Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I’ve never understood why people think you need to see a mile up the road in a race.

You don't need to see a mile up the road, but you do need to see up the road. Not talking about Eric here, but whenever I Google for race photos of people stem-staring in the tunnel, they're looking up the road. Which suggests they're testing positions they don't use. Though it could be just luck - maybe race photographers often set up on turns or something and everyone's in a super-head-down-tuck a lot more than the race photos suggest.

One guy I've noticed who's always captured in an excellent head position by race photographers is Campanearts. And his lack of shield/eyewear makes it easy to see where he's actually looking. He's looking, ballpark, 10-20m up the road. He's amazingly consistent. He's like a statue on the bike, with moving legs.

Last edited by: trail: Apr 8, 19 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nuance is important, except when it's not. It wasn't in this case. This was all about A/B testing and determining what was the best hydration/storage setup, suit, and helmet were for me at Kona this year, as well as getting a ballpark idea as to the differences between the P4 and the P5 with the same position. I think answered those questions.

Here's my low yaw setup:

desert dude wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
[ As I go further down this rabbit hole Im finding so many nuances.

When it comes to aero testing it's all about nuances. There is no universal "thing" that is going to work all the time once you've started to optimize yourself.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Why does this even need to be said?

Because this picture is the wind tunnel equivalent of sucking in your gut and turning sideways on beach. This may be ok for a time trial position, but I've been in the tunnel enough and tested enough riders in the last 5 years to know that there is "tunnel fast" and "road fast". I've also seen Eric race. His head is not in this position as he was looking up the road. And everyone gets critiqued here, it's Slowtwitch.

That's all well and good until you actually have to look to where you're going.[/quote][/quote]

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never said that, but there is a happy median between that and looking straight down. Any IM branded race, especially now that most are double loops have a ton of traffic.

Grant.Reuter wrote:
I’ve never understood why people think you need to see a mile up the road in a race. I guess if all you’re doing is Ironmans it may be that busy but I’ve never feel like I’m looking that far ahead racing.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Because this picture is the wind tunnel equivalent of sucking in your gut and turning sideways on beach. This may be ok for a time trial position, but I've been in the tunnel enough and tested enough riders in the last 5 years to know that there is "tunnel fast" and "road fast". I've also seen Eric race. His head is not in this position as he was looking up the road. And everyone gets critiqued here, it's Slowtwitch.

Except Eric will be in this position during his race and possibly a whole lot. Also, his race photos look pretty good. Maybe I am reading too much into what you're saying but it sounds to me like your implying that he holds his head a whole lot higher than what he has in the tunnel when he glances up the road? Doesn't look all that much higher with his "peak" that I am seeing below:

Also, in terms of "road fast" if Eric needs to hold his head high due to all the race traffic, then the penalty for a higher head will be negated from the draft benefit from all the other riders Eric will be passing. In fact, he'll likely end up with a serious net benefit.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Apr 8, 19 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said you are going to struggle to lower your CdA when you are that 'open'
You are pretty thin and gangly, long legs.

You could become more compact, saddle down and back etc. and your CdA would drop, but your power would go down and you may beast your hip flexors.

For long course Try 0.235 is fine, plenty out there with higher!

If you wanted to see if this would work try wearing a camelback on your front at your next visit. I'd be shocked if your CdA didn't drop significantly.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Did you not say aerohead was faster than poc for you
Interesting stuff overall
Thanks for sharing
ericMPro wrote:
Fastest run of the day... .226 at 0 and .209 at 10.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heath, I'm looking at the front wall of the tunnel. Looking with my eyes, not my head. FWIW, the Aerohead is much better for this than the POC.

E

Ex-cyclist wrote:
Never said that, but there is a happy median between that and looking straight down. Any IM branded race, especially now that most are double loops have a ton of traffic.

Grant.Reuter wrote:
I’ve never understood why people think you need to see a mile up the road in a race. I guess if all you’re doing is Ironmans it may be that busy but I’ve never feel like I’m looking that far ahead racing.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, Aerohead was faster, but I did not test it while riding the P4.

pk wrote:

Did you not say aerohead was faster than poc for you
Interesting stuff overall
Thanks for sharing
ericMPro wrote:
Fastest run of the day... .226 at 0 and .209 at 10.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to ride that way, and that could be part of the reason I used to be a .225 but am now a .235. But like you say, it affected my power, especially as I get older and further and further from the seasons of bike racing I used to do. The way I am now is more comfortable.

TriByran wrote:
As others have said you are going to struggle to lower your CdA when you are that 'open'
You are pretty thin and gangly, long legs.

You could become more compact, saddle down and back etc. and your CdA would drop, but your power would go down and you may beast your hip flexors.

For long course Try 0.235 is fine, plenty out there with higher!

If you wanted to see if this would work try wearing a camelback on your front at your next visit. I'd be shocked if your CdA didn't drop significantly.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a good example... this is my "high stack" run on the P4. Same CdA as my normal stack run and same CdA as my ultra low stack run.... .226.

I can see just fine. I remember being able to see the top of the front wall of the tunnel. But it was notably less comfortable, because I had less weight on the front end. It was an effort to shrug and turtle, whereas when you get a little more weight on the front gravity helps you do the work.

there's another key reason why despite being essentially the same low yaw CdA, I'd still rather go with the low stack setup.

E

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
this is my "high stack" . . . But it was notably less comfortable, because I had less weight on the front end. It was an effort to shrug and turtle, whereas when you get a little more weight on the front gravity helps you do the work.

Any chance you might ride/train the 3 different stacks to see which is more powerful for you? Obviously, aerodynamically speaking, you feel best with the low stack and that might negate any attempt at validating power-losses if there are any. Also, the low sails much better, correct?

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Apr 9, 19 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
this is my "high stack" . . . But it was notably less comfortable, because I had less weight on the front end. It was an effort to shrug and turtle, whereas when you get a little more weight on the front gravity helps you do the work.

Any chance you might ride/train the 3 different stacks to see which is more powerful for you? Obviously, aerodynamically speaking, you feel best with the low stack and that might negate any attempt at validating power-losses if there are any. Also, the low sails much better, correct?

That's a good point, re: power and also digestion as it relates to long course racing.

But yes, low stack did much better at yaw, for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like my stumpy legs are good for something.
PS. I love seeing the P4 testing so well. The geometry suits me better than the P5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well it's certainly highER stack... ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curious if you checked less reach, my n=1 was that as I extended reach, I got slower, ie if I had your arm angles it would be a definite hit for me. just for me, everyone is different.

the tunnel folks had multiple ideas of what would make me faster, each one was a no go :)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, when I added reach it was better. Did not check that this time around though.

jeffp wrote:
curious if you checked less reach, my n=1 was that as I extended reach, I got slower, ie if I had your arm angles it would be a definite hit for me. just for me, everyone is different.

the tunnel folks had multiple ideas of what would make me faster, each one was a no go :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it was mentioned, but you talked a few times about being older. How old are you now btw and when did you start to have some of the issues with aging that affected your position? Thanks for sharing some data :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 46. I think when I say "I'm older" I mean I'm just not willing to or have the discipline to ride my lowest position from a few years ago. I would say this started a few years ago when I "took a break" from IM racing. Lost my edge I guess.

But I do have lower back issues, which get aggravated once in a blue moon riding the trainer. Switching to snub nosed saddles has helped that immensely, as my vertebrae are more neutral.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I don't think it was mentioned, but you talked a few times about being older. How old are you now btw and when did you start to have some of the issues with aging that affected your position? Thanks for sharing some data :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do you expect to have data available to share?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello TriBryan and All,

TriBryan wrote in part:

We tested this in the SD Low Speed Wind Tunnel ... worn on chest/abdomen under shirt .... and you are correct it does lower the drag.

I think it is legal for triathlon but as I recall Dave Zabriskie got a 4 minute penalty for wearing a Camelback in this manner during a time trail.

Not sure about rules for different venues .... maybe someone can weigh in ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
We tested this in the SD Low Speed Wind Tunnel ... worn on chest/abdomen under shirt .... and you are correct it does lower the drag.

Been working on the beer gut! It's hard to grow that without increasing dimensions in unwanted directions though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
.226 at 0 and .209 at 10.

really surprised by that 10 number. that's not what i'd expect, especially given how "hard" you're working for that posture.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I think perhaps since I’m not riding like I did in 2016 I’m less flexible or bendy or whatever it was that made me sail .03 or better at yaw

jkhayc wrote:
Quote:
.226 at 0 and .209 at 10.

really surprised by that 10 number. that's not what i'd expect, especially given how "hard" you're working for that posture.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P4 vs. Cervelo P5: The Definitive Wind Tunnel Test [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello rruff and All,

Who was the masters track racer that was fat (and on drugs) winning races not too long ago?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next