Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what everyone though about Gomez this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Frodo and Alistair could really blow up Kona mext year if they are both healthy, swim with burgs and then take turns on the bike and likely get to T2 with a 10+ min lead from Lange.
Any guess what Langes ftp could be? He is 64kg and I would guess his w/kg is lower than Gomez so maybe 320-330?

Watt / CdA is a more effective way to predict bike time for a quite flat loop.

And it seems to me Lange is more aero than Gomez.... especially when behind Dreitz (...pink...)
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [photoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty mild accent they have! No problems for a 'southerner' like me to understand them. It's surprising how many different accents a country the size of the UK has crammed into it.

Gotta love that a two-time Olympic champion is Youth Hostelling. Yeah, I think JB might have been thinking out loud there about Kona.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, not sure of Frodo’s or Ali’s cda though, but both look quite good. Alistair likely has a lower cda but Frodo has a lot more experience from long course so quite confident the would work together well.

Yes Lange is probably more aero than Gomez with or without Dreitz, Gomez isn’t helped at all by the shiv of course...

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
That's what everyone though about Gomez this year...

Exactly!

I chuckle at all these predictions as if a fast 70.3 automatically turns into a 140.6 Kona win.

Swim with the Burgs. When was the last time the first dude out of the water won at Kona?
Bike with Wurf. How did he run this year?

Individual legs might be something to talk about but if you want to win look at the bike-run combo time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things that get me about this.

Ali is horrible in heat. Look at where he trains

BUT

he will dominate the Kona hill on the bike because - look at where he trains.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alistair was just named to the British Podium Team within the World Class Performance Squad for 2019 giving lottery funding to prepare for Tokyo 2020... not sure if this means he has to pursue the WTS or can still choose 70.3/IM.

https://www.tri247.com/...rformance-squad-2019
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little brothers watch older brothers carefully. They spend their entire lives noticing where the older one made mistakes and then try not to make those same mistakes. Being at least a 50% genetic match, they capitalize on these advantages and also are motivated to try to compete with the older one. You end up with an athlete that is often wiser, stronger, faster, and more competitive than his sibling and is just waiting to take advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself. I wouldn't be surprised if Jonathan is the one that eventually races and wins Kona if Alistair tries and fails.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't fall for all that "we train in Yorkshire all year round BS"...he's in Spain right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that they really want them for the MTR. So race some WTS events secure your ranking to be eligible for Tokyo and side benefit will be an individual spot.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because he has done poorly in one warm race he sucks? He has won tons of hot races...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Because he has done poorly in one warm race he sucks? He has won tons of hot races...

Woa not knocking the guy. I am more a fan of him than any other triathlete haha Frodo being 2nd on my list

Just seen interviews where he really does not like heat and says himself he doesn't perform in it. Most athletes don't but they aren't so candid about how they don't handle it well.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Little brothers watch older brothers carefully. They spend their entire lives noticing where the older one made mistakes and then try not to make those same mistakes. Being at least a 50% genetic match, they capitalize on these advantages and also are motivated to try to compete with the older one. You end up with an athlete that is often wiser, stronger, faster, and more competitive than his sibling and is just waiting to take advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself. I wouldn't be surprised if Jonathan is the one that eventually races and wins Kona if Alistair tries and fails.

Jonny is a bit more patient than Ali, I think it's possible he could make a better LC athlete, Jonny seems to perform worse out the two in heat though but less injury prone than Ali.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
...he seemingly has no filter to train “easier”.

The guy has the talent and fitness to be a contender, but he has to learn restraint. IM is pacing problem as much as a fitness test. As the distances get longer, the margin between "in the zone" and "bound for disaster" gets narrower and narrower. A lot of really fit, really tough athletes have given a smidge too much on the bike or early in the run,and ended up trotting or even walking significant portions of the last 13 miles.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of people expected Gomez to be exposed on the bike, which he was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Frodo and Alistair could really blow up Kona mext year if they are both healthy, swim with burgs and then take turns on the bike and likely get to T2 with a 10+ min lead from Lange.
Any guess what Langes ftp could be? He is 64kg and I would guess his w/kg is lower than Gomez so maybe 320-330?

I agree. I feel AB is just on another level with his commitment to training, how aggressively he races and his mental strength.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s precisely why I don’t think he’ll ever be as good at LC than he was in itu and thus I hope people arent disappointed in the fact. Sure I think he’ll have occasional big race results but to me AB is too injury prone and I don’t think a change in training intensity suddenly changes that.

But yes to me he’s the best athlete overall to race Kona whenever he does, unless it’s years from now. He’s beast mode he just has this issue with getting to start lines healthy these days going back to about 2013 ish time line (even had some Achilles issues in late 2011 build up to London).

*Most* of the time athletes who are consistently injured don’t really rid themselves of that stature. It really would be remarkable if he came to LC and stayed healthy.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
After 2 years of 70.3, make sense to begin IM this year or next one.

Qualification to Kona is another problem, with new system.

Yeah, I was going to mention that he probably needs to qualify first.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee To Race Kona Next Year.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
That’s precisely why I don’t think he’ll ever be as good at LC than he was in itu and thus I hope people arent disappointed in the fact. Sure I think he’ll have occasional big race results but to me AB is too injury prone and I don’t think a change in training intensity suddenly changes that.

But yes to me he’s the best athlete overall to race Kona whenever he does, unless it’s years from now. He’s beast mode he just has this issue with getting to start lines healthy these days going back to about 2013 ish time line (even had some Achilles issues in late 2011 build up to London).

*Most* of the time athletes who are consistently injured don’t really rid themselves of that stature. It really would be remarkable if he came to LC and stayed healthy.

I suppose it depends on the type of injuries he was getting. I came from rugby and I've seen more injuries in triathlon (95% running related) than I did in 30 years of rugby. And the running injuries people are picking up have long recovery times. In my club, lots of stress fractures, at least 9 in the last 12 months, 6 with bulged discs (mostly women) and lots of achilles and calf injuries. I haven't done a study, but most of these people have picked them up from high intensity running. Obviously they're amatuers and AB is an elite athlete, he's more prepared for the high intensity running, but it certainly makes you think twice about smashing out interval sessions frequently.

But yeah, with a lot of athletes, they get regularly injured and it stays that way for their career.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure it's the high intensity stuff that gets most amateurs and pros, and the funny thing is most amateurs don't need intervals anyway. If they skipped the intervals for an extra run and added strides they would be at least equally as fast and more likely to be injury free.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
For sure it's the high intensity stuff that gets most amateurs and pros, and the funny thing is most amateurs don't need intervals anyway. If they skipped the intervals for an extra run and added strides they would be at least equally as fast and more likely to be injury free.

I know. I try and spread the word. There are all these coaches out there getting out of shape middle aged men doing 200/400 repeats and bang they're injured...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah and then the same people are surprised when the 70s quarters they banged out all winter while running 15m/w don't keep them from walking the back half of their IM...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Did you read the interview of Arild Tveiten, in the Kristian Blumenfelt thread ?
He is the coach of Blumenfelt, Iden, Stornes, .... (all 3 just blown 70.3 best time).
He explain that they do nearly no training above FTP / MLSS... forget the 200/400/quarter repeats :-)

Their intervals works are mostly near sweet spot (around 2.7 mmol/L lactate, around 65% of VO2max power ?). And they are mostly like 20 or 30 minutes (not 70 seconds).

For less than 4h race....

For an AGer targeting 70.3 or IM (so... probably more than 4h race), this should ring a bell :-)
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Dec 14, 18 1:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Two things that get me about this.

Ali is horrible in heat. Look at where he trains

BUT

he will dominate the Kona hill on the bike because - look at where he trains.

Yeah, winning Olympic gold in Brasil is a real horrible performance...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have, and their type of training is perfect for most athletes. People don't seem to understand that this is an aerobic sport, and train as if they were milers.
Don't know how many times I've seen people run sub 70 for their "10k pace" quarters, when they can barely break 40.
For triathletes, tempos and strides are more than enough.

Quote Reply

Prev Next