Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've seen in the quest for kona videos, most of the athletes there haven't been training nearly long enough. Many of them discovered triathlon mid-life then maybe have been training consistently for 2-3 years with the last year focusing on kona doing 15-20hrs a week. Then get disappointed that they don't make it even though they've given their best the last 6 month. Next year they'll either give up the goal since they weren't even close during their attempt or dial back on their effort significantly.

Unfortunately, that's not enough time for most people with average talent, they would likely need 3-6 years of that kind of training volume and consistency. Those athletes (with mediocre genetics) that don't give up and maintain the consistency, who truly loves the training and lifestyle even if they get no recognition, have no regards to the compliments and fame of making to kona, are the ones that tend to actually qualify.
Last edited by: Rest: Jun 20, 19 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
From what I've seen in the quest for kona videos, most of the athletes there haven't been training nearly long enough. Many of them discovered triathlon mid-life then maybe have been training consistently for 2-3 years with the last year focusing on kona doing 15-20hrs a week. Then get disappointed that they don't make it even though they've given their best the last 6 month. Next year they'll either give up the goal since they weren't even close during their attempt or dial back on their effort significantly.

Unfortunately, that's not enough time for most people with average talent, they would likely need 3-6 years of that kind of training volume and consistency. Those athletes (with mediocre genetics) that don't give up and maintain the consistency, who truly loves the training and lifestyle even if they get no recognition, have no regards to the compliments and fame of making to kona, are the ones that tend to actually qualify.

Don't really disagree strongly with what you say but I have to say when they're not even close after giving it a decent effort one has to wonder if a few more years of training would be enough, unless the reasons for not being close are execution rather than actual performance level. And good results tend to be a big motivating factor and it's hard to motivate yourself to continue to do very high level training when you fall very far short. I don't think it's necessary to have elite genetics to KQ but I'm dubious it can be done by just anyone.

Of the people I know that have done IM distance events, I've known quite a few that train consistently year to year but pretty much no one that does IM level training year after year. About half to two thirds of the people gave it a pretty good effort, the rest were clearly substandard in their efforts. I know two people that KQed but both of them got consistently good results even when they weren't training at an IM level, regular AG podium finishes in local races, etc. I don't know anyone else that came close, even though they did the whole 15-20 hour per week training bit. When they fall 2-4 hours short, how likely is it that a couple years more training would get them there?

In my one IM race I was about an hour and a quarter from qualifying, which is closer than most other people I know other than the two that KQed. About half an hour of that was execution that could be fixable without any change in fitness, the rest would have to come from better fitness. A very big ask, but perhaps not totally out of the question, so I'm probably an edge case. I tend to think of myself as having average genetics, but certainly not below average genetics, (I suspect others would think I'm slightly above average though I'm not sure they're right), and I do well in local races with regular AG podiums. But I'm just not seeing the path to KQ for a lot of the other people that I know that have tried. I'd love to be proven wrong and I'd like to see more case studies of those with consistently MOP results over time that have then made the leap with changes in their training.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the 55-60 age group. Rough numbers that means 150 racing for 2-3 spots. What if 3 other people are using the same program? That age group is made up of former college swimmers and runners, experienced bike racers, retired and semi-retired athletes and I'm sure a fair number of HGH/Testosterone users. To suggest that I can beat all but a couple of them by following the right plan is ridiculous.

Qualifying for Kona takes work but it almost solely comes down to natural ability.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Think it's more the case that most people don't get anywhere near their genetic limiters in terms of fitness. Life and personality get in the way. Before you get somewhere close to your optimal fitness you need :
1) The commitment/selfishness to want to do it in the first place. Not many people are prepared to commit to being as good as they can be at something, or to make all the sacrifices necessary to achieve that goal.
2) The resources (time and money) to make it happen. 15+ hours/week to train, plus the time needed to recover properly. Then the money for decent equipment, pool membership, race and travel costs, maybe coaching. And of course for many of us there is a direct or opportunity cost associated with the career decisions involved in freeing up the time needed to train and recover properly
3) Smart decision making - choosing the right coach, equipment, training plan. Knowing when to change the plan.
4) The discipline needed to eat right, execute the training plan, do your stretching, go to bed early, etc day in, day out for months or years.
People under estimate these because theoretically they're all life choices not physical limitations. But changing who you are and how you live isn't that much easier than changing the genes you were born with. If it was there would be a lot less obesity, credit card debt, alcoholism, etc. A coach can help with 3 and 4, but even then you need the money and self-awareness to hire a coach in the first place, you need the smarts or luck to get the right coach, and you need the discipline to actually listen to what they're telling you and do it.
Heck, I've been training and racing in various sports for 25+ years and I don't think I've ever even met the first criteria! Have never gone all in on being the best I can at sport, it's always been balanced along other priorities, whether that's family, career or just enjoying life and going on holiday, staying up late and having a few too many drinks with friends, etc. I'm pretty sure I have the physical potential to KQ if I really wanted to, but I'm 100% sure that I'm not prepared to do all the things required to find out.

Let's just break down a KQ time for your hypothetical under-40 tri guy. This guy will need to go at least 9:30 or better on your "average" IM course. So, if Average Guy really works hard on his swim, he could potentially swim 1:00 (1:25/100 yd with no walls to push off) for his 2.4 mi swim. Allowing 5 min total for both T1 and T2, that leaves 8:25 for the B and R total. If he can ride 23 mph for the 112 mi, that's 4:52 for the bike, which leaves 3:33 (8:08/mi) for the run. Or, he could bike 22 mph for 5:05 and run 3:20 (7:38/mi), or ride 21 mph for 5:20 and run 3:05 (7:04/mi). Obv there are a large number of combinations but you get the idea. I will leave to each STer to decide whether "anyone" who completely dedicates their life to triathlon can achieve those numbers. IMO, you need a little bit of "talent" to achieve any of these combinations. I don't think just "anyone" can achieve those numbers even if they don't work at any job other than triathlon and dedicate their entire life to KQing.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
[Let's just break down a KQ time for your hypothetical under-40 tri guy. This guy will need to go at least 9:30 or better on your "average" IM course. So, if Average Guy really works hard on his swim, he could potentially swim 1:00 (1:25/100 yd with no walls to push off) for his 2.4 mi swim. Allowing 5 min total for both T1 and T2, that leaves 8:25 for the B and R total. If he can ride 23 mph for the 112 mi, that's 4:52 for the bike, which leaves 3:33 (8:08/mi) for the run. Or, he could bike 22 mph for 5:05 and run 3:20 (7:38/mi), or ride 21 mph for 5:20 and run 3:05 (7:04/mi). Obv there are a large number of combinations but you get the idea. I will leave to each STer to decide whether "anyone" who completely dedicates their life to triathlon can achieve those numbers. IMO, you need a little bit of "talent" to achieve any of these combinations. I don't think just "anyone" can achieve those numbers even if they don't work at any job other than triathlon and dedicate their entire life to KQing.

Wow, I never really broke the numbers down like this before... but you are right, it's really hard!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Think it's more the case that most people don't get anywhere near their genetic limiters in terms of fitness. Life and personality get in the way. Before you get somewhere close to your optimal fitness you need :
1) The commitment/selfishness to want to do it in the first place. Not many people are prepared to commit to being as good as they can be at something, or to make all the sacrifices necessary to achieve that goal.
2) The resources (time and money) to make it happen. 15+ hours/week to train, plus the time needed to recover properly. Then the money for decent equipment, pool membership, race and travel costs, maybe coaching. And of course for many of us there is a direct or opportunity cost associated with the career decisions involved in freeing up the time needed to train and recover properly
3) Smart decision making - choosing the right coach, equipment, training plan. Knowing when to change the plan.
4) The discipline needed to eat right, execute the training plan, do your stretching, go to bed early, etc day in, day out for months or years.

As others wrote: very well stated!

I started in 2006 at 45 years old with no background in swimming, no background in biking other than holidays with panniers and some background in running (local runs, some half and two full marathons).

I comply with criteria 1), 2) and 4).

With criterium 3) I had my problems, some coaches which caused more stagnation than progress. Especially the bike was the limiter.

Not before 2014 I had it sorted all out, aerodynamics and the know how to train.

This know how to train is very personal: At first, there are general rules you can follow: look only at the numerous training plans which exist and which should apply to everyone. BUT: at the top of the AG the air gets thin and progress is differently achieved for different persons.

So I complied also with criterium 3) since 2014, such that I was able to KQ finally in 2016.
That's 10 years! Could I have done it faster? Sure if I would have known what to do beforehand. But that is different with every person as I wrote before so with some trial and error indeed 10 years is not so bad.

Now I am in the position that I know what to do and then the 2nd KQ is not so difficult anymore, such that I can do my little back door brag now: I did my 2nd KQ a couple of weeks ago and reserved already my room in Kona for October.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing triathlons for 6 years now. I honestly don't know how people put in those 15-20 hour weeks on any consistent basis for IM. It's more than I want to do for sure. I do okay at local races and the bigger IM/HIM events I always shoot for top 1/3 in my age group and if I can get in the top 1/4 of my age group I'm thrilled. My training has been pretty consistent and I've improved over the years. I've done one IM and am doing another this year. I probably had a peak week of 15 hours during training. The rest were a lot of 8-12 hour weeks which was fine with me. Obviously I know that's not getting me to Kona. I really don't know if I could come close to KQ if I just fully dedicated to that task.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:

People under estimate these because theoretically they're all life choices not physical limitations. But changing who you are and how you live isn't that much easier than changing the genes you were born with. If it was there would be a lot less obesity, credit card debt, alcoholism, etc. A coach can help with 3 and 4, but even then you need the money and self-awareness to hire a coach in the first place, you need the smarts or luck to get the right coach, and you need the discipline to actually listen to what they're telling you and do it.

Heck, I've been training and racing in various sports for 25+ years and I don't think I've ever even met the first criteria! Have never gone all in on being the best I can at sport, it's always been balanced along other priorities, whether that's family, career or just enjoying life and going on holiday, staying up late and having a few too many drinks with friends, etc. I'm pretty sure I have the physical potential to KQ if I really wanted to, but I'm 100% sure that I'm not prepared to do all the things required to find out.

Well said an great points.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:

Maybe Marcel Kittel could KQ, but I kinda doubt that my big body could be transformed into a top-level triathlete, even in the over 60 division.

I'm trying to get better, but "anyone can KQ" seems like "you can achieve anything". Nice thought, but not really true.

If you're not willing to drop weight, that's your business. Just don't use it as an argument against the "anyone can KQ" hypothesis.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those numbers are pretty much exactly right, and it only seems to be getting faster, especially under 45. You can see how strong swimmers can have some extra wiggle room with regards to bike/run times. 55-60 min swim is a great target, 4:50-4:58 bike on an average course, and sub 3:30 run gets you in the ballpark, but its not assured and comes down to who all shows up on the day and the course conditions. You can train for a 9:30 and still miss out.

2014 IMTX M35-39 places second through fifth for all the KQ spots were within 6 minutes from 9:18 to 9:24. Dan Stubleski was 1st with 8:54. 6th place in 9:26 missed out.

I think this kind of analysis is where a lot of people just dont do their homework and tailor their training accordingly. Just doing 15-20 hours of training a week wont get you there. In my experience at 2014 IMTX you also need to know who your competition is and how to race them 8 hours in. For most KQing is a process and takes a few tries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Let's just break down a KQ time for your hypothetical under-40 tri guy. This guy will need to go at least 9:30 or better on your "average" IM course. So, if Average Guy really works hard on his swim, he could potentially swim 1:00 (1:25/100 yd with no walls to push off) for his 2.4 mi swim. Allowing 5 min total for both T1 and T2, that leaves 8:25 for the B and R total. If he can ride 23 mph for the 112 mi, that's 4:52 for the bike, which leaves 3:33 (8:08/mi) for the run. Or, he could bike 22 mph for 5:05 and run 3:20 (7:38/mi), or ride 21 mph for 5:20 and run 3:05 (7:04/mi). Obv there are a large number of combinations but you get the idea. I will leave to each STer to decide whether "anyone" who completely dedicates their life to triathlon can achieve those numbers. IMO, you need a little bit of "talent" to achieve any of these combinations. I don't think just "anyone" can achieve those numbers even if they don't work at any job other than triathlon and dedicate their entire life to KQing.

I don't know. I would think that the range of genetic potential is more like 7:50 - 9:00, for healthy 20 something men. I suspect that most KQers (9:30) are at 80-90% of their potential, and everyone else is like 50-60%.

Some of those KQers might not be able to go any faster than 9:00, but some would start sniffing 8:00 as pros.

2 years might be a best case scenario to get someone from 50% to 80-90% and KQ, but that would be more down to motivation, work ethic, and the ability/willingness to make the changes/sacrifices to their life.

There is a bit of a catch 22 in that being (naturally) good at it might make it easier to do all the work vs. doing all the work makes you good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purely hypothetical of course, but if the givens are: Under 40, No illness, not biggest looser obese, not a smoker, drinker or any drug issues, without a job, the means to put say 10 years into it and willing to do anything for Kona (not doping or otherwise cheating), anyone could qualify. We are talking:

1. Optimal diet. No, people know Jack about what they should eat. As soon as Joe Athlete accepts this, KQ becomes far simpler. He needs help and education. That is step one.

2. Optimal training. A bad coach is worse than being self coached, but there are great resources online for people with more than 2 iq points. Again, it is a learning process, so smart people take 2 steps while the dumb ones move backwards.

3. Optimal sleep and an interest in sleeping as much as possible, even though it is boring. Good sleeping hygiene can be learned, even at 40.

4. Rest properly between sessions, e.g calming music in a dark room. Focus on how you will execute next session.

5. Swim coach. Working continuously every day on improving swim form. Video camera, tools, the works.

6. Willing to lose weight or body composition if that is needed.

7. Willing to not socialize.

The list goes on.

I really hate it when people who aren't willing to do all the above use themselves as an argument for why anyone can't KQ. Running is a question of P/W unless you're running form is ridiculous. Both can be fixed. Cycling: P/CdA on most IM courses. You don't need no 400w to go 4.55. Find a fitter, get slick and you will ride in less than 5 hours on a lot less watts than you think. The swim is really the only tough part here, so find someone who's both good at swimming, educated in swimming and has the ability to teach.

And last, but not least, stay away from Europe. 9.30 wouldn't hold for a top 10 most places (Italy, Germany, Sweden) and not even a top 20 in Denmark.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
cartsman wrote:

As others wrote: very well stated!

I started in 2006 at 45 years old with no background in swimming, no background in biking other than holidays with panniers and some background in running (local runs, some half and two full marathons).

I comply with criteria 1), 2) and 4).

With criterium 3) I had my problems, some coaches which caused more stagnation than progress. Especially the bike was the limiter.

Not before 2014 I had it sorted all out, aerodynamics and the know how to train.

This know how to train is very personal: At first, there are general rules you can follow: look only at the numerous training plans which exist and which should apply to everyone. BUT: at the top of the AG the air gets thin and progress is differently achieved for different persons.

So I complied also with criterium 3) since 2014, such that I was able to KQ finally in 2016.
That's 10 years! Could I have done it faster? Sure if I would have known what to do beforehand. But that is different with every person as I wrote before so with some trial and error indeed 10 years is not so bad.

Now I am in the position that I know what to do and then the 2nd KQ is not so difficult anymore, such that I can do my little back door brag now: I did my 2nd KQ a couple of weeks ago and reserved already my room in Kona for October.

How big of a part did picking the right races have in you KQ? Or did that not matter much?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

I don't know. I would think that the range of genetic potential is more like 7:50 - 9:00, for healthy 20 something men. I suspect that most KQers (9:30) are at 80-90% of their potential, and everyone else is like 50-60%.
Some of those KQers might not be able to go any faster than 9:00, but some would start sniffing 8:00 as pros.
2 years might be a best case scenario to get someone from 50% to 80-90% and KQ, but that would be more down to motivation, work ethic, and the ability/willingness to make the changes/sacrifices to their life.
There is a bit of a catch 22 in that being (naturally) good at it might make it easier to do all the work vs. doing all the work makes you good.

You have got to be joking. I agree that 2 yrs is best case as I think 6-7 yrs is more likely required to reach your "potential", but i really doubt your ""average guy" has the potential to go 7:50, or even 9:00. Average Guy is 10:59 at his very best is my thought. I hate to use myself as an example but hey, i know myself better than anyone else. I swam in HS, college ( small school, 3rd string), and actually fastest in Masters in my mid to late 20s. I was swimming 40,000 yd/wk for 4 yrs pre-tri, so I had a great fitness base. When I took up the B and R at age 30, I trained 20 hr/wk for 10 yrs and the best I could do, on my very, very best day, was 2:10 for an Oly dist and 4:42 for a half. I never had any desire to go further but best case I might could have gone say 10:24 using 2 times 4:42 + 1:00. Obv 10:24 is not going to KQ me. I slept 8-10 hr/night (avg 63 hr/wk), ate very healthily, weighed 160 at 6'2", got as aero as possible, etc. I can not think of anything else that I could have done to be faster. My best stand-lone times were 20:06 for 1500 scm, 18:55 (6:05/mi) for 5K run, and 1:04 (23.2 mph) for 40K bike. Obv I don't think I was KQ material, at least not in my 30s; perhaps in my 70s enough competition will have died off and I can do it then. Perhaps the "anyone can KQ" should be footnoted to say as long as he is willing to train for 50 yrs or more. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t this theory also assume the genetically gifted are failing to maximize their training potential thus allowing the less gifted to be possibly our perform them is they maximize their potential??
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 20, 19 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:

You have got to be joking. I agree that 2 yrs is best case as I think 6-7 yrs is more likely required to reach your "potential", but i really doubt your ""average guy" has the potential to go 7:50, or even 9:00. Average Guy is 10:59 at his very best is my thought. I hate to use myself as an example but hey, i know myself better than anyone else. I swam in HS, college ( small school, 3rd string), and actually fastest in Masters in my mid to late 20s. I was swimming 40,000 yd/wk for 4 yrs pre-tri, so I had a great fitness base. When I took up the B and R at age 30, I trained 20 hr/wk for 10 yrs and the best I could do, on my very, very best day, was 2:10 for an Oly dist and 4:42 for a half. I never had any desire to go further but best case I might could have gone say 10:24 using 2 times 4:42 + 1:00. Obv 10:24 is not going to KQ me. I slept 8-10 hr/night (avg 63 hr/wk), ate very healthily, weighed 160 at 6'2", got as aero as possible, etc. I can not think of anything else that I could have done to be faster. My best stand-lone times were 20:06 for 1500 scm, 18:55 (6:05/mi) for 5K run, and 1:04 (23.2 mph) for 40K bike. Obv I don't think I was KQ material, at least not in my 30s; perhaps in my 70s enough competition will have died off and I can do it then. Perhaps the "anyone can KQ" should be footnoted to say as long as he is willing to train for 50 yrs or more. :)

All due respect to the tagline Anyone can be...

Nature - i.e., genetics (or, choose your parents) is everything. I say that because I submit that the "work ethic" has a genetic component. Obviously you don't make it past anything considered "endurance" with-out work. But, it's genetics beyond that. I remember when I took up running (my first sport). After a year or so of running at 21 or 22 I remember standing at the start of 5k's and 10k's (really popular and competitive in the early 80's) and being intimidated by so many skinny and lean guys, I was only somewhat lean and skinny, but had broad swimmers shoulders (even though I didn't swim). It would shock me how many of those guys I thought would be so fast, would finish minutes behind me. And, I wasn't "that" fast (~34 +/- min). Then I transitioned to triathlon - why suck at one sport when you can suck at 3? when I was 29 (a million years ago) I got VO2 max tested @72 - apparently set the lab record in time on treadmill (sorry BDB). Kind of explains why my RHR was 29-30. But, I wasn't terribly efficient - because I wasn't particularly lean. Fast forward to today. I'm old and have slowed down. But, I appreciate a KQ is a gift of hard work; for sure, but so many other variables. Mostly though the gift of endurance. For me I need a decent block of training w/o injury, performing well on race day, and, perhaps some of the regular studs that can beat me to NOT show up on the day. I feel for the guys who out train me and sacrifice time and treasure who will never finish ahead of me. Hard work isn't the variable. I also work hard (but ride a 10 year old bike). I know the above sounds egotistical. But, I don't have the genetics to play any musical instrument, or, hit a golf ball with any consistency, etc., etc. Just how it is; I can deny it, fight it or, accept it and make the most of it.
Most important, Enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Purely hypothetical of course, but if the givens are: Under 40, No illness, not biggest looser obese, not a smoker, drinker or any drug issues, without a job, the means to put say 10 years into it and willing to do anything for Kona (not doping or otherwise cheating), anyone could qualify. We are talking:

1. Optimal diet. No, people know Jack about what they should eat. As soon as Joe Athlete accepts this, KQ becomes far simpler. He needs help and education. That is step one.

2. Optimal training. A bad coach is worse than being self coached, but there are great resources online for people with more than 2 iq points. Again, it is a learning process, so smart people take 2 steps while the dumb ones move backwards.

3. Optimal sleep and an interest in sleeping as much as possible, even though it is boring. Good sleeping hygiene can be learned, even at 40.

4. Rest properly between sessions, e.g calming music in a dark room. Focus on how you will execute next session.

5. Swim coach. Working continuously every day on improving swim form. Video camera, tools, the works.

The list goes on.

I really hate it when people who aren't willing to do all the above use themselves as an argument for why anyone can't KQ. Running is a question of P/W unless you're running form is ridiculous. Both can be fixed. Cycling: P/CdA on most IM courses. You don't need no 400w to go 4.55. Find a fitter, get slick and you will ride in less than 5 hours on a lot less watts than you think. The swim is really the only tough part here, so find someone who's both good at swimming, educated in swimming and has the ability to teach.

And last, but not least, stay away from Europe. 9.30 wouldn't hold for a top 10 most places (Italy, Germany, Sweden) and not even a top 20 in Denmark.

You forgot:
Optimal job
Optimal wife
Optimal kids
Optimal ability to not get injuries
Optimal ability to not overtrain
Optimal apathy to getting a divorce

It’s like saying anyone can run a 2:30 open marathon. Some of you all are delusional when it comes to knowing what average is.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really interesting perspective ManOfTheWoods.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without a job > optimal job? That was covered in the premise. A good coach covers 5 and 6. Without a job you should be able to get in a fair amount of training while your kids and wife are away for job/school. With a job it gets more difficult :)

Do you think an open 2.30 marathon and a 9.30 Ironman are equally good performance wise?

1.02-5.00- 3.25 strikes me as a lot easier than 2.30 for an open, but I'm chubby so I could be biased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:

The list goes on.

But then we are FAR away from "anyone". I dont think "not socializing" leads to better performance, on the contrary. The "anyone" person has obligations AND a job! But yes sure if mr "anyone" won the lottery, ulimited funds etc. yes it would not be the genetics that would not allow him/her to KQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My response was to Eric Mulks response on genetic limiters. Sure, work, kids, wife etc are limiters in their own right. But in any hypothetical discussion regarding genetic limitation, you're not interested in what Average Joe is achieving today, but rather what he could achieve given the right circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
My response was to Eric Mulks response on genetic limiters. Sure, work, kids, wife etc are limiters in their own right. But in any hypothetical discussion regarding genetic limitation, you're not interested in what Average Joe is achieving today, but rather what he could achieve given the right circumstances.

Thinking about Alan and Mikaels pod in the context of limiters seems to be the right way:

If you eliminate all limiters except genetics you will qualify for Kona. Appears reasonable albeit a bit arbitrary unless you are trust fund supported and living in Boulder. Framing it differently: Worry about everything else before you complain about your short legs / tiny handy / weak glutes etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see why people obsess about Kona. It's so damn hard to qualify for that it makes it a real and genuine age group World Champs, unlike, for example the ITU age group worlds.

There are no short cuts though (unless like some you are prepared to cheat). It takes month after month after month of smart training. I doubt that any sedentary person could qualify from scratch in two years no matter who coaches them. I hope people don't take this the wrong way but most of the people I know who want to go and haven't qualified are not committed enough. They miss sessions, drink far too much beer, eat rubbish, weigh too much & use any excuse not to train etc. etc. The ones who have qualified are single minded in their approach, employ good coaches, can afford the best kit, have family 'buy in' and are prepared to set aside a chunk of their lives to the task.

You also still need a big slice of luck, a friend of mine came third in Wales in his age group, he was in excellent shape. Only two slots and they were taken by athletes from mainland Europe who were totally off his radar. My friend even went faster than the 3rd Kona qualifier in the age group below!

Good luck to anyone giving it a go this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone can KQ. Anyone.... [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

How big of a part did picking the right races have in you KQ? Or did that not matter much?

In 2016 picking the right race was important. You also need luck. After missing Lanzarote in 2016 because of a broken collar bone and not KQ in Austria in 2016 (5th in the AG) I decided I wanted to have another try in the autumn of 2016.

There were two options: Mallorca or Weymouth.

Advantage of Mallorca was the somewhat flatter course, as I always train in the flat and I weigh 84 kg. Disadvantage of Mallorca was first of all I expected a strong field since it is a popular place also for training camps. Another disadvantage is that you would have an advantage if you are an unscrupulous drafter, which I'm not.

Disadvantage of Weymouth were the hills: there is hardly a single flat piece. And although I'm a strong runner I did not know how that hilly bikeride would influence my run. Advantage of Weymouth was I did not expect much drafting and I expected a weaker field because it is kind off awkward to reach and it is not the ideal vacation destiny for most people.

So I chose Weymouth, which turned out to be the right choice. Of course there's always luck: I won as a "young" M55 the AG, but in the M50 I would only have been 5th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:

Maybe Marcel Kittel could KQ, but I kinda doubt that my big body could be transformed into a top-level triathlete, even in the over 60 division.

I'm trying to get better, but "anyone can KQ" seems like "you can achieve anything". Nice thought, but not really true.

If you're not willing to drop weight, that's your business. Just don't use it as an argument against the "anyone can KQ" hypothesis.

Not even close to what I said. My point was that even when I was super skinny and lean and you could see the veins in my abs, which I'm not close to now, I was over 200 lbs. That doesn't lend itself to endurance sports. Maybe I could transform myself into a KQ body, I don't know, and I don't really care to find out, it's not that important to me, but I think it's unlikely. My point is that some bodies, maybe mine maybe not, are just not going to get to KQ level no matter what you're willing to do.

My son was 230 absolutely ripped pounds when he ran a 4:28 1500m at the end of a decathlon without doing any distance training. He was decent in the 800m in high school at over 200 lbs. He has natural talent in mid-distance, which I never did btw. I wonder if he could be an over 200 lb Kona Qualifier if he worked at it. He has no interest in doing that, but I wonder how many over 200 lb KQers are out there.

btw, I listened to the podcast yesterday and I'm pretty sure he said "most" and not "anyone" each time he talked about it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next