Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an interesting idea. When it came to purchasing a new bike I went "traditional" with an Argon 18 E-119.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colnagoguy wrote:
Perhaps Cervelo is trying to do an Apple strategic change and try to normalise higher pricing and go from a competition bike brand to a luxury bike brand?

I don't think this is new. P3, P3C, P4, P5, P5X, NP5. All those were introduced at the top tier of cost at the time. Cervelo isn't breaking new ground here. The latest Felt DA (now old) was introduced in 2012 at $12,500 with a $5000 frameset. And its innovation - the Bayonet fork - is hardly in the same class as what Cervelo is doing here.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 22, 19 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. The difference is "at the time". The prices are increasing at an alarming rate. Since the top tier price seams to increase with every iteration, the second tier price follows suit and it is expected that the consumers should take the bait.

I identify myself as a second tier consumer (perhaps the wrong expression, but I think you understand what I mean). I will never buy the top end; I value quality and expect to pay for it, but not at any cost - typically second tier products like Cervelo P3, S3, R3, Ultegra etc instead of P5, Dura Ace.

But now the whole price landscape has changed.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:

Or it'll just be:

Cervelo P
Available w/ 105, Ultegra, Ultegra Di2, DA Di2, Red AXS (various wheelsets, handlebars)

Cervelo PX
Available w/ Ultegra Di2, DA Di2, Red AXS (various wheelsets, handlebars)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm relatively OK with that, although I'm jealous of those who can afford a bike like this. My only concern is if more manufacturers follow. Cervelo has always been a niche brand as they only make racing bikes, so that would be pretty on character for this sort of shop. I just don't want to see Specialized, Trek, Canyon, etc follow.
Last edited by: jhammond: Mar 22, 19 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
That is an interesting idea. When it came to purchasing a new bike I went "traditional" with an Argon 18 E-119.

I've been desperately hoping for an Argon with disk brakes. Just looks like they've left it a season too late to get something to market for me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
So, I said in the P5 Disc thread that the P5x would need to be updated based upon the P5 Disc somehow being "Faster". But I was probably thinking wrongly as I thought the P3x was just gonna be a disc and really a part of the "x" family. So with that, what are the changes down the pipe for the 2020 P5x?

I'd agree. All signs point to a new P5x at Kona.

Utilising the P3x frame improvements of stiffer & lighter.
Perhaps keep the split basebars but lighten.
Include the bag.
Better wheels.
Better groupset (etap/duraace di2)

Poss slight tweak to storage/aero frame form.

I do feel sorry for Cervelo. 3 months ago, they were being told by the ST Posters (totally unbiased representative cross section of the population) that they needed to bring out something cheaper than the P5x. Ideally something that looked more like a normal bike. And something that was lighter.

So they brought out the P5d. And people said , "fine, but where do I keep my sarnies, and my iphone when I'm out and need to take a selfie? "

So they deliver the p3x, alongside the P5d, and people say, OK, so now we've got light bikes, aero, and cheaper. Can we have a more expensive one please, it's madness that I can't pay more now they've taken the P5x away that I didn't want as it was too expensive.

Someone above joked that the p5x would add an FM radio to the P3x, but honestly thinking of functionality it's pretty hard to see what 'more' you could want from a frame*.

*I do see that for some then a version with powermeter, disc wheel, and AXS/DA would be the spec they would go for and that's not in the p3x lineup at launch.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I've been desperately hoping for an Argon with disk brakes. Just looks like they've left it a season too late to get something to market for me.

Overall, I'm not really sure that much is different on this frame from the previous paint job. Considering 90% of their road bikes have disc, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the next move. I'm probably going to buy the Krypton CS.

Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another bike that wont fit me (pad x/y 510/575). I'm guessing Grill and Fishbum are shit out of luck too.

Mind you it's a tri bike and probably designed by Cervelo to be ridden like a penny farthing, as is their wont of late.

Anyone else wondering if the saddle rail/BTS configuration looks like it limits the setback quite a bit?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Anyone else wondering if the saddle rail/BTS configuration looks like it limits the setback quite a bit?
Noticed it but a closer look showed the cage can be mounted in a lower position too.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

I do feel sorry for Cervelo. 3 months ago, they were being told by the ST Posters (totally unbiased representative cross section of the population) that they needed to bring out something cheaper than the P5x. Ideally something that looked more like a normal bike. And something that was lighter.

So they brought out the P5d. And people said , "fine, but where do I keep my sarnies, and my iphone when I'm out and need to take a selfie? "

So they deliver the p3x, alongside the P5d, and people say, OK, so now we've got light bikes, aero, and cheaper. Can we have a more expensive one please, it's madness that I can't pay more now they've taken the P5x away that I didn't want as it was too expensive.

Someone above joked that the p5x would add an FM radio to the P3x, but honestly thinking of functionality it's pretty hard to see what 'more' you could want from a frame*.

*I do see that for some then a version with powermeter, disc wheel, and AXS/DA would be the spec they would go for and that's not in the p3x lineup at launch.

It's frustrating but this is how consumers operate in every market. If you're a car guy, you'll notice that any and every car that is released is too expensive, too low on power, etc according to the masses
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Not what I was expecting honestly. Was expecting a P3 Disc non beam bike.

$10k or $8k. Doesn't really seem to be targeting the existing P3 owner crowd.

I was at an event 2 days ago where Cervelo presented the bike. In his presentation he called it "affordable" generating some chuckles in the audience. He then clarified and said affordable for a certain segment.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But comparing it to the P5X it is considerably more affordable.

I just don't think it is realistic to expect a bike like this with Ultegra Di2 to be $4k or $5k...Im not sure where this expectation comes from, especially when you consider the P5X pricing.

Are there bikes with Ultegra Di2 that are lower priced? Sure...but they are not like this bike nor do they have the P5X legacy as a starting point.

Maybe I'm in the minority with this reasoning. I like the bike. But I like the P5X too.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [justridingalong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the pricing for what you get sounds about right. Having said that, I think we are wanting a slightly lesser bike for a lower price. These new prices are driving me away from—not toward—disc brakes. I agree with Dan than QR has to feel really good about their price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colnagoguy wrote:
Exactly. The difference is "at the time". The prices are increasing at an alarming rate. Since the top tier price seams to increase with every iteration, the second tier price follows suit and it is expected that the consumers should take the bait.

I identify myself as a second tier consumer (perhaps the wrong expression, but I think you understand what I mean). I will never buy the top end; I value quality and expect to pay for it, but not at any cost - typically second tier products like Cervelo P3, S3, R3, Ultegra etc instead of P5, Dura Ace.

But now the whole price landscape has changed.

No it hasn’t. The p5 disc is literally the exact same price as the p5 was 5 years ago. The x platform is more expensive because of what it is and how hard the mold is to make. This shouldn’t come as a surprise when you look at the p5x prices.

Wait till they introduce the p3 disc bike at some point and the price point will probably be the same as the what the old p3 rim brake bike is.

In 2006 when I bought a p3c frameset with no bars it was 3600. You can get a new p5 disc frameset for 5000 with a bar now for a much faster frameset. Prices have been pretty darn stable or decreasing in a lot of cases. Now the p3 frameset is 2800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not remarking on whether it's the right price or not for the P3X... But calling it "affordable" is pretty funny. It's like calling a Ferrari F8 "affordable". Yeah... When you're standard is a La Ferarri.

Even among triathletes $8k to $10k is still a very expensive bike. And the $8k one doesn't come with race wheels.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, the 5k frameset price of the P5D is the same as the top end Felt in 2012 or whenever it came out. Cervelo is not cranking up the prices, it's the wheels and components. Has anyone noticed how much wheels have grown in price over the last 7-8 years?

Look at SRAM, the new AXS is brilliant but far more expensive than the prior Etap system...is that due to the improved technology and innovation or them trying to improve the margin on this gen system?

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like anything in this world...it's all relative. In this case, it is DEFINITELY more affordable than the P5X. You can't deny that fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoke to my mechanic at Moxie. Always full of knowledge. He had some time and showed me some stuff on the new P5 frame that came from some of the Mountain Bike guys when it came to the design. He's quite pleased with how easy it is to wrench. We also looked at the mono-riser and how easy it is to disassemble as I also talked about flying with my bike to Michigan and what Cervelo has done for the P5 and P3x. He was really into all the new stuff that they've done with both designs. So that's a selling point if I had been in the market for a bike.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Mar 23, 19 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justridingalong wrote:
But comparing it to the P5X it is considerably more affordable.

You've been tricked by the "halo effect". Manufacturers make a super expensive product to make their other ones seem more valuable as well. Humans are excellent at one thing - comparing. We are terrible at another thing - objective reasoning.

https://conversionxl.com/blog/halo-effect/

You are deciding the bike's value by comparing it to another bike the manufacturer makes that is completely unrealistic. Notice that Cervelo hardly sells any of those P5x's and doesn't really care if they do - they just want some out there to be seen so they can raise the price of the rest of their bikes for more profit. Car manufacturers do it all the time.

https://www.autobytel.com/...er-the-years-129642/

We even do it with people, called the "cheerleader effect".

Any time you find yourself or somebody reasoning that something's worth by comparing, back up and double-check you are figuring out the value based on what it has, not what it's sitting next to.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Mar 23, 19 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tricked? Ha.

At the end of the day, affordability is relative. Some people buy a bike every year...others buy one every ten years. You don't shop for a $1 million dollar house and complain about the price to the realtor if your budget is $300k. Same principal applies to bikes I guess.

If you can't afford it...fine. If you or someone else can...thats fine too. Car manufacturers make cars at all different price points. Some bottles of wine are $200 while others are $20.

I don't find this pricing out of the realm of the pricing of any other 'super bike' or high end product. Are there options less expensive? Yes. Are there options more expensive" Definitely. Would it be cool if it was less expensive? Sure...would MORE people find it affordable? Probably. But walk around any Ironman race and you will see that plenty of people feel that $8k to $15k is perfectly reasonable (maybe even affordable for them?) amount of money to spend on a bike.

Summary: I can see your point, but you should be open to seeing my point as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with this. I have a friend who I train with and he and I were talking earlier in the year about races we wanted to do. He mentioned Campeche as a good option for us and our spouses. I said it could be but would need to think on it due the time off from work and other plans we have. He replied, 'we can just take my private jet and down the morning of the race, and then back after if time was short'.

Some people live in very different contexts and what would be crazy or terribly expensive to one, is quite feasible or inexpensive to another.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
I'm pretty sure Cervelo will move, in order to counter Felt and QR mid-range disk brakes Tri bikes (4-7k€ range).
And also to counter next move from Trek and the big bad wolf.... Canyon

Cervelo P3 Disk, very similar to the P5 Disk, with similar (not yet satisfying) storage ?
4k€ for Ultegra mechanical + basic wheels
6k€ for Ultegra di2 + reasonable wheels

First pictures leak in Kona, then a 25 pages ST thread riddled with frustration of "why not yet launched" before an official presentation in march 2020 ?

4k (P3)
6k (P3)
8k (P5 + P3X)
10k (P3X)
12k (P5 + P5X)
16k (P5X)

looks like a stepped range :-)

my guess is that the P5X is going away. i may be wrong. maybe they'll reintroduce it based on the P3X frame and add some doodads to make it worth whatever the extra is. maybe bring back the 2pc pursuit bar and/or the travel case. maybe add an AM/FM radio. but the P3X is going to be the best frame in the PX platform, that's my guess. anything new will be a riff off this frame.

the old P5 mold and the U.S-built P5X mold will be retired is my guess.

which leaves us with the P2 and P3. i think QR has a strategic advantage over everyone else right now with the PR4 disc. If you want a really nice, well made, disc brake tri bike and you want to spend in the range of $3000, this is your bike. plus, because they have both paint and assembly at their chattanooga hdqt, they have some logistical mobility. this brand is ahead of everyone in this regard: canyon, cervelo, felt, specialized, trek. nobody can match this. are they making money? how well are they executing? i have no idea.

all of this could change tomorrow. but strategically that's how i see it. while cervelo did an outstanding, really outstanding, job with its aerobars, QR is relying on profile design, and PD is killing it with its aerobars. QR is saying, we'll stick to frames, we'll trust QR to make the bars. this has been a good wager for QR. the one area where cervelo has an advantage in front ends is with the speed riser. only tririg has realized the strategic advantage of this and has picked up on it.

so, pardon the digression, but cervelo is the other disc brake tri bike maker, besides QR, that is hitting on all cylinders right now, and yes, i think you're right to assume that the next time you hear from cervelo about new tri bikes it'll be with a focus on the P2 and P3. i don't know this. but it would be the logical choice. what i can say is that i don't think anybody should wait to buy their sub-$4000 cervelo tri bikes. i have no tri bikes for the next several months on my "launch" calendar, tho i do have a tickler to check in with specialized on when the new shiv disc is shipping.

Given the P3X only comes with Ultegra Di2, it makes no sense to get rid of the frame (P5X) that has top of the line components, unless, they are replacing the P5X with a new model or they will release a P3X with top line components and wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Manufacturers make a super expensive product to make their other ones seem more valuable as well. Humans are excellent at one thing - comparing.

Somehow I doubt that Cervelo had the P5X out there for three years to set up the P3X via halo effect.

More likely they figured out the P5X was just too expensive, so they cut costs in manufacturing.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 23, 19 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Manufacturers make a super expensive product to make their other ones seem more valuable as well. Humans are excellent at one thing - comparing.

Somehow I doubt that Cervelo had the P5X out there for three years to set up the P3X via halo effect.

More likely they figured out the P5X was just too expensive, so they cut costs in manufacturing.

Cervélo did their media release of the P5X at Kona in 2016, so it’s been around less than 2.5 years, and didn’t really start selling multiple sizes until 2017. It wasn’t until 2018 that an owners thread popped up on ST (with very few actual owners discussing their bikes on ST) so I’m not sure how other halo bikes have sold, but I would guess that it’s been a very difficult price point to move these bikes. Some of their pros chose to race using their P5 instead, along with the bike weighing 22 pounds hasn’t helped push any sales. Yes, weight might not be importent on a flat course, but it is on hillier courses and who really wants an unloaded stripped down bike starting at 22 pounds. Throw on your hydration, food, and flat kit and you have a 26+ pound bike. I also remember seeing brand new P5Xs on eBay early last year for more than 35% off retail from bike shops trying to unload their inventory. All the preceding, along with bikes being at peak aero for a while, per Kiley’s aero shootout, sounds like the tri buying market gave it an overall meh.

The P3X and P5D look more interesting, but most top bikes released in the last 10 years are probably almost as aero. A tri rig front end, on an older P3 with a rear disc wheel might even be more aero than these non rear disc wheel bikes.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Mar 23, 19 20:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next