Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
You know honestly maybe the only reason they are bad is that we will all have to buy new wheels.

This is why I won't be getting a disc equipped bike any time soon. I've got no issue with them (though I don't think they're necessary) but I'm not willing to render thousands of dollars worth of great equipment useless so I can participate in the latest trend. If I were new to the sport and didn't have "legacy" gear, sure I'd get a disc bike.

The move to 11 speed was a tough enough pill to swallow. I get the impression that the industry believes that consumers have bottomless budgets and are happy to repeatedly chuck previous investments.

The unintended (?) consequences of some of these changes can be comical. Sure a thru-axle on my road bike will be great... until I try to put it on my perfectly good trainer. I guess I'll happily drop a mint on a new one of those too.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually wondered about that the other day. Can a disc brake bike be used on a Wahoo Kickr?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Why remove the headphone jack of the iPhone 7?

Thankfully that little move didn't render anybody's previous several hundred dollar headphone purchases useless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can. They support 130 and 135 mm spacing. Thru axles require an adapter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I was just using it as an example.

I wonder if the new P6 could use rim or disc brakes by just changing the fork out? Someone needs to make a bike that can do this so we all have time to eventually move our wheels over to disc brakes.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because everyone buying a new bike has to buy new race wheels.

Every single guy that races on new bikes with aero wheels has to buy new race wheels. I mean seriously...could it be entirely about a money grab?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: Sep 28, 16 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:
You know honestly maybe the only reason they are bad is that we will all have to buy new wheels.

This is why I won't be getting a disc equipped bike any time soon. I've got no issue with them (though I don't think they're necessary) but I'm not willing to render thousands of dollars worth of great equipment useless so I can participate in the latest trend. If I were new to the sport and didn't have "legacy" gear, sure I'd get a disc bike.

The move to 11 speed was a tough enough pill to swallow. I get the impression that the industry believes that consumers have bottomless budgets and are happy to repeatedly chuck previous investments.

The unintended (?) consequences of some of these changes can be comical. Sure a thru-axle on my road bike will be great... until I try to put it on my perfectly good trainer. I guess I'll happily drop a mint on a new one of those too.

Agree. And I'm very comfy working on my bikes with normal brakes, and I like the selection of lightly used wheels available. I am in fact looking for a new bike, but if I had the choice of the same bike with or without discs, I'd be going without. I'm not worried about resale, I'm still riding my 2011 SC9, and it's dropped enough in value that I'll likely keep it as a spare/trainer bike. I don't flip them after one year...
If a new bike comes out that I'm drooling over, and it happens to be disc, so be it...but otherwise..
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Sep 28, 16 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of reasons. The braking is better and cleaner, easier to get to and work on than aero brakes. Second, wheels can be made that don't contemplate rim braking, and are a thematic match with the fork.

Which I wrote last year! And the year before! And you guys told me I was smoking weed. The old dog can still hunt.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with your sentiment but I'm planning to make out $ wise by moving to disc brake wheelsets. There is NO reason to buy Zipps anymore since the only reason I pay up for them is the superior braking. Take a look at Nextie -- I will be building up several sets of those rims around great hubs with my Zipp sale proceeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Couple of reasons. The braking is better and cleaner, easier to get to and work on than aero brakes. Second, wheels can be made that don't contemplate rim braking, and are a thematic match with the fork.

Which I wrote last year! And the year before! And you guys told me I was smoking weed. The old dog can still hunt.

But which tunnel have they all been tested at, A2, or Faster?? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

As I said before on here, if disc brake bikes are faster, I want to be on that.

I just don't see the point of dropping another $10K+ on a new bike AND new race wheels to gain 30-60 seconds on an IM bike or whatever the advantage is going to be. Now if the advantage is say somewhere between 5-10 minutes on an IM bike, then yeah I'd be a lot more interested.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Because everyone buying a new bike has to buy new race wheels.

Every single guy that races on new bikes with aero wheels has to buy new race wheels. I mean seriously...could it be entirely about a money grab?

As long as companies offer bikes in different configurations to support these different standards then I'm happy. It's good to see so many companies offering disc and rim brake versions of bikes (road at least) and I hope they'll continue to do so. However I fear that this 'crossover' period will be short lived.

I'm not against change or progress (though whether this represents progress is debatable). It's just that this particular update really penalizes long-time cyclists with a garage full of gear. Companies that fail to acknowledge/accommodate this issue will simply lose my business. I'm not vindictive, but for some reason I have a long memory for this sort of thing and I'll be a lost customer for life. (I can hear them shuddering in fear as I type this)
Last edited by: Pooks: Sep 28, 16 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

END OF THREAD.

Now let's just wait until October 4.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Aside from, yes, being a money grab, what is the incentive for companies to switch to discs? I really don't buy the safer braking bit, no one here is having trouble slowing down.

I have plenty of problems slowing down on my TT bike. Try riding a P4 in the mountains.

obligatory edit: obviously one dude who rides a notoriously crappy braking bike on a-typical roads doesn't justify discs for an entire industry, presumably they have other reasons besides braking performance
Last edited by: tgarson: Sep 28, 16 10:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
wheels can be made that don't contemplate rim braking, and are a thematic match with the fork.

Sounds like another subtle hint on what HED might be bringing to market.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's more of a problem with riding a bike in the mountains with only one brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
To fix carbon clincher braking issues? I don't know....things change in any market.

Why remove the headphone jack of the iPhone 7?

Carbon fiber rims can potentially be much cheaper when you don't have to take braking into account: cheaper resins, less material, and no need to machine a brake track once you pop the rim out of a mold. Velocite has a very interesting process that they use to make aero rims that could potentially be very cheap. It works kind of like the videos below. How they got this to work on a mandrel that's shaped like a rim (and then got the mandrel out, lol) is anyone's guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3vaJaNDLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMz4thOPq48
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Slowman wrote:
wheels can be made that don't contemplate rim braking, and are a thematic match with the fork.

Sounds like another subtle hint on what HED might be bringing to market.

The latest P5's have been coming with HED Jet 6's. Maybe they'll be selling it with a new disc compatible HED wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes and no ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
OK, so then why bother changing?

For riding in the rain, especially on hills; more so if you want to ride full carbon rims.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Last edited by: Paul Dunn: Sep 28, 16 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are rim brakes holding back rim design?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

How does it make braking cleaner compared to the integrated brakes on a speed concept? I have no issue working my SC integrated brakes. Its actually really simple.

And how does all of the above make me any faster?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If braking gets more "technical" and "faster" the braking points are later, like with F1 cars. For faster speeds better brakes are in needs ..

.. with any advanced brake system this is possible, it does not have be a disc!

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
If braking gets more "technical" and "faster" the braking points are later, like with F1 cars. For faster speeds better brakes are in needs ..

.. with any advanced brake system this is possible, it does not have be a disc!

and you'll just lock up your tires, there's basically no grip on them because they're so narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X photo????? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They need a coplanar brake track, don't they? A million brake pad shapes are to come ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply

Prev Next