Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staying on track, babying my knees. May double up on challenges though. This looks appealing.

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking good here too, behind 1 run so far. Yesterday ran my last long run (17 mi) of my marathon cycle, so tapering down for the Walt Disney World Marathon on 1/12 followed by a nice warm Florida vacation!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still feeling good here. Took a day off yesterday to travel and ski up near the Canadian border in VT. Here all week. Not sure how you northerners do it running outside. It is brutal outside. We called it a day skiing around 2 and I hit the treadmills at the hotel to get my run in. Felt relatively strong, even after a day of skiing.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feeling good here, too. Started off a bit slow, coming back from a goal race, but was able to put in some good volume last week while on vacation. I've been spoiled by awesome conditions.

Back to the grind this week, so probably nowhere near as many doubles, but will definitely try to keep running every day. Signed up for a 15k race on Saturday which should be a good barometer of fitness, two weeks before Carlsbad (half).

Nice work everyone. Some pretty impressive numbers on the spreadsheet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am taking today off...I feel fine. But I want to stay on task. Still gonna ride the bike for some sweet spot work. Last day of the year, looking forward to 2014
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dig the Carlsbad half and full. I set a PR at the full in 2012 and a PR at the half this year. The only thing I miss about living in SoCal is the racing.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
I am taking today off...I feel fine. But I want to stay on task. Still gonna ride the bike for some sweet spot work. Last day of the year, looking forward to 2014

Happy New Year to all challengers. Hopefully getting into a good training groove before Jan 1 has been helpful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been pretty good so far... 11.5 mile trail run today with 2500' of gain... I've run 14 of 17 days and will start including doubles in the next week or two... My plan is to make up the first 4-5 weeks of 6 runs per week with a few extra doubles later in the challenge. Can't upload the workouts so I'm just monitoring my times and workouts in Garmin Connect for now.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last run of the year was 10 k resolution run at 4 hours before midnight. Did it in 44min and never felt like I was working beyond 85%. Relaxed and smooth but freekin ball breaking cold out there :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome -- my focus in 2014 is on frequency of workouts, so this is perfect. I'm in!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran 8.4 miles last night, to hit 1001.3 for 2013. Only my second run of the challenge, but I am ready to get on track. Just heading out for an easy 4 miler.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Carlsbad Half this year. I flew down from Seattle for a nice weekend in SoCal and it rained the whole fcking time I was there. I couldn't believe it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still working on getting even on days, without risking over doing it too early. I'm using this challenge to motivate my day-to-day training for my first 100 miler, which coincidentally is the last weekend of the challenge: March 22nd-23rd.

I'm feeling quite good so far. I'll be running a 50k this Saturday, so it'll be many short runs for the next few days up to and after the 50k I think.

Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [TaxAdvantage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My off season plan was to focus on my running. This challenge has really motivated me since I hate being behind in anything in life. I'm 15 runs in and feeling good enough to start increasing volume a bit more.

Happy New Year
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [Jerseydave77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the same goal...a much needed winter running focus! I did bronze in this challenge 4 years ago and I had started out that season in my best running form in many years, but unfortunately ended up rolling a tubular and having a bad crash in a race early season. That halted my supreme running fitness in a hurry. Super excited to see how it goes this year after the 100 days of dedication. Started off 2014 with a 5K race. Also been hacking up a lung for nearly 2 weeks now, but on the mend finally! I'm sure all of the running hasn't helped : ).
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dedicated crew up at the top of the leader board this year. I have only taken one day off with a few doubles thrown in to cover it and I've still fallen back to 32nd place while away on vacation this week.

It is wicked cold here in Northern VT where we are. High of -5 today. I ran outside yesterday thinking it was single digits out only to find out later it was well below zero. I tried the Nordic track on the golf course for the first two miles and struggled with my footing so moved to the road to finish up. I was a frozen mess by the end of the run.

We have been on the slopes every morning by 8:30 this week but we decided to sleep in today and wait to see if the temps hit zero. I'll hit the treadmill later today.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diana wrote:
I have had the same goal...a much needed winter running focus! I did bronze in this challenge 4 years ago and I had started out that season in my best running form in many years, but unfortunately ended up rolling a tubular and having a bad crash in a race early season. That halted my supreme running fitness in a hurry. Super excited to see how it goes this year after the 100 days of dedication. Started off 2014 with a 5K race. Also been hacking up a lung for nearly 2 weeks now, but on the mend finally! I'm sure all of the running hasn't helped : ).

Diana...sorry to hear about the tubular roll in a race. Not like you need more running speed (at least the girls in your division probably would say so), but here's to hoping for a stellar 2014.

My year started off pretty awesome. I called my friend Chris Macknie (who goes by "rolldown" on ST on account of going to Kona 3x on rolldown). Chris turned 50 on Jan 1 (worst birthday to have in age group triathlon....if he was born 8 hours earlier he would have gone to Kona from IM Whistler this year...). Anyway, I said, "Chris, what's the plan for today?". Chris says, "nothing yet". So I said how about 50 min run + 50 min speed skate (Chris lives next door to the canal which is open for skating now). As I am heading out the door I called and said, "How about we add 50 min of classic skiing?".

Anyway, my son was busy all day on Grade 12 history project with one of his buddies, so there was nothing going on at home....we spent most of the day doing a 57 min run on Parliament Hill, then 60 min speed skate, then a 1:45 min classic Ski in Gatineau Park. Pictures off the web because it was between minus 20 and minus 24C and my fingers froze the single time I took out the camera:

Venue for our run:

Venue for our skate (although this part of the canal was not open yet:

Gatineau Park XC skiing....that's not us, that's my friend Lise Meloche, a 3x Olympian in Biathlon. She and her partner Dave who run xczone.tv taught me how to ski properly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and ... i'm back running again. 5 days lost because of this finger injury, but back out on the roads and the treadmill and hoping to catch up over about 10-15 days of partial doubles. a little worried about how slow i am when i run comfortably, but i believe in the magic of 100/100 so will just keep at it ...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody having problems uploading Garmin data, didn't work yesterday or today.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This challenge has been great training and fits my schedule well. I used the opening weeks to train for the "New Year's Double" in Dallas (Allen, TX). It was a lot of fun and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a young event, and not most competitive field, but a great time and a good personal challenge to end & start the year. Basically it goes:
- There's two days of racing, New Year's Eve & New Year's Day, with the same schedule both days.
- 5k early both mornings, and a half and full marathon run together right after that.
- You can: run one race, or do 2 5k's, 2 13.1's, or two fulls, or one of each -- mix and match as you want. I guess you could even do both 5k's and two 13.1's or marathons, for a total of four races.
- It's all on a looped course: 2 loops to a half marathon. Pretty flat but I never got bored. All is on paved walking paths with no cars.

Anyway, I would recommend the event if you're able to get there, or looking for a destination New Year's trip that's not just hanging out in a bar until midnight. I ran the two half marathons and had a great time doing it. The races were well-run: they did a nice job seeding runners into corrals. There were definitely a lot of slower people there, but I'm glad it's an open event that's helping a lot of people with a fitness goal. And it was fun, which is probably something a lot of us forget about at the super-serious WTC events etc. It was easy to get to from the airport and the surrounding area has inexpensive hotels and good places to eat. It was cold -- I didn't know Texas got that cold! -- but I'm from New England, so it wasn't too bad, and now back home, we're about to get a foot of snow...

http://www.newyearsdouble.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
back to back 30 min runs the past two days in sub -30c temps. Yowzers!!
Amazing how the body warms up though IF you dress for the conditions. 

Anyone out running in +30c ??

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! How do you think your times compare to the half splits in a single standalone marathon. Does the overnight rest help or hurt?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

You might try just uploading the .TCX files. I've never been able to get the live upload to work. Not in any of the years I've done the challenge. I just keep a shortcut to my Garmin history folder and point it directly to the files.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 2, 14 17:07
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15 2013-Mar 24 2014 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

You might try just uploading the .TCX files. I've never been able to get the live upload to work. Not in any of the years I've done the challenge. I just keep a shortcut to my Garmin history folder and point it directly to the files.

I might try that, although the other was working fine until yesterday.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Base elevation 9200'
Wind chill -24C
Ice and snow everywhere
Magnificent

shady wrote:
back to back 30 min runs the past two days in sub -30c temps. Yowzers!!
Amazing how the body warms up though IF you dress for the conditions.

Anyone out running in +30c ??

Quote Reply

Prev Next