Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
I am really hoping for great coverage and live streaming. This race is potentially the most competitive race ever in the history of Triathlon if all parties are able to race. IM greats 70.3 champs and ITU champions now with Luis and Blummenfelt. I hope Sam Long, Gustav Iden, and Rudy Von Berg also get wild cards.
I would think Alastair and Luis would be favorites but what an exciting race potential on so many levels

You not watch ITU or 70.3 worlds?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
But how are any of the Europeans getting into the USA?

They say they are coming for the MAGA rally in Florida. Special rules apply.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race has all the long distance guys too. Most IM guys dont race 70.3 worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there is a way since the Challenge team is also coming over. We had some people traveling into the US at work. If they flew into Florida they would have to quarantine. Instead, they flew into Texas then from Texas to Florida. I'm not sure of all the specifics regarding Europeans today.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That will be the problem for long course athletes. ITU guys train enough to smash those guys at this distance. Totally different outcome if it was a 140.6, with Long Course athletes dropping the ITU guys over time (imo). But, it's not. I'm excited to see ITU speed in person.

How is the $1,000,000.00 being distributed? I can't find anything on Challenge or PTO websites. 20 deep? 40 deep?

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but a fun dynamic with all the levels and so much prize money. 3 hours of all out racing. Im wondering the same with the division of money if top 10 still gets a nice chunk.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Im interested what Canadian and European racers will do because given 🇺🇸 and especially Florida management of COVID i would suspect 14 day mandatory quarantine upon arriving back home...ie: through Christmas.

Basically the race may just be an event for 🇺🇸 PROS or expats living in Tuscon and Cali!

Well the challenge for European based folks is that they can't fly directly into the US. If they have spent 14 days in most of the EU countries, they are not allowed in. But that can be overcome by spending 2 weeks in Turkey or Dubai if they really want to go
Most European countries don't have a mandatory 14 day quarantine at a designated facility. Most are advise to "self isolate" for 14 days.
It explains alot about the situation there today
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
You don't think a Lionel or a potential Sam Long puts time into the guys first out of the water?

Lol no. Like them both. But they lose contact 200m into the swim and never see the front of the race again.

This field is far too loaded. They'll both lose at least 2-3' on the swim and that pack will be flying on the bike. Plenty of better runners in the field too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gustav Iden also got a wild card.

This is going to be fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd set of wildcard picks...

Iden, Don
Duffy, Learmonth

Long distance athletes are going to get throttled.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a full list of invites somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most European countries don't have a mandatory 14 day quarantine at a designated facility. Most are advise to "self isolate" for 14 days.
It explains alot about the situation there today

Obviously the situation everywhere is rather fluid right now - predicting what things will be like in a month and a half is a bit of a mugs game!

Look what happened in Pro Cycling - Paris Roubaix, one of the most legendary races in all of Cycling, was cancelled a week and a half out from the race! ONLY World Wars have ever stopped that race form happening!!

Now, my understanding is this race in Daytona at the Daytona Speedway takes place for the most part on the private property of the Daytona Speedway, and it's Florida - which clearly as a State, has not been taking the COVID-19 situation seriously in any way. Staying away from the politics of it all - If athletes can get in the country, if a race can still be put on no matter what, this is it. In fact, I think I seem to recall the Race Director saying he has guaranteed, that this race will be a go!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't just the RD, it was literally the Governor of Florida who specifically said the race was a go.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire race is on private property, for the pros. AG race has the bike in/out of speedway. Swim and run on private property.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire race is on private property, for the pros. AG race has the bike in/out of speedway. Swim and run on private property.

This is an important distinction. In this transitional time before we get back to "normal" in the Endurance Sports Race/Event Business, it will be a VERY important distinction. Ounce you are out onto public roads, you will be subject to local municipality permit regulations, which might possibly be far more restrictive.

However, obviously this has it's limits. You can't have the Boston Marathon, or the Gran Fondo New York, or the IRONMAN World Championships on Private Property.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That list doesn't include the elites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve F. Were our Can. championships on priv. property?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pto Fields om that lidt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

English?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
lassekk wrote:

English?

Whoops sorry! The link only lists AG athletes not the pros invited by PTO, which is what I'm after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry.

The top 40 in the PTO rankings are automatically invited. The ranking list they have on their site is from March though, so not sure if that is up to date.

https://thecollinscup.com/pto-world-rankings/

You can check their Instagram acct for the wild card announcements. So far these are the wild cards:

Women: Taylor-Brown, Spirig, Duffy, Learmonth
Men: Luis, Blummenfelt, Iden, Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
lassekk wrote:

English?

Whoops sorry! The link only lists AG athletes not the pros invited by PTO, which is what I'm after.

Here is the list on the PTO website..

https://protriathletes.org/pto-2020-championships-automatic-qualifiers/?fbclid=IwAR2zn1Lc8BW5T6Uah1EFUpLLo_JLMhHsoUTIqg5uq6xozTekj50Yr00OaLE

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Oct 15, 20 4:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

This is an important distinction. In this transitional time before we get back to "normal" in the Endurance Sports Race/Event Business, it will be a VERY important distinction. Ounce you are out onto public roads, you will be subject to local municipality permit regulations, which might possibly be far more restrictive.

However, obviously this has it's limits. You can't have the Boston Marathon, or the Gran Fondo New York, or the IRONMAN World Championships on Private Property.

I don't see how the private/public distinction serves to provide any meaningful difference. Businesses are still subject to mask mandates, for instance. Sure, I can choose to disregard a mask mandate in my house, but once you're opening up for business, in this case to host a public event, why would it be granted immunity?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how the private/public distinction serves to provide any meaningful difference. Businesses are still subject to mask mandates, for instance. Sure, I can choose to disregard a mask mandate in my house, but once you're opening up for business, in this case to host a public event, why would it be granted immunity?

100% Correct.

But the whole permitting process for Public vs Private, in this case roads (and land) is completely different and you can do things (maybe more people??), on the private land vs the public roads. I know that right now getting any sort of permit for some form of Endurance Sports Race/Event pretty much anywhere in North America, on Public Roads is a complete 100%, no way, NO!

But you could set up, say a 5km loop in the parking lot of a large plaza or Shopping Mall, or private gated community, and do things you could not do on the open public roads. In fact this is exactly what many of the themed runs like the Color Run did in their explosive growth 12 years ago - they would run them in the parking lots of Shopping Plazas and do a bit of an end-around on the local Permiting process for the public roads!

Quote Reply

Prev Next