Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age Grouper Busted [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a whistleblower of some sort? APG employee or customer with an attack of conscience?

beats me. my only (tenuous) connection is the possibility I raced against the guy from WI who got busted in the same investigation. once. I'd need far more race contact (at least) to go the whistleblower route.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that website was eye opening to say the least. Tells you how to dose epo, how to test your own hematocrit, what supplements to take while on epo, etc. etc. Hopefully these 2 people will just be the tip of the iceberg of everyone who has gotten epo from this site.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainhard wrote:
I would go as far as saying at least 1 in the top 5 in every age group is doping or taking a supplement they don't even realize is banned substance.

I would agree with this at major races in the competitive age groups. And I do not believe any athlete in that group is unaware that the banned substances they're taking are against the rules.

Unfort we've been around and around on the debate of how to pop more age groupers many times, and there are few practical solutions.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that cheating is cheating. A cheater at last place is cut from the same cloth as a cheater in first.

However, from an enforcement perspective, I would rather see them go after the cheaters whose cheating not only impacts more people (more people finished after them), but whose cheating had a greater impact on those people (at the top, there are national championship spots lost, Kona spots lost, age group awards lost, etc.).

Not to mention, as an auditor, I wouldn't waste as much time and energy testing the MOP/BOP. There isn't as much risk of them cheating as the FOP. Great for them, they caught one, but how many did they have to test to get that one guy? They could've tested the same number of FOP and busted more, I bet.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or the website was setup by USADA?
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [RebelATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of my asthma meds are on the monitoring program, one of them is illegal if I take it rectally... The amount of caffeine needed to get popped is outrageous.

If the guy first bought EPO in 2011 and wasn't sanctioned until 2015, how long was the investigation into the supplier? How big of a network did the supplier have? May this Radcliffe fellow be the first to fall of many? Seems odd that you would only have a couple busted athletes from a "distributor" of EPO. That is a pretty small customer base.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Or the website was setup by USADA?"

to actually sell EPO? i doubt it. ballsy if they did it. but i doubt it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
It costs money to catch cheaters. mag900 has a point in that there is more value in catching the people at the top. Neither of us are saying that there is no value in catching people mid-pack, just that there is a better return on investment if they're catching the guys at the top. Best case: catch every cheater. But I don't think that you or anyone else actually thinks that catching 5 guys in the middle would be better than 5 at the top.

I disagree that more value exists at the top. It is as important to prevent cheating at the bottom of the MLB than it is to prevent it in the teams that are winning the world series. Its AS important to prevent a C+ kid form cheating as it is an A student. Everyone says "it would be better to catch the fast guys." But why? Better for whom? What would your argument be to the guy who got stuck behind the MOP cheater? Sorry, its not like you were going to win prize money anyways. Is that really the answer?

I absolutely understand that and agree there are limited resources. However, I happen to be of the belief that you can't put a price on catching a cheater. This is about preserving the integrity of the sport. Integrity exists whether prize money is won or not. So spreading out the resources a bit is going to be a good return on investment. Catching a MOP cheater is as good as catching a FOP or podium. Otherwise the take home is that MOPers can cheat because they're not "worth" the testing.

I firmly believe you have to remove any objective prize value from this. A person in last place deserves to have as fair competition within his/her AG race as the pros do in their race.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
I agree that cheating is cheating. A cheater at last place is cut from the same cloth as a cheater in first.

However, from an enforcement perspective, I would rather see them go after the cheaters whose cheating not only impacts more people (more people finished after them), but whose cheating had a greater impact on those people (at the top, there are national championship spots lost, Kona spots lost, age group awards lost, etc.).

Not to mention, as an auditor, I wouldn't waste as much time and energy testing the MOP/BOP. There isn't as much risk of them cheating as the FOP. Great for them, they caught one, but how many did they have to test to get that one guy? They could've tested the same number of FOP and busted more, I bet.

Actually I would think FOP are more at risk for testing so you may have less people cheating. <-- That is not scientifically supported, just my own educated guess so I could definitely be wrong.

If I have great odds at winning but I know the winners have a greater chance at being tested then I'm not going to risk it. But a MOPer stands far less chance to be tested bc he/she is not likely to place, so he/she may perceive less risk to cheating and can pat themselves on the back with a higher finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
Not to mention, as an auditor, I wouldn't waste as much time and energy testing the MOP/BOP.

The problem is, the racers funding drug testing/enforcement averages to be exactly MOP. As someone who isn't FOP, I'd rather just opt out of whatever extra fees I am paying to regulatory bodies if you're going to ignore any cheating that goes on after the top 3 finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Actually I would think FOP are more at risk for testing so you may have less people cheating. <-- That is not scientifically supported, just my own educated guess so I could definitely be wrong.

Kind of mine thought on it as well, whether right or not it does make a little sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
now i understand. you don't understand the difference between whether doping is more wrong amongst different athletes (it's not), whether doping is more understandable when it is done by someone who has more to gain (it is and cash/kona slots are more than bragging rights to your wife) and whether it's better for USADA and WADA to use their miniscule and finite resources in the pursuit of busting pros or top AGers (it is).

Those are all opinions. Someone who has more to gain is equally as guilty as someone without monetary money to gain. You value money. Some dude may value his promise to his kids or wife.

i also expressly said that an 11-hour AGer moves everyone behind him down 1 spot so i don't know how you read that as not taking anything away from anyone else.

No, you said "this guys 11 hour race didn't take anything away from anyone else (other than bumping everyone behind him down 1 spot in the results)." That context and parentheses belittles everyone's effort behind him.

i still am not sure why you are making up statements by me only to attack them. i think that ALL doping is wrong and am happy when any doper (fast or slow) gets busted.

Good, I agree. I'm happy no matter who gets busted. I may have been taken aback by your word choice then. Your first post was with the link and a comment about how surprised you were than an AGer cheated to get an 11 hour finish. You then said that the time does matter in your first reply to me (post #4). You continued to say someone who podiums is taking away something much more substantial. Who are you to decide what is substantial?

I'll ask the same question: is it equally as important to prevent cheating at the bottom of the NFL or MLB as it is in the Superbowl or World Series?

Trust me, I understand your view as well as other people who place value on the podium finishes. But I just haven't heard a logical argument (yet) as to why it is better for the sport to prevent cheating at the podium than within the packs. To me, the sport is the same at the top as it is the bottom.

The only thing I've heard people say is that resources are limited, so its better to make the sure proper people are getting prize money and recognition than it is to make sure the average Agers are racing clean as well. To ME, the integrity is based on money and that is a flawed approach. I admit I can be swayed though.

Didn't mean to make you sound like you advocate cheating. Not my intent at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
fe_dad wrote:

Not to mention, as an auditor, I wouldn't waste as much time and energy testing the MOP/BOP.

The problem is, the racers funding drug testing/enforcement averages to be exactly MOP. As someone who isn't FOP, I'd rather just opt out of whatever extra fees I am paying to regulatory bodies if you're going to ignore any cheating that goes on after the top 3 finished.

Great point. I think it sends a bad message to the rest of the racers, majority of whom will never be FOP or podium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what do you think is going on here, carl? do you think USADA somehow got the records of this company? interesting. i'd like to know how that happened.

In the USADA media release, they say:

"The investigation is ongoing and may result in additional cases being brought against others. USADA has worked with law enforcement to cooperatively investigate cases and values their partnership in defending clean sport."

This implies that criminal activity was going on, being investigated by law enforcement, and maybe they just passed some documents with names to USADA. Presumably they were investigating the illegal dispension of prescription drugs, which I believe is a felony crime in most, if not all, states.

The involvement of law enforcement and the threat of prison is increasingly becoming the ONLY way to practically bust PED users. Let's face it, Lance was only finally busted when his teammates spilled to the Feds. As we know, drug testing is about the least effective way of catching cheats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what do you think is going on here, carl? do you think USADA somehow got the records of this company? interesting. i'd like to know how that happened.

me too, Slowman. What are the possibilities:
1) USADA got a court order to search customer list.
2) The group cooperated with authorities.
3) Actually this is the most obvious answer: a small group was doing it together, someone found out and turned everyone in.

Most enforcement agencies do not have subpoena power. Does USADA?
Last edited by: ajthomas: Jun 5, 15 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
trainhard wrote:
I would go as far as saying at least 1 in the top 5 in every age group is doping or taking a supplement they don't even realize is banned substance.

I am not trying to be a troll here but what substances could someone be taking that would be illegal that they do not realize are banned???

i was given a script by my doctor for (it turns out OTC) med that was a combination of 3 meds and one was betamethasone (or something like that). I had no clue until a few days after taking it that it was prohibited.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:

That is fun to imagine but no way. Supplying dangerous drugs to cheats is not an acceptable means to an end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Slowman wrote:

No.

More likely:

1) The place was busted by the feds.
2) The feds handed over records to USADA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:

That is fun to imagine but no way. Supplying dangerous drugs to cheats is not an acceptable means to an end.

Entrapment?
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [fwrunco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that website was eye opening to say the least. Tells you how to dose epo, how to test your own hematocrit, what supplements to take while on epo, etc. etc. Hopefully these 2 people will just be the tip of the iceberg of everyone who has gotten epo from this site.

+1

I had no idea how easy it was to get your hands on some EPO! When is Amazon going to carry it so I can get free shipping? (joking!)

With this news and the post I saw yesterday on the BBC article on how easy it was to beat the passport, my confidence that even amateur sport is clean is going down the drain.

With AG so committed to the training and putting in the time, I can see why they would be tempted to try a little EPO to get a slot to Kona if they are close but need that something extra.

I don't see a solution to the PED problem. And a 2 yr ban isn't going to solve it, even more so when you can plead ignorance and get it reduced to a year. Heck, an injury can put you back a year. Those AG willing to play the favorable odds of not getting tested, I see why many sports have a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Slowman wrote:

My guess is #2. It seems like this is a federal investigation of illegal activity by this company, and they are trying to cooperate to reduce their punishment. Really no different than the Mitchell report's investigation of Balco, Kirk Radomski, etc for MLB. Those guys/companies did not have to disclose their client list once they were being investigated...but they did anyway.

The example of the opposite was Greg Anderson. The trainer for Barry Bonds who refused to testify before the federal grand jury and was thrown in prison for quite some time just for being in contempt of court.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper Busted [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Slowman wrote:

No.

More likely:

But you can still order EPO right through the website. I would think the FEDS would have shut it down if they were involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sends that message, but that's not a risk based testing approach.

Risk involves incentive. There just isn't as much incentive to cheat at the MOP level. I'm not saying there isn't any incentive, but there is less.

I would bet that most of the cheaters are cheating to get more than just bragging rights with the husband/wife. That means focusing on the FOP.

....and....I'm not saying entirely. I'm not saying to turn a blind eye to everyone that finishes after 3rd.

And they might be weighing their samples to be FOP-heavy, with some MOP/BOP testing, and they got a hit. I have no idea...I haven't looked at their testing methodologies.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Slowman wrote:

No.

More likely:

But you can still order EPO right through the website. I would think the FEDS would have shut it down if they were involved.

Good point. I wonder what fool will order from it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok guys 90% of the pros are on the gear most likely, they have doctors that know what they're doing to keep positives from happening probably very very easy to do out of season and cycle off for testing
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jun 5, 15 19:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next