Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some courts won't enforce boilerplate language where there is unequal bargaining power (not sure if you can make the argument with click through waivers that some races have). I don't know what the NA waiver looks likes and I'm guessing it doesn't qualify as boilerplate. Apologize for perpetuating the myth that waivers are toilet but I'd also want more than the waiver to stand behind if I was an RD. I'm also a corporate lawyer and just do deals and will be quiet now because I don't know much about this area of the law and should stop putting my two cents in.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I for one will sleep well tonight knowing the swim was cancelled! After spending 3 hours battling the waves and current setting the course and keeping people on stanby because they weren't able to get out to provide safety for you (or your surviving familys). These decisions are not made lightly and everyone should be thankful you have race directors like Tom Z that will try to make your day but not sacrifice it either, the winds were forecast to shift more to the east by race start but it didn't happen and the swim was cancelled for this reason. Waves were in the 4-5 foot range with high north winds, waves breaking 400 meters out, strong current, rips and undertows. Whilst I might consider my skills adequate to save someone in trouble in these conditions if I was fortunate enough to see the person I would be an idiot to expect everyone else to share my experience and skills let alone be lucky enough to either see or hear enough to realize they needed help, now multiply that by 2,000 sorry but the cancellation is a no brainer. You may think you are a great swimmer but that's not how your family would remember you waiver or no waiver! Thanks for your understanding and I look forward to seeing you all next year or at other races its safe to swim at.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [TimJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I have no doubts that you guys made the right call for the situation, what I am surprised about is that monty still hasn't posted on this thread!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG Your right! I only hope he does some research on the great lakes first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky to have Tim J as my Swim Course Director. There is NO one in our sport with more experience with swim course safety. Tim has done a fantastic job at the NA Sports Ironman events these past few years with their swim courses. My other Course Directors did a great job last Saturday of changing courses, moving police and volutenteers to set up the first run in just 1 hour. Philip LaHaye and Mike Jones made this happen on the bike course at Steelhead. An RD is only as good as his team. I lucky to have some Great people working at the Steelhead event.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Show Pony.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [distancediva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm calling you out distancediva. You obviously have a Mr. Incredible.

Bring this boytoy of yours to IM WI to race. I want to duke it out with him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seriously, you need to stop bragging about this BF of yours.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
500 people did not show. I am just curious if you got a count on the number of people who left after they found out the swim was cancelled and if you know why they decided to bag it. Heading out of transition to the 1st run a volunteer was holding an envelope packed with timing chips of those who decided to drop out after the news of the cancelled swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [choochi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 500 no shows did not pick up their race packets on Friday. Not sure how many decided not to race after the swim was canceled. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm sorry for your personal dissatisfactions of your life/training partner, and that you have to take your bitterness out on others. Yes, you SHOULD look out for him plowing through the crowd, and past YOU. It's also disappointing to see that as a medical "professional", you feel the need to bash others' athletic efforts , yet alone on a public forum in a post that you associate with your full name. My patients certainly will not be requiring your services anytime soon.
That takes a lot gall to criticize him for "bashing" others athletic efforts - nothing in his post was as rude as your comment about your BF making "a lot of you weekend warriors look HORRIBLE". I'm with ya on the fact that everybody needs to be ready to show up ready to handle whatever the race throws at you (and a swim being cancelled, especially in a Great Lake is always a possibility). But you could have made your point without insulting the people on the forum and all the people who showed up at the race.

Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Last edited by: TriStrut: Aug 5, 08 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes- The jump off the peir the first four years of the race was very unique and quite the experience. Last year we moved the swim to the beach because the City of St. Joseph did not want us jumping off the peir.

The city has tried to stop kids from jumping off the peir and even tried to pass a local law to prohibit it. (Have to enforce this type of ordinance) So even though our event has water safety people, we did want the city requested and moved the swim to the beach.

I lifeguarded at Tiscornia Beach (right next to the Peir) during my college years. Each day was different - flat one day, 4-5 foot waves the next day - water temperture would change in the matter of hours from 72 degrees down to 48. No matter what the conditions were, I had to make saves on days with flat water, rip currents and 5 foot waves. Seems most people think that since it's just a lake, it has to be safe to swim in!

Z
Aww...I did Steelhead a few years ago (the first year it was part of the IM 70.3 series) - and the jump off the pier was one of my favorite parts of the race!

Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [TimJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I am with you all on the swim, safety first.

But let us talk about what blatantly the officials don't want to.

The morning starts with the race announcer being very "chesty" about drafting. Fine, we all know drafting is wrong. When "chesty" says that they are going to be enforcing drafting tightly this year, I think great. Finally, an honest race.

Wrong, 56 miles later, I have seen three total marshalls (the same one twice). Wow, that is strict. I also saw a peloton of 15-18 riders, 5 chase groups of 5-10 riders and over a dozen chase groups between 3 and 5 riders.

And here is what really stinks. I have two friends who were after qualifying spots. I made a mental note of memorizing as many of the POS drafters that went by (after making comments like, nice peloton, don't drop his wheel, where is your sag car, shouldn't you be wearng a green jersey?).

Anyway, my one buddy made it, the other lost out by two slots in their group. And guess what, two of the POSs were booking their trips to Florida, they were also in the same chase group of a buttload of racers, probably the whole race.

Easy to sum up, by buddy got the shaft, the two POSs go to FL and IM gets $250.

Lastly, be "chesty" and do something about drafting or just say it is on the honor system and accept it. You cannot have it both ways.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [irontrirooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there were just way too many people in the race. I remember last year there was a lot of discussion about widespread drafting going on at this race so nothing has changed.

Just imagine how much worse it would have been if those 500 no shows did actually do the race.

I wonder why the RD didn't split the half marathon to make it 6.55 mile run/56 mile bike/6.55 mile run? Seems like that would have worked better with splitting up the field.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just have a time-trial style start bike-run? I believe that's what ended up happening the one year they had the 1/2 IM Utah race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is his name? I want to follow his progress to becoming a pro. I don't think anyone else here has those fast of times and we should all have heros. Slowman, I think an article is deserved on this guy....whoever he is.

Ah yes, and if your boyfriend were here he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse!
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [celticfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next