Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alan Couzens wrote:
Hey Jeff,

I wouldn't argue that there isn't a genetic component to durability but my experience has been that the athletes who need to do more are also the athletes who are able to tolerate more, i.e. 'talented' athletes have a tendency to be fragile, while athletes who lose the genetic lottery on the former tend to be more hardy. I see this as a 'thoroughbred v workhorse' classification.

Still, the above is theoretical for most as it's not genetics but lifestyle that limits most athletes from a durability perspective..
* Excessive intensity/inadequate base
* Poor nutrition
* Inadequate sleep
* Taking on too many life stressors.

When athletes are unable to hit relatively high annual training loads, 9 times out of 10, one or more of the above factors are at play.

This is interesting to me. I never thought of any relationships between durability/hardiness and talent/genetics. The idea that "talented athletes have a tendency to be fragile" is something I've never heard

I haven't thought of myself as genetically gifted, but I've gone sub-4:30 in 70.3 off 7-8 hours/week. I'm trying to push up my volume in order to do well at the IM distance, but have been feeling under recovered. I've taken it as a sign that my body might not be ready to handle 15-20 hrs/week for months on end (yet), but given your comment above it would also be some combination of excessive intensity/inadequate base and/or Taking on too many life stressors (three kids between 4-10 ain't a cake walk); I've focused on getting more sleep and my nutrition is pretty solid.

I'm in it for the long haul though, not simply a "one and done" IM athlete. So with patience I hope I'll be able to get at least within the ballpark of my potential.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
I was thinking more in terms of intensity. Were you going really easy on the easy days and at the right intensity on the hard days? From what you write I get the impression that you were trying to hit a certain speed at every session.
I don't mind going 8 min/mile, or even more, on my easy days. But for tempo runs I typically go 6.20 and on the track I am in the 5.45 - 6.00 range for threshold intervals. And I leave the ego (most days at least) at the door step regardless of session.
Same on the bike, but more in terms of a combination of power/RPE/HR than speed.
(1.30/100 in the pool is a different matter. That is more like all out for me after 2-3 reps on X x 100 than threshold )

Schnell - The "easy/hard" approach never seemed to work for me. I've found that I'll often feel good and can go had 2 or even 3 days in a row before I need a few easy days. So, I mainly train acc to how I feel on the day, e.g. I go hard when I feel good and not hard otherwise. I did that back in the 90s and I do it today. I'm not a believer in "key workouts" or "every workout must have a goal" but rather my best results have come off of the aggregate work over several months.

I read an interview in Runners World mag about 8-10 yrs ago where they interviewed the fastest Amer half mary guy. Can't recall his name but he went like 1:01. His training consisted of running 13-15 miles every day, 7 days/wk, for a total of 100 mi/wk. About 2 or 3 days per week, he would run the last 3 miles as hard as he could. He did no "tempo runs" or intervals or anything "fancy" like that. This is the way I have always trained, both in swimming as well as the B and R. In swimming, most coaches are big on descending sets, e.g. go faster throughout the set, so I'm very used to this type of training.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

OK, let me be the first then: I swam Masters in my 20s and was swimming 40,000 yd/wk for 4 yrs pre-tri, so I had a pretty good fitness base before tri. When I took up the B and R at age 30, I trained 20 hr/wk, 50 weeks/yr, for 10 yrs. I focused mainly on Oly dist (5-6 races/yr) and half irons (2/yr). Despite training more than anyone else I know, the best I could do, on my very best days, was 2:10 for an Oly dist and 4:42 for a half. This was back in the mid to late 90s when you could KQ in Oly dist races and half irons. The KQ guys were going 1:58-59 in the Oly and 4:15-ish in the half, in the 30-34 and 35-39 AGs.

How many IM races did you do during that time period? I know there weren't many in the mid to late '90s, because that's when I was trying to KQ. I think the quantity of training you were doing would probably have led you to more AG success in an IM than a HIM or Oly. The "1000 hours" guarantee that AC appears to be making is for qualifying at an IM for Kona.

I qualified at IM Canada in '99 and '00 at ages 40 and 41, both rolldown spots, with finish times of 10:58 and 10:53. Those were the only IM races I did those years (other than Kona). I qualified at Blackwater HIM in '97 with a 4:34 (third in AG, first rolldown spot) but that was only the first or second year it had Kona spots and there were 500 to 700 total participants in the race. I did multiple Kona qualifying events around the country from '95 through '00.

I certainly didn't train 1000 hours those years, more in the 650 to 700 range. I wasn't married or in a serious relationship, didn't have kids and had a paper-pushing desk job where I rarely worked more than 42 hours per week. Triathlon was my social life. I had been competing regularly in running and multisport events for more than 20 years. My fastest open marathon was a 3:08. I may have been able to compete at a D3 level as a cyclist if there was such a thing.

I'm only bringing up my KQ history because Eric discussed trying to qualify in the same time period. The competition for KQ spots is obviously much deeper now than 20 years ago.

Mark - I wish that I could say that my 1000 hr/yr made me more comp at the IM dist but sadly that is simply not the case. What I have found is that I am at my peak position-wise at the end of the swim, e.g. in my 30s/40s I could be 5th or 6th OA out of the water, and then the fast bikers start to pass me, then the runners. In sum, I do better the less time the bike and run take, which is typically the Oly dist. In an Oly, I'd typically be say 5th OA out of the water and then maybe 20th OA at end of race. In my last half iron, I was 6th OA OOTW and then 66th OA at the finish. And then in a full iron, it just gets worse. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

OK, let me be the first then: I swam Masters in my 20s and was swimming 40,000 yd/wk for 4 yrs pre-tri, so I had a pretty good fitness base before tri. When I took up the B and R at age 30, I trained 20 hr/wk, 50 weeks/yr, for 10 yrs. I focused mainly on Oly dist (5-6 races/yr) and half irons (2/yr). Despite training more than anyone else I know, the best I could do, on my very best days, was 2:10 for an Oly dist and 4:42 for a half. This was back in the mid to late 90s when you could KQ in Oly dist races and half irons. The KQ guys were going 1:58-59 in the Oly and 4:15-ish in the half, in the 30-34 and 35-39 AGs.

How many IM races did you do during that time period? I know there weren't many in the mid to late '90s, because that's when I was trying to KQ. I think the quantity of training you were doing would probably have led you to more AG success in an IM than a HIM or Oly. The "1000 hours" guarantee that AC appears to be making is for qualifying at an IM for Kona.

I qualified at IM Canada in '99 and '00 at ages 40 and 41, both rolldown spots, with finish times of 10:58 and 10:53. Those were the only IM races I did those years (other than Kona). I qualified at Blackwater HIM in '97 with a 4:34 (third in AG, first rolldown spot) but that was only the first or second year it had Kona spots and there were 500 to 700 total participants in the race. I did multiple Kona qualifying events around the country from '95 through '00.

I certainly didn't train 1000 hours those years, more in the 650 to 700 range. I wasn't married or in a serious relationship, didn't have kids and had a paper-pushing desk job where I rarely worked more than 42 hours per week. Triathlon was my social life. I had been competing regularly in running and multisport events for more than 20 years. My fastest open marathon was a 3:08. I may have been able to compete at a D3 level as a cyclist if there was such a thing.

I'm only bringing up my KQ history because Eric discussed trying to qualify in the same time period. The competition for KQ spots is obviously much deeper now than 20 years ago.

Mark - I wish that I could say that my 1000 hr/yr made me more comp at the IM dist but sadly that is simply not the case. What I have found is that I am at my peak position-wise at the end of the swim, e.g. in my 30s/40s I could be 5th or 6th OA out of the water, and then the fast bikers start to pass me, then the runners. In sum, I do better the less time the bike and run take, which is typically the Oly dist. In an Oly, I'd typically be say 5th OA out of the water and then maybe 20th OA at end of race. In my last half iron, I was 6th OA OOTW and then 66th OA at the finish. And then in a full iron, it just gets worse. :)

I guess you tried everything, but let me ask you 2 questions:
1) did you do in training bike-sessions like 5*5 minutes all out?
2) did you eat in the IM during the bike and the marathon at least 80g carbohydrates per hour?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he addressed this in his response to me. He didn't to specific sessions, but rather went by daily feel.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
I think he addressed this in his response to me. He didn't to specific sessions, but rather went by daily feel.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink :)

In one post he complained that he wasn't seeing the results from 1k hours, but then in another admits it had almost no focus or purpose. So most of us would say you get out of something what you put in.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I guess you tried everything, but let me ask you 2 questions:
1) did you do in training bike-sessions like 5*5 minutes all out?
2) did you eat in the IM during the bike and the marathon at least 80g carbohydrates per hour?

No, i did not do any 5*5 min all out as this type of training was never discussed back in the 90s. The focus then was on doing as many miles as possible. Eddy Merckx said "ride lots", and I don't recall Greg Lemond or Lance ever talking about 5*5. Doing lots of miles seemed to work pretty well for Mark Allen and Dave Scott.

While I never did the 5*5, I did routinely ride the last 30 min of a trainer ride, or outdoor ride, as hard as I could. Did this type of workout many many times on the bike as well as on the run and swim.

And yes, I did take in at least 80 g carbs per hr. That is 320 cal if using an all-carb mix and I was doing 350-400 cal of all carbs, or about 90-100 g carb/hr.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think from memory Eric spent a lot of those “1000 hours” via bike commute.

To be clear even if it was actually 1k hours per year, that is exorcise not training. Still awesome and would lead to some great low end benefits that you could actually start training from but if you’ve never done that who knows?

Also he never signed up and raced an IM.

Also a mid 10’s in the 90’s would have gotten you in to Kona....pretty much in most age groups if you banged on the door a bit.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now it starts to make a lot more sense. I was really amazed by 10 years of 1000hours/year and falling short of KQ. Like, is this the counter example we have all been waiting for?

Then it turns out that he didn't do Vo2-max work, not even threshold sessions. He didn't have a plan, but rather strolled around in the gray zone like a blind man searching in unfamiliar terrain.

And now you add the "free wheeling down to the local pool on his commuter" logged as training.

"I kinda reached my genetic potential, you know. Did 10k training hours of focused training and everything. Still didn't KQ"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be clear even if it was actually 1k hours per year, that is exorcise not training. Still awesome and would lead to some great low end benefits that you could actually start training from but if you’ve never done that who knows?

——

I think “commuting” hours really are interesting. I have one athlete who commutes 30 mins total per day and I don’t even take it into account. But then I know of some who have an hour of riding and thus actually use that time “wisely” (they have work showers etc).

6 miles Of riding per day isn’t imo going to change or fatigue an person like 20-30 mile daily commute. And then of course if it’s a commute where you can’t shower etc after then you’ll ride it much differently than if you could etc.

So if your telling me your doing 1k a year and a lot if that is commuting you probaly better be smart with it or else it’s kinda a “waste”. A waste in that riding 30 total miles easy/slow while has a benefit obviously but what does it do to your other training? Are you wasting time you could be better training? Are you using that as the bulk of your biking?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the one hand, you have a pretty well respected coach saying that if you put in 1000 hrs per year, yiu are overwhelmingly likely to KQ.

On the other hand, you have 2 guys who were basically self coached and winging it, did a lot of volume, but didn’t get to that point.

I know who I’d put my money on. There’s nothing wrong with self coaching and winging it, and there’s a lot you can achieved with that approach. But that only takes you so far. I’m basically self coached (ish) at the moment, but I know that if I wanted to take a serious run at a national record or beyond I’d need to be properly coached by someone smarter and more experienced than me.

The genetics excuse kinda just seems like an excuse to me, rather than admit that maybe there’s lots that you don’t know that’s a convenient scapegoat that takes the agency out of your hands. “Well, I did everything I could do...”

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Also a mid 10’s in the 90’s would have gotten you in to Kona....pretty much in most age groups if you banged on the door a bit.
Maurice

Nope, zero commuting. Typical day would be starting at about 5 PM: ride 30 miles, run 6 mi, then swim 4000 yds, shower, get home around 9.30 pm, take dog for 1 hr walk, eat, go to be around midnight, sleep 'til 7 am. Weekends Sat would be 5000 yd sw/60 mi bk/14 mi run. Sunday would be 3000/20/4. 3 to 4 days per week I would try to go as hard as I could during last part of each workout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric,

If you did IMs during that time period (still not sure) and your in-race nutrition was good I'd guess you didn't race as well as expected because your taper was inadequate and that you carried too much fatigue into the IM events. From your description of your training in the post right above this post, I'm also not seeing any long rides or runs (100+B, 20R) or recovery days, which were certainly emphasized back in the day.

To those that write that commuting is not training, I disagree. I commuted to work on my bike during all my IM training years and still do and I think it definitely contributes to my fitness. I qualified for Kona three times in four years without a coach. As I wrote in my earlier post, there was a lot less competition to KQ 20 years ago, but I think most AGers who qualified during that time period were self coached except maybe for coaching they received in group swim training. We raced at a variety of distances and trained as much as we could without breaking down or getting slower in races. As Fleck as written many times here, it isn't really that complicated.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 23, 19 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Alan, quick question.

You had mentioned that there are some similarities in your prescriptions to what Dr. Seiler advocates. I was wondering if you could explain a bit more. It appears that Seiler advocates for us to train mostly below LT1 and you sound like you advocate training mostly right at LT1. Is this just a semantics issue or is there a clear difference? As an example, when I try to stay below 75% max HR, I usually average around 70-72%, while it sounds like you're advocating averaging closer to 75%. While it may sound like splitting hairs, that extra training load adds up over 1 year without a huge metabolic cost since you have said that is right around fat max.

I also listened to the first interview with Mikael so I might be blending the two.

Thanks for your responses.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Alan Couzens wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
I am curious about the last bullet point - too many life stressors. What would be some of the examples? Having kids? A demanding job? Financial struggles?

Exactly. Take on all 3 of the above stressors at the same time (esp. young kids without additional support) and most athletes' stress bucket is entirely full! IOW, their tolerance for also throwing a bunch of training stress into the mix is essentially non-existent.

These stressors are true limiters but there are plenty of under 33 yr old men with no kids who train 10-12 hrs per week for years and def aren't close to kq let alone local tri age group podium.

That's a genetics limiter. They are not going to become kw rock stars by doubling training hours unless they were slacking off to start with.

Yep I was in that group for running before tri. Not even as fast as the worst d3 runner.

This was me in my early 30's. Averaged about 8-9 hours a week usually, and around 10-12 hours a week in a 16-20 week build for a race. On that type of volume I managed a 4:43 Half IM. In addition, my training was all over the place. Missing sessions, sometimes even whole weeks.

I didn't know how lucky I was. I had a job that let me run or swim at lunch, and supportive family that gave me flexibility to train on weekends.

Now I'm in my late 30's with injuries and a new job with limited flexibility and lots of travel, am out of shape, and that type of fitness seems like a distant memory I'll never get back.

I look back and think damn, if I had of had the discipline to even just build volume to 15 hours a week for a year, and hold consistency every week and every session I could've done so much more. Nothing special, just doing the work as required. Oh well, hopefully life circumstances change in the near future and I can do things properly this time around

I am of the opinion that most people could do much better results on the hourly amount of training they do (or on even less hours) if they trained better. However, I have started to believe more that there is a quite significant genetic component as well.

I have previously stated on this forum that anyone could do a sub 5-hours 70.3 off five hours training/week, and have been flogged for that statement. Reading many people's stories of how much training they put in I have started to agree with the view that the individual variations are real and substantial.

I have averaged just below five hours/week the last four years (and even less before) and have managed a personal best 4:45 70.3 during this period. My peak week has been approx. 17-20 hours each year (the yearly bike week at Mallorca with friends), but apart from that nearly no week with above ten hours of training.

This year I built really good bike fitness during the first four months of the year off 6,75 hours/week (almost exclusive biking). I can probably get to approx. 4 W/kg in four-six weeks from more or less any state of fitness (and will plateau thereabout). For me, with two small children and a demanding full-time work (both for me and my wife), seven hours/week is pretty much what I can max without building up too much fatigue from my combined life stressors. Luckily, this has proven to take me much longer than most people can do on twice the amount of hours put in. I am far from a genetic freak or superhuman, but I have realized and am thankful for that I have a lot better genetic predisposition for endurance sports than many others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Maurice

Nope, zero commuting. Typical day would be starting at about 5 PM: ride 30 miles, run 6 mi, then swim 4000 yds, shower, get home around 9.30 pm, take dog for 1 hr walk, eat, go to be around midnight, sleep 'til 7 am. Weekends Sat would be 5000 yd sw/60 mi bk/14 mi run. Sunday would be 3000/20/4. 3 to 4 days per week I would try to go as hard as I could during last part of each workout.

From memory so perhaps I am confusing you with another poster.

Currently, if you’ll entertain me:

What AG are you in?

Kids or no kids?

Is your work 40 hours/week clock in/clock out or management etc at 50-60 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, the "smarter and more experienced" part is important, but even more important is the ability to stay objective. I can't do that with my own training.

"No days off for you, mr" is pretty much the attitude I am giving myself, which is ridiculous. When friends and people I help with training ask me what to do, and they tell me they are tired etc, I'm always preaching caution. But when I'm hardly able to get out of bed, I still whip my ass six ways from Sunday if that is what my original planning says.

Yes, I am getting a coach now. Even though I am stupid, my GF is pretty bright.
Last edited by: Schnellinger: Jun 23, 19 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am getting a coach now. Even though I am stupid, my GF is pretty bright.

--------

That statement has many questions.....

Are you saying she has a coach and is smart or are you saying that the GF is going to be the coach (that can be very very hard on relationship)?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was unclear?

What I wanted to get through was that my GF has made me realize that I need a coach. This would have been obvious for a smart person but I needed someone to explain it to me. She does not have a coach and is not a coach herself.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I am not replying to anyone in particular here.

I am reading a lot about GENETICS. Like, what does that even mean. Is there a threshold here that someone with good genetics can get to, someone with average genetics, and someone with terrible endurance genetics? If we were to look at Sprint/Oly/Half/Full distances races. What would those items be for your age groupers. Clearly I am leaving the pros out of this conversation as they clearly have the work ethic and genetics...or perhaps are just genetic freaks and would be good with zero work ethic. (It happens, and we should all get over it)

I will take a stab at each one of these. Let's assume a medium difficulty course and normal temperatures of say 70 degrees F with modest humidity, and otherwise average weather. Also assuming average equipment. The athlete puts in on average amount of work in. All things equal here (with the exception of GENETICS)...I think we all get it.

Sprint:
Genetically Gifted - 55 mins
Genetically Average - 1:00
Genetically Unfortunate - 1:15

Oly:
G - 1:55
A - 2:05
U - 2:35

Half:
G - 3:55
A - 4:20
U - 5:15

Full:
G - 8:50
A - 9:35
U - 11:30

Once again, these are guesses. Just what I believe to be the achievable. Would love everyones thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Lifetri -

Your posted times belies that you are almost certainly in the "I'm lucky to have pretty decent natural talent in tri but I totally take it for granted" camp.

Here is your criteria from your very post:

Let's assume a medium difficulty course and normal temperatures of say 70 degrees F with modest humidity, and otherwise average weather. Also assuming average equipment. The athlete puts in on average amount of work in. All things equal here (with the exception of GENETICS)...I think we all get it.

Oly:

Seriously? 2:05 Oly for a 'medium difficulty' course on AVERAGE work = "average"???? Just look at almost any race results outside the national Oly championships, and a 2:05 puts you into the top 5%, and sometimes even wins the overall outright.

If you are the kind of guy that an achieve a 2:05 on 'average' training, meaning the same hours and relative intensity than a unlucky but hardworking guy (me), you are looking at this entire thread from the highly unbalanced rose-colored glasses of someone with significant talent.

Here's a better exercise - throw out ALL of your n=1 personal data, and look at the bulk of everyone else's results. Just go to any local, medium, and small race, and look how many people are finishing at the times you posted, and see if the reality is more likely that your n=1 results are skewed from someone who is probably a very good responder to tri training, compared to your hypothesized reality that the main reason why people aren't going 2:05 Oly (and the other times) is that they're so lazy and unmotivated that they can't even train enough for an AVERAGE plan. Yeah, right.

At least from this link, the AVERAGE finish time for an Oly tri in 2011 was 3hrs. Start from that reality and work backwards.

Last edited by: lightheir: Jun 23, 19 15:56
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Eric,

If you did IMs during that time period (still not sure) and your in-race nutrition was good I'd guess you didn't race as well as expected because your taper was inadequate and that you carried too much fatigue into the IM events. From your description of your training in the post right above this post, I'm also not seeing any long rides or runs (100+B, 20R) or recovery days, which were certainly emphasized back in the day.
To those that write that commuting is not training, I disagree. I commuted to work on my bike during all my IM training years and still do and I think it definitely contributes to my fitness. I qualified for Kona three times in four years without a coach. As I wrote in my earlier post, there was a lot less competition to KQ 20 years ago, but I think most AGers who qualified during that time period were self coached except maybe for coaching they received in group swim training. We raced at a variety of distances and trained as much as we could without breaking down or getting slower in races. As Fleck as written many times here, it isn't really that complicated.

Mark - I didn't do any IMs due to my very limited success in half irons. Best half time was 4:42, on a flat course, no wind, 75-ish and cloudy, so pretty much perfect conditions. That was the only time I broke 5 hrs. So, given such limited success in the semi-long races, I chose to focus on Oly dist races. Was able to go 2:10-2:15 on regular basis which would put me 2nd to 4th in my AG in regional races. In bigger races like Memphis in May where you could actually KQ in the Oly dist race, I'd go 2:10-2:12 but the KQ guys in my AG 35-39 and 40-44) were going 1:58-59. As I know you know, it is a HUGE gap between a 2:10 and 1:59. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Maurice

What AG are you in?
Kids or no kids?

Maurice - I am 64 now, 65 in Jan 2020. Never had any kids. I'm retired now but when I worked I was an engineer and sometimes a manager/leader. I spent a lot of time in the USAF so you were a "leader" not just a "manager". Definitely not a clock in/clock out but generally most places I worked were fine with flex hours.

Also - please see my response to Mark Lemmon above about why I never bothered to try an IM.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
@Lifetri -

Your posted times belies that you are almost certainly in the "I'm lucky to have pretty decent natural talent in tri but I totally take it for granted" camp.

Here is your criteria from your very post:

Let's assume a medium difficulty course and normal temperatures of say 70 degrees F with modest humidity, and otherwise average weather. Also assuming average equipment. The athlete puts in on average amount of work in. All things equal here (with the exception of GENETICS)...I think we all get it.

Oly:

Seriously? 2:05 Oly for a 'medium difficulty' course on AVERAGE work = "average"???? Just look at almost any race results outside the national Oly championships, and a 2:05 puts you into the top 5%, and sometimes even wins the overall outright.

If you are the kind of guy that an achieve a 2:05 on 'average' training, meaning the same hours and relative intensity than a unlucky but hardworking guy (me), you are looking at this entire thread from the highly unbalanced rose-colored glasses of someone with significant talent.

Here's a better exercise - throw out ALL of your n=1 personal data, and look at the bulk of everyone else's results. Just go to any local, medium, and small race, and look how many people are finishing at the times you posted, and see if the reality is more likely that your n=1 results are skewed from someone who is probably a very good responder to tri training, compared to your hypothesized reality that the main reason why people aren't going 2:05 Oly (and the other times) is that they're so lazy and unmotivated that they can't even train enough for an AVERAGE plan. Yeah, right.

At least from this link, the AVERAGE finish time for an Oly tri in 2011 was 3hrs. Start from that reality and work backwards.

LH - I feel much better about my Oly dist times now. Thanks for posting. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Maurice

What AG are you in?
Kids or no kids?

Maurice - I am 64 now, 65 in Jan 2020. Never had any kids. I'm retired now but when I worked I was an engineer and sometimes a manager/leader. I spent a lot of time in the USAF so you were a "leader" not just a "manager". Definitely not a clock in/clock out but generally most places I worked were fine with flex hours.

Also - please see my response to Mark Lemmon above about why I never bothered to try an IM.

Ok new AG in 2020, a bit of spare time, likely the resources (time and financial), lifelong athlete with likely pretty good lifestyle “habits”

You see where I’m going with this right?

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next