Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 di2 [FG@cekoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stem spacer with alignment tab (tab fits into the original Canyon stem)

Cutting away the alignment tab

Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 M size di2 [FG@cekoia] => M4 vs M6 screw for stem cap?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First hurdle ; )

How did you manage to lock the Aeria stem cap as Aeria uses a 6mm diameter hole with an M6 thread screw. The original canyon one is an M4 thread. Just wondering as I did not recall anyone mentioning having this issue . How did you do it ?
I can use an M6 screw and machine/tap down its end into an M4 thread so its head still fits nicely in the Aeria cap and its end in the M4 thread of the Canyon tube. But maybe there is simpler way?

Also looks like with the Aeria cap being open ended to let cables pass through, it will not fully shield the steering tube from rain. Seems, it would be easy for rain/water to end up in the steering tube and create rust issue on the long run. Any trick to avoid this ?
Thanks,

FG
Last edited by: FG@cekoia: Dec 8, 20 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 M size di2 [FG@cekoia] => M4 vs M6 screw for stem cap?? [FG@cekoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FG@cekoia wrote:
Also looks like with the aeria cap being open ended to let cable pass though, it would be easy for rain/water to end up in the steering tube and create rust issue on the long run. Any trick to avoid this ?

Look again. I think the stem "cap" is solid with no holes, like any other cap. And then the hole is above that with additional material to create a fairing of sorts to follow the shape of the rest of the stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 M size di2 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
FG@cekoia wrote:

Also looks like with the aeria cap being open ended to let cable pass though, it would be easy for rain/water to end up in the steering tube and create rust issue on the long run. Any trick to avoid this ?

Look again. I think the stem "cap" is solid with no holes, like any other cap. And then the hole is above that with additional material to create a fairing of sorts to follow the shape of the rest of the stem.

Uhm, I just checked again. Not sure if I understand what you mean by "solid" stem cap.
Looking at the original aeria installation procedure, looks like "stem cap" is supposed to be locked via M6 screw into the headset tube. Canyon cap locks into it via M4 screw and the canyon cap as a slight groove/overhang that prevent water to easily get stuck into headtube.

So still wondering how people have been able to lock the Aeria stem cover/cap with this M6 screw since Canyon uses an M4.

Original Aeria installation procedure
No mention of using different size screw or seal/cap to prevent water from going inside head tube

Aeria and Canyon caps (side by side)

Canyon's cap is a solid cap that seats on top of the head tube. Its groove locks around/seals around the top of the headtube thus limit risk of water ingress.

Last edited by: FG@cekoia: Dec 8, 20 21:25
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 M size di2 [FG@cekoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Original CanyonM4 screw from canyon (plastic cap removed)

Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 M size di2 [FG@cekoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh so the issue is that you're using the Canyon cap. The Aeria cap fully covers the steerer tube. Why not use the Aeria cap with a washer and that M4 screw?
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 M size di2 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Oh so the issue is that you're using the Canyon cap. The Aeria cap fully covers the steerer tube. Why not use the Aeria cap with a washer and that M4 screw?

Good suggestion.
Actually, I was trying to use the Aeria cap.
But reading your comment, I guess the issue is me just being too picky and expecting profile design to provide accessories for a perfect engineering fit ; )
As per your suggestion, I will use the M4 screw from Canyon for the time being before I machine a custom one .

Aeria cap with M4 screw.

BigBoyND wrote:
The Aeria cap fully covers the steerer tube.

I am still concerned about water being able to find its way into the headset tube though.(see blue arrow on the pic). I live in tropical climate. Combined with both the proximity of sea and the high mineral/salt content of local well water used for rinsing bikes , this makes it a very hard on equipment and favors corrosion.

I don't feel like removing the Aeria cap every time it rains or I wash my bike to dry the inside of the headset tube. Guess I will have to 3D print a small plastic cap to close the top of the steerer tube (blue arrow on the picture).
I also make a custom M6 head/M4 thread screw. Very traumatizing for me to use an M4 head in a M6 countersunk hole ; )) In our workshop, we avoid to do this in the outdoor equipment we manufacture as using undersized screw in countersunk hole creates a little puddle/space for water to sit on top of the head of the screw and exacerbate the corrosion issue.

Seems some suppliers on Aliexpress are actually providing Aeria kit with "head expender" (not sure how to call this) that would address the issue of closing the steerer tube. Did not see such option available on the Profile design website.

Last edited by: FG@cekoia: Dec 8, 20 23:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Issue could be ordering from Ali. I've ordered multiple of these stems from local dealers and always came with the expander.

Sure enough though, just looked at mine and there is a gap, although a much smaller one.

The top of the steerer tube should be several mm below the top of the stem, otherwise you won't be able to preload the headset. In your picture it looks like the steerer is sticking past the top of the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the Aliexpress images are of version 1, which had a different cap that required it's own compression plug
You have a V2 stem which stopped including the compression plug as the cap doesn't need anything special. Unless you have a bike that uses an uncommon small size bolt like M4
Water should pass all the way through the fork and out the legs - do you see drainage holes near the dropouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [kaczy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kaczy wrote:
zoomydu wrote:

Did you end up trying this? I'd really like to try this setup with my own XS CF...if there's any chance that it will fit.

For now this 'project' is on-hold. Decided to invest in the racing wheels first. Then - if my wallet allows - I will return to Aeria.

So I ended with PD FC-35

There was some difficulties with mounting it because of Subsonic's extended diameter (FC35 brackets cannot embrace it) but I used parts from the older bracket with straps....

At first I used given velcro straps but had an impression that it didn't hold the bottle as tight as I wish to and the assembly was bit flimsy. Changed it to good ol' zip ties and seems like FC is sitting tight between the bars...

Of course it is not so sleek and sexy as AU but I decided to go with something bit more affordable (Black Friday haul ;-) 1/3 of the AU price) and it doesn't looks so bad. Frankly it looks better when you see it with your own eyes that on the photos. Hope this helps...
Last edited by: kaczy: Dec 12, 20 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [kaczy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Pls excuse for reviving this thread. I simply ordered the Aeria faceplate which mounted nicely to my speedmax with the original bolts.

Overall fitment is pretty nice, of course not 100% with some gaps between the original stem and the bottle...

Just wondering about 2 things:

- the front brake cable is pushing the rubber a bit away from the frame as it is exiting the brake from the side...
- why I would use this Garmin mount directly in the wind, this must cost some watts... maybe I find a mount for the stem cap

Cheers
Last edited by: Heinsbush: Dec 19, 20 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Heinsbush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See cyclenutz posts. Unless he can confirm that the bolt spacing, bolt angles, and bar wrap are identical, this is asking for trouble. Just change the stem before you have a catastrophic failure
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,
Below is a photo of my Speedmax with Aeria Hydration + Aeria Stem. Everything fits perfectly but I have the Top Cap from the Specialized set, from Aeria Stem it did not fit as it should :) Thanks for the valuable tips I was guided by when choosing :)

Regards :)
Last edited by: Gamatane: Feb 11, 21 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Gamatane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the reasoning for dropping the stem? You seem to have plenty of pad space with the stem at the oem height

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can, it's almost always faster to slam the basebar and add stack with risers. Usually waaaaay easier to adjust stack that way. A lower basebar position also drops your center of gravity and will let you corner better as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Gamatane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does your bike have a carbon steerer tube? If so, does the expander plug actually go all the way down to where the stem is clamped? If not, you need to trim the steerer tube at least until it does. Probably should trim it regardless since you're able to adjust stack via risers
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
If you can, it's almost always faster to slam the basebar and add stack with risers. Usually waaaaay easier to adjust stack that way. A lower basebar position also drops your center of gravity and will let you corner better as well.

With my fit I am using the subsonic bracket and 1 5mm(prefer 0) so that I can rotate the pads to 25 degrees. My pads are also as far forward as they can go with the 100mm stem. I'd love to take the stem down 2 cm but I figure the trade off of a slimmer bento or not cutting the steerer tube wasn't worth it.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
What was the reasoning for dropping the stem? You seem to have plenty of pad space with the stem at the oem height

The main reason for lowering the stem was to get a more aggressive position during the fitting. I was expecting pad spacers to be insufficient. During the fitting, however, I was surprised because we managed to pull the goal (head and back in one line) without lowering my body significantly. However, I didn't lift the stem any higher after fitting because I like to keep my hands (especially on the home trainer while resting) where the red arrows in the picture, I have a place now. The second reason is the bike looks better ;) Fitting results in the photo :)
Last edited by: Gamatane: Feb 15, 21 0:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FG@cekoia wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Good suggestion.
Actually, I was trying to use the Aeria cap.
But reading your comment, I guess the issue is me just being too picky and expecting profile design to provide accessories for a perfect engineering fit ; )
As per your suggestion, I will use the M4 screw from Canyon for the time being before I machine a custom one .

Aeria cap with M4 screw.

BigBoyND wrote:
The Aeria cap fully covers the steerer tube.

I am still concerned about water being able to find its way into the headset tube though.(see blue arrow on the pic). I live in tropical climate. Combined with both the proximity of sea and the high mineral/salt content of local well water used for rinsing bikes , this makes it a very hard on equipment and favors corrosion.

I don't feel like removing the Aeria cap every time it rains or I wash my bike to dry the inside of the headset tube. Guess I will have to 3D print a small plastic cap to close the top of the steerer tube (blue arrow on the picture).
I also make a custom M6 head/M4 thread screw. Very traumatizing for me to use an M4 head in a M6 countersunk hole ; )) In our workshop, we avoid to do this in the outdoor equipment we manufacture as using undersized screw in countersunk hole creates a little puddle/space for water to sit on top of the head of the screw and exacerbate the corrosion issue.

Seems some suppliers on Aliexpress are actually providing Aeria kit with "head expender" (not sure how to call this) that would address the issue of closing the steerer tube. Did not see such option available on the Profile design website.

How did you resolve this? Did you end up making the custom head/thread screw? Did you 3D print a steerer tube cap? Would you mind sharing?
I have a CF 8 (eTap, same brake cable positions), Aeria stems (70 & 100) and the hydration unit arriving Tuesday.
I'd like to have this sorted ahead of an upcoming fit in two weeks a couple hours away and determine stem length at that time.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 M size di2 [cwphilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can use a regular flat stem cap
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 di2 [FG@cekoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dealing with the stock spacer before changing stems. Did you just cut the alignment tab? I'm trying to switch to the PD 1/seventeen stem, and it looks like I'll need to cut off the circle that sticks up from the stock spacer as well as that short tab that lines up with Canyon's stem so that the PD stem will fit.

Anyone done this? Good idea/bad idea? Should I just buy a different spacer?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 di2 [nmurray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nmurray wrote:
Dealing with the stock spacer before changing stems. Did you just cut the alignment tab? I'm trying to switch to the PD 1/seventeen stem, and it looks like I'll need to cut off the circle that sticks up from the stock spacer as well as that short tab that lines up with Canyon's stem so that the PD stem will fit.

Anyone done this? Good idea/bad idea? Should I just buy a different spacer?

Thanks!

Yeah, no problem in cutting it. its no big deal. Dremel might be easier than cutting.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys! I have the new Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 DISC that has a different geometry than the rim brake one. Have been looking for a way to use the Aeria Hydration on it but haven't found other info than the one that involves in changing the stem to the Profile Design one that won't look good a all.

As a layman, I'm thinking that a face plate, much like the Profile Design HSF 1/17 one, would be a way to go. Unfortunately that face plate doesn't match the Canyon v21 stem according to Profile Design. Canyon does however make a v21 in 90 mm that will be large enough to fit the hydration system.

So I was wondering if there's anyone out there who might be willing to create a CAD model of a face plate that on one side is like the PD HSF for mounting the Aeria hydration system and on the inner side, having the holes that matches the Canyon v21 stem.

I know that 3d-printing in aluminum isn't cheap and I'm too much of a novice to know if that print would meet all the requisites needed for it to be safe to use but I'm sure there are someone out there who might know or at least, point me in the direction of someone who might know.

I'm sure there are many of us who would find such and adapter very useful and I for one, am willing to pay for that. :) I live in Sweden in case there's someone close enough willing to see the parts personally.

https://www.profile-design-eu.com/...-hsf-aeria-faceplate

https://www.canyon.com/...m-medium/106426.html
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Gringoloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently it fits without issue??

Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [cwphilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wooooow! You really made my day! I've b een in contact with Profile Design previously and they assured me that the adapter wouldn't fit. Now it seems it works perfectly! Thank you so much for taking the time to post. Awesome!
Quote Reply

Prev Next