Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year....
Quote | Reply
Check out the video, did Jonny just let the cat out if the bag????

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After 2 years of 70.3, make sense to begin IM this year or next one.

Qualification to Kona is another problem, with new system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish they would speak English! I couldn't understand 90% of what they said. Didn't catch anything about ironman though.

Also, they were riding on the wrong side of the road!

Scott in Whistler
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [photoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a Yorkshire lad so made perfect sense to me !

Jonny mentions Kona and Nice

His accent btw is real Yorkshire and he mumbles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For extra hilarity, turn on the auto captioning...
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That made watching it again even better! I like how at times it didnt even try to figure out what was being said

Scott in Whistler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do believe that a 2012-fit Alistair would completely crush everyone in Kona, I'm talking swimming with Burgs, biking with Wurf and running 2:35. Hopefully we will witness him in top form again, because it is truly something to see.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
photoguy wrote:
I wish they would speak English! I couldn't understand 90% of what they said. Didn't catch anything about ironman though.

That's what they say about americans... you don't QUITE speak OUR language
Tee hee.😁
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A thing of beauty in top form (both Brownlee's)

I just fear we may have seen the best of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another interesting vid from there Chanel...

Ali says he hadn't had much running at all before 70.3 Worlds, confirming what most of us knew already about him not being fully fit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ali excels at the "I've not even in run shape" and throws down sick time. I believe it was 2011 or 2012 Kitzbuhl and he was recovering from an I believe achilles issue. Lays down probaly the best come back race I've ever seen in ITU, just obliterates the field, and his post conference was like "yeah I'm not even in run fitness yet"...ha I think that's his secret....he destroys himself so much in training that the better he can't do run training the healthier and better he'll do in the races.

Ali racing Kona for some reason bores me. I think it's because all I see with IM training is injuries and thus "disappointment" because people will say he should be winning etc. And mostly because that's Ali's personality, I dont think he can "calm down" with his training style...it's full bore or go do something else.

ETA: What's the most important thing in pro sports? Being able to make the start line. I guess I see Ali's injury history just kinda being the kiss of death for his post ITU career.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 24, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
I am a Yorkshire lad so made perfect sense to me !

Jonny mentions Kona and Nice

His accent btw is real Yorkshire and he mumbles

He also mentions Leeds bewteen Kona and Nice.

I also heard a rumor Leeds may get an IM race. Anyone else hear this ?
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct , not an IM brand one but a full distance Tri

Confirmed I believe - in Yorkshire somewhere
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, put on by Freebird who are great, done a few of their races over the years. Newby Hall.

https://yorkshiremantri.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you think IM training would make him more i jury prone? If anything it would do the opposit. He is already training more than most IM pros, but with crazy intensity as well. I think his legs will thank him when he switches out the quarter repeats to mile repeats.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the same reason he was injured this year, he seemingly has no filter to train “easier”. I dont think he suddenly moves to IM and is then injury free. So as I said I think it becomes people saying it’s a disappointment he’s not winning at same clip he was in itu.

ETA: your comment on 2012 is basically my point. We are now 7 years removed and a ton of niggle injuries of Achilles, ankles, hip injuries. Cumulatively at some point it catches up to you. And Ali’s style of smashing himself imo just doesn’t mesh well imo w IM. Sure he can win races cus IM’s are usually very low dense fields but I don’t see anything in way of consistency with him.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 25, 18 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see from the latest Q&A video that AB rode 398W for 50 mins in a 25mile TT last year. An FTP of 390W+ must surely compare favourably in absolute terms to anyone in Ironman?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Why do you think IM training would make him more i jury prone? If anything it would do the opposit. He is already training more than most IM pros, but with crazy intensity as well. I think his legs will thank him when he switches out the quarter repeats to mile repeats.

I pretty much wrote the same thing verbatim in another forum. The majority of running injuries are from intensity not volume. He's always trained big hours 35+ a week. All he's doing now is similar hours at less intensity, so yeah his legs will thank him for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still has that weird "up on his toes" running style though. It's never looked very kind on the legs to me, regardless of speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be missing something but...how is he going to get any training stress by putting in the same hours but with less intensity????
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
I see from the latest Q&A video that AB rode 398W for 50 mins in a 25mile TT last year. An FTP of 390W+ must surely compare favourably in absolute terms to anyone in Ironman?

His w/kg undoubtedly puts him in the top handful.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iirc Wurf is about the same weight and also has a ftp around 400 just for comparison.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Iirc Wurf is about the same weight and also has a ftp around 400 just for comparison.

Yeh that was my first thought. Similar in terms of watts and W/Kg. Frodo is about 380W from what I remember but he's 76kg so a bit heavier. Gomez is 350W @ 68kg so that's where he needs that extra 10-20W moving forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
photoguy wrote:

The irony a North American wishing an Englishman would speak English.

Rides on the same side as us here in Australia. Seems you must be riding on the wrong side...
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodo and Alistair could really blow up Kona mext year if they are both healthy, swim with burgs and then take turns on the bike and likely get to T2 with a 10+ min lead from Lange.
Any guess what Langes ftp could be? He is 64kg and I would guess his w/kg is lower than Gomez so maybe 320-330?

Quote Reply

Prev Next