Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I've registered just waiting for them to accept it then I'll ask the question. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 questions:

1) how to unbrick/reset a PC8 that doesn't respond - just say connect charger although it been plugged in for charge for a day

2) how do folks use PC8DeviceAgent on a 4k display, the text is too small and totally unreadable. The usual QT scale settings don't work (I'm guessing its build with QT4).

Thanks
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
2 questions:

1) how to unbrick/reset a PC8 that doesn't respond - just say connect charger although it been plugged in for charge for a day

Seems like you are saying you have a fully-charged but unresponsive PC8. Have you performed a hard reset (all 3 keys held down for a few seconds)?

The restart takes about a minute altogether, maybe less.

liversedge wrote:
2) how do folks use PC8DeviceAgent on a 4k display, the text is too small and totally unreadable. The usual QT scale settings don't work (I'm guessing its build with QT4).

Thanks
Mark
I'm afraid I haven't used DA on a 4k display.

Is there some sort of display scaling or desktop-wide scaling that could be used (temporarily) while you run DA? Not ideal but perhaps necessary for you?

My primary use of DA is to update settings on the PC8, and that happens maybe 1x/year. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
Seems like you are saying you have a fully-charged but unresponsive PC8. Have you performed a hard reset (all 3 keys held down for a few seconds)?

Yeah, that fixed it.

Thanks,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone knows what is "10:40h" in the altitude screen means?

Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [tommyhsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain the PC8 auto on setting? If it's enable, how will it differ when it's off? I'm not exactly following what it means by auto on.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Auto on means that when the PC8 detects movement via speed, or detects HR, or Power the timer/session will automatically start. Depends on how you set it. Also the screen won’t lock
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 25, 17 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [tommyhsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It means that the time axis currently shows 10 hours and 40 minutes. From the picture I estimate you were riding for about 8 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if auto on is off, I have to hit start when starting a ride?

I know it sounds like I’m asking stupid questions but I had auto on off and my ride still started when I started moving. Hence my confusion of the auto on setting.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have GPS enabled? If so it will start automatically even with auto on off.
Yes, if auto on is off you need to manually start the ride.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 25, 17 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Auto off:
Starting from the PC8 screen, if the bike moves nothing happens. You need to unlock the PC8 manually by holding mode, then the ride will start once movement is detected.
Auto on:
Starting from the PC8 screen, if the bike moves, the PC8 wakes up and the ride starts.

Do not manually lock, if you have a lock icon it will not wake up.

I could have explained it better, I was thinking you used a PC7 prior maybe which follows the same principles, apologize if I confused you.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 25, 17 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, finally knows what it means. The picture is just an online sample, not my record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Auto off:
Starting from the PC8 screen, if the bike moves nothing happens. You need to unlock the PC8 manually by holding mode, then the ride will start once movement is detected.
Auto on:
Starting from the PC8 screen, if the bike moves, the PC8 wakes up and the ride starts.

Do not manually lock, if you have a lock icon it will not wake up.

I could have explained it better, I was thinking you used a PC7 prior maybe which follows the same principles, apologize if I confused you.

Thank you! This is helpful. First time I have used a PC.

I had the screen unlocked and the ride started automatically when I started moving. Hence my confusion.

So it sounds like the best setting is auto on is turned on. Particularly for when I'm on long rides and stop to refuel and I stop longer than the standby time (or whatever its called). If I exceed the standby time, the ride should still auto start/resume.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, good for races also, zero offset prior to the swim, let it go to stand-by, if using GPS you will already be locked in, strip, roll and go.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 26, 17 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Kraaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An update:
The data loss I experienced was likely due to a problem with SRM software and Apple systems, specifically MacBook Air. I avoided the download problem by manually copying the files from the PC8 instead of using SRMX. I now use a PC, haven't had download issues.

However; I've also had the buttons fail. First time, condensation on the inside of the screen preceeded the failure of the SET button. Unit sent in and repaired under warranty.
Today, after not having used the unit for several weeks (never let the battery die in that time), the MODE button stopped working, no visible moisture. I guess I'll have to send it in, again.

Compaired to the Powercontrols I've used over the years to great satisfaction, my experience with the reliability of the PC8 is simply dissapointing. Luckily, I bought a used PC7 as a back-up unit, but with the price tag of the PC8 (nevermind the years it took to create this thing), I cannot reccommend it as a head unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Kraaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the disappointment in not having Bluetooth and the glacial pace of uploading via phone as Wifi hotspot, I hooked up a USB to micro USB adapter to my Android Galaxy phone and connected the PC8. My phone sees it as storage device and sees the files. While Strava and Training Peaks for Android don't have an upload activity from file choice, I think I could do it via the phone browser.

Update - it works in Chrome up to Strava. When I try to go to Training Peaks, it pushes me to the app.

Has anyone else tried something like this?
Last edited by: ptourkin: Jan 29, 18 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [ptourkin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to use the pc8 with others powermeter?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [shotojs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, just pair it like normal. I use it with a Powertap SL+ on occasion with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Yes, just pair it like normal. I use it with a Powertap SL+ on occasion with no issues.

I guess does not work with p2max and stage?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [shotojs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sensor pairing>> Select PowerMeter >>with SET (Select) key.>>> Press SET (Search) again to search for an available sensor.>>>>> The Search display shows a status bar while the PC8 searches for the PowerMeter. Should show a connected device. Now go to ANT+ Info to see specifics about the Powermeter just Paired.
Make sure the P2M and Stages are awake, also ensure that they are not connected to another head unit or Garmin watch. At least while trying to get the PC8 to find it, reminder that the PC8 is only ANT+ not Bluetooth, so if you’re sending signals that way, don’t. I’ve never had a Stages or a P2M. If it’s possible to turn off the Bluetooth in either? Let me know how it goes, I have another option, a little more work.
Last edited by: mike s: Feb 24, 18 4:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(general question, not to anyone in particular)
How is the GPS accuracy working for you in the PC8?
I see quite a big deviation after downloading the files, the trace does not accurately follow the roads. In out and back sections the traces are usually several meters apart. I often miss Strava segments.

I always wait for a full GPS signal before I start to ride (minimun 2 bars, but generally 3). I have included the "gps accuracy" field in the main screen to keep track of it, it hardly ever goes bigger than 10m, but I still see the trace off in the files.

Is this normal with the PC8 or do I have a defective unit? I have never had this problem with Garmin units. I'm in Europe, I contacted SRM but no answer. I asked in the srmservice forum but no explanation, just to start the ride with a full signal (which I do).
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [casio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GPS accuracy is not great for me. It sometimes veers off across fields and lakes, and I have missed Strava segments. A Garmin Edge does much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [casio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casio wrote:
(general question, not to anyone in particular)
How is the GPS accuracy working for you in the PC8?
I see quite a big deviation after downloading the files, the trace does not accurately follow the roads. In out and back sections the traces are usually several meters apart. I often miss Strava segments.

I always wait for a full GPS signal before I start to ride (minimun 2 bars, but generally 3). I have included the "gps accuracy" field in the main screen to keep track of it, it hardly ever goes bigger than 10m, but I still see the trace off in the files.

Is this normal with the PC8 or do I have a defective unit? I have never had this problem with Garmin units. I'm in Europe, I contacted SRM but no answer. I asked in the srmservice forum but no explanation, just to start the ride with a full signal (which I do).

I am a big fan of SRM for power measurement and recording, having used one since 1998, but if you are looking for accurate GPS information and recording, you should look elsewhere. When I first got my PC8 I tried using the GPS functions but the device took so long to lock onto the satellite signals - sometimes five plus minutes when my wife's $100 Garmin watch did it in seconds - that I simply gave up on it and switched it off to save the battery. I don't care about GPS as I don't do strava or any ride tracking like that so it's not a big deal but for others I can see how it would be a real PITA.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor SRM, man did they ever get disrupted after basically owning the market (along with powertap).
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Poor SRM, man did they ever get disrupted after basically owning the market (along with powertap).

Yup! I fear the real nail in their coffin only came recently with the release of the Shimano powermeter. Up until then SRM still had a lot of exposure on WT team bikes and had the marketing glow and prestige that comes from that. Shimano has used their muscle to get most of their sponsored teams on their powermeter. Shimano have had a few teething issues with their pm but once they sort them out, they will come to dominate that market I think, especially at the mid to higher end.

I hope Uli Schoberer made enough so far to retire happily.
Quote Reply

Prev Next