Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
All these years, never knew this was a thing

With 2014 almost half over, too late to jump in now [and I'm sure I'd be far FAR from competitive, anyway] but, for 2015 ...???

Jump in. There are a bunch of different levels.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev: i predict you'll find a way to hit 18,000 on or about Dec 28th!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I noticed on the BK challenge that you have it set to end Jan. 31, not Dec. 31...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question:

Do you have to log on ST for the Big Kahuna?

So far this year I have 317,266yds swim, 3672 miles bike and 1308 mile run. That's not too bad for a non-ironman year. Oh I think I calculated it as 12076 points

James - est. as a Triathlete 1983
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [BrotherTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up logging in February. All mine is through TrainingPeaks.

S: 613,000 yards -> 6130 points
B: 6944 miles -> 6944 points
R: 1542 miles -> 6168 points
Tot -> 19,242 points
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whoops! I'm not sure I can change it....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
whoops! I'm not sure I can change it....

I noticed this way back in January but just didn't say anything about it, since i think everyone in the BK Challenge understands that it is an annual, calendar year event:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do you find rules?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
jermon wrote:
What's the formula for the point system?

1 point = 100 yd swim = 1 mi bike = 1/4 mi run

The US is starting to recognize Cuba, perhaps soon the Metric system?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
jermon wrote:
What's the formula for the point system?

1 point = 100 yd swim = 1 mi bike = 1/4 mi run

The US is starting to recognize Cuba, perhaps soon the Metric system?

Possibly but I kind of doubt it. Think we're all too used to miles, yards, etc, but i must admit that the metric is much simpler once you get used to it. In much of my engineering work we use milligrams per liter (parts per million), micrograms per liter (parts per billion), etc, but then other things are still lbs/gallon, etc.

Besides, the Republicans are going to push back and not let Obama get away with this unilateral declaration, but any further discuss will have to be in the LR:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am super excited. Just got earned enough points for gold for the first year.
That was tough. Thanks for the challenge.

Nancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Dev: i predict you'll find a way to hit 18,000 on or about Dec 28th!

Well it is Dec 28th, and i need 415 points to hit 18000. 400 points is basically a 16-17 hour training week. So in the next 3 days I basically need 10,000 m of swimming that gives me 110 points, plus 200 miles biking, and then I need 105 points from running, so that's basically a marathon. In other words, I have to do my biggest training camp of the year which I did at Epicman Tremblant where I did 10,000m swimming, 280K biking and 46K or running in a weekend. The problem is it is dropping to minus 10 to minus 18 C for the next few days and there is no way I can do that much biking on the trainer....so 3 days short of the deadline, I think I will graciously throw in the towel on gold I did travel 130,000 miles this year, so that is basically 1 hour per day, every day of the year in an airplane, which is my excuse!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good try! I didn't make it either. I'm in a start up and suffering from a peroneal thing....

I'm actually in Puntas Arenas, Chile right now on call for our flight to Antarctica. Hopefully will get after the Vinson Masiff soon!

Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am super excited. Just got earned enough points for gold for the first year.
That was tough. Thanks for the challenge.

Congratulations :-) I have been trying to catch you all year, and it is not going to happen, but it was fun!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm actually in Puntas Arenas, Chile right now on call for our flight to Antarctica. Hopefully will get after the Vinson Masiff soon!

That's awesome. I hope you get out there.

p.s. I am ahead of you in Big Kahuna ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's going to be opposite next year- I'll be chasing you. If you increase your biking, you'll be unstoppable. As it is, w you swim and run - sheesh. You're amazing.

Here's to a happy and healthy New Year for us all !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm tracking for a solid silver. For the first part of the year the base work had me in line for Gold but with racing, tapering and recovering I fell back. No complaints though and credit to those who get there, a lot of credit...... it is a tough challenge and requires a lot of dedication to get there...I will average out at around 2.25 hours per day and still come in at circa 16300 points.

Great job to everyone who logged a workout..... wherever you ended up it is better than sitting on the sofa eating chips!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [mex99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just made it over 18000 with this morning's workout. Second year that I reach this mark. I'm definitely a procrastinator, had to increase the workload a bit in Nov/Dec to make sure I made it. Thanks everyone for the camaraderie and motivation, looking forward to 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missed out on my goal of Gold this year. I lost of lot of running due to an injury, but I'm pleased with my overall workload and am looking forward to Gold in 2015.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Dec 31, 14 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed out on gold but was close; need about 230 more points. Either a teeny bit more swimming needed, or more bike time... happy with the effort though. I did make gold last year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow! congrats! i was just happy to get bronze (I think? 12K+?).

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar deal...in reality, 1 more minute on each workout of the year, gets me the final few 100 points to go over 18000. When it comes to these things, it is not a single week or set of workouts. It is the summation of every tiny extra minute on the treadmill, or extra 100m in the pool, or adding an two 2 min extra hill climbs in during the bike commute home that add up to a lot. Look at it this way.....if you train 1 minute more per day, that is 365 minutes in a year, which is an extra 6 hours of training for the year...3 more minutes per day, is 18 hours of training....in other words, you can try to spread that 18 hours of training by adding 9 hours of training to two 15 hour weeks (making them 24 hour training weeks), or you can just commit to making every workout a touch longer....3-5 minutes per workout adds up over a year...last year I was just over 18000 points this year just a bit under with 760 hours. No magic though.....770-780 hours of so pushes me over the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah my swim averaged 1702 yards a day, which is literally a lap a day short of a mile per day average. It really is the very little extra minutes that push you over the top

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, makes an interesting point. Not so much for the challenge which is just for fun, but in terms of race performance I wonder how much gain would be made by pushing each workout say 3-5% longer. Physiologically, I am ready to stop at the end of a workout irrespective of length.... would I build mental and physical strength if I always pushed that bit further / harder?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. You killed it this last month! On to 2015
Quote Reply

Prev Next