Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Over 30mph and the p4 is sensational

There's nothing magic about 30MPH. I've seen plenty of yaw over 10 degrees at over 30 MPH.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TriByran wrote:
Over 30mph and the p4 is sensational

There's nothing magic about 30MPH. I've seen plenty of yaw over 10 degrees at over 30 MPH.

Also 30 mph is wind speed (not ground speed)....15 mph riding into a 20 mph wind coming in at 45 degrees angle means 20 mph x sin45 + 15 mph ~ 0.707x20 mph + 15 mph ~ 30 mph. Effective yaw should be around half of that 45 degree angle so could be 20+ degree yaw when riding north at 15 mph into a 20 mph north east wind if I got my rough math right.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I got creative with a dremmel but yes. Yann’s will be better though, assuming they fit a pit stop

BigBoyND wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

yes. the rubber top part blew off on the way home from a race one day :(

That looks nice! Does it line up well with the downtube and seat tube widths?

Thanks Eric for the shout out. Yes, the bottom bracket box for the p2/p3 will fit a Vittoria Pit Stop can no problem.

prototype Box installed on a 54 p3:

The BB box for the P5 56cm will also fit a Vittoria Pit Stop can, although without the cap.

Prototype box installed on my 56 P5:

Check out the short video

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Feb 10, 19 22:23
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Can't you just remove the small ring and derailleur?

Pretty much what I'd like to know. Is a single chain ring on a traditional (2x) crank going to work? Even if I need a narrow wide CR, that's a lot cheaper than replacing the whole crank set. Any issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Pretty much what I'd like to know. Is a single chain ring on a traditional (2x) crank going to work? Even if I need a narrow wide CR, that's a lot cheaper than replacing the whole crank set. Any issues?

I can't see any. The Quarq should be fine too. Some cranks require shorter bolts for 1x, but that's like $5.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
rruff wrote:
Can't you just remove the small ring and derailleur?

New 1x bolts and a 1x chainring, and you are good to go. A 1x RD is nice if you are getting a lot of chain slap, but it’s not necessary.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric

I would really love to know if Yann's storage products have any aero impact on the P5.

It would be great if you could do a run on the P5 testing Yann's rear storage and his new BB storage box. (Ie testing no boxes on frame, rear box only, bb box only, etc). Maybe reach out to Yann for a BB box sample to test. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Hi Eric

I would really love to know if Yann's storage products have any aero impact on the P5.

It would be great if you could do a run on the P5 testing Yann's rear storage and his new BB storage box. (Ie testing no boxes on frame, rear box only, bb box only, etc). Maybe reach out to Yann for a BB box sample to test. ;)

I would be very curious about this as well. I hope someone tests the BB storage unit
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to post in this thread you have to be making a P4 one too, right??!!??!?!?!? They are hard to come by these days and Cervelo is out!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
If you are going to post in this thread you have to be making a P4 one too, right??!!??!?!?!? They are hard to come by these days and Cervelo is out!

Sorry, not going to make one for the P4. Having hard enough time getting access to current bikes for measuring and test fits.

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
SAvan wrote:
Hi Eric

I would be very curious about this as well. I hope someone tests the BB storage unit

Eric does have a rear box from me already. Unfortunately I haven’t finished the bb box yet. He rides a 58, while I ride a 56, so I have to make some small changes to it to fit on the 58. I did think about sending him the prototype, but the bb area is just a couple of mm bigger, which is enough for the box to not fit perfectly, there is a small gap between the seat tube and top of box and the down tube angle is different than the 56.

I’ve ridden with the prototype bb box a couple of times now and I could swear it felt like it made a positive difference. During the ride I averaged 19.9 on a 21 mile out and back ride, and I’ve got the worst fitness I’ve had in a long time.

I’m unfortunately out for a couple of weeks for a family emergency and won’t be able to continue the updates to the the bb boxes till I get back. If there is anyone in the Houston area with access to a 3D printer and a 58 frame I could work on it.

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yannb wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Sorry, not going to make one for the P4. Having hard enough time getting access to current bikes for measuring and test fits.

The draft box for the P4 would be nice but a storage box as a replacement for the bottle would be great.
Asking for a friend
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a new bike fit tool to play with.... this might change my P4 test protocol!!!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yannb wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

You don't need access to the whole bike, just the "bottle cage" that's mounted in the bottom of the frame. If somebody is really eager for you to make one I'm sure they can mail you their bottle cage.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to bring this back on topic, the P4 bottle will be modified to become a flat kit and hold a Pit Stop, just like the storage on the P5. Should be a fair test.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
yannb wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

You don't need access to the whole bike, just the "bottle cage" that's mounted in the bottom of the frame. If somebody is really eager for you to make one I'm sure they can mail you their bottle cage.

Actually, I do need to measure the frame so that the box fits perfectly on the bike and it’s edges match up to the contours of the frame.

That is why designing the boxes is taking time, since it is an iterative process, ie, measuring, printing, fitting, modifying, printing, fitting, etc...

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yann, please take these box discussions to a different thread?

thanks

yannb wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
yannb wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Actually, I do need to measure the frame so that the box fits perfectly on the bike and it’s edges match up to the contours of the frame.

That is why designing the boxes is taking time, since it is an iterative process, ie, measuring, printing, fitting, modifying, printing, fitting, etc...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking a definitive answer to the definitive discussion on high hands? The alpha one would make tackling that question a breeze. Alas the lack of compatibility with my steed prevents that.

ericMPro wrote:
I have a new bike fit tool to play with.... this might change my P4 test protocol!!!

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could add a run with low vs. high hands, although I already know the answer for that and also it would be uncomfortable for me without the tilt.

that said, it's super easy to do that on the Alpha One whereas on the P5 I'd have to spend all day removing pad washers and swapping extensions and blips and clics.

LAI wrote:
Are we talking a definitive answer to the definitive discussion on high hands? The alpha one would make tackling that question a breeze. Alas the lack of compatibility with my steed prevents that.

ericMPro wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When and where are you testing?

Were you at U of W back in May 2014? If you are testing there I can wrench for you and perhaps speed it up to the point where you get an extra couple runs. Free, I find this stuff super interesting.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to the A2 this week or next.

I may have been at the UW one in May 2014, it was the one that Jack Toland organized.

Eric

mauricemaher wrote:
When and where are you testing?

Were you at U of W back in May 2014? If you are testing there I can wrench for you and perhaps speed it up to the point where you get an extra couple runs. Free, I find this stuff super interesting.

Cheers,
Maurice

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:

Head tube clamp hits your frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Da has a totally proprietary stem interface. It bolts to the fork and clamps around the steerer.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Da has a totally proprietary stem interface. It bolts to the fork and clamps around the steerer.

Oh ya... my Chinese frame is similar. I put a different fork on it, and will extend the headtube with a brake cover. Currently modifying a stem (sculpting the shape with epoxy and microspheres) so it integrates with the frame better. I guess I enjoy customizing stuff because I waste a lot of time doing it... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
changing gears with the P4... decided to go with TriRig Alpha One instead of 3T Aduro. The TriRig was made for the P4, or vice versa.

Last edited by: ericMPro: Mar 3, 19 8:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next