Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least the CTF - Crank Torque Frequnency - power protocol is documented in ANT+. CFT is what SRM Ant+ power meters normally use. The other abreviatiions I don't know.

Some powermeter broadcast several protocols. For example when I remember correctly my powertap G3 broadcast Power Only and Wheel Torque Frequency. From WTF you can calculate speed, from PO not. The protocol can make a difference. I could also think about powermeters sending ANT+ and BTE protocols.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding intervals and laps working in Strava, looks like a no go:

"We heard back from our SRM contact today - and unfortunately, it appears that they're not going to make the changes for the files to parse laps properly. You may want to try contacting them to get more information.
I apologize for the undesired result. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask."

I also sent a note to WKO4 chief developer, and he said they will have it working in the next 1-2 releases. Something to think about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey , i want to Buy a PC8 SRM , but can i run a power meter cadence sensor and a heart rate monitor on the PC8 with out reacting the battery to much , with out the black light on could i do a 143 miles or more on the PC8, I have Garmin Edge 1000 it is good for Nav , but it drains my Battery out so quickly , i was wondering , if i upgrade to the PC8 i would benefit me . Its a lots for a computer device , i just want make sure i am doing the right move, when i start riding the device starts the run with out pressing a button on the device , dose it stop and go into sleep mood when your at a coffee stop ? many thanks Elliot
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [elliot22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elliot22 wrote:
hey , i want to Buy a PC8 SRM , but can i run a power meter cadence sensor and a heart rate monitor on the PC8 with out reacting the battery to much , with out the black light on could i do a 143 miles or more on the PC8

I have raced 204 miles with the PC8 (9 hours) and had power remaining. In my experience, 10% of the battery is good for ~2-3h of riding. This is with GPS set to 1s updates and power + HR via ANT+.

How long will your longest event last?

elliot22 wrote:
I have Garmin Edge 1000 it is good for Nav , but it drains my Battery out so quickly , i was wondering , if i upgrade to the PC8 i would benefit me .

In my experience, Garmin devices drain battery a bit more quickly, but I haven't used the Edge 1000. (I've used the 5xx, 8xx and many prior Garmin devices.)

elliot22 wrote:
Its a lots for a computer device , i just want make sure i am doing the right move, when i start riding the device starts the run with out pressing a button on the device , dose it stop and go into sleep mood when your at a coffee stop ? many thanks Elliot

You can customize the amount of time you want before the device times out/goes into sleep mode. I don't stop for coffee on my rides, so I can't answer that question specifically. ;-)

If I can help you get a PC8 (full disclosure--as mentioned earlier in the thread, I am a dealer), I am happy to do so...or to answer any other questions for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [ghostwind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ghostwind wrote:

"We heard back from our SRM contact today - and unfortunately, it appears that they're not going to make the changes for the files to parse laps properly. You may want to try contacting them to get more information.
I apologize for the undesired result. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask."

I also sent a note to WKO4 chief developer, and he said they will have it working in the next 1-2 releases. Something to think about.

can you help me understand what the issue is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laps/intervals that are recorded on a PC8 do not show up correctly in Strava (and looks like they won't) or WKO (fix on the way). Say you start a lap/interval 30min into a ride. Instead of showing the lap at 30min start time, it places it a 0min, so the metrics associated with it are all wrong. Try it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ghostwind wrote:
Laps/intervals that are recorded on a PC8 do not show up correctly in Strava (and looks like they won't) or WKO (fix on the way). Say you start a lap/interval 30min into a ride. Instead of showing the lap at 30min start time, it places it a 0min, so the metrics associated with it are all wrong. Try it!

I'm an infrequent Strava user and have never paid attention to laps. I have seen some issues with laps in WKO4, but I've also occasionally seen that with other head units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ghostwind wrote:

I have told the same problem for about 2 months ago. so it is a known issue With Strava.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two questions-are their any watches that work with the srm8 heart rate strap??I agree with you I would rather have more battery life than GPS but I am having trouble disabling it,any tips.Many thanks for your response (and the 2 srm 8s Ipurchased from you)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [carbonsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbonsport wrote:
two questions-are their any watches that work with the srm8 heart rate strap??I agree with you I would rather have more battery life than GPS but I am having trouble disabling it,any tips.Many thanks for your response (and the 2 srm 8s Ipurchased from you)

the strap is ANT+, so any watch with ANT+ capabilities should work.

the older strap included with some PC7s was ANT (no "+"), so it only worked with some watches. my Suunto Ambit2 worked with the ANT strap as well as ANT+.

i miss using that Suunto Dual ANT strap; it was the best i've owned in terms of reliability of signal, no spikes. Wish I could find an ANT+ strap as reliable. i've used all iterations of the garmin straps as well as a number of others. i currently use a polar strap with the SRM (branded) electronics. open to suggestions if anyone has one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of observations on the new firmware.
  • Battery life in standby does appear to be improved.
  • My unit now actually wakes up from standby when moved.
  • BUG: Upon asking for calibration to my quarq, it will display the "sent" message, then display over the top of the sent message the "failed" message before returning the calibration success message text cleanly.
  • The direction field now works properly. It will display the moving direction as degrees and heading. 180 S or 90 E
  • PRO+Set now works to reset a ride now working.
  • I have paired by PC8 with the computer but it doesn't come up as a device in file manager.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Couple of observations on the new firmware.
  • BUG: Upon asking for calibration to my quarq, it will display the "sent" message, then display over the top of the sent message the "failed" message before returning the calibration success message text cleanly.

I also observe this bug using a Rotor power meter (dual).
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [BergHügi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTF: Crank Torque Frequency
· Manufacturer: SRM
· The measured frequency is transmitted to the head unit
· Zero offset and slope are required for torque calculation
· Power Calculation requires crank revolution time
TAW: Torque at Wheel
· Manufacturer: PowerTap
· Torque and wheel revolution time are transmitted to head unit
· Measured in hub at rear wheel
RCP: Ready Calculated Power
· the power is calculated by the measuring device, and transmitted to the head unit
TAC: Torque at Crank
· Manufacturer: all not listed above
· Torque and crank revolution time are transmitted to head unit
· In addition to TAC most also transmit RCP
· measured only at pedal oder bottom bracket

BergHügi wrote:
At least the CTF - Crank Torque Frequnency - power protocol is documented in ANT+. CFT is what SRM Ant+ power meters normally use. The other abreviatiions I don't know.

Some powermeter broadcast several protocols. For example when I remember correctly my powertap G3 broadcast Power Only and Wheel Torque Frequency. From WTF you can calculate speed, from PO not. The protocol can make a difference. I could also think about powermeters sending ANT+ and BTE protocols.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paired via Bluetooth? How?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [ptourkin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new firmware has an option to enable bluetooth in the menu. After doing that, a bluetooth device search on my laptop showed the PC8. Was able to then go through a pairing process on the computer and PC8. PC8 was connected/paired but that was it. It doesn't show up as an accessible device through windows or SRMX/Device Manager though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had issues with the elevation on the PC8?
Mine has been working great, but yesterday I did some climbing in cloudy/rainy conditions (On climb of know elevation).
I had a full lock on GPS before starting.
GPS properly calculated the 1st two climbs-
On the 3rd climb (exact same climb as 2nd climb)- it was missing approximately half of the vertical.
Same thing happened on 4th climb-
In total I was missing about 1600 feet of vertical for my day.
When I downloaded the PC8, the climbs that were missing the vertical appeared to be much more gradual than they actually are-
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still more issues with PC8-
I did global reset-
Today PC8 refused to show a connection with Satellite for GPS. Therefore it would not show speed. It still showed vertical gain, time, etc.
Had frequent dropouts on display but all data was there on download-
Halfway through it showed four bars- but still would not show speed.
When I downloaded, the file showed accurate time, vertical, power, etc.- but no distance?
Not sure what is up- calling SRM in morning.
Last edited by: bootsie_cat: Nov 1, 15 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading that a few are having dropout issues with their power and/or cadence readings, but has anyone had issues with speed sensors dropping out to either zero or a blank/dash?

I use the inbuilt Giant Ridesense sensor on my Propel - have had no problems with it previously with the DA9000 SRM coupled to either a 510 or 800. However constantly having issues with the PC8 with both GPS on or Off (set to Sensor) being used for speed. Seems to be reading about 30% less distance wise as a result too (ie today a quick 40km lap reading 26km).
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [Carrots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/N_Bens/status/664695165810950145

SRM PC8 not waterproof?

What a joke.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got my pc8 today after a long wait and wondered, do I need my speed sensor from my pc7 on the bike still? Is there gps reliable enough to to ditch it now?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [cr3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cr3 wrote:
I just got my pc8 today after a long wait and wondered, do I need my speed sensor from my pc7 on the bike still? Is there gps reliable enough to to ditch it now?

What type of device you use for a particular data channel depends on what you intend to use the data for. e.g. I'd strongly recommend a wheel speed sensor and not GPS for field testing of aerodynamics.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Campagnolo PM7 srm power meter and use it for training and racing on my road bike and was hoping I could get rid of the speed sensor now but wondered what people's thoughts were on that? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went PC7>PC8, removed speed sensor, use GPS, works great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cr3 wrote:
I have a Campagnolo PM7 srm power meter and use it for training and racing on my road bike and was hoping I could get rid of the speed sensor now but wondered what people's thoughts were on that? Thanks
Again it depends on the application you intend to use the data for.

Training and racing on a road bike isn't specific enough.

e.g. if you need to test aerodynamics to a reasonable level of precision (say you want to test road helmets or skinsuits or wheels or tyre choices), or want quality speed/distance data when racing around a circuit, or for inspecting rate of change in velocity or peak velocities from sprint training, then you'll want wheel speed data. All stuff a roadie may well be interested in using speed data for.

Or not.

If however you just want to know how many miles you ride, then GPS is fine. Unless you often ride places where gaining the GPS signal is problematic. I'd say indoor trainer as well but you are using power meter to record intensity and duration, not speed sensor.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the SRM PC8 [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtingley wrote:
Went PC7>PC8, removed speed sensor, use GPS, works great

+1
Quote Reply

Prev Next