Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right! I don't think he is on a SHIV in that pic either.

This just in.....Crowie is on a "Shivelo Ordu"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be a p5 but considering cervelo normally stacks their developments in the wind tunnel, I would expect it to look a lot more like a s5, which that picture is no where near an s5 or p4.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More athletes know about the Ironman than Interbike. One is a industry trade show & the other is pretty much a world wide popular sporting event all over the boobtube.

A key observation. In the former world of the sorting goods business, these sorts of things were done at key industry trade shows. Recall the Cervelo P4 was launched with a great deal of internal fanfare at Interbike a number of years ago. This was the way it was done in most businesses, is new stuff was launched at Trade Shows and fairs to the industry first. There was often an underground world of "Spy Photos" circulating around, but this was really only for those in the know and those who really cared and were connected.

The world of social media and networking has turned all of this up-side down in just the last couple of years. Now it seems everyone from Apple to even small companies in our business, have broken away from this tradition of side industry launches, and are going it on there own launching product using their own schedule, micro marketing and social media. Again witness this shift even within a company like Cervelo - the S5 was launched, well before any of the key industry trade shows just before the Tour de France, and in a rather secret and stealthy fashion with a heavy emphasis and utilization of social media and networking to spread the word. Of course the timing and perhaps the luck for Cervelo in this regard was brilliant as Thor Husvold, rode the bike to several stage wins and in the yellow jersey for a number of days. The exposure was huge and right in line with Cervelo's booking deadline for next year. I am guessing that S5's booked well on pre-season orders for many dealers for 2012, which is a key metric internally in the business!

Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't argue with you on that point.
But they had so much trouble with the P4 seat tube perhaps they made some wholesale changes. Isn't the new ad campaign increased speed and easy to ride (no issues)
Was a bit surprised they kept the foil section of seat post in the S5 where all the cracking issues arose in the P4. But it looks a lot beefier on S5 than P4 to me (disclaimer have not seen an S5 in person
for any length of time).
on Crowie's frame its just the chain stays and seat post binder that strike familiar to me.
anyway its all good fun..
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [dougo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dougo wrote:
it's an S5

Agreed, BB gives it away...My next bike BTW
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [Paolina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies. Post #228 was mine. My wonderful wife had logged in on the home computer to send a PM to someone and I had not noticed that she had not logged out.

A key observation. In the former world of the sorting goods business, these sorts of things were done at key industry trade shows. Recall the Cervelo P4 was launched with a great deal of internal fanfare at Interbike a number of years ago. This was the way it was done in most businesses, is new stuff was launched at Trade Shows and fairs to the industry first. There was often an underground world of "Spy Photos" circulating around, but this was really only for those in the know and those who really cared and were connected.

The world of social media and networking has turned all of this up-side down in just the last couple of years. Now it seems everyone from Apple to even small companies in our business, have broken away from this tradition of inside industry launches, and are going it on there own launching product using their own schedule, micro marketing and social media. Again witness this shift even within a company like Cervelo - the S5 was launched, well before any of the key industry trade shows just before the Tour de France, and in a rather secret and stealthy fashion with a heavy emphasis and utilization of social media and networking to spread the word. Of course the timing and perhaps the luck for Cervelo in this regard was brilliant as Thor Husvold, rode the bike to several stage wins and in the yellow jersey for a number of days. The exposure was huge and right in line with Cervelo's booking deadline for next year. I am guessing that S5's booked well on pre-season orders for many dealers for 2012, which is a key metric internally in the business!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 29, 11 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ehh not really in regards to the seat post. They had problems with the 09 that's all. No one has had a problem that I have heard of from the 10 and the 11's. Also given that they have almost an identical attachment for the s5, I dont see them randomly going back to the old style. I think it was just a design fluke that was remidied.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a hard believing that this glob of carbon is going to be a "faster" bike than what is already out there. And yes, I do care what I ride and what it looks like. Just because the fat chick down the street with the hair lip can fuck good, doesn't mean I am going to marry her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with you.
But that is another reason why I question that this bike is a Specialized.
If Crowie is still an Orbea sponsored athlete as he presumably is, then the frame
will have to be unmarked or even worse re-badged. If Crowie wins Kona on that frame
great, but a fantastic marketing opportunity of photos of him riding the frame with a big
Specialized written on the side would be lost. Just not the same effect with unmarked
bike. So can't see that Specialized would push for this when they can put their eggs in Macca's basket.
After all they are/ have release the new Shiv so they want the hype and recognition.
Cevelo on the other hand is not releasing their new bike at this moment so they could benefit from the
mystery and anticipation of what is to come on a mystery bike ridden to Kona victory and re-work their
success from the Thor / S5 release. If Crowie doesn't win on the bike, well then he lost on a bike frame still
in development and no one is staring at Cervelo painted on side.
many possibilities, theories etc. only thing more entertaining would be to actually get to ride any of these bikes now
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [AnorexicDildo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnorexicDildo wrote:
I have a hard believing that this glob of carbon is going to be a "faster" bike than what is already out there. And yes, I do care what I ride and what it looks like. Just because the fat chick down the street with the hair lip can fuck good, doesn't mean I am going to marry her.

Yeah I can see why you wouldn't believe it's faster specialized is def one of those companies that doesn't spend a lot of time in the Sind tunnel for their race bikes they just kinda throw them together.... It's a bike.... I'll sayit again a bike, used in a race, unless your goal is to go slower who cares what it looks like.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's a felt no?
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that if a group of engineers were told they could design a bike without UCI limitations they would come up with something a little more on the edge than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [key] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
key wrote:
I would think that if a group of engineers were told they could design a bike without UCI limitations they would come up with something a little more on the edge than that.

You still have to remember the consumer in the situation. You can't stray too far from the norm or people won't but it. You have to take smaller steps. Another example or this is shimano di2. They could have easily made the shifters one button and have it adjust the front and the back. But it's a huge jump for consumers and it prob wouldn't have sold as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about this idea....Remember the thread about WTC using the picture of Hilary Biscay and removing the Rev3 logo? What if the bike is a Cervelo with no decals. If Crowie wins, then Cervelo can add the Cervelo name on the bike in advertising pictures (kind of on the same line as WTC removing images on the HB picture).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did. I cracked a 2009 and 2010 P4 seat tube. But with that in mind, my 2011 P4 was perfect and had no problems. Cervelo was the best and they got me the warranty replacement frames very quickly. The 2011 was fantastic and I think noticeably a better riding and perhaps faster bike than previous versions. I loved it until a car took me and it out.
I healed, it did not. I anxiously await the P5. It will be my new bike without a doubt.
Heck still hoping to even sneak a S5 into the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random question was the replacement the 09 2010 model. I know cervelo did do that and just repainted them. Sergio junior was one of the people that got stuck with an 09, 2010 model.

I had the same problem with an 09 and just got an 11 it's significant better put together in that area that's for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
key wrote:
Unfortunately engineer's projects without commercial limits are pretty rare, and if they could use the pretty good Shiv back end and scale the front end to get predictable area benefits (from their existing Shiv windtunnel work) while minimising differences in the carbon, while stretching and tweaking a bit to make it tri friendly.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it might look better if they recessed the head tube to include the stem, liken the TT Shiv?

Probably done so it would have more conventional fit options as per the cockpit, but it would look a lot better.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was kinda getting at marketing still has to look at the design and say yeah we can sell that.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
Really? C'mon! How many triathlons have you seen won by bike splits?

Ummm...it seems to me that although a tri can't necessarily be won SOLELY on a bike split, they certainly can be lost on it....

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense.....put him on a blacked out P5 for a race to get the "Social Media" it an uproar - keep the world guessing what he really will be riding. Probably a heck of a lot less expensive than a lot of typical style advertising and more effective. Just look a the threads on ST - Most of these guys probably have their wives laying naked in bed but choose to sit in front of the computer the last few days just hoping to be the 1st to figure out who the new sponsor was really going to be.

Paolina wrote:
More athletes know about the Ironman than Interbike. One is a industry trade show & the other is pretty much a world wide popular sporting event all over the boobtube.

The world of social media and networking has turned all of this up-side down in just the last couple of years. Now it seems everyone from Apple to even small companies in our business, have broken away from this tradition of side industry launches, and are going it on there own launching product using their own schedule, micro marketing and social media. Again witness this shift even within a company like Cervelo - the S5 was launched, well before any of the key industry trade shows just before the Tour de France, and in a rather secret and stealthy fashion with a heavy emphasis and utilization of social media and networking to spread the word. Of course the timing and perhaps the luck for Cervelo in this regard was brilliant as Thor Husvold, rode the bike to several stage wins and in the yellow jersey for a number of days. The exposure was huge and right in line with Cervelo's booking deadline for next year. I am guessing that S5's booked well on pre-season orders for many dealers for 2012, which is a key metric internally in the business!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I would think that if a group of engineers were told they could design a bike without UCI limitations they would come up with something a little more on the edge than that."

Ahh yes, the mistaken assumption that a bike with seatstays and seat tube is inherently slower rears its ugly head yet again. Aerodynamics is a lot more complex than simply removing bits from the airflow. Some people want to hang on legacies like Softride with its missing back end parts as some sort of aerodynamic holy grail. Lost in the translation is the fact that the Softride and similar designs had more to do with accomodating the beam suspension concept and rider comfort than aerodynamics. While they maximized the inherent aerodynamic properties in their last models like the Rocket TT, the aerodynamic advantages of beam bike design were initially byproducts of a different design focus. There is no proof that they maintain any advantage over modern designs still rooted in the double diamond.

Fast forward to today and bicycle design has recognized that you cannot simply remove a frame member or three and improve the aerodynamics of the bike. Today there are far more sophisticated ways of managing airflow that can produce like or better performance results. Specialized obviously moved off the UCI reservation in this design. If so, it's folly to think they didn't consider alternative designs, at least in the initial concepts.

If the photo and the specs like the internal drinking system concept are real, then this bike likely represents one of the biggest, focussed efforts at producing a bike targeted to triathletes in recent years. Trek gave a pretty good nod to triathletes with the aero box on the SC. But it was still a compromise from a bike that had to start with UCI legality. If true, this Specialized appears to take the best of current design, and then move it forward solely focussed on multisport athletes. That is huge. It's probably overstating it a bit, but you may have to go back to Dan's original Superform to find a bike that moves the multisport bike design in such a way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
draketriathlon wrote:

Yeah gosh I just hate it when bike companies make faster tri bikes.... But nothing says triathlete like worrying about how pretty their bike is vs how fast they go.

The aesthetics related comments are embarrassing. I always thought of triathletes as function over form folks - I associate aesthetics with cyclists (ie: "the rules"). I understand that we enjoy having things that both work well and look nice, but triathletes are the people that obsess over wind tunnel data and crr and other more complicated things that I don't get.

In reality, nothing about this sport's gear actually looks that cool. Wetsuits? Nope. Tri-suits? No way. Now, I "feel" cool when I get geared up to train or race, but that certainly isn't because to the outside world my gear is attractive.

A race bike is for racing.

(I suppose if you love the way something looks, you might use it more/ take better care of it/ etc. - but still...)

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Crowie spotted on a P5 on the Queen K in Kona [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As fleck said go to any ironman and you have 100s on 10k bikes with 200 dollars worth of stuff that shoots their drag through the roof. People are clueless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new vs. old

Quote Reply

Prev Next