Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
Has anyone else run into any problems with the time and date readings on their PC8? Mine is currently telling me it's the 24th of August at 10:01am when it should be saying Aug 27th at 10:26am. This is despite me having the GPS on and set at 1sec for the last two days and getting good satellite reception the last two days over a cumulative three hours on the bike.

I have talked to SRM CO many times about this and they are stumped. There has been a firmware upgrade mentioned that will allow manual setting of the date and time (as you could do with every previous generation of Powercontrols - I can't imagine why they didn't have this on the PC8 to begin with) but there's still no word on when it will be released to the masses.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, but mine is 4min delay from the correct time. I've tried reboot PC8, upgrade firmware and reset to factory setting. But nothing solve the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [tommyhsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tommyhsu wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
Has anyone else run into any problems with the time and date readings on their PC8? Mine is currently telling me it's the 24th of August at 10:01am when it should be saying Aug 27th at 10:26am. This is despite me having the GPS on and set at 1sec for the last two days and getting good satellite reception the last two days over a cumulative three hours on the bike.

I have talked to SRM CO many times about this and they are stumped. There has been a firmware upgrade mentioned that will allow manual setting of the date and time (as you could do with every previous generation of Powercontrols - I can't imagine why they didn't have this on the PC8 to begin with) but there's still no word on when it will be released to the masses.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, but mine is 4min delay from the correct time. I've tried reboot PC8, upgrade firmware and reset to factory setting. But nothing solve the problem.

I did end up sending my original PC8 (Ser # 525) back to SRM and they sent me out a replacement. I've been using the new one for two weeks now and it has been flawless - no issues whatsoever. Now that I think back on it, there must have been other issues with my original PC8 as I used to have to do the three button reset a few times each week when my PC wouldn't recognize it. My replacement PC8 has a Ser # in the four thousands, so they have pumped out a good number of them and seem to have corrected the issues that plagued my original.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it means that there's no way I can fix/calibrate it myself? (reboot, update fireware, reset...etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tommyhsu wrote:
Does it means that there's no way I can fix/calibrate it myself? (reboot, update fireware, reset...etc)

I couldn't find a way, and I was battling the issue the whole time I had my original PC8, which was about a year. What's the serial number on yours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
tommyhsu wrote:

I couldn't find a way, and I was battling the issue the whole time I had my original PC8, which was about a year. What's the serial number on yours?

My PC8 had 4 digit serial number begining with 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tommyhsu wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
tommyhsu wrote:

My PC8 had 4 digit serial number begining with 2.

Your best bet is to contact SRM in Co. I gather that the next firmware update will include an option to manually set the date and time so that might help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
Your best bet is to contact SRM in Co. I gather that the next firmware update will include an option to manually set the date and time so that might help you.

Thanks.

I had finally fixed the problem, here is my method:

Connect to satellite and then reboot PC8, that's it !

I've try reboot before, but in the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tommyhsu wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:

Thanks.

I had finally fixed the problem, here is my method:

Connect to satellite and then reboot PC8, that's it !

I've try reboot before, but in the house.

Lucky you! My original wouldn't correct even after connecting to a satellite for a few hours each day for a week!

But I am all sorted now. Thanks to SRM for the great customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a problem

My SRM PC8 will not find GPS satellite. And that's even though I so out in the open countryside.

I never have any problems before and on Monday it worked as it should, but today it will not find GPS satellite.

I've tried to reinstall the firmware 2.1.8, but without entirely. I've also tried to reset by pressing the 3 buttons simultaneously. Also without success.

What could be wrong?

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe accidentally switch off the GPS function?

Last edited by: tommyhsu: Sep 22, 16 1:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GPS is on 1s, there was no errors.

This screen image appears after 8-10 minuttter

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Last edited by: Tillquist: Sep 22, 16 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PC8 is in for keypad replacement. The pro and mode button became next to impossible to activate. Fortunate for me SRM Oceania is intown and they are doing a next day turn around repair on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
My PC8 is in for keypad replacement. The pro and mode button became next to impossible to activate. Fortunate for me SRM Oceania is intown and they are doing a next day turn around repair on it.

are they replacing or repairing?

i visited SRM in germany -- the bonding of all the pieces to make it watertight is rather involved and has to be done carefully (in terms of temperature and duration).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll find out tomorrow! It was implied they would replace the keypad only. I assume they have all of the process and fixtures required at Oceania for the repair to avoid sending units back to Germany.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
I'll find out tomorrow! It was implied they would replace the keypad only. I assume they have all of the process and fixtures required at Oceania for the repair to avoid sending units back to Germany.

i'm sure they'll get you sorted.

they're pretty interesting devices when they're opened up--lots of stuff going on that is not evident from the outside w/r/t weather sealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [GPtony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI for referance: I finally got my PC8 elevation issue corrected. The unit was erroneously recording inaccurate elevation and would not respond to the auto or manual elevation setting mode. I've attached recordings from two different rides, note the huge anomolly the unit recorded vs. elevation correction (the red line) using Training Peaks. Not only was the profile way out of sync the gains and grade % climbed were out of whack.

Ended up sending it in to SRM CO for eval and turn out the unit needed to be rebuilt/replaced. Not sure of the exact problem but i imagine it had something to do with the pressure sensor in the unit. SRM took care of it under warranty. CO took care of me really well, wish service was this good with other manufactures.

I have no regrets with the purchase of my PC8. I used my PC7 while the 8 was in for service and was quickly reminded the huge improvement the 8 is over the 7

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Eric...

Thanks for the call yesterday. How do I restore my old PC8 to factory settings??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Pc8 was fixed great by SRM Oceania. Happy with the result and keypad.

On a more sour note. The Pc8 firmware to add wifi is now delayed to Q1 2017 per the following facebook comment. Sad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
My Pc8 was fixed great by SRM Oceania. Happy with the result and keypad.

On a more sour note. The Pc8 firmware to add wifi is now delayed to Q1 2017 per the following facebook comment. Sad.

Wow! I never thought I'd see my face on Slowtwitch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, just read through this fairly long thread. Good stuff.

Just got my PC8 with latest firmware 2.1.8 – 010318.

The totals in the History are incorrect (same totals for all rides and for current profile). In my case it just shows 65km while I did several rides and actually all of them were longer than 65km. Did a restart (not reset). Still the same.
Last edited by: ldr: Dec 11, 16 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I searched and didn't see anything in the thread about this. My wife has a PC8 and she's been getting speed dropouts. She is using GPS speed and has no speed sensors. On today's ride her Garmin 510 showed somethinglike 60 miles and her PC8 had around 48 including close to an hour with no speed at the end. I looked through all of the settings and didn't see anything that looked wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
I searched and didn't see anything in the thread about this. My wife has a PC8 and she's been getting speed dropouts. She is using GPS speed and has no speed sensors. On today's ride her Garmin 510 showed somethinglike 60 miles and her PC8 had around 48 including close to an hour with no speed at the end. I looked through all of the settings and didn't see anything that looked wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The real answer is to get an ANT+ speed pod and use that and not GPS for distance. You'll get far more accurate data with a minimum of fuss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
nslckevin wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The real answer is to get an ANT+ speed pod and use that and not GPS for distance. You'll get far more accurate data with a minimum of fuss.

We're frankly not that interested in super accurate data and not interested in putting on an ANT+ speed pod because it's GOT A GPS and that should be good enough for what she's looking for. ANT+ is it's own set of hassles. Change wheels, make sure there's a magnet. Are the magnets placed the same on all of your bikes, etc.. Whether the "61 mile" ride is really 60, 60.5, 61 miles, etc. isn't that important to her. But when the 61 mile ride shows as 40 miles, that's a bigger issue.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple I things:
Latest firmware?
Do a hard reset of the unit to clear satellite cache?
Is GPS on 1sec sensitivity?

Other than that you may have a unit with poor GPS reception.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
A couple I things:
Latest firmware?
Do a hard reset of the unit to clear satellite cache?
Is GPS on 1sec sensitivity?

Other than that you may have a unit with poor GPS reception.

I think you hit on it. As great as the PC8 is for tracking power and all other metrics, I don't think it's very good for GPS. I am on my second PC8, after having the first one replaced, and I still have issues with the time of day display. This thing just won't correct itself when it locks on to the GPS signal (which takes a while). It loses time and is currently running about 16 mins slow. I am awaiting the next firmware update that is said to have a manual clock reset option like all other SRM PCs have had over the years.

I love it for tracking power and such but it's not the first choice for GPS. Luckily, I don't care about GPS and I am not fussed about it, other than the time of day issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next