Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [cwphilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwphilli wrote:
Apparently it fits without issue??

It fits, but that doesn't mean you should do it. Product Warning
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Gringoloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bolt spacing matches but the bar wraparound is not the same. The configuration has not been safety tested and is specifically recommended against

Also, 3D printed aluminium or even a custom cnc part would be a bad idea.
A lot of testing goes into the parts that hit the market

FYI, I'm the product design consultant for PD that came up with the HSF faceplate (among other things). It's a simple product but there is a lot behind it
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Aug 8, 21 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for responding! Any thoughts on the stem's fitment with the CF8 requiring irreversible changes to the bike (cutting) and the other fitment issues mentioned? I'd love to be using this system, and have had issues with a few of the other PD products available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that made my day, being the day I didn't crash on the bike, hahaha. I knew it was too good to be true. Thanks! What i just can't understand is why they (Canyon or PD) come up with a functional adapter. It would sell like ice cream on a sunny day and be in both companies interest. They had some similar system om the SLX rim brake version but nothing on the new one and I can't understand for the life of me why they decided to just not offer a valid solution. The stem on the old SLX is not the same on the CF disc one so getting the old stem is to get the canyon hydration system is not even an option.

As of now I'm using the PD FC 35 and it looks terrible. Even worse is that it takes for ever to get that thing on and off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gringoloco wrote:
What i just can't understand is why they (Canyon or PD) come up with a functional adapter. It would sell like ice cream on a sunny day and be in both companies interest. .

We've been discussing that since long before the bike was released. The problem is that the nosecone on the frame means that a specific faceplate would only be viable for the longer Canyon stems. So it wouldn't be a universal solution and we don't want to be sizist.

The topic comes up every week because of the frequency of enquiries and the volume Canyon is selling. But with the lead time on new alloy production - by the time we got anything new to market the Canyon set up will likely change. Feel a bit painted into a corner on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [cwphilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwphilli wrote:
Thank you for responding! Any thoughts on the stem's fitment with the CF8 requiring irreversible changes to the bike (cutting) and the other fitment issues mentioned? I'd love to be using this system, and have had issues with a few of the other PD products available.

I've not tried to fit either the 1/seventeen or AU stems to the CF (rim or disc). If I were to do it - I'd just go with the 1/seventeen stem (unless you need the drop of the AU) as you can't take advantage of the internal routing with the Canyon bar anyway. Neither PD stem matches the design language of the Bento so you're relying on the bottle to hide the stem in both cases. 1/seventeen is much lighter and cheaper than AU.

What issues have you had with PD products?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually the stem lenght of size S and M is the same - 80 mm. The guy on the video has a size M so that means that an adapter plate would work on all but the XS model. Besides, Canyon just launched this model so the frame will most likely be around for at least two more generations. I can't understand why - and yes I am a layman - a thing as simple as making those small adjustments needed could be done? I mean, many want this to work and if you hadn't posted the warning I would've order the HSF faceplate within a few minutes. if a lot of people do that without knowing, accidents might happen and that wouldn't only be bad for the poor person faceplanting on the tarmac but a hard blow to the company brand.

PD and Canyon have worked together closely for years. How come this is a tough nut to crack?

Cyclenutnz, are you in any way affiliated with Canyon or PD or have an insight there on the matter?

EDIT: Sorry the refesh rate is a bit slow. Just read that you've been working with the HSF face plate. :) Thanks for taking the time to answer the queries regarding this. So no that you have a hands on experience, do you have any suggestion to find a solution? Would it really be that impossible to expect a variation of the faceplate that fits the v21?
Last edited by: Gringoloco: Aug 8, 21 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gringoloco wrote:
Actually the stem lenght of size S and M is the same - 80 mm. The guy on the video has a size M so that means that an adapter plate would work on all but the XS model.

Did I send you that image via email?
You can see that the clearance on the CF Disc frame with a 110mm stem is less than 20mm. By leaving the tall spacer in he may just have rubber hitting the frame but even that is a risk.
If we create something that has too many caveats it just generates more hassle and risk of harm.

Quote:
Besides, Canyon just launched this model so the frame will most likely be around for at least two more generations.
Frames normally have a 6 year life cycle, other parts may change in that span. PD have a new bottle in the works, I can't speak for Canyon.

Quote:
PD and Canyon have worked together closely for years. How come this is a tough nut to crack?

As I mentioned - we discuss this constantly and have been since early 2019. There are a whole bunch of small factors that add up to make it a more complicated topic than it appears. We may come up with a way to deal with it but currently there isn't a clear path.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see, thanks for clarifying and taking the time. I guess I'm just too eager to get back to the best hydration on the market. Love the new bike but hate not being able to use the Aeria on it.

Looking forward to news about the new bottle then. Is there anything you can disclose at this time? Will it be a front hydration as well or something else? If front hydration, will there be compatibility with the V21 then? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gringoloco wrote:
I see, thanks for clarifying and taking the time. I guess I'm just too eager to get back to the best hydration on the market. Love the new bike but hate not being able to use the Aeria on it.

It is unfortunate, it's the best speed/$ upgrade for most bikes

Quote:
If front hydration, will there be compatibility with the V21 then? :)

It's a new version oriented towards disc brake bikes (don't have to allow for a rim brake caliper) but not good with nosecones I'm afraid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bottle in this picture the new one? Also, which 110mm stem is that and whats the stack height?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's a new version oriented towards disc brake bikes (don't have to allow for a rim brake caliper) but not good with nosecones I'm afraid.[/quote]
Sad to hear. :( Are you able to say anything about the releasedate? Is it an upgrade to the Aeria you are talking about or is it a completely new thing? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the HSF Aeria without rubber fairing on (hard to see clearance if it's on)
The stem doesn't exist yet, stack same as normal -17, longest will be 105mm (110 was an early design iteration sorry)
Working away on my goal of making 'mortal' bikes super.
ETA - who knows. As mentioned - alloy is quite a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gringoloco wrote:

Sad to hear. :( Are you able to say anything about the releasedate? Is it an upgrade to the Aeria you are talking about or is it a completely new thing? :)

HSF Aeria will continue for a while yet as the new one does some different things.
It's got a bunch of different features to the HSF Aeria
Release date quite a way off, bottle moulding is complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to it! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How tall is the steerer clamp on the new stem? I trimmed my steerer for the V21 stem without 25mm spacer installed, since spacers on top aren't possible. I think it has a ~36mm clamp height.

The profile of the new stem looks really nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clamp height will be in the 34-36 zone as far as I recall
The stem should be quite useful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Music to my ears. Just need a basebar with a clap area exit hole and FSA compression plug to really clean up the cables on mortal bikes.

Do you know whether the Canyon steerer tube cavity and fork cavity are continuous to route the front brake hose that way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd shine a light in at the brake cable exit on the fork leg and look down the steerer to check.
But it should be - monocoque construction means the bladder is Y shaped and gets pulled out of the steerer

All the things on your wishlist are part of the plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to hear about the wishlist! I think I'll hold off on this project until these things are released to do it all at once. Sounds great. Looked like the wing/20c already has that port but it's not the most aero looking basebar. Add that port to the Svet bars, please ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Svet bars won't be continuing, Wing20C and WingC are it. I feel you should look at the W20C more closely, there are reasons for everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I'm assuming the thickness and blunt rear is for stiffness and volume to accommodate cables better?

Btw I love the Subsonic bracket. Nice way to reduce frontal area vs undermounting. But is there any possibility of a longer pad reach version coming that has the cup mount surface in line or in front of the bar clamp? I have the Race cups all the way forward and that basically centers the cups with the bar clamp.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping to add my latest iteration to this solution and I think will be the one to stick. Added the Aeroport and bar end junction A ditching the 5port junction. I stuffed the junction B into the stem and wired everything that way. I also decided to route the front brake cable externally. With the canyon base bar the cable just bends too much to route thru the stem and I was never happy with the performance. With the external cable route I have never had better actuation with the tri rig brake, and it is still well hidden behind the fairing. I will probably cut a little cutout in the fairing.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Mar 25, 22 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just a little hint - the RS910 is meant to be held inside the rubber cover

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HA! I knew something looked a little off. Thanks