Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mate..!.! I’ll be one of the first of ogle...I mean look at your new pony if you get one.!.! And no jealousy whatsoever....does look nice, and would look great in my garage next to my R3....
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Ultegra di2 + 32mm alu wheels (training wheels) :

P5 Disk : 7500€
P3X : 8000€

Wow, so now even Cervelo's mid priced offering is beyond the reach of most people. Is this really the direction we want to move triathlon in? Will other manufacturers follow with similarly priced mid level offerings?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just hang in there for the P2X, it'll come with Ultegra di2, shallower wheels, and be the bargain price of 7500€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Wow, so now even Cervelo's mid priced offering is beyond the reach of most people. Is this really the direction we want to move triathlon in? Will other manufacturers follow with similarly priced mid level offerings?

I wonder what the true cost of making their bikes are. I've seen from multiple media & industry sources that margins on bikes are thin as it is. You'd think there has to be a heckuva mark up at these prices. R & D costs a lot I'm sure, like pharmaceuticals biz, but some of these bike & wheel companies just have to tank/go out of business if they can't bring down the prices. After all, there isn't a huge tri market vs a road or mountain bike market. I think the new P5D just seems like it is $2K overpriced. I wouldn't buy one for $7500. I'll stick with my 2010 P3. Actually, I'm thinking the FELT is a really good deal, or a Quintana Roo for what you get for the money.

Cervelo--are you listening?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
jhammond wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

I wonder what the true cost of making their bikes are. I've seen from multiple media & industry sources that margins on bikes are thin as it is. You'd think there has to be a heckuva mark up at these prices. R & D costs a lot I'm sure, like pharmaceuticals biz, but some of these bike & wheel companies just have to tank/go out of business if they can't bring down the prices. After all, there isn't a huge tri market vs a road or mountain bike market. I think the new P5D just seems like it is $2K overpriced. I wouldn't buy one for $7500. I'll stick with my 2010 P3. Actually, I'm thinking the FELT is a really good deal, or a Quintana Roo for what you get for the money.

Cervelo--are you listening?

No, Cervelo isn't.

They are still the number one brand in tri, why should they?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I said in the P5 Disc thread that the P5x would need to be updated based upon the P5 Disc somehow being "Faster". But I was probably thinking wrongly as I thought the P3x was just gonna be a disc and really a part of the "x" family. So with that, what are the changes down the pipe for the 2020 P5x?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, I said in the P5 Disc thread that the P5x would need to be updated based upon the P5 Disc somehow being "Faster". But I was probably thinking wrongly as I thought the P3x was just gonna be a disc and really a part of the "x" family. So with that, what are the changes down the pipe for the 2020 P5x?

I'd agree. All signs point to a new P5x at Kona.

Utilising the P3x frame improvements of stiffer & lighter.
Perhaps keep the split basebars but lighten.
Include the bag.
Better wheels.
Better groupset (etap/duraace di2)

Poss slight tweak to storage/aero frame form.

Funny thing is, P3x is better frame, but if wanting the split bars, case & wheel upgrade you are probably looking at close to P5x price anyway.
At least a lighter/stiffer version however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
None. I read elsewhere it’s being discontinued.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excuse my ignorance, but would it be realistic to see a non disc version og the p3x (like a p2x), as i would assume that could drive cost down significantly, or are they simply settled into disc now?

I'm just thinking of the future for buyers, now you can either buy and old p2/p3, or you have to take a gigantic jump to these super expensive bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd wager very unlikely.

The future is disc brakes whether we chose to get on board now or in a few years.

All the tech, aero and focus is around this area. Highly doubt further development on rim brake models will occur.

Some shops are still only selling 20-30%of bikes as discs, others up near 40-50% I hear.
I thought it would be a lot higher by now but guess we are slow to change.

I know I'm only looking at disc models for my next TT and road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
I'd wager very unlikely.

The future is disc brakes whether we chose to get on board now or in a few years.

All the tech, aero and focus is around this area. Highly doubt further development on rim brake models will occur.

Some shops are still only selling 20-30%of bikes as discs, others up near 40-50% I hear.
I thought it would be a lot higher by now but guess we are slow to change.

I know I'm only looking at disc models for my next TT and road bike.
Yeah thanks, that is what i guessed. I just hope the prices on disc comes down then, because they leave a lot of the nicer bikes out of reach for most people. E.g. compare the p3x in price to a Canyon CF SLX for example.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Cervelo will move, in order to counter Felt and QR mid-range disk brakes Tri bikes (4-7k€ range).
And also to counter next move from Trek and the big bad wolf.... Canyon

Cervelo P3 Disk, very similar to the P5 Disk, with similar (not yet satisfying) storage ?
4k€ for Ultegra mechanical + basic wheels
6k€ for Ultegra di2 + reasonable wheels

First pictures leak in Kona, then a 25 pages ST thread riddled with frustration of "why not yet launched" before an official presentation in march 2020 ?

4k (P3)
6k (P3)
8k (P5 + P3X)
10k (P3X)
12k (P5 + P5X)
16k (P5X)

looks like a stepped range :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect cervelo is gonna simplify their naming. Next bike they release is gonna be a p2 disc, making their lineup: p5 disc, p3x, p2 disc. Nice and simple and no conflicting x's and discs and such.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
None. I read elsewhere it’s being discontinued.

I was wondering if that was Dan's next 'special' news for p5x owners, that they are going to own the last versions of the x family made by HED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:

Just look at it. It's a slightly modified P5x. And this is the price at release so lower spec models may come. What price were you expecting for this spaceship?

I can guess what you're implying by "direction" triathlon is moving in, but the existence of Ferraris doesn't impact availability of Hondas. There are still plenty of affordable tri bikes out there. I'm glad we get to have both. While I probably won't own a P3x, I think it's neat and hope such bikes keep coming.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Mar 22, 19 4:45
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I was wondering if that was Dan's next 'special' news for p5x owners, that they are going to own the last versions of the x family made by HED.

no. there's a particular technical element about the P5X that makes this element superior to what you see on the P3X, at least for certain riders. while the P3X holds advantages over the P5X in weight and frame stiffness, the P5X has virtues of its own that are favored by riders who have a fair bit of miles under each bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Cervelo P3X [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
I'm pretty sure Cervelo will move, in order to counter Felt and QR mid-range disk brakes Tri bikes (4-7k€ range).

Cervelo P3 Disk, very similar to the P5 Disk, with similar (not yet satisfying) storage ?

First pictures leak in Kona, then a 25 pages ST thread riddled with frustration of "why not yet launched" before an official presentation in march 2020 ?

4k (P3)
6k (P3)
8k (P5 + P3X)
10k (P3X)
12k (P5 + P5X)
16k (P5X)

my guess is that the P5X is going away. i may be wrong. maybe they'll reintroduce it based on the P3X frame and add some doodads to make it worth whatever the extra is. maybe bring back the 2pc pursuit bar and/or the travel case. maybe add an AM/FM radio. but the P3X is going to be the best frame in the PX platform, that's my guess. anything new will be a riff off this frame.

the old P5 mold and the U.S-built P5X mold will be retired is my guess.

which leaves us with the P2 and P3. i think QR has a strategic advantage over everyone else right now with the PR4 disc. If you want a really nice, well made, disc brake tri bike and you want to spend in the range of $3000, this is your bike. plus, because they have both paint and assembly at their chattanooga hdqt, they have some logistical mobility. this brand is ahead of everyone in this regard: canyon, cervelo, felt, specialized, trek. nobody can match this. are they making money? how well are they executing? i have no idea.

all of this could change tomorrow. but strategically that's how i see it. while cervelo did an outstanding, really outstanding, job with its aerobars, QR is relying on profile design, and PD is killing it with its aerobars. QR is saying, we'll stick to frames, we'll trust QR to make the bars. this has been a good wager for QR. the one area where cervelo has an advantage in front ends is with the speed riser. only tririg has realized the strategic advantage of this and has picked up on it.

so, pardon the digression, but cervelo is the other disc brake tri bike maker, besides QR, that is hitting on all cylinders right now, and yes, i think you're right to assume that the next time you hear from cervelo about new tri bikes it'll be with a focus on the P2 and P3. i don't know this. but it would be the logical choice. what i can say is that i don't think anybody should wait to buy their sub-$4000 cervelo tri bikes. i have no tri bikes for the next several months on my "launch" calendar, tho i do have a tickler to check in with specialized on when the new shiv disc is shipping.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

my guess is that the P5X is going away. i may be wrong. maybe they'll reintroduce it based on the P3X frame and add some doodads to make it worth whatever the extra is. maybe bring back the 2pc pursuit bar and/or the travel case. maybe add an AM/FM radio. but the P3X is going to be the best frame in the PX platform, that's my guess. anything new will be a riff off this frame.

which leaves us with the P2 and P3. i think QR has a strategic advantage over everyone else right now with the PR4 disc. If you want a really nice, well made, disc brake tri bike and you want to spend in the range of $3000, this is your bike. plus, because they have both paint and assembly at their chattanooga hdqt, they have some logistical mobility. this brand is ahead of everyone in this regard: canyon, cervelo, felt, specialized, trek. nobody can match this. are they making money? how well are they executing? i have no idea.

all of this could change tomorrow. but strategically that's how i see it. while cervelo did an outstanding, really outstanding, job with its aerobars, QR is relying on profile design, and PD is killing it with its aerobars. QR is saying, we'll stick to frames, we'll trust QR to make the bars. this has been a good wager for QR. the one area where cervelo has an advantage in front ends is with the speed riser. only tririg has realized the strategic advantage of this and has picked up on it.

so, pardon the digression, but cervelo is the other disc brake tri bike maker, besides QR, that is hitting on all cylinders right now, and yes, i think you're right to assume that the next time you hear from cervelo about new tri bikes it'll be with a focus on the P2 and P3. i don't know this. but it would be the logical choice. what i can say is that i don't think anybody should wait to buy their sub-$4000 cervelo tri bikes. i have no tri bikes for the next several months on my "launch" calendar, tho i do have a tickler to check in with specialized on when the new shiv disc is shipping.

Interesting Cervelo would move to discontinue their most premium platform. Obviously they did more designing when it came to a downstream platform of course...but it wouldn't make much sense to me to just discontinue the platform. But I suppose it will be like the latter...This is the new frame, but here are the differences--Price a Doohickies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Interesting Cervelo would move to discontinue their most premium platform. Obviously they did more designing when it came to a downstream platform of course...but it wouldn't make much sense to me to just discontinue the platform. But I suppose it will be like the latter...This is the new frame, but here are the differences--Price a Doohickies.

i don't see it as a discontinuation. to me, the platform is the PX. the spec differentiates it. so, perhaps when the P3X is spec'd with dura ace or red electronic, and maybe the split pursuit comes back (don't know) it's the P5X. just, i think what you saw here is the reintroduction of this platform. i also don't think it's their most premium platform. it's tied with the new P5, and each is differentiated by use case, not by heirarchy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo may create that as their most premium offering, but gosh, to the non-slow twitcher who looks at Beam Bikes as the thing, it doesn't really send the correct signals when it comes to Marketing.

And yes, I'm giving direct feedback to that idea and stating it is an issue.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Mar 22, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Cervelo may create that as their most premium offering, but gosh, to the non-slow twitcher who looks at Beam Bikes as the thing, it doesn't really send the correct signals when it comes to Marketing.

i don't understand what you have a problem with. can you restate it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but i wasn't referencing any performance difference, just the fact that it might be the last chance to own a hed built p5x.
Always was a fan of Steve Hed, and would love to own one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

4k (P3)
6k (P3)
8k (P5 + P3X)
10k (P3X)
12k (P5 + P5X)
16k (P5X)

My guess is the P5X stays in the line up but not as it is now. It will be made in the same factory as the P3X, utilizes the P3X molds, has the split aerobar which they start making in house, and has Dura Ace Di2 and SRAM Red eTap AXS components to justify the higher price. Maybe they use a different carbon lay up to make it even lighter than the P3X as well but it will be mostly a component difference. They did it a few years ago when the 2-series in their line ups were 105 bikes, the 3's were Ultegra and the 5's were Dura Ace or eTap.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Then stop looking at beam bikes as the thing... It's a means to an end. If the end is the same, who cares what it looks like
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps Cervelo is trying to do an Apple strategic change and try to normalise higher pricing and go from a competition bike brand to a luxury bike brand?
Quote Reply

Prev Next