Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ME, Ironman seems ludacris.

I remember treding water beside the pier at IMH in 1989 at the start of my first IM. I was actually very nervous. Despite training and racing triathlons for 8 years to that point, I was rather anxious about being able to go the whole way! It seemed ludicris to me, despite all that experience, training and racing I had to that point.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark, I was going to ask your thoughts of the swim being canceled but Na, that would not be nice. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the race today and I think think that I would have been fine swimming and I am sure the Chris L. would have been fine swimming. That being said I think it was the right call with the amount of "newbies" in the field. I would estimate the waves at around two feet and I think slot of people would just get lost in that kind of water. Also, I don't think that any of the smaller boats could have held their position effectively. My biggest beef is that I really don't think that the organizers had spent any time at all on this backup duathlon plan. They pulled off gettig the race going but of was very bootleg.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [tritontoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. Really glad I couldn't make it now! I would have been pissssssed off if the swim was cancelled. I dislike running once, never mind twice!

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
would estimate the waves at around two feet and I think slot of people would just get lost in that kind of water. Also, I don't think that any of the smaller boats could have held their position effectively[/quote]
2 feet? cx'd for 2ft? Not there this year but did the race a few years ago and the waves were ~ knee high. (which on me is just under 2ft). Glassy or choppy?
I

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very well put.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "I think it was the right call with the amount of "newbies" in the field"

So they dumbed it down for the masses,

All great truths begin as Blasphemies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well put. Thank you for posting this.

"It is not the great things we do in life that really matter, it's the small things we do with a great heart..."-Mother Theresa
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the water was really rough the rd made the right decision. Big white caps + Lots of newbies--the three guys next to me on the bike rack it was their first triathlon.

It was a 2 mile run on the first part of the bike course which resulted in another bike course change and a short bike leg -- my computer showed 54.5 miles, lots of bike prs
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the three guys next to me on the bike rack it was their first triathlon

My previous post is ringing a bit truer. I rest my case.

A 1/2 IM as their first triathlon? Where exactly are these guys getting their direction?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If I was an RD, this sort of person would be giving me absolute nightmares!!
If the RD took the "newbies" money then I don't feel sorry for the RD. It always about the money.................................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve is right on this. It was 7 years of racing before I did an Ironman, then another 10 before I did another one, then another 5 before the last one....none of them very fast. Not saying that schedule is for everyone, but I had lots of experience in the sport and was still nervous before all three.

I DON'T at all begrudge folks wanting to challenge themselves with the long stuff. I DO think that they would actually have more FUN, and have a little more knowledge, if they built up to it over time.

And...alot of the "big" races are too crowded. Is it time to have a hard limit and then charge accordingly? If the fields still fill we'll know one thing. If they don't...we'll know another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Where exactly are these guys getting their direction[/quote] From someone only slightly smarter then they are, unless of course, that someone is racing in their first triathlon as well at the HIM or greater distance.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter who is signed up, if you are goimg to cancel the swim because of 2 foot waves you should not plan a race in lake michigan. Can't always tell who is a newbie by looking at them or entry form so how exactly can that be taken into account. I would be pissed if I was racing. I agree that it is silly to jump into long distance but if done right can be fine. To enter a race with a 4k open water swim never having swam more than 2k is insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would be pissed if I was racing.[/quote]
Me too.

In Reply To:
I agree that it is silly to jump into long distance but if done right can be fine[/quote] Very true, but typically a majority of first timers are missing some puzzle pieces

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 2, 08 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also raced today and am one of the ones that would have rather seen a swim, and I had the bike course at 54 miles. If they do not limit the registration, I will never do this race again as there were FAR to many people. I will be interested to see how many people got drafting or position penalties. It was almost a 56 mile pace line out there and the only way to not draft was to just pass everyone which is what I tried to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...To enter a race with a 4k open water swim never having swam more than 2k is insane.
I am not sure when Steelhead became a IM. Steelhead is a half with only a 2K open water swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1st tri was a HIM? Damn... I just figured out how to latch on to some faster feet and stay there this season, and I did my 1st in 2000 on a MTB.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you are correct but I was responding to Flecks story about a lady at IMFL
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canceling a triathlon swim should only be done for unexpected conditions. For any tri swim that is true open water swim (i.e. a major lake or ocean), 2 or even 3 footwaves are not unexpected. This is normal for the course so anyone who can't handle normal course conditions has no business signing up for this race.

I did Steelhead a few years ago and have thought about going back, mostly because i like swimming in the big lake. It's kind of like doing a ride with an epic climb. I actually seriously enjoyed the fact that even 24 hours before the race you did not know if the water would be 58 or 75 or flat as a pool or you'd have to deal with some surf.

But based on what happened today, I would never do the race again. The only unique feature this race has has been rendered meaningless by the massive number of wusses they now let enter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I agree with you. I didn't try a half until my 3rd year in the sport. These guys today said their goal was simply to finish and they all seemed pretty happy the swim was off as they feared it the most.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its time to start having qualifiers for 1/2 distance....complete an Oly or something.

I think it was 2005 at Big Shoulders 5K open water swim in Lake Mich and the waves were crazy, throwing you into the wall crazy and 400 or so of us were swimming 3.1 miles with no wetsuits (USMS rules, although you could swim with a wetsuit in a different division). Our warning was be careful, lol.

SOR this year, had cold water and they pulled the bouys in to make sure you could touch bottom in most sections...for 250 bucks at S.H let me swim!!!!
Last edited by: running2far: Aug 2, 08 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Canceling a triathlon swim should only be done for unexpected conditions. For any tri swim that is true open water swim (i.e. a major lake or ocean), 2 or even 3 footwaves are not unexpected....

The waves here are at least 10 feet?

Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Did the race last year , LOVED the swim, as swimming in the midwest is typically muddy lakes, and the great lakes are awesome places to swim. Now it is unlikely I go back if they will cancel the swim over chop/waves - that's what open water swimming is all about. The bike and run can be challenging with terrain, why is it so wrong for the swim to be challenging also? The swims are already way too short in races of every distance, we should all be able to at least be able to deal with a little challenge on the swim if we are going to put ourselves into a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike course was way too crowded, I was in wave 14 and had to sit and soft pedal many times because people would not get over--I kept telling people to get over, most would say sorry and move over..one guy said f u! To have that many people on an open bike course is insane! Not a great experience climbing over folks for 56 miles but it is what it is, and we all keep doing these races and paying the $250.
Quote Reply

Prev Next