Prev Next
Re: Can you make this set? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4x400m @ 5:00
4x200m @ 2:30
4x100m @ 1:15

Frodo's test set during his ITU days...

Pretty challenging :)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume those are leave times, all consecutive?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how he described it, when I have done it that's how I usually would do it, if there is any extra rest maybe 60' after the 400s to take some water in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gave it a shot this morning. Started feeling it in the 1:25’s then barely hit the wall in time on the 1st 1:20. Didn’t bother trying the second one as there was no way I’d be able make it

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not get to swim yesterday and was quite bummed. Tomorrow's is a practice, not my call - so it will wait til next week.

Here's an interesting variation that would be easier to make:
1x100 on 1:40,35,30,25,20,15 .. so 6 total
.. and repeat 3x for 18 total

Since you get to do a 1:40 again on #7 and #13 it's like a reset.

But then it's not a test to failure.

Agree with others here - great thread glad you posted it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got back to it today and I consider it a fail but..

10x100 warm-up on :15R odd-drill/swim, even-buoy (typical WU for me)

12x50 on :55 - 25 choice/25 free

Then the modified attempt at this set
3x100 on 1:40
3x100 on 1:35
3x100 on 1:30
3x100 on 1:25
3x100 on 1:20

I was holding ~1:12-1:15 all the way but had no extra gear today, and on #15 I came in at 1:15, and having the mental fortitude of a petulant 12yo that just missed a district cut, I quit rather than try to ratchet it up from there and attempting 1:15 interval. Very poor considering I had done a 6:16 in a 500 just a week ago as part of a masters practice. Wtf.

So I did 10x50 on 1:00 to finish up.. odd-fast (whatever "fast" means anymore) even-recovery. 31/30/30/30/29 on the odds. So holding 1:15s should not have been the task it was.

I will avenge this, maybe in a month. That's a great test set but not something I'm looking to do weekly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must have missed where you're supposed to swim these all the same speed? That's not they way I've been coached to do these types of sets. You should start out slower, you have the longer interval for a reason. And then you'd probably be able to squeeze out the 3 on 1:15 as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:

I was holding ~1:12-1:15 all the way but had no extra gear today, and on #15 I came in at 1:15, and having the mental fortitude of a petulant 12yo that just missed a district cut, I quit rather than try to ratchet it up from there and attempting 1:15 interval. Very poor considering I had done a 6:16 in a 500 just a week ago as part of a masters practice. Wtf.

So I did 10x50 on 1:00 to finish up.. odd-fast (whatever "fast" means anymore) even-recovery. 31/30/30/30/29 on the odds. So holding 1:15s should not have been the task it was.

I will avenge this, maybe in a month. That's a great test set but not something I'm looking to do weekly.

yeah, you're doing it wrong. Typically, when I did this type of set I'd start out ridiculously easy. The first 6 might be 1:30's or so, then increase pace just fast enough to make the interval.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ripple wrote:

yeah, you're doing it wrong. Typically, when I did this type of set I'd start out ridiculously easy. The first 6 might be 1:30's or so, then increase pace just fast enough to make the interval.
Ha! You're right, and I thought about doing that, like just focus on form and go 1:20/1:25 for the first 6 or so. But honestly in the water I turn into a mental midget (moreso than normal) and totally F'd it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, you're doing it wrong. Typically, when I did this type of set I'd start out ridiculously easy. The first 6 might be 1:30's or so, then increase pace just fast enough to make the interval. //

I have to agree with the others, this set is meant to be just barley made all the way through, and failure should be because of the interval, not your pace...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah ... the idea is to go easy on the front end.

You could reverse it like Arizona does in this video ...

Harder pace times just making it and more speed / rest at the end.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys.. yeah I don't know what I was thinking. By the time I realized I blew it and it was going to get ugly I just checked out mentally too. The nice thing is.. there are always other days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

If we’re not counting swim courses that were clearly shorter than advertised or downstream:

Olympic swim - 16:33
70.3 swim - 24:26
IM swim - 50:58

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I have an aspirational swim set. Aspirational in the sense that I aspire to complete it and I worry about aspirating during the set...

3x100 scy on 1:40, then 1:30, then 1:25, then 1:20. All consecutive, no extra rest.

Made most of the 1:25s today, no way on the 1:20s. I did a 1:17, 1:18 and 1:23 later on, but leaving on the 2:20!

Can you do that whole set? If so, what Olympic/ 70.3 times are you doing?

Finally got around to having a go at your set and the answer is no, I can't, not today anyway.

Just made the 2nd 100 of the 1:25 round, grabbed the buoy and stuffed it simultaneous with the push for an ugly 1-arm streamline. Made that 3rd one but lost a couple seconds getting thumbs into the finis agility paddles and just could not make it up over the course of that round, finishing 2 seconds off the mark. Could have done a straight 300 through the 1:20 round but wanted to stick with the set as written and went with the fastest open turns I could manage with a hand on the wall and a clock check.

On a good day I'm thinking maybe swim through the first on the 1:20 round but that would finish me. Looks like I'm stuck right about where you are with this set.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
In high school and college I made 100x100 on 1:05 for 3 consecutive years (pre-holidays torture set). Averaged about 1:01 on each 100, then rinse and repeat. It was more boring than a 3 hour trainer ride.
Now (15 years later) I could probably do your set down to 1:05 for 3 of them (depends on the day)
I'm generally swimming 25:xx and 53:xx in HIM and IM races

And you didn't eat or drink at all during the whole 1 hr and 48 min did you??? I haven't done the 100 x 100 in that form but I have swum the USMS 10K in the pool three times and never stopped at all for "refueling", which I think is a bit over-rated. Sure in an IM you need it but only a small amount of extra fuel is needed for a half and none for an Oly dist. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read this thread a while back and thought it was a fun idea so I gave it a go; a bit modified mind you ...

3 x 100 @ 1:45
3 x 100 @ 1:40
3 x 100 @ 1:35
3 x 100 @ 1:30
3 x 100 @ 1:25
3 x 100 @ 1:20
3 x 100 @ 1:15
3 x 100 @ 1:10
3 x 100 @ 1:05
1 x 100 @ 1:00 ... missed the 2nd 100 on 1:00

Was a great challenge set and will probably repeat it in the future. As a reference I have a swimming background (college) and my 70.3 swim PR is 24:37 (wetsuit) and 140.6 swim PR is 50:38 (wetsuit).

Quote | Reply
2 hours is generally considered the threshold at which your performance starts to degrade because your body exhausts your onboard reserves. So if you wanted to swim for 1:45 without eating and then do a second workout later that day, the second workout is likely going to be terrible, because your body can't replenish it's glycogen stores fast enough. Also, sure, you don't really need to fuel for an olympic tri or a half ironman, but you'll go faster if you do.

*Says a registered dietitian i worked with who is also a pro triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
2 hours is generally considered the threshold at which your performance starts to degrade because your body exhausts your onboard reserves. So if you wanted to swim for 1:45 without eating and then do a second workout later that day, the second workout is likely going to be terrible, because your body can't replenish it's glycogen stores fast enough. Also, sure, you don't really need to fuel for an olympic tri or a half ironman, but you'll go faster if you do.

*Says a registered dietitian i worked with who is also a pro triathlete.

Well, all i can say is that, based solely on my own experience, i have done literally 1000s of SBR workouts that exceeded 2 hrs and never bothered to eat anything. Personally i would say if you're planning to go over 3 hrs, that's when you might want to take some fuel in during the workout. Mainly though, I'm arguing against guys who say they can't do anything over one hour w/o refueling. Hell, I have one friend who says he can't swim longer than 30 min w/o taking in a gel. Give me an effing break!!! If that were true, 1000s of swimmers would have passed out back in the 90s when 25 hr/wk of swimming, plus dry-land, was still common. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [mhoffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 x 100 @ 1:00 ... missed the 2nd 100 on 1:00 //

Great job, that is a pro workout for sure. I dont think too many here could get through your set, even the point where you missed, a handful. Did you sandbag the first 20 or so to keep your chances to finish at a higher %? Like making early intervals by just 5 or 10 seconds, and later less than 5?? This would be a great set for all of our posters and lurkers here, see how far you can go. I'm doing more running than swimming now, but may try it as a pull set this week for a before standard...
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
1 x 100 @ 1:00 ... missed the 2nd 100 on 1:00 //

Great job, that is a pro workout for sure. I dont think too many here could get through your set, even the point where you missed, a handful. Did you sandbag the first 20 or so to keep your chances to finish at a higher %? Like making early intervals by just 5 or 10 seconds, and later less than 5?? This would be a great set for all of our posters and lurkers here, see how far you can go. I'm doing more running than swimming now, but may try it as a pull set this week for a before standard...

Yeah, I can think of only a couple of guys on here who could do that now. A lot more who could do it "back in the day", but being a few or 25 years removed from full-time college swimming, that's tough...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It was a lot of fun. Like a bunch of people have already mentioned this set boils down to balancing effort and rest; and being able to carry fatigue at the end. I cruised the 1:45-1:30 repeats, keeping it very long and relaxed (holding ~1:15-1:20). Once I got into the 1:25-1:20 repeats I ramped up the effort to holding about 1:08 pace, both to give myself a consistent 10+ seconds rest but also get the arm turnover up and get the "engine" ready for the harder effort still to come. This trend held true for the 1:15-1:10 repeats as well; brought it down to about 1:03 pace. Then the 1:05s were all around 1:00.

Quote | Reply
fun thread. I'm not going to be able to match mhoffman's effort, but I am sure I can get down to a 1:10 set for yards and make at least the first one at the 1:05 interval. Any faster and I might not have time to stop and start my watch. I'd probably skip the 1:40 and go straight to 1:30. I haven't done a set quite like this in a long time, usually I'll reverse it and start with something like 5x100 on 1:15 (scy), adding 5s to the interval every round, while still expecting to get faster.

I don't have a recent olympic or 70.3 swim to cite for you though; the last one I did in 2014 was a wetsuit swim in 22:48. Earlier this year I did a 2.2k open water race in 25:34, but there is a slight current (in 2016, the same race had a strong current, and I did it in 22:35). So that's about 300m longer than a 70.3 swim leg, but at much harder effort, and also just in a jammer, not a trisuit or swim skin or wetsuit.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
fun thread. I'm not going to be able to match mhoffman's effort, but I am sure I can get down to a 1:10 set for yards and make at least the first one at the 1:05 interval. Any faster and I might not have time to stop and start my watch. I'd probably skip the 1:40 and go straight to 1:30. I haven't done a set quite like this in a long time, usually I'll reverse it and start with something like 5x100 on 1:15 (scy), adding 5s to the interval every round, while still expecting to get faster.

I don't have a recent olympic or 70.3 swim to cite for you though; the last one I did in 2014 was a wetsuit swim in 22:48. Earlier this year I did a 2.2k open water race in 25:34, but there is a slight current (in 2016, the same race had a strong current, and I did it in 22:35). So that's about 300m longer than a 70.3 swim leg, but at much harder effort, and also just in a jammer, not a trisuit or swim skin or wetsuit.

I sense a winter challenge coming on!

Most improved between December and say March?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next