Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The challenge (pun) is that this is a single event (vs the cycling season happening in Europe) and traithon isn't so lucrative (vs MLB, NFL, NBA) that they can throw virtually unlimited resources at things. Similar to the way that there is a question if D1 football can happen, but D2/D3 was cancelled without a thought since there is no big TV revenue to play with/at stake.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I actually think, at least for pro triathletes, controlling a ā€œbubbleā€ would be very easy. But, given the low economic value in triathlon, I understand why it doesnā€™t make sense for the events to occur for pros alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
cloy wrote:
I'm so tempted. I know I shouldn't... but damn.

What is so tempting? Itā€™s 3.5 months away. How can any race organization say ā€œitā€™s onā€ with any confidence at this point??

It's tempting to fantasize about racing for 3 months and to be greeted with a "oh, sorry, our bad---we can't race," email in late November.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
stevej wrote:
cloy wrote:

What is so tempting? Itā€™s 3.5 months away. How can any race organization say ā€œitā€™s onā€ with any confidence at this point??

It's tempting to fantasize about racing for 3 months and to be greeted with a "oh, sorry, our bad---we can't race," email in late November.

If that's what you fantasize about, you need to get laid.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking the same thing! I might just add this to the calendar on Training Peaks without telling coach. See if he realizes it.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
cloy wrote:
stevej wrote:
cloy wrote:

I suppose the second post should have been in pink.

But I genuinely thought about it for all of two hours. Then realized how poorly FL has managed this whole scenario since March, and cooler heads prevailed. Back to the 2020 status quo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donā€™t know what this means for the odds of the race happening, but the Governor of Florida tweeted this: https://twitter.com/...715174482096138?s=21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference between this race and all the other races is that this is taking place 100% on private property. If Challenge wants the race to go forward they have little in the way of government to get in there way. There is no fear of the city/state pulling permits at the last second because as far as I am aware they do not need any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
cloy wrote:
stevej wrote:
cloy wrote:

Or at least fantasize about it.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T2LV wrote:
The difference between this race and all the other races is that this is taking place 100% on private property. If Challenge wants the race to go forward they have little in the way of government to get in there way. There is no fear of the city/state pulling permits at the last second because as far as I am aware they do not need any.

The middle distance bike course goes outside of the track and onto public roads so I donā€™t believe this is correct. However, they could change the bike course to be just inside the track but not sure if that will cause too much traffic on the course as I think there are other races going on. So while they may be able to remove the local permit hurdles, I still think there is minimal chance this race happens.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PTO Wild Cards added Vincent Luis and Kristen Blummefelt. Looks like this will be the diesels verse the turbos. I'll put my money on Luis for OA win.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
PTO Wild Cards added Vincent Luis and Kristen Blummefelt. Looks like this will be the diesels verse the turbos. I'll put my money on Luis for OA win.

That's awesome. But will they accept it and can they even get into the US?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
timr wrote:

Saw on Luis' insta a couple of weeks ago he finally got a Shiv, so looks like he wants to race. Unless he's planning to do some other non-draft race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Sean said. Luis has been posting pictures of his bike. I have to imagine PTO reached out to these guys to see if they'd accept, before announcing it.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many other wildcard slots will be awarded?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 more males / 8 more females

1 of them (per gender) will be awarded at the Trigames Mandelieu (France).

Idem, another one of them per gender will be awarded at the Great Floridian Triathlon.

- Antony Costes -
PhD in Biomechanics / Professional Triathlete (9 pro wins)

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it."
Lord Kelvin
Last edited by: Tigre: Oct 12, 20 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Saw on Luis' insta a couple of weeks ago he finally got a Shiv, so looks like he wants to race. Unless he's planning to do some other non-draft race.
https://www.instagram.com/...b_button_share_sheet

Interesting that he went with/was given the Shiv Tri and not the Shiv TT

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said he was doing Daytona in his post-race interview at Arzachena. Should be a very interesting race to watch. I really hope they figure out a great way to get this broadcasted.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Sean H wrote:

I think you have that backwards........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really hoping for great coverage and live streaming. This race is potentially the most competitive race ever in the history of Triathlon if all parties are able to race. IM greats 70.3 champs and ITU champions now with Luis and Blummenfelt. I hope Sam Long, Gustav Iden, and Rudy Von Berg also get wild cards.
I would think Alastair and Luis would be favorites but what an exciting race potential on so many levels
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ehhh.... I hope im wrong but I think it's a pretty boring race until the run.

If you cant swim, I just cant see how anyone can be competitive at this distance. There are too many ace swims on the start list and it's a pancake flat bike. No one is going to be able to close the gap out of the chase and will be hard to break away.

Are they actually going to enforce the drafting distance?
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Oct 12, 20 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't think a Lionel or a potential Sam Long puts time into the guys first out of the water?

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Sean H wrote:

I think you have that backwards........

No, itā€™s a Shiv Tri with but with the rear hydration storage removed. There are a few ā€˜tellsā€™
- the downtube storage
- the fork (deeper as well as the ā€˜legsā€™ being separate from the head tube where they meet the base bar)
- the area under where the seat stays meet the downtube. On the Shiv TT there is a gap between the downtube and rear wheel. On the Shiv Tri there is not

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona and PTO $1,000,000 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
stevej wrote:
timr wrote:

Ok thatā€™s good. But how are any of the Europeans getting into the USA? Isnā€™t there a travel ban or at least a 14 day quarantine mandate?

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 12, 20 17:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean maybe, but at best they bridge up only to get railed on the run, I find it unlikely they ever actually see the front of the race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next