to enter workouts on the 24th. I could be wrong, but it seems like the challenge might need to be set to expire on 3/25?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello to all,

Read about 100/100 a few weeks ago and even though I did not join right away the challenge motivated me to run during the holidays.

I joined today, thanks for the inspiration.

Alan - Greenville NC
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [gindypa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half Mary pr today in the midst of this challenge - good stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it seems to getting easier after 22 runs... and when you don`t overpaced and listen carefully to your body, 100 runs should be doable. Thanks for the great idea. Best Regards from Switzerland
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [Kiste76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Website won't let me record workouts...automatically goes to swim?????
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [askimdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
askimdog wrote:
Website won't let me record workouts...automatically goes to swim?????

You can change the workout type when you are editing it
Quote Reply

Prev Next